Strategy Analysis: TSS teams

Hariyams is great with TSS, Knock Off stuff, or just Focus Punch it on the switch, if you predict a Dusclops or whatnot trying to take a weak FP, Whirlwind it out for some nice Spikage damage :)

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've had some luck using Kabutops as a surprise.

Look at the stats:

HP: 60
Attack: 110 (329 max nuetral)
Defense: 105
SA: 65
SD: 70
Speed: 80 (284 max with Jolly)

I make my Kabutops a Sub-flailer. Immunity to Sandstorm lets Kabutops pull this off.

Kabutops@Salac
Jolly Nature
Sub
Swords Dance
Flail
HP Ghost/Rock Slide

After something gets KO'd, switch it in on something slower and Sub. My experience is people switch to a fast electric with TBolt and start Tbolting your subs. Basically you Sub down untill Salac Boost, then Swords Dance, then Flail the enemy into oblivion. I find HP Ghost works best for the Gengars and random Psychics that show up. Gets nerfed by Steel types, but you have other members (STAB EQ) for that. Absolutely NASTY with Spikes support.

Kabutops' attack is not particularly good, and without stab flail really isn't going to bust anything open.

EDIT: if your opponent switches out from kabutops, this could definetely work, yes. However, who is actually afraid enough of kabutops to switch out?

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Usually what happens is: Slow pokemon KOs whatever.

Switch in Kabutops.

Kabutops Subs.
Opponent either breaks sub or switches to something faster than Kabutops (I usually end up drawing Tbolting Gengars in for some reason.

They break your Sub, you SUb again.

Repeat untill Salac Boost, Swords Dance.

Flail and Rock Slide/HP Ghost things to death.

Some Suggestions For TSS guide...

sounds good in theory. might not always work, but it sounds good. and NNEM, how is 115 atk "not particularly good"? sounds good to me.

anyway, for the guide itself...

*Yawn can also work as a possible move to make the opponent switch.
either that or they fall asleep and become useless (unless they got sleep talk). Blastoise is a good example of a poke to do this with. his SAtk isnt bad, his defenses are nice, + he can spin, haze AND Yawn. :D (probably dont want all of those in the same set, just get 1 or 2 of what u need most, if u use all 3 in the same set go ahead). Quagy and Relicanth can also yawn, and both are 4x weak to grass anyway but relicanth has 5 more base HP...but, Quagy does get water absorb.

*Leech Seed is another good option. either the opponent switches or they lose 1/8th of their HP per turn. tell me that isnt good! :naughty: ...:| anyway, Cacturne can learn this, and due to his trait, he gets heightened evasiveness thx to Ttar + is immune to sand. plus, both his SAtk and Atk are 115 base, if u need a little offense.

also, Sandslash makes a nice rapid spinner, and is slightly faster than Donphan. if Boah or somethin else tries to sub, hes just fast enough to spin before hand. and his physical defense and attack arent bad...but of course, when it comes to just those two areas alone, donphan is better.

also, not just flygon, but Aero makes an excellent physical sweep. hes resistant to sandstorm, and is uberfast ^_^.

hope this helps.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Zapdos and Gengar is really good in TSS teams. Zapdos really helps TSS teams that tends to have problems with Water pokemon. Gengar and Zapdos are both immune to Spikes, which has nothing to do with Sandstream, but it's still nice =]

Celebi is also cool, since it is immune to Surf, EQ, and Thunderbolt, Leaf Blade which most of the TSS teams are pretty weak to. It can also Recover so, it is very durable. It can also abuse Spikes with Leech Seed and whatnot. A great support Pokemon, indeed.

Also, as stated before, bulky water like Suicune and Milotic are nice, since most TSS teams do not have the offense to take down Ground pogeys.

whoa i totally forgot i wrote this. anyway i edited the main article & included above posts.

i know this is old but i never really finished it cause of college and stuff. sorry for bumping it

Wait....Sand Veil increases Evasion EVERY turn? Is it a Double Team quality evasion increase, or something less?

Glion and Kaburaisu in D/P both get Sand Veil. Combined with Kabarudon as a starter (Sandstream and Stealth Rock), TSS could come back in D/P. Or at least not be as suckish.

I've had some luck using Kabutops as a surprise.

Look at the stats:

HP: 60
Attack: 110 (329 max nuetral)
Defense: 105
SA: 65
SD: 70
Speed: 80 (284 max with Jolly)

I make my Kabutops a Sub-flailer. Immunity to Sandstorm lets Kabutops pull this off.

Kabutops@Salac
Jolly Nature
Sub
Swords Dance
Flail
HP Ghost/Rock Slide

After something gets KO'd, switch it in on something slower and Sub. My experience is people switch to a fast electric with TBolt and start Tbolting your subs. Basically you Sub down untill Salac Boost, then Swords Dance, then Flail the enemy into oblivion. I find HP Ghost works best for the Gengars and random Psychics that show up. Gets nerfed by Steel types, but you have other members (STAB EQ) for that. Absolutely NASTY with Spikes support.
Reversal Scizor can do this too; I like him better.
Scizor @ Salac Berry
EVs: see Analysis
Jolly/Adamant Nature
~ Reversal
~ Swords Dance
~ HP Ghost
~ Substitute/Endure

He KOs alot of stuff in the storm due to Spikes and no Lefovers recovery. plus he has 20 Base Attack higher than Kabutops.

@ TC: Consider Registeel as a Special Tank. He has 140-150 Base SDef (i forgot which), and is immune to the Sandstorm. Only weakness (special) is fire, too, which TTar can handle.

I personally have never really liked leading with TTar for TSS. I prefer the CBer/Tank lead that is more likely to cause a switch, and then focus on Spikes before I send out TTar, since SS when the opponent isn't injured yet doesn't really do anything, and puts you both at equal risk of losing ground in the early goings.

Celebi with PSong/LeechSeed/Recover/attack is a fun option for TSS, just too easy to force switches, as well as Sandslash with something like Sub/Sand Attack/EQ/RS.

Nice. I am suddenly pormpted to make a TSS team.

Also, Sand Veil makes Cacturne immune to Sandstorm. And Cacturne is a nice special attacker. :)

hey I know you guys all think that he is worthless, but Shuckle with Toxic/Wrap/Rest/Protect can help out a lot to drain opponents down while the sandstorm/spikes/wrap/toxic all work toward whithering the HP down. Shuckle deserves a mention here, but to counter steel and poison types + snorlax who cant be toxic'd, use a will-o-wisping dusclops too. dont even think about using a tss team in a Legendary-allowed battle because almost everyone has a Kyogre or Groudon and even Rayquaza can destroy what you were going for with the Sandstorm.

P.S. Will-O-Wisp owns the attackers who you might think would beat a tss team, because Metagross/Tyranitar/Salamence/Swampert to a degree are all destroyed when their attack is plundered.

overall a very fun type of team to use.

From my experience Wishing Salamence does well it TTS teams being able to Toxic waters and a good Heracross counter is never bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)