Pokémon Starmie [Revamp]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Expert Belt somewhat viable on the offensive set? I'm not sure it is, but it can bluff a choiced set (even though they're not quite viable for Starmie), won't make it lose HP everytime it attacks (I know Starmie is not the bulkiest of mons so this argument is probably irrelevant, but oh well) and still makes Starmie hit kinda hard with super effective moves and/or on the switch. On the other hand, 299 SpAtk (298 with HP Fire) is not that mighty compared to other mons in the OU metagame, so Starmie probably needs all the power it can get with Life Orb to be effective, right?

Also, I don't fully understand the EV spread for the Reflect Type set. Would someone be kind enough to explain it to me?
I've been trying Expert Belt over life Orb and it's not really working. Life Orb recoil damage seems to hurt when Rapid Spinning, but the Expert Belt seems like it would be decent if you ran Thunderbolt over Rapid Spin. If that's the case, you may as well run Life orb since you aren't spinning anyway. I'd say the life orb should always be used over Expert Belt on Starmie (even if it hurts to spin).

In case you're not trolling:

0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 350-414 (96.9 - 114.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 216-256 (59.8 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Clefable Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 214-254 (59.2 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

68 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 248-294 (68.6 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also, idk why tanking super effective hits is the norm... Starmie also has a far bigger chance of being able to spin in a pinch as it outspeeds almost the entire unboosted meta whereas Excadrill has rather mediocre speed without Sand Rush in sand.
that doesnt make starmie any bulkier lmao

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Its niche is reflect type as well as being fast enough to outspeed key threats such as Gengar and Latios, idk why you are so reluctant on accepting this niche that starmie has, and you obviously haven't used starmie before if you are making such false claims. It's not being about having the same bulk as Lugia or Ferrothorn you know.

Any thoughts about using Starmie over Scarf Keldeo on a rain team? They both would serve similar revenge killing roles but I'm leaning towards keeping Keldeo. I thought about swapping kabutops but I need a talonflame check.

Why would you ever not run Play Rough on any Azumarill set though?
There's very little coverage lost running Knock Off over Play Rough (most mono-resists like Keldeo still can't take Waterfall for example), and more importantly the accuracy is perfect. If you're wanting Azumarill to do some serious damage, the amount of misses racked up with Play Rough really does hurt (I play Trick Room, so it's particularly annoying when your +6 Play Rough misses and you get burned by Rotom-W, that never happens with Knock Off).

But enough of this digression, I was simply pointing out that the Starmie set was pretty good.

Any thoughts about using Starmie over Scarf Keldeo on a rain team? They both would serve similar revenge killing roles but I'm leaning towards keeping Keldeo. I thought about swapping kabutops but I need a talonflame check.
I'd actually argue for Keldeo more, mainly because it seems Knock off or Shadow Ball is everywhere and both hit Starmie hard. But it really depends on your team.

I'd actually argue for Keldeo more, mainly because it seems Knock off or Shadow Ball is everywhere and both hit Starmie hard. But it really depends on your team.
Lolwut? Shadow Ball is nowhere.

Anyway, I'd say Starmie works well as a Keldeo replacement if you really want to hit those base 110s; and I suppose Serperior.

Has anyone used a 4 attacks Starmie at all? I'm curious how well Starmie can pull that off. I mean it's faster then all the 110s and it's got a ton of coverage moves to force switches and get that Analytic boost. But on the other hand not having Rapid Spin kinda feels like a waste.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Has anyone used a 4 attacks Starmie at all? I'm curious how well Starmie can pull that off. I mean it's faster then all the 110s and it's got a ton of coverage moves to force switches and get that Analytic boost. But on the other hand not having Rapid Spin kinda feels like a waste.
Seems like a meh idea, I mean you said it yourself - I'd use some other offensive water if it wasn't for the utility and team support of rapid spin.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yes, the main reason to use starmie is the rapid spin support. While a 4 attack starmie certainly sounds appealing the main reason to use starmie is to how difficult it is too spinblock and how much stuff fears switching into it providing plenty of opportunities to spin hazards away (regarding the offensive spinner variant). Having a spinner so threatening like this is pretty huge so it is indeed a waste to forget about rapid spin.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Lets spark some discussion cause this mon is causing an impact but more of an impact that I would ever have anticipated. Starmie is now the best rapid spinner in the tier cause it doesnt have to fulfill a secondary role as a sweeper in sand. But this arise some questions:

- Would you consider starmie a "splashable" mon? splashable in the sense that, if you are looking for a spinner that could do its job most of the time, you consider putting a starmie there most of the time?

- Considering the state of the metagame atm and considering the established return of spikestacking, rapid spin > defog?

- Would you consider starmie a mon that is "consistent" at doing its job? Regardless of set and potentially annoying 50/50s, it will pull off its job during the match?

- 4 attacks starmie?? The metagame has been progressing and at this point, it is a good idea to considering running an all-out attacker starmie in offensive builds if you dont have SR weak mons??

Also, bumping the thread to say the OP has been updated to be as clean as possible, removed unviable or uncommon choices and leave the rest to your imagination (and so people remember this updated thread exists).

Cheers!

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay so these thoughts are gonna be kinda out of order since I responded to what interested me the most and then re-read the full post and decided to tackle other parts lol. I think Starmie is pretty splashable although maybe not as much as Latis just because they are also immune to spikes / tspikes and a ground immunity is a great thing in teambuilding. They're also pretty solid checks to Landorus so that helps as well.

4 attacks LO Starmie is actually pretty cool to throw onto a team that has another hazard remover. I like BoltBeam + Hydro Pump + HP Fire although Psyshock of course is good as well. The thing is if you have 2 hazard removers on the team your opponent can't always guess which is which and Starmie is actually a pretty decent sweeper/wallbreaker when you can utilize its full coverage.

Also while I do think Rapid Spin is generally better than Defog, the rise of stuff like Rocky Helmet Garchomp can make spinning more difficult. As well as Mega Sableye pretty much walling defensive Starmies and offensive ones get worn down so yeah. Although Bisharp is less of a problem so that's definitely a bit benefit.

Either way I would say Starmie is definitely really consistent at its job: it reliably scares out and spins against many SR setters like Heatran, Landorus-T, Hippowdon and other setters to an extent if Starmie is an offensive variant. The ability to not only spin away rocks but practically keep them off the field against certain setters creates a really unfavorable situation for the other team and makes it a great partner to mons like Volcarona and Talonflame. It does struggle a bit spinning against Ferrothorn (which is why Ferro / Hippo cores are so common) but this is why I love HP Fire variants although it's kind of hard to fit on the defensive set that wants Psyshock for Keldeo or Reflect Type for Pursuit trappers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)