Staraptor Analysis

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
won the 2nd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
[Overview]

<p>Staraptor is one of the most powerful pokemon in UU, sporting a 120 base Attack stat and a good 100 speed, with a great movepool and two great abilities in Intimidate and Reckless, it can hurt any pokemon in UU ridiculously hard, obtaining nearly perfect coverage with its STABs and Close Combat. However, with this great power comes the cost of frailness and a Stealth Rock weakness. While Staraptor needs support in order to reach its full potential, it is very deadly when it’s able to do so <p>

[SET]
Name: Heavy Offensive
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Double Edge/Return
move 4: U-Turn/Roost
item: Choice Band/Life Orb
ability: Reckless
nature: Jolly/Adamant
evs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>This is Staraptor’s most common set, and also its most dangerous and effective. With Reckless, most of Staraptor’s moves increase in their already impressive power. The Choice Band set functions as an amazing wall breaker, being able to 2HKO any pokemon in UU with one of its moves, even when running a Jolly nature. The Life Orb set also functions as an amazing wallbreaker, as well as being able to swictch moves and being able to run Roost. Brave Bird is the obvious STAB, hitting hard normally and boosted to almost godly levels when accompanied by STAB and Reckless. Staraptor is blessed with Close Combat, which rounds out its coverage nicely with Brave Bird, hitting common Steel types like Empoleon and Registeel hard. The secondary STAB choice is one of sheer-raw power or increased survivability for the already frail Staraptor. U-Turn serves as a scouting role, allowing Staraptor to search for threats that can take its attacks, as well as hitting the large amount of psychics in UU super-effectively, while Roost provides much needed health for the Life Orb set. <p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Switching in on a Staraptor is difficult for an opponent, but it’s equally as difficult to switch Staraptor in. With his extreme frailness accompanied by a weakness to Stealth Rocks and most of its attacks causing damage to itself, survivability is the one thing that Staraptor doesn’t have going for it. Due to this, it’s important to run a Rapid Spinner if running Staraptor. This frailness is increased even more by the Life Orb set, which is only marginalised thanks to Roost.<p>

[SET]
name: Scarf
move 3: Double Edge/ Return
move 4: U-Turn
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 spe

[Set Comments]

<p>While similar to the Heavy Offensive set, this set functions completely differently. Instead of relying on sheer power, this Staraptor is designed to scout out the opponent, as well as revenge killing most of everything in UU. While not having the same strength as the Heavy Offensive set, it's role as a hard hitting scout is unparalleled, weakening the opponent's defensive pokemon for a late game sweeper to help sweep. Brave Bird, Close Combat, and The Normal STAB move are there for hitting the opponent hard. U-Turn however is the crux of this set, just as many other scouting sets, due to its immense versatility and use.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>While Staraptor is an amazing scout, it suffers in its role due to a number of reasons. Its Stealth Rock weakness means that it can't switch in for an unlimited number of times, while its overall fragilty means that it can't switch into attacks easily. Besides this however, Staraptor can function as a great fast, hard hitting scout.</p>

[SET]
name: SubRoost
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Roost
move 3: Brave Bird
move 4: Close Combat
item: Life Orb
ability: Reckless/Intimidate
evs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 spe

[Set Comments]

<p>SubRoost is different from the other Staraptor sets, as it aims to stay in for a much longer period of time, which the other two sets don't aim to do at all. With Staraptor's immense power, it can easily force the opponent to switch to a resistence, fearing its might. This allows Staraptor to easily set up a Substitute, making sure that it can stay alive for a while. Brave Bird and Close Combat are still hitting moves that give Staraptor excellent coverage. Life Orb allows the attacks to still do a lot of damage, while Substitute allows Staraptor a free opportunity to heal, or to be able to kill a pokemon that might otherwise cause it trouble.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>While the need for a Rapid Spinner isn't quite as high due to Staraptor having a reliable form of recovery, it is still reccomended in order to keep Staraptor alive for as long as possible. This set is very effective the first time the opponent sees it, as most Staraptors are choiced in some respect. The sudden change in momentum can allow Staraptor to be even more dangerous then ever, and is definetly a very dangerous set when used in the right hands.</p>

[Other Options]

<p> Pursuit can be run in order to trap frail Psychic-types who switch out afraid of Staraptor’s powerful moves. Quick Attack can also be ran for extremely hard hitting priority, allowing Staraptor to be able to strike the opponent first without resorting to a Choice Scarf.<p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Rhyperior is as solid of a Staraptor counter as possible. Resisting both of his reckless boosted STAB moves, it can also deal with Close Combat not badly due to its Solid Rock ability. Slowbro also makes a fairly solid counter, as it can take Staraptor’s Close Combats nicely. However, it must be wary of Brave Bird, as it can 2HKO it.<p>

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ya im sorry to say, this will most probably be banned next round... hopefully. also for the analysis sub roost and lo sets are both usable as well as choice raptor

I think that both choice sets should be separated like kyogre last gen. Sub roost is generally inferior since it loses the damage boost from reckless

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LO maybe, SubRoost, no. And yeah I agree with splitting the Choice Sets. CB is incredibly powerful, and there isn't anything that isn't 2hko'ed by the right attack, (Slowbro maybe?) where as the Scarf set doesn't hit as hard but is great for revenging.

SubRoost is outclassed by Zapdos and Gligar, and why yould you do SubRoost when you can hit incredibly powerful?

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
SubRoost doesn't automatically mean defensive. It eases prediction, protects you from priority, and gives you a way to heal all that ridiculous recoil you're taking. One or two good predictions by your opponent can stop CB/CS from doing much of anything, but it's a lot harder to play around a SubRoost. I haven't used Staraptor but anytime I go up against it I'm hoping it's Choiced because I know it will be dead in a couple of turns. The general consensus in the UU Suspect thread also seemed to be that SubRoost was the best set.

Agreeing here that SubRoost is one of, if not the best of, Staraptor's possible sets. Then choice, then LO. IMO i'd put Choice Band and LO together and separate Choice Scarf.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
choice band has literally no counters. nothing is not 2hkoed by band raptor. its best check is rypherior

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SubRoost + LO is by far Staraptor's most threatening set. It was also the set that got it banned in Gen 4 UU, I am stunned it's not here. Choice sets can be easily predicted around, forced to switch out or revenge killed since it eats so much of its own hp. SubRoostLO has none of those problems and is still one of the most powerful physical attackers in the tier if you can manage to switch it in. Something like:

Substitute
Roost
Brave Bird
Close Combat
@ Life Orb
252 Atk 252 Speed, Jolly/Adamant

would work great for this analysis.

Also list Registeel, Pursuit Escavalier, Donphan, Rotoms, choice scarf users, Thunder Wave, Stealth Rock, strong priority users, and things like that in the counters/checks section. Staraptor is good but there are a bit more than 2 pokemon in the tier that can beat it.

choice band has literally no counters. nothing is not 2hkoed by band raptor. its best check is rypherior
This is an analysis, not a discussion thread.

Agility? The only time Staraptor would have to set up is if the opponent switches, but they're only switching into their counter which would clearly survive a Staraptor attack; you're better off attacking or using Substitute. Using Agility actually hinders Staraptor because you lose a turn of attacking and a valuable moveslot. Use a Scarf if you want a fast sweeper.....

The sets should be:

Scarf->Band/LO->SubRoost imo.

I think roost means no reckless. Correct me if im wrong. And about reckless cb brave bird being powerful, a resisted bb can even 2hko 220/0 neutral aka physical defensive zapdos

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
VGCPL Champion
I think roost means no reckless. Correct me if im wrong. And about reckless cb brave bird being powerful, a resisted bb can even 2hko 220/0 neutral aka physical defensive zapdos
Yes, and choice banded Slaking giga impact isn't powerful becuase it can't kill Spritomb, right...

That's some fucking horrible logic right there, you know that? In case you haven't heard, Staraptor can use Double Edge, an extremely viable move on it.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yes, and choice banded Slaking giga impact isn't powerful becuase it can't kill Spritomb, right...

That's some fucking horrible logic right there, you know that? In case you haven't heard, Staraptor can use Double Edge, an extremely viable move on it.
He said it CAN 2HKO. He was giving an example of Staraptor's power for you, maybe to help you beef up your comments. Try reading people's posts before you attack them for trying to help.

And you can predict a Brave Bird as a attack to like say... Heracross and switch to Zapdos, no? I'm just trying to say the the sheer power of the set eases prediction, just like how Escavalier spams Megahorn regardless. And on my own post, the EV was eith specially defensive, not physically, write wrongly, either way, it has a good chance to 2hko pdef variants after sr.

Why is Slowbro listed as a check when it's 2HKO'ed by two of the three most common moves (Double Edge and Brave Bird)? Shouldn't you instead be listing Rock and Steel types (except for stuff like Cradily and Colbalion) since they resist 2 out of 3?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In checks and counters, you probably want to mention that choice raptors are the most common, and combinations of checks are best used to eliminate it.

For instance, it doesn't matter if Raptor can 2hko bro if bro switches out after the first brave bird to missy/regi, and heals off with regenerator. It doesn't matter how much CC does to rhyperior if rhy just switches to wobb and checkmates raptor.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Bro probably shouldn't switch out to missy after a Brave Bird :)

But yeah, that's the reason why the SubLO set is so dangerous, which should probably be mentioned in that set's comments.

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
VGCPL Champion
Groan, sorry scarletnova, I didn't read your post right, my bad. From the language of the first part, it sounded like you were trying to contradict Staraptor being powerful, so when I saw the can, I assumed it was a can't, my bad. I'll fix up the rest of peoples suggestions tomorrow.

Err, zapdos still can be listed as a counter to any non cb sets
I don't think so since Double-Edge can 2HKO most variants. Listed as a check though, yes.

Edit:

And please space out your slashes like so:

[SET]
Name: Heavy Offensive
move 3: Double Edge / Return
move 4: U-Turn / Roost
item: Choice Band / Life Orb
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)