[STABmons] Porygon2

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head

[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 has two good abilities in Download and Trace, which allow it to perform two decent roles in the STABmons metagame; the former allows it to get free boosts in either attacking stat to KO foes more easily, and the latter lets it take advantage of foes' abilities. Access to Extreme Speed and Boomburst lets it function as either a strong physical, special, or mixed attacker; additionally, while it is outclassed by Ursaring and Mega Lopunny as a setup sweeper, it has something they don't: Eviolite, which lets it survive a plethora of hits that both Ursaring and Mega Lopunny can't. Sadly, though, as a result, Porygon2 has a big vulnerability to Knock Off, and the lack of additional passive recovery from Leftovers makes it more difficult for it to function as both a bulky attacker and a defensive Pokemon. Its pure Normal typing also leaves it weak to a common type in Fighting, represented by prominent threats such as Mega Lopunny and Terrakion, and is a bad type for it offensively with two types resistant to it and one immune. Alongside all of this, Porygon2 also sometimes struggles with four-moveslot syndrome because it has to fit recovery and status into its moveset; however, it is overall a good, bulky attacker in the STABmons metagame.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Recover
move 2: Boomburst / Ice Beam
move 3: Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt / Rapid Spin
move 4: Glare
item: Eviolite
ability: Trace
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Recover allows Porygon2 to replenish its health to stay on the field for longer periods of time and to stay alive longer. Boomburst lets Porygon2 hit almost every Pokemon with a strong STAB attack with solid neutral coverage. Thunderbolt can be used instead of Boomburst in combination with Ice Beam to form the BoltBeam combination, which has near-perfect neutral coverage; however, it doesn't hit as hard as Boomburst. Shadow Ball is used to hit Psychic- and Ghost-types super effectively and can hit the Ghost-types that Boomburst can't, but in general, it can't provide the amazing coverage that BoltBeam does. Rapid Spin is an alternative in the third moveslot as well to let Porygon2 perform as an entry hazard clearer. Glare lets Porygon2 cripple fast foes, even Ground-types, so that its teammates can easily outspeed and KO them and in general helps alleviate pressure on the team. Toxic can be used instead of Glare to cut down the foe's HP to make KOing all foes easier and is used for taking down bulkier Pokemon.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defense EVs, a Bold nature, and Eviolite let Porygon2 be as bulky as possible to survive more hits from threatening physical attackers such as Landorus-T. Trace lets Porygon2 take advantage of the foe's ability, and it is used over Download to allow Porygon2 to act as a switch-in to more Pokemon. For example, you can switch Porygon2 in against Intimidate users like Landorus-T to lower their Attack in return; Prankster users like Thundurus and Sableye to have priority Recover and Glare or Toxic; Rough Skin and Iron Barbs users like Garchomp and Ferrothorn to deal residual damage to physical attackers and more specifically Fake Out + Extreme Speed users; Regenerator users like Slowbro and Tornadus-T to get free health back when Porygon2 switches out; Flash Fire users, specifically Heatran, to gain another immunity; and Multiscale users like Dragonite early-game to have more bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Like it was mentioned above, switch Porygon2 in on Pokemon of various abilities to take advantage of said abilities. Avoid Knock Off users such as Weavile to retain Porygon2's added bulk from Eviolite for as long as possible. Try to avoid getting badly poisoned and burned to prevent having to use Recover more times than necessary. Avoid Fighting-types such as Mega Lopunny and Terrakion, as they have strong STAB moves that easily 2HKO Porygon2, and Mega Lopunny has Fake Out + Extreme Speed to weaken Porygon2 more quickly. Try to use Boomburst to take advantage of Porygon2's nice base 105 Special Attack, and try to use the move to wear down Pokemon that lack recovery. Recover should be spammed quite frequently to ensure that Porygon2 can stay on the field for as long as possible.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard setters like Klefki, Garchomp, and Ferrothorn make it easier for Porygon2 to KO threatening foes. Entry hazard clearers such as Starmie, Landorus-T, Latias, and Excadrill allow Porygon2 to switch in more easily so that it can survive more hits. Pokemon that resist Fighting-type moves like Clefable, Mega Slowbro, and Landorus-T are good teammates because they easily take care of Terrakion and Mega Lopunny and help it live longer. Fairy-types in general pair well with Porygon2 because they resist and can switch in on Fighting-types and can take care of Dark-types, especially those with Knock Off. Clerics are good teammates because of their ability to help Porygon2 live longer. Pokemon that take care of Steel-types, such as Fighting- and Ground-types such as Terrakion and Excadrill, are good partners to reduce the number of times Porygon2 has to switch out; Magnezone is also a good teammate because Magnet Pull lets it trap Scizor and Ferrothorn and easily KO them with Hidden Power Fire. Volt Switch, U-turn, and Parting Shot users such as Magnezone, Scizor, and Weavile are helpful for getting Porygon2 in safely. Wallbreakers such as Terrakion are useful for taking care of the bulkier Pokemon that Porygon2 struggles with.

[SET]
name: DownPass
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Boomburst
move 3: Glare / Swords Dance
move 4: Recover
ability: Download

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Baton Pass lets Porygon2 pass the boost it gets from Download to a teammate and lets it gain momentum. Boomburst allows Porygon2 to hit almost every Pokemon really hard and removes threatening foes for teammates. Glare can be used to let Porygon2 cripple fast foes, including Ground-types, so that it and its teammates can easily outspeed and KO them. Swords Dance can be used over Glare to let Porygon2 pass large Attack boosts to its teammates. Recover lets Porygon2 stay healthy for longer periods of time and makes it more annoying for the foes to KO it. Toxic can be used as an alternative in the third moveslot to cut down the foe's HP more quickly, leading to more easy KOs. Substitute can also be used in the third moveslot to let Porygon2 pass a form of defense onto its teammates and allows the Pokemon coming in to avoid taking damage.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defense EVs, when used in tandem with a Bold nature and Eviolite, let Porygon2 be as bulky as possible while still retaining some special bulk. Download lets Porygon2 gain boosts in either Attack or Special Attack to pass to a teammate, and it can use the Special Attack boosts to its advantage if need be. Minimum Speed can also be used to let Porygon2 be really slow for safer Baton Passing.

Usage Tips
========

Try avoiding Knock Off users such as Weavile so that Porygon2 can keep the additional bulk from Eviolite for as long as it can. Try to avoid status also so that Porygon2 doesn't need to spam Recover and waste its PP. Stay out of the way of Fighting-types such as Mega Lopunny and Terrakion, as they can both easily KO Porygon2 with their STAB moves. Avoid stat-lowering effects such as Parting Shot, Intimidate, and Sticky Web to prevent making teammates weaker and slower. Baton Pass the stat boosts obtained from Download onto Porygon2's teammates. More specifically, pass Attack boosts to physical attackers and Special Attack boosts to special attackers. Porygon2 can also be used as a defensive pivot with Baton Pass against frail Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Porygon2 appreciates having entry hazard setters such as Klefki, Ferrothorn, and Garchomp as teammates because they make it easier for Porygon2 to KO threatening foes. Entry hazard clearers like Starmie, Landorus-T, Latias, and Excadrill are good teammates because they allow Porygon2 to switch in more easily and let it survive more hits. Clefable, Mega Slowbro, and Landorus-T are good teammates because they can switch in on Fighting-types that threaten Porygon2, helping it live longer. Physical attackers such as Terrakion and Scizor appreciate the Attack boosts from Download, whereas special attackers such as Thundurus and Mega Diancie appreciate the Special Attack boosts. In general, Fairy-types are decent choices for teammates because they resist Fighting-type moves and can switch in on Dark-types that carry Knock Off. Frail yet strong attackers like Weavile appreciate Porygon2's ability to switch it in safety with Attack boosts. Volt Switch, U-turn, and Parting Shot users such as Magnezone, Scizor, and Weavile are helpful for getting Porygon2 safely, and Porygon2 works well with them in return thanks to Baton Pass. Rotom-H in general is a very good Pokemon, especially if Porygon2 is running Rapid Spin, as Porygon2 takes care of Stealth Rock for Rotom-H, and in return, Rotom-H checks Thundurus and is used as a pivot to Porygon2.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A bulky Swords Dance set with Hidden Power Fire, Swords Dance, Extreme Speed, and Recover along with a Brave nature, Download, and an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA can be used to let Porygon2 act as a bulky setup sweeper and revenge killer; however, while its higher bulk gives it an advantage, this set is outclassed by Ursaring and Mega Lopunny as Extreme Speed users because it takes longer to set up. An EV spread of 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD with 0 Speed IVs and Analytic can be used to let Porygon2 hit extremely hard and almost always get a boost from Analytic; make sure to run Boomburst if you do use this. Heal Bell is good to let Porygon2 cure itself and its teammates of any status ailments, but its limited moveset prevents it from being fit in. Whirlwind can also be used to phaze setup sweepers, but yet again, Porygon2's four-moveslot syndrome prevents it from fitting into the moveset.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Knock Off Users**: Knock Off users such as Weavile, Mega Scizor, and Bisharp remove Porygon2's Eviolite, leaving it noticeably less bulky and easily KOed.

**Specially Bulky Pokemon**: Status inducers, specifically Will-O-Wisp and Toxic users such as Sableye and Heatran, make Porygon2 need to repeatedly spam Recover to stay healthy, which wastes its PP and makes it eventually run out. Special walls in general such as Chansey and Ferrothorn take little damage from Porygon2's attacks, and Ferrothorn and Heatran also resist the Boomburst + Thunderbolt combination it uses.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Terrakion and Mega Lopunny can easily KO Porygon2 with their respective Fighting-type STAB moves.

**Taunt Users**: Taunt users such as Sableye and Gengar prevent Porygon2 from being able to inflict status on threatening foes and regaining health.

**Calm Mind Setup Sweepers**: Calm Mind setup sweepers such as Clefable and Mega Sableye can easily set up on and KO Porygon2 due to their abilities and typings; more specifically, Clefable can ignore any status thrown at it by Porygon2 due to Magic Guard and easily restore health with Soft-Boiled, and Mega Sableye is immune to Boomburst, deflects all status moves thrown at it with Magic Bounce, and can recover its health with Recover.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Excadrill and Mega Scizor can take hits from Porygon2 easily and set up and KO it in return.

Last edited:

Scyther NO Swiping

Washed up former great
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay looks good, but a little sparse in some sections. Just try to expand a bit on the sections that are really light. Also if anything looks off or doesn't make sense, let me know, I'm tired, and my computer is being dumb.

[OVERVIEW]

- add something about bad offensive typing
- also add it sometimes struggles with 4mss

[SET] 1

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

- I might slash toxic first in this set. See what other QC members think though

Set Details
========

- I'd like to see you expand on this a little bit, why trace over download, some common opponents trace helps you beat. You kinda touch on this in the next section but i'd like a little more here.
- Also expand on the nature, why run calm with max def evs

Usage Tips
========

- I'd like to see a mention on how boomburst still hits things relatively hard, ie don't sleep on the base 105 spa.

Team Options
========

- talk about fairy types more, they help resist fighting types, as well as Dark-types with knock off.
- Mention something to help handle Steel-types, either Fighting or Ground types, or possibly Magnezone to help with scizor/ferro
- Possibly add some wall breakers, as this set can't really touch other bulky things, especially if you don't run toxic.

[SET] 2

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

- I wouldn't say boomburst lets P2 hit everything hard, ie Steel-types.
-I'd mention Toxic here as well, not nececarilly slash it, but I think its still relevent.

Set Details
========

- this section seems a little light. Maybe expand a bit on why download is the ability you want to use (ik its kinda obvious seeing the name, but still)
- Talk about why calm nature, as it seems counterprouductive to running 252 def evs.

Team Options
========

- again mention Fairy-types
- for the last bullet, also mention how baton pass makes P2 be able to be helpful in a volt-turn core.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Checks and Counters
===================

- I'd take out the fake/speed part. nothing is coming close to OHKOing P2 with fake speed. Also lopunny/stoutland/ursaring would Fake Out then go to fighting coverage anyway.

QC 1/3

Last edited:

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Okay looks good, but a little sparse in some sections. Just try to expand a bit on the sections that are really light. Also if anything looks off or doesn't make sense, let me know, I'm tired, and my computer is being dumb.

[OVERVIEW]

- add something about bad offensive typing
- also add it sometimes struggles with 4mss

[SET] 1

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

- I might slash toxic first in this set. See what other QC members think though

Set Details
========

- I'd like to see you expand on this a little bit, why trace over download, some common opponents trace helps you beat. You kinda touch on this in the next section but i'd like a little more here.
- Also expand on the nature, why run calm with max def evs

Usage Tips
========

- I'd like to see a mention on how boomburst still hits things relatively hard, ie don't sleep on the base 105 spa.

Team Options
========

- talk about fairy types more, they help resist fighting types, as well as Dark-types with knock off.
- Mention something to help handle Steel-types, either Fighting or Ground types, or possibly Magnezone to help with scizor/ferro
- Possibly add some wall breakers, as this set can't really touch other bulky things, especially if you don't run toxic.

[SET] 2

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

- I wouldn't say boomburst lets P2 hit everything hard, ie Steel-types.
-I'd mention Toxic here as well, not nececarilly slash it, but I think its still relevent.

Set Details
========

- this section seems a little light. Maybe expand a bit on why download is the ability you want to use (ik its kinda obvious seeing the name, but still)
- Talk about why calm nature, as it seems counterprouductive to running 252 def evs.

Team Options
========

- again mention Fairy-types
- for the last bullet, also mention how baton pass makes P2 be able to be helpful in a volt-turn core.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Checks and Counters
===================

- I'd take out the fake/speed part. nothing is coming close to OHKOing P2 with fake speed. Also lopunny/stoutland/ursaring would Fake Out then go to fighting coverage anyway.

QC 1/3
finally did

why do you use 252hp/252def with a calm nature? like what does it live? why not just run 252/252+?

dhelmise

banend doosre
Social Media Head
why do you use 252hp/252def with a calm nature? like what does it live? why not just run 252/252+?
it is because i thought that calm was +def but im thinking of bold, lol my bad and fixing

e: fixed and added more in-depth reasoning as to why bold

canno

formerly The Reptile
Overview
  • organize it so that it goes positive to negative - makes it flow much better
Defensive

• milk drink > recover imho
  • Specify which Pokemon you can switch in better on - stuff like Heatran and Dragonite are good starting points, while Slowbro and Lando are good too. Mention that Eviolite is a must here as well. I know you go into detail in the usage tips, but it fits better here since you're explain why Trace is better than its other options.
  • I don't understand why Mega Lopunny is the example given, seeing that it 2HKOs you with HJK regardless of your spread. Maybe replace that mention with something like Lando-T or Excadrill?
  • I feel like this would fill up your Set Detail section, but if it doesn't you should probably find a way to fill it up. This also goes for DownPass
  • Mention that you should avoid Fighting-types and that you should be wearing stuff down that don't have recovery with mighty Boombursts
  • I also would remove the mention of avoiding powerful physical attackers, since it goes against what you said about the set (walling physical sweepers). The examples given would be covered by the new description (M-Lop and Terrak are Fighting-types to avoid, while Weavile is already covered by the fact that you mentioned avoidingin Koff)
  • A lot of this also applies for DownPass, so I won't repeat myself on that front - just apply this (and the specific mentions on DownPass) onto the set details of DownPass
DownPass
  • Slash and mention Swords Dance as an option over Glare, as this allows you to pass +2 SDs to your team. Mention that this should be done on more physically oriented teams.
  • Also mention Substitute, since you can pass Subs to teammates as well
  • On the usage tips, replace that phrase of Intimidate with "avoid stat-lowering effects, such as Parting Shot or Intimidate"
  • Also, mention that, due to its high bulk and relative speed, you can use it as a pivot with Baton Pass to pivot into frail things
  • In fact, mention frail, but powerful attackers like Weavile in TO, as they appreciate not only having a pivot to bring them in safely, but they can also abuse the Download boost.
OO
  • Needs more Max SpA Analytic mention, as with Boomburst and Analytic you can smack things hard with base 105.
  • You should probably go over why they are weaker options compared to the main sets
  • Also mention Whirlwind alongside Heal Bell, as it helps against certain set-up sweepers (M-Scizor and Clef)
CnC
  • Mention CM Sweepers like Clef and M-Sable, as they can boost up on Pory2 under the right situations due to their ability and typing
  • Mention Steel-type sweepers like M-Scizor and Excadrill who can take hits relatively well.
once implemented you get QC check 2

dhelmise

banend doosre
Social Media Head
Overview
  • organize it so that it goes positive to negative - makes it flow much better
Defensive

• milk drink > recover imho
  • Specify which Pokemon you can switch in better on - stuff like Heatran and Dragonite are good starting points, while Slowbro and Lando are good too. Mention that Eviolite is a must here as well. I know you go into detail in the usage tips, but it fits better here since you're explain why Trace is better than its other options.
  • I don't understand why Mega Lopunny is the example given, seeing that it 2HKOs you with HJK regardless of your spread. Maybe replace that mention with something like Lando-T or Excadrill?
  • I feel like this would fill up your Set Detail section, but if it doesn't you should probably find a way to fill it up. This also goes for DownPass
  • Mention that you should avoid Fighting-types and that you should be wearing stuff down that don't have recovery with mighty Boombursts
  • I also would remove the mention of avoiding powerful physical attackers, since it goes against what you said about the set (walling physical sweepers). The examples given would be covered by the new description (M-Lop and Terrak are Fighting-types to avoid, while Weavile is already covered by the fact that you mentioned avoidingin Koff)
  • A lot of this also applies for DownPass, so I won't repeat myself on that front - just apply this (and the specific mentions on DownPass) onto the set details of DownPass
DownPass
  • Slash and mention Swords Dance as an option over Glare, as this allows you to pass +2 SDs to your team. Mention that this should be done on more physically oriented teams.
  • Also mention Substitute, since you can pass Subs to teammates as well
  • On the usage tips, replace that phrase of Intimidate with "avoid stat-lowering effects, such as Parting Shot or Intimidate"
  • Also, mention that, due to its high bulk and relative speed, you can use it as a pivot with Baton Pass to pivot into frail things
  • In fact, mention frail, but powerful attackers like Weavile in TO, as they appreciate not only having a pivot to bring them in safely, but they can also abuse the Download boost.
OO
  • Needs more Max SpA Analytic mention, as with Boomburst and Analytic you can smack things hard with base 105.
  • You should probably go over why they are weaker options compared to the main sets
  • Also mention Whirlwind alongside Heal Bell, as it helps against certain set-up sweepers (M-Scizor and Clef)
CnC
  • Mention CM Sweepers like Clef and M-Sable, as they can boost up on Pory2 under the right situations due to their ability and typing
  • Mention Steel-type sweepers like M-Scizor and Excadrill who can take hits relatively well.
once implemented you get QC check 2
did, writing

baconbagon

free stabmons
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • This Overview is kind of confusing, it keeps jumping between random sets and moves and its typing and everything and it's really long
  • The most important thing with Porygon2 is its bulk and that should be more central to the Overview
  • Don't mention individual stats
  • The last sentence is four lines long and I can't really make head or tail of it right now. Just some simple positives and negatives is fine, there's no need for individual roles which are individually outclassed by x Pokemon and suffer from x issue etc etc.
Set 1

Moves
  • Boomburst + Thunderbolt seems kind of weird as Boomburst hits Pokemon 2x weak to Thunderbolt harder. I think just sticking with BoltBeam or Boomburst + Shadow Ball is fine.
  • P2 is a defensive Pokemon so Boomburst isn't used to remove foes, it's just a strong STAB attack with solid neutral coverage.
  • Shadow Ball hits the Ghost-types immune to Boomburst hard (hits regular Sableye decently hard I guess) which is its most important trait so that should be mentioned
  • Mention that Glare allows Porygon2 to slow down fast offensive Pokemon which can alleviate pressure on its teammates and / or itself while Toxic is largely aimed at taking down bulkier walls
Set Details
  • I don't think individual descriptions of each ability is really needed? It makes for a long uncohesive section but I guess you can keep it if you want. Just add Heatran's Flash Fire and
  • Eviolite doesn't just boost physical bulk
Usage Tips
  • Add something about how important Recover is and how P2 should generally use it very often
Team Options
  • Fairy-types rarely switch in on Fighting-types with ease. Something about clerics here since a lot of Pokemon can run Heal Bell or Aromatherapy would be nice.
Set 2

Moves
  • Swords Dance can be used on most archetypes because a slow pivot into a fast physical attacker is always appreciated.
  • Recover is just used to stay healthy, it doesn't really "annoy" foes. idk how I would say this though
  • Mention how Baton Passing a Sub will allow the Pokemon coming in to avoid damage
Set Details
  • You still have Calm here
  • P2 can also minimize Speed if it wants to be really slow for safer Baton Passing
rest looks fine

Other Options
  • Bulky SD P2 is not outclassed as a Fake Out + Extreme Speed user because it doesn't run Fake Out + Extreme Speed. It's not even outclassed as a sweeper, it just often takes longer to set up and cannot break through some threats like Lop and Ursa can. It's just a slower and bulkier approach to sweeping
  • I don't like Work Up here because it slows it down even more
  • I don't think Protect is worth the moveslot either, it really only applies to Lop as Terrakion runs CC most of the time
  • Heal Bell and Whirlwind are usable and can be fit into a moveslot. P2 just struggles to fit it, it's not like it can never run them.
Checks and Counters
  • Porygon2 is not frail after Eviolite is removed, it's just a noticeable drop in bulk. Mention other Knock users too, Mega Scizor and Bisharp come to mind
  • Status Inducers could be squeezed into Special Walls at this rate. Just specially bulky Pokemon and what they do basically
  • Gengar is a Taunt user
QC 3/3

Last edited:

Overview:
▶ Remove the line about Swords Dance. It just isn't viable in the current metagame. Eviolite is a fine niche, but Swords Dance Porygon2 is just too specific mediocre to be considered viable in my opinion.
▶ I don't think the comparison to Chansey is all too fair. They are bulky Normal-types, yes, but Porygon2 generally is considered more viable since Boomburst is a great tool and it's bulkier in all areas versus just one.
▶ The Overview is very good and descriptive, but I feel like it's underselling Porygon2 a lot. Porygon2 is a great Pokemon and a reader would honestly just think it's a subpar Pokemon. Please make it much more positive, but not fluffier.
Defensive:
▶ Change the set to Recover / [Boomburst / Ice Beam] / [Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt / Rapid Spin] / Glare. I feel Rapid Spin definitely deserves a set mention. Toxic stays in Moves.
▶ Nitpick: in Set Details, you say Porygon, when it should be Porygon2. Also it seems to me like the second sentence just keeps going on, but I'm not GP so do what you will!
▶ Add Rotom-Heat as a partner, especially if Porygon2 is using Rapid Spin. Checks Thundurus, which Porygon2 is unable to take on 1-v-1. Also, pivoting is nice.
DownPass:
▶ Very good! I'm not a fan of the set personally, but I do see the appeal, and I believe you've written this section in a way that readers will see it has flaws but that it is a viable set. Perfect.
Other than that, this analysis is very solid. Remove mentions of Porygon-Z & Kyurem-B though!

QC 3/3

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 has two good abilities in Download and Trace, which allow it to perform two decent roles in the STABmons metagame; the former allows it to get free boosts in either attacking stat to KO foes more easily, and the latter lets it take advantage of foes' abilities. Access to Extreme Speed and Boomburst let lets it function as either a strong physical, special, or mixed attacker; however additionally, while it is outclassed by Ursaring and Mega Lopunny as a setup sweeper, but it has something they don't: Eviolite, (comma) which Its Eviolite-boosted bulk lets it live survive a plethora of hits that both Ursaring and Mega Lopunny can't. Sadly, though, as a result, (AC) (optional) Porygon2 has a big vulnerability to Knock Off, and the lack of additional passive recovery in Leftovers makes it more difficult for it to function as both a bulky attacker and a defensive Pokemon. Its pure Normal typing also leaves it weak to a common type in Fighting, represented by prominent threats (or any other rewording that does not imply that the Pokemon are the type) such as Mega Lopunny and Terrakion, and is a bad type for it offensively with two resistances and one immunity. Along all of this, Porygon2 also sometimes struggles with four-moveslot (AH) syndrome because it has to fit recovery and status into its moveset; (SC) but however, it is overall a good, bulky attacker in the STABmons metagame.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Recover lets allows Porygon2 to replenish its health to stay on the field for longer periods of time and to stay alive longer. Boomburst lets Porygon2 hit almost every Pokemon with a strong STAB attack with solid neutral coverage. Thunderbolt can be used instead of Boomburst in combination with Ice Beam to form the BoltBeam combination, (comma) BoltBeam which has perfect neutral coverage; (eh, not entirely, off the top of my head it misses magnezone, thick fat mamo, volt absorb lanturn, rotom-h, and rotom-f, of which at least magnezone is relevant i think? just make it near-perfect imo) however, it doesn't hit as hard as Boomburst, but it provides useful coverage. Shadow Ball is used to hit Psychic- and Ghost-types super effectively and can hit the Ghost-types that Boomburst can't, but in general, it can't provide the amazing coverage that BoltBeam does. Rapid Spin is an alternative in the third moveslot as well to let Porygon2 perform as an entry hazard clearer. Glare lets Porygon2 cripple fast foes, even Ground-types, so that its teammates can easily outspeed and KO them and in general helps alleviate pressure on the team. Toxic can be used instead of Glare to cut down the foe's HP to make KOing all foes easier and is used for taking down bulkier Pokemon.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defense EVs, a Bold nature, and Eviolite let Porygon2 be as bulky as possible to live survive more hits from threatening physical attackers such as Landorus-T. Trace lets Porygon2 take advantage of the foe's (apo) ability, and it is used over Download to allow Porygon2 to act as a switch-in to more Pokemon. For example, you can switch Porygon2 in against Intimidate users like Landorus-T to intimidate them lower their Attack in return; (SC) Prankster users like Thundurus and Sableye to have priority Recover and Glare or Toxic; (SC) Rough Skin and Iron Barbs users like Garchomp and Ferrothorn to deal residual damage to physical attackers and more specifically Fake Out + Extreme Speed users; (SC) Regenerator users like Slowbro and Tornadus-T to get free health back when Porygon2 switches out; (SC) Flash Fire users, specifically Heatran, (AC) to gain another immunity; (SC) and Multiscale users like Dragonite early-game to have more bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Like it was mentioned above, switch Porygon2 in on Pokemon of various abilities to take advantage of said abilities. Avoid Knock Off users such as Weavile to retain Porygon2's added bulk from Eviolite for as long as possible. Try to avoid getting badly poisoned and burned to prevent using having to use Recover more times than necessary. Avoid Fighting-types such as Mega Lopunny and Terrakion, as they both have strong STAB Fighting-type moves that easily 2HKO Porygon2, and Mega Lopunny has Fake Out + Extreme Speed to weakin weaken Porygon2 more quickly. Try to use Boomburst to take advantage of Porygon2's nice base 105 Special Attack, and try to use the move to wear down Pokemon that lack recovery. Recover should be spammed quite frequently to assure that Porygon2 can stay on the field for as long as possible.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard setters like Klefki, Garchomp, and Ferrothorn make it easier for Porygon2 to KO threatening goes foes. Entry hazard clearers such as Starmie, Landorus-T, Latias, and Excadrill make it easier for allow Porygon2 to switch in more easily so that it can live survive more hits. Pokemon that resist Fighting-type moves like Clefable, Mega Slowbro, and Landorus-T are good teammates because they easily take care of Terrakion and Mega Lopunny and help it live longer. Fairy-types in general are good teammates pair well with Porygon2 because they resist and can switch in on Fighting-types and can take care of Dark-types, especially those with Knock Off. Clerics in general are good teammates because of their ability to help Porygon2 live longer. Pokemon that take care of Steel-types, such as Fighting- and Ground-types such as Terrakion and Excadrill, (AC) are good teammates partners (lotta repetitive sentence structure) to reduce the amount number of times Porygon2 has to switch out; Magnezone is also a good teammate because Magnet Pull lets it trap Scizor and Ferrothorn and easily KO them with Hidden Power Fire. Volt Switch, U-turn, and (slashes to commas) Parting Shot users such as Magnezone, Scizor, and Weavile are helpful for getting Porygon2 in safely. Wallbreakers such as Terrakion are useful for taking care of the bulkier Pokemon that Porygon2 struggles with.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Baton Pass lets Porygon2 pass the boost it gets from Download to a teammate and lets it gain momentum. Boomburst allows Porygon2 hit almost every Pokemon really hard and removes threatening foes for teammates. Glare can be used to let Porygon2 cripple fast foes, including Ground-types, so that it and its teammates can easily outspeed and KO them. Swords Dance can be used over Glare to let Porygon2 pass large Attack boosts to its teammates. Recover lets Porygon2 stay healthy for longer periods of time and makes it more annoying for the foes to KO it. Toxic can be used as an alternative in the third moveslot to cut down the foe's HP more quickly, leading to more easy (or easier?) KOs. Substitute can also be used in the third moveslot to let Porygon2 pass a form of defense onto its teammates and allows the Pokemon coming in to avoid taking damage.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defense EVs, when used in tandem with a Bold nature and Eviolite, let Porygon2 be as bulky as possible while still retaining some special bulk. Download lets Porygon2 gain boosts in either Attack or Special Attack to pass to a teammate, and it can use the Special Attack boosts to its advantage if need be. Minimum Speed can also be used to let Porygon2 be really slow for safer Baton Passing.

Usage Tips
========

Try avoiding Knock Off users such as Weavile so that Porygon2 can keep the additional bulk from Eviolite for as long as it can. Try to avoid status also so that Porygon2 doesn't need to spam Recover and waste its PP. Stay out of the way of Fighting-types such as Mega Lopunny and Terrakion, as they can both easily KO Porygon2 with their Fighting-type STAB moves. Avoid stat-lowering effects such as Parting Shot, Intimidate, and Sticky Web to prevent making teammates weaker and slower. Baton Pass the stat boosts obtained from Download onto Porygon2's teammates. More specifically, pass Attack boosts to physical attackers (RC) and Special Attack boosts to special attackers. Porygon2 can also be used as a defensive pivot with Baton Pass against frail Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Porygon2 appreciates having entry hazard setters such as Klefki, Ferrothorn, and Garchomp as teammates because they make it easier for Porygon2 to KO threatening foes. Entry hazard clearers like Starmie, Landorus-T, Latias, and Excadrill are good teammates because they make it easier for allow Porygon2 to switch in more easily and let it live survive more hits. Clefable, Mega Slowbro, and Landorus-T are good teammates because they can switch in on Fighting-types that threaten Porygon2, helping it live longer. Physical attackers such as Terrakion and Scizor appreciate the Attack boosts from Download, whereas special attackers such as Thundurus and Mega Diancie appreciate the Special Attack boosts. In general, Fairy-types are decent choices for teammates because they resist Fighting-type moves and can switch in on Dark-types that carry Knock Off. Frail yet strong attackers like Weavile appreciate Porygon2's ability to switch it in safety with Attack boosts. Volt Switch, U-turn, and Parting(space)Shot users such as Magnezone, Scizor, and Weavile are helpful for getting Porygon2 safely, and Porygon2 works well with them in return thanks to Baton Pass. Rotom-H in general is a very good Pokemon, especially if Porygon2 is running Rapid Spin, as Porygon2 takes care of Stealth Rock for Rotom-H, and in return, Rotom-H checks Thundurus and is used as a pivot into Porygon2.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A bulky Swords Dance set with Hidden Power Fire, Swords Dance, Extreme Speed, and Recover, along with a Brave nature, Download, and an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA can be used to let Porygon2 act as a bulky set up sweeper and revenge killer; however, while its higher bulk gives it an advantage, (AC) this set is outclassed by Ursaring and Mega Lopunny as Extreme Speed users because it takes longer to set up, but it is bulkier than them, which gives it an advantage. An EV spread of 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD (RC) with 0 Speed IVs (RC) and Analytic can be used to let Porygon2 hit extremely hard and almost always get a boost from Analytic; make sure to run Boomburst if you do use this. Heal Bell is good to let Porygon2 cure itself and its teammates of any status ailments, but its limited moveset prevents it from being fit in. Whirlwind can also be used to phaze setup sweepers, but yet again, Porygon2's four-moveslot (AH) syndrome prevents it from fitting into the moveset.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Knock Off Users**: Knock Off users such as Weavile, Mega Scizor, and Bisharp remove Porygon2's Eviolite, leaving it noticeably less bulky and easily KOed.

**Specially Bulky Pokemon**: Status inducers, specifically Will-O-Wisp and Toxic users such as Sableye and Heatran, (AC) make Porygon2 need to repeatedly spam Recover to stay healthy, which wastes its PP and makes it eventually run out. Special walls in general such as Chansey and Ferrothorn take little damage from Porygon2's attacks, and they (Chansey doesn't) also resist the Boomburst + Thunderbolt combination it uses.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Terrakion and Mega Lopunny can easily KO Porygon2 with their respective Fighting-type STAB moves.

**Taunt Users**: Taunt users such as Sableye and Gengar prevent Porygon2 from being able to inflict status on threatening foes and regaining health.

**Calm Mind Setup Sweepers**: Calm Mind setup sweepers such as Clefable and Mega Sableye can easily set up on and KO Porygon2 due to their abilities and typings; more specifically, Clefable can ignore any status thrown at it by Porygon2 due to Magic Guard and easily restore health with Soft-Boiled, and Mega Sableye is immune to Boomburst, deflects all status moves thrown at it with Magic Bounce, and can recover its health with Recover.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types such as Excadrill and Mega Scizor can take hits from Porygon2 easily and set up and KO it in return.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2

[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 has two good abilities in Download and Trace, which allow it to perform two decent roles in the STABmons metagame; the former allows it to get free boosts in either attacking stat to KO foes more easily, and the latter lets it take advantage of foes' abilities. Access to Extreme Speed and Boomburst lets it function as either a strong physical, special, or mixed attacker; additionally, while it is outclassed by Ursaring and Mega Lopunny as a setup sweeper, it has something they don't: Eviolite, which lets it survive a plethora of hits that both Ursaring and Mega Lopunny can't. Sadly, though, as a result, Porygon2 has a big vulnerability to Knock Off, and the lack of additional passive recovery in (I feel like "from" is better here but your preference) Leftovers makes it more difficult for it to function as both a bulky attacker and a defensive Pokemon. Its pure Normal typing also leaves it weak to a common type in Fighting, represented by prominent threats such as Mega Lopunny and Terrakion, and is a bad type for it offensively with two types resistant to it resistances and one immune immunity. (resistances and immunity mean that the Normal typing resists/is immune to x, not x are resistant/immune to Normal) Alongside all of this, Porygon2 also sometimes struggles with four-moveslot syndrome because it has to fit recovery and status into its moveset; however, it is overall a good, bulky attacker in the STABmons metagame.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Recover allows Porygon2 to replenish its health to stay on the field for longer periods of time and to stay alive longer. Boomburst lets Porygon2 hit almost every Pokemon with a strong STAB attack with solid neutral coverage. Thunderbolt can be used instead of Boomburst in combination with Ice Beam to form the BoltBeam combination, which has near-perfect neutral coverage; however, it doesn't hit as hard as Boomburst. Shadow Ball is used to hit Psychic- and Ghost-types super effectively and can hit the Ghost-types that Boomburst can't, but in general, it can't provide the amazing coverage that BoltBeam does. Rapid Spin is an alternative in the third moveslot as well to let Porygon2 perform as an entry hazard clearer. Glare lets Porygon2 cripple fast foes, even Ground-types, so that its teammates can easily outspeed and KO them and in general helps alleviate pressure on the team. Toxic can be used instead of Glare to cut down the foe's HP to make KOing all foes easier and is used for taking down bulkier Pokemon.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defense EVs, a Bold nature, and Eviolite let Porygon2 be as bulky as possible to survive more hits from threatening physical attackers such as Landorus-T. Trace lets Porygon2 take advantage of the foe's ability, and it is used over Download to allow Porygon2 to act as a switch-in to more Pokemon. For example, you can switch Porygon2 in against Intimidate users like Landorus-T to lower their Attack in return; Prankster users like Thundurus and Sableye to have priority Recover and Glare or Toxic; Rough Skin and Iron Barbs users like Garchomp and Ferrothorn to deal residual damage to physical attackers and more specifically Fake Out + Extreme Speed users; Regenerator users like Slowbro and Tornadus-T to get free health back when Porygon2 switches out; Flash Fire users, specifically Heatran, to gain another immunity; and Multiscale users like Dragonite early-game to have more bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Like it was mentioned above, switch Porygon2 in on Pokemon of various abilities to take advantage of said abilities. Avoid Knock Off users such as Weavile to retain Porygon2's added bulk from Eviolite for as long as possible. Try to avoid getting badly poisoned and burned to prevent having to use Recover more times than necessary. Avoid Fighting-types such as Mega Lopunny and Terrakion, as they have strong STAB moves that easily 2HKO Porygon2, and Mega Lopunny has Fake Out + Extreme Speed to weaken Porygon2 more quickly. Try to use Boomburst to take advantage of Porygon2's nice base 105 Special Attack, and try to use the move to wear down Pokemon that lack recovery. Recover should be spammed quite frequently to ensure that Porygon2 can stay on the field for as long as possible.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard setters like Klefki, Garchomp, and Ferrothorn make it easier for Porygon2 to KO threatening foes. Entry hazard clearers such as Starmie, Landorus-T, Latias, and Excadrill allow Porygon2 to switch in more easily so that it can survive more hits. Pokemon that resist Fighting-type moves like Clefable, Mega Slowbro, and Landorus-T are good teammates because they easily take care of Terrakion and Mega Lopunny and help it live longer. Fairy-types in general pair well with Porygon2 because they resist and can switch in on Fighting-types and can take care of Dark-types, especially those with Knock Off. Clerics are good teammates because of their ability to help Porygon2 live longer. Pokemon that take care of Steel-types, such as Fighting- and Ground-types such as Terrakion and Excadrill, are good partners to reduce the number of times Porygon2 has to switch out; Magnezone is also a good teammate because Magnet Pull lets it trap Scizor and Ferrothorn and easily KO them with Hidden Power Fire. Volt Switch, U-turn, and Parting Shot users such as Magnezone, Scizor, and Weavile are helpful for getting Porygon2 in safely. Wallbreakers such as Terrakion are useful for taking care of the bulkier Pokemon that Porygon2 struggles with.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Baton Pass lets Porygon2 pass the boost it gets from Download to a teammate and lets it gain momentum. Boomburst allows Porygon2 to hit almost every Pokemon really hard and removes threatening foes for teammates. Glare can be used to let Porygon2 cripple fast foes, including Ground-types, so that it and its teammates can easily outspeed and KO them. Swords Dance can be used over Glare to let Porygon2 pass large Attack boosts to its teammates. Recover lets Porygon2 stay healthy for longer periods of time and makes it more annoying for the foes to KO it. Toxic can be used as an alternative in the third moveslot to cut down the foe's HP more quickly, leading to more easy KOs. Substitute can also be used in the third moveslot to let Porygon2 pass a form of defense onto its teammates and allows the Pokemon coming in to avoid taking damage.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Try avoiding Knock Off users such as Weavile so that Porygon2 can keep the additional bulk from Eviolite for as long as it can. Try to avoid status also so that Porygon2 doesn't need to spam Recover and waste its PP. Stay out of the way of Fighting-types such as Mega Lopunny and Terrakion, as they can both easily KO Porygon2 with their STAB moves. Avoid stat-lowering effects such as Parting Shot, Intimidate, and Sticky Web to prevent making teammates weaker and slower. Baton Pass the stat boosts obtained from Download onto Porygon2's teammates. More specifically, pass Attack boosts to physical attackers and Special Attack boosts to special attackers. Porygon2 can also be used as a defensive pivot with Baton Pass against frail Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Porygon2 appreciates having entry hazard setters such as Klefki, Ferrothorn, and Garchomp as teammates because they make it easier for Porygon2 to KO threatening foes. Entry hazard clearers like Starmie, Landorus-T, Latias, and Excadrill are good teammates because they allow Porygon2 to switch in more easily and let it survive more hits. Clefable, Mega Slowbro, and Landorus-T are good teammates because they can switch in on Fighting-types that threaten Porygon2, helping it live longer. Physical attackers such as Terrakion and Scizor appreciate the Attack boosts from Download, whereas special attackers such as Thundurus and Mega Diancie appreciate the Special Attack boosts. In general, Fairy-types are decent choices for teammates because they resist Fighting-type moves and can switch in on Dark-types that carry Knock Off. Frail yet strong attackers like Weavile appreciate Porygon2's ability to switch it in safety with Attack boosts. Volt Switch, U-turn, and Parting Shot users such as Magnezone, Scizor, and Weavile are helpful for getting Porygon2 safely, and Porygon2 works well with them in return thanks to Baton Pass. Rotom-H in general is a very good Pokemon, especially if Porygon2 is running Rapid Spin, as Porygon2 takes care of Stealth Rock for Rotom-H, and in return, Rotom-H checks Thundurus and is used as a pivot to Porygon2.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A bulky Swords Dance set with Hidden Power Fire, Swords Dance, Extreme Speed, and Recover, (RC) along with a Brave nature, Download, and an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA can be used to let Porygon2 act as a bulky setup sweeper and revenge killer; however, while its higher bulk gives it an advantage, this set is outclassed by Ursaring and Mega Lopunny as Extreme Speed users because it takes longer to set up. An EV spread of 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD with 0 Speed IVs and Analytic can be used to let Porygon2 hit extremely hard and almost always get a boost from Analytic; make sure to run Boomburst if you do use this. Heal Bell is good to let Porygon2 cure itself and its teammates of any status ailments, but its limited moveset prevents it from being fit in. Whirlwind can also be used to phaze setup sweepers, but yet again, Porygon2's four-moveslot syndrome prevents it from fitting into the moveset.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Specially Bulky Pokemon**: Status inducers, specifically Will-O-Wisp and Toxic users such as Sableye and Heatran, make Porygon2 need to repeatedly spam Recover to stay healthy, which wastes its PP and makes it eventually run out. Special walls in general such as Chansey and Ferrothorn take little damage from Porygon2's attacks, and Ferrothorn and Heatran also resist the Boomburst + Thunderbolt combination it uses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)