Project SS PU Effective, Creative, and Underrated Sets [REPLAYS REQUIRED]

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
OP adapted from this thread
Amazing artwork by Ssensenh (Thank you again!)

1590879761328.png
Welcome to SS PU Effective, Creative, and Underrated Sets! This thread is for posting any innovative movesets you might have, as well as any updates to old standards that have fallen out of favor in the current PU metagame. If someone helped you create a new moveset, please credit them in your post. Additionally, please always include a replay of your set in action, along with a short description! Not only will doing so serve to strengthen your case that your set is effective and should be used by others, but this will also inform newer players how to play with and build around your creative set. Any set posted here lacking either a description and/or a replay will not be added to the archive and may be deleted.

Some example posts from previous gens:

Murkrow @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Mirror Move
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Z-Mirror Move is great, since in tandem with Prankster you get to use the last move the opposing Pokemon used against you as a Z-move and before you perform this Z-move you get +2 in Attack. This allows Murkrow to act as an emergency revenge killer that can then countersweep/break with boosted Brave Birds and Sucker Punches. Protect is an innovation of mine: Murkrow's fourth moveslot is up for grabs since it lacks good coverage moves and something like Pursuit is not that useful on this Pokemon, and Protect can have its use in certain matchups. For one, it allows for Murkrow to prevent Kangaskhan from revenge killing it by blocking Fake Out and outspeeding and killing afterwards with +2 Brave Bird. It also makes sure that Primeape can only revenge kill with the unreliable Stone Edge, since protecting on the Close Combat, then copying with Mirror Move allows you to OHKO Primeape when you're at +2. Furthermore, if it comes in on a Pokemon that didn't use an attack in the previous turn, it can bait that Pokemon into using an attack it can copy by using Protect then following it up with Z-Mirror Move. Do keep in mind Mirror Move fails if the opponent switches out, however you still get the +2 from Z-Mirror Move regardless of whether you successfully copy an attack or not.

Finally, a replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-654074715

This replay nicely shows how Protect can be very clutch. Pinsir used Z-Me First in the previous turn in order to kill my Mesprit and get +2 in Speed, allowing it to outspeed my entire team while having enough bulk to tank any priority I could throw at it. Without Protect, I'd probably have to rely on a Sucker Punch crit or a Stone Edge miss on my Oricorio (Z-moves can't be copied by Mirror Move), but thanks to Protect, I could bait Pinsir into using Stone Edge so I could copy it with Z-Mirror Move and revenge kill Pinsir. I recommend you try this Pokemon out since it's pretty underrated and put Protect on it, it certainly has its use.

You guys probably saw this in my match against Dodmen for PU seasonals (if not, here it is: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-285258422), but I brought something new that I think has a place in our current meta, in which wallbreakers running from base ~80 to base ~100 Spe are exceptionally effective (for example, Stoutland and Dodrio). While its offensive coverage isn't nearly as good as these two, Leafeon is something that I find works well with a Choice Band given its nice physical bulk, access to Knock Off, and ability to grab momentum via Baton Pass:

Leafeon @ Choice Band
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Bullet Seed
- Knock Off
- Baton Pass / X-Scissor / Double-Edge / Iron Tail

You may be wondering why it's running Leaf Guard - that's because Bullet Seed is illegal with Chlorophyll. But, Bullet Seed is one of the primary draws of this set, as it lets you break past HO leads with Sturdy or Sash, while handling threats using Substitute that don't resist Leafeon's STAB Bullet Seed. Rampardos and Golem are very common HO leads (currently present in our sample teams), while Lead Relicanth is used on Rain to set up both Rain Dance / SR. These 3 are all OHKOed by CB STAB Bullet Seed through Sash / Sturdy, even if you get a paltry 2 hit out of the deal. Bullet Seed also ruins Substitute users and hits them hard (save for Substitute users that resist Bullet Seed, like Articuno).
:Golem:
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Bullet Seed (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Golem: 392-464 (130.2 - 154.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Lead :Rampardos:
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Bullet Seed (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rampardos: 364-432 (108.6 - 128.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Rain Lead :Relicanth:
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Bullet Seed (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Relicanth: 392-464 (114.9 - 136%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Outside of breaking most HO leads, CB Leafeon finds a lot of utility against Balanced or Bulky Offense teams looking to find a solid switch-in for Leafeon. I used this in tandem with a core that is able to handle threats to Leafeon, most notably Sap Sipper Zebstrika and Jumpluff. Coupled with Defog and a Slow-Turn from Vullaby (which is a hard counter to Jumpluff), and paralysis / SR support from Stunfisk (which counters Zebstrika outside of Me First Zeb), I gave Leafeon the support it needed to be effective in the above replay.

Slow U-Turn / Volt Switch / Baton Pass all make it so Leafeon has a free switch-in, at which point it's able to threaten the other team with a powerful Knock Off that can 2HKO specially defensive Roselia / has a chance to OHKO Zebstrika after SR / cripples Tangela switch-ins for Water-types to take advantage of that later on in the battle. Or, if Tangela switches into Leafeon later, X-Scissor can 2HKO after its Eviolite is gone. If you forgo Baton Pass in favor for more coverage, Double-Edge can also OHKO Jumpluff after SR damage.
:Zebstrika:
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zebstrika: 226-266 (77.6 - 91.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD :Roselia:
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Eviolite Roselia: 154-182 (50.6 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Roselia: 155-183 (50.9 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD :Roselia:
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 80 Def Eviolite Roselia: 167-197 (55.1 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 80 Def Roselia: 168-198 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

:Jumpluff:
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Jumpluff: 255-300 (87.6 - 103%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Jumpluff: 213-251 (73.1 - 86.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon X-Scissor vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Jumpluff: 170-201 (58.4 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Jumpluff: 138-163 (47.4 - 56%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

:Tangela:
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 68-81 (20.3 - 24.2%) -- 74.6% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangela: 168-198 (50.2 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

:Gourgeist-Super:
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 194-230 (52 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 132-156 (35.3 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

And finally, Leaf Blade is here as a powerful STAB move (with a high crit ratio to boot), so that Leafeon can wallbreak for its teammates. Defensive Stunfisk is OHKOed after SR, which is an especially notable calc and lets partners such as Dodrio or Zebstrika ruin the other team once Stunfisk is gone.
:Stunfisk:
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 348-410 (82.6 - 97.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

:Misdreavus:
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 226-268 (69.7 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Physically defensive :Relicanth:
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Relicanth: 516-612 (128 - 151.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Relicanth: 432-516 (107.1 - 128%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:Lickilicky:
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lickilicky: 225-265 (53 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

:Clefairy:
252+ Atk Choice Band Leafeon Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Clefairy: 159-187 (46.2 - 54.3%) -- 54.3% chance to 2HKO

In addition to Leafeon, there are other Pokemon sitting in this same general Speed tier (base 80 - base 100) that also do well with Choice items. Basculin is another example that I've found effective with Aqua Tail / CB / Adamant for that extra bit of power, and found the same level of success with it when paired with the necessary support.

If you post a bad gimmick here, your post will be deleted. Users who violate this rule may also be infracted.

What constitutes a bad gimmick?

• Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in PU, for the sake of using it in PU.
  • Using an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
  • Movesets that are utterly impractical or are done infinitely better by a different, more viable Pokemon.
Lastly, check out these links if you are interested in building in older generations of PU, or are simply feeling nostalgic:

GEN 7 PU UNDERRATED SETS THREAD: Iteration 1 (Akir)
GEN 6 PU UNDERRATED SETS THREAD: Iteration 1 (Anty) / Iteration 2 (Dundies) / Iteration 3 (Akir)

Attachments

Last edited:

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
Alright lets kick this thread off with;
1589673692294.png

Dartrix @ Eviolite
Ability: Long Reach
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Atk / 252 SpD or 252 Def
Careful Nature or Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade

Dartrix has been somewhat quite unpopular during the gen8pu so far, but it definitely deserves some love. A perfect counter for shiinotic, works well against our stacked fighting types (falinks, throh, hitmontop) and depending on which spread you end up going, it also can hard wall manectric, raichu. Its stats are very respectable with added eviolite 75/78/70.

Its ability long reach means it cant take recoil from rocky helmet users, cant get statused from shiinotic effect spore and is capable of spamming knock of to support your team mates. BB+Leaf Blade double stab lets you click buttons pretty freely as it covers almost entire tier. Silvally Bug and Psychic are now on drivers seat, which this thing can hit both very well to get chip done for your cleaner

Below you can see few replays where Dartrix puts good amount of work with very mediocre team around it (the team is pretty much just to test different sets around so yeah...).

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1115728909 Dartrix putting ton of work
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1115765082 3attack slot clicks free buttons and hard walls beheeyem
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1115632738 creates lot of space for hitmontop mid game
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1115735643-29xkngaxycmo67ca92w3qf53aj0jd09pw mid game silv elec getting chipped hard

This thing deserves some love and hopefully will be used more. I mentioned a 3atk+roost set, but its movepool carries also; Defog, toxic, haze, sucker punch which are all very good alternative options to use. Not sure if SD will get any kind of usage, but its still there with base 75atk to click buttons.

Cheers lads :heart:

TTK

Webtoon Character
is a Community Contributor

Lampent @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Blast
- Haze / Taunt
- Hex

Finally this thread is up so it's about time I show this set off because it's been quite successful for me. 100% win rate in PU Kickoff Tour r4 and r5 (I'm like the only dude using it anyway). At the start of the month with the new drops, I wanted something that could handle the likes of Dubwool and Rime while dealing with Silvally-Poison and Spdef Lampent was the answer I found. Spdef Lampent has been a consistent check to Dubwool and probably one of the best Dubwool answers because Fire Blast nukes it and most of the time a good Mr Rime check because it doesn't run Shadow Ball all the time. In addition to this, being able to take on the bulky psychics in the tier such as Beheeyem and Musharna with the combination Will-o-Wisp + Hex, Lampent has done me wonders. It beats Mawile and appreciates the rise of Gourgeist which cannot do anything to it and proceeds to lose to Fire Blast. Silvally-Bug also gets beat by Lampent and Surf is a 3hko so it can always win the 1v1.

To explain the set, Will-o-Wisp is a must, being able to shut down pokemon like Silvally-Bug and also burning the psychic types and boosting Hex's power in order to reliably beat them. I opted for Fire Blast over Flamethrower for more damage obviously, I don't care about missing when it does 89% max to rime with 4 SpA EVs so yeah. Haze is nice for stopping Musharna from setting up but Taunt is a nice alternative to 1v1 Pyuku and shut down Shuckle but I prefer Haze.

Here are some replays to show off Lampent's capabilities:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1115269759 - In my PU Kickoff Tour r5 series vs the pharoah, Lampent is able to go toe to toe with Work Up Silvally-Electric, handling a +2 tbolt and finishing it off with Fire Blast.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1111622817 - Some old meta stuff due to Poisonvally being in the tier but Lampent just scared out non Shadow Ball Mr. Rime with its mere presence.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1115311107-2uf81frbwb1ayoumllgdl5gakys2rg5pw - Lampent is able to apply pressure towards Musharna the entire game and is able Haze it and proceed to burn the incoming Hitmontop at Turn 18.

Try Lampent out guys, it's a pretty cool mon!

Last edited:
Shoutout to the mods for putting this together, I love these kinds of threads. Anyways, today I will be discussing the true og:

Young Glalie is not only a fly-ass pokemon, but can function quite effectively as a spike lead. Here is the set I'll be referencing:

Glalie @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 SpA / 216 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard
- Explosion
- Spikes

Glalie should only be used on offensive teams. The idea is to bring Glalie in, set up as many spikes as possible, and get out. Naturally, Focus Sash + Explosion are the bread and butter of this set. Once Glalie sets up at least one layer of spikes, it's usually a good idea to kaboom. Using Explosion allows you to gain momentum and sweep with one of your breakers. Even one layer of spikes can go such a long way in many matches. Some strong pokemon that appreciate spikes support from Glalie are: Silvally, Manectric, Basculin, Stonjourner, and Falinks. Falinks is an especially noteworthy partner as defiant discourages opposing defog.

While Glalie is a cool pokemon, it's jack-of-all-trades stats leave something to be desired. Nonetheless, With 216 speed EVs, Glalie can outspeed choice band Falinks and notably: Jolly Mr. Rime. While this isn't the greatest speed tier, it's still decently offensive and gets the job done. A maximum attack investment gives a strong priority ice shard and an even more powerful Explosion. The rest of Glalie's EVs are put into special attack to boost Freeze-dry for pokemon like Palpitoad and Vibrava. While freeze-dry isn't overly powerful, it can nab crucial kills and scare out opposing pokemon in order to set up spikes. Focus sash is used over Heavy-duty-boots to get guaranteed spikes. In addition, Glalie can be brought in against set up sweepers for a powerful explosion. (Just as a side note, people usually only expect Ice Shard from this thing and are really taken off guard by Explosion.)

Here are some notable calcs:

[40 SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Palpitoad: 288-340 (81.3 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
40 SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ludicolo: 268-316 (89 - 104.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
40 SpA Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Vibrava: 196-232 (64.6 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Glalie Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mr. Rime: 249-294 (82.7 - 97.6%)
252 Atk Glalie Explosion vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Throh: 226-266 (50.9 - 59.9%)
252 Atk Glalie Explosion vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Hitmontop: 205-242 (67.6 - 79.8%)
252 Atk Glalie Explosion vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Falinks: 196-231 (72.3 - 85.2%)
252 Atk Glalie Explosion vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Beheeyem: 170-201 (48.1 - 56.9%)

And here are some replays:

Last edited:

Landon

im in that tonka
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
CheeryEmptyIggypops-small.gif

Gourgeist @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 20 HP / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast / Mystical Fire / Flamethrower

I definitely feel this set needs some more love. The speed is to outpace mons like Mr. Rime and Stonjouner which can do a number to this mon. In my opinion, 252+ special attack is needed so you can hit as hard as possible. The 20 HP is just leftover. Even with a measly base 58 special attack, Gourgeist hits pretty hard. After one NP it's able to OHKO Glaceon, Mawile, Pawniard, Leafeon, Shiinotic, non spdef Beheyeem, non bulky Rime, unboosted Falinks, and so much more. Mons like Mawile, Gourgeist-S and Vibrava are almost free to setup against as well. It's pretty much a hard counter to Dubwool and you are able to 1v1 Throh which is cool.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1081837229 yes ik this game is older, but it still does its job in showing what gourg is capable of
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1114216493 gourg pretty much destroys the entire team
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1116522223 gourg breaks and chips most of the team, allowing lapras to win in the end

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey everyone, we just got some amazing new artwork for the thread! Big shoutout to Ssensenh for the new banner (for links to more of her art, go here)!

What's that on Roselia's back, you ask?

If you've seen any of my recent builds, I've been tinkering with Eject Pack spam + high bp drop moves, mainly on offensive VoltTurn squads, ex. Overheat + Recycle Eject Pack Heatmor, CC + Thief Eject Pack Hitmontop, Superpower + SR Eject Pack Stonjourner, and my most recent creation, Leaf Storm Eject Pack Roselia. tlenit1 has been testing many of these squads for me, and we've found that this item offers so much potential and is applicable to a whole host of offensive threats that would otherwise be in danger of losing momentum and being set up on post-drop, if not for Eject Pack.

https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani-shiny/roselia-f.gif

Roselia @ Eject Pack
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm

Roselia's bulk (50 HP / 45 Def / 80 SpD) on offensive sets is bad enough without serious investment in SpDef and HP that I often consider using a different item, like Focus Sash over Eviolite. Eject Pack is another solid option, as it essentially turns Leaf Storm into a high-powered, Grass-type Volt Switch that prevents Roselia from being set up on after its use, but more importantly, it lets you keep up momentum after setting Toxic Spikes or crippling something with Sleep Powder. I find Timid more important than Modest on this set, as the extra Speed allows you to Sleep Powder or set Toxic Spikes on additional targets (i.e. Speed-tie with +nature Glaceon, Heatmor, outspeeding Jolly Pawniard (rare), Adamant 252 Spe Hitmontop, Modest Ludicolo, Adamant Seaking, and some others), but there's still value in dropping a max power Leaf Storm and switching out automatically.

I'll edit in some better replays, but here's one for now: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1124081433

Last edited:

zS

this is all a moo point
is a Top Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
:meowstic-f:
raise me up (Meowstic-F) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Competitive
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Protect
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
Meowstic is a very underrated pokemon and people Always forget it during teambuilding. First Impression and Pawniard's sucker punch make people feel confortable against frail set-up sweepers. So I decided to use Protect on my Meowstic since it outspeeds all the First Impression users and I also have a Colbur Berry that allows me to take a hit from Pawniard or from the few scarf users that run Dark type moves (heatmor, falinks…). Psychic + Tbolt is at least neutral on pretty much all the metagame. This set can be devastating late game because there are only a few ways to revenge kill it since you can scout which move the opposing scarfer is locked on with protect and take advantage of this situation to send your counter.
Thanks for reading!
meow.jpg

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
Hello! I have more sets for you and will reveal all after PUPL ends. But, now that this one's been revealed, there's no harm in posting it. :heart:

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani-back-shiny/appletun.gif

Appletun @ Eject Pack
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 92 Def / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Body Press
- Apple Acid
- Draco Meteor
- Recover

Another broken slow pivot for the meta? Sign me up. Eject Pack applications are numerous, but there are some Pokemon that make better use of it than others. Appletun is in my opinion one of those - Eject Pack lets it turn its Draco Meteor into a momentum grabbing move, which is complemented nicely by its low Speed. This slow, Dragon-type "Volt Switch" is perfect for bringing in fast and frail threats in like Ninjask, Kadabra, or whatever you feel like using.

Eject Pack has a second application on it, as bulky Intimidate Mawile will try to switch into Appletun's dual STABs. If Mawile doubles into Appletun, Intimidate activates Eject Pack and sends you out into one of Appletun's partners that can check Mawile for you. Run with a good Mawile check and build from there!

Body Press could be replaced by Recycle so that you get multiple uses out of Eject Pack, but realistically, this move is important for hitting Pawniard and chipping other Steel-types like Perrserker, as Apple Acid activates Pawniard's Defiant. EVs on this are for creeping base 50s and anything else that creeps base 50s, but you could optionally reallocate these Speed EVs toward Appletun's Defense so that it can OHKO Pawniard (Bold with 124 Def EVs + SR for that calc).

I've had this in my builder a while and was waiting to unleash this on PUPL. Here's a replay of neider using this against Procopius for week 4: sjneider vs procopius. Hope you guys enjoy!

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Swoobat @ Blunder Policy
Ability: Simple
EVs: 192 Def / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Timid Nature
- Supersonic
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Heat Wave

So the inspiration for this set actually came from MZ and his failed attempt to make Bulky Swoobat work and avarice using a similar strategy on Kangaskhan. Idea is pretty straightforward. Supersonic something and you either hit the 55% accurate more and go off of confusion hax to get a Calm Mind off, or you miss and instantly get to +4 speed giving you a fast 100 BP Stored Power right away which is the equivalent of going for Calm Mind but you're easier to revenge kill. With the added speed recieved from Blunder Policy, you no longer need Salac Berry and Substitute to get yourself a +2 boost which allows for the extra bulk you see. The 64 Speed EVs lets Swoobat hit 924 Speed after Blunder Policy activates, outspeeding everything up to Jolly +2 Ninjask. The rest is thrown into defense to take physical hits better as you're already boosting your Special stats with Calm Mind, specifically with the added Defense investment, you guarantee live Sucker Punch from Pawinard from full.

252+ Atk Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 192 Def Swoobat: 230-272 (83.6 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Nothing world shattering by any means, but a fun tech to try out even if it does require some luck behind it.

Quick replay of it in action against Royesk granted i set up way too soon: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1151753357-e64xjk27v5bppopyjyvn2gut8fx78r8pw

Hello, putting some of my sets here that are great fun to use: some of them are old, others are new, but all of them benefit from the Ninjask ban.

Kadabra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic Terrain
- Expanding Force
- Dazzling Gleam
- Counter / Shadow Ball

A variant of Sash Kadabra, this set exploits Kadabra's naturally high base Speed and the broken combo of Psychic Terrain and Expanding Force. Thanks to Magic Guard you can quite easily set up Psychic Terrain and nuke anything that doesnt resist Psychic (and some things that do). What's more, Psychic Terrain's secondary effect protects Kadabra from priority, making it much harder to revenge kill. I like to run Counter in order to have the option of preventing a physical sweep but Shadow Ball can be used to better hit Dusknoir, who is one of the few who can switch into this set.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1148046323
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1148052074
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1148065242

Hitmonchan (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 72 SpD / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch / Thunder Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Rapid Spin

This set turns Hitmonchan into a double dancer with the combination of Power-Up Punch and Rapid Spin. After a Spin you outspeed Raichu and can proceed to boost and drain opponents to oblivion. I prefer Ice Punch, which allows you to better hit Gourgeist, Tangela, Vespiquen, Unfezant etc, but Thunder Punch can be run to deal with the ever-annoying Mareanie. A hard set to use, but when you pull it off it has the potential to snowball entire teams.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1153845676-zie4khmkae2rr0p96szq2mwc103qt78pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1153876884-boxzqmfle8fyej55gesda3zizkuh559pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1153884092-cgjxc60p5n8g507icj51m19ipymajxvpw

Klinklang @ Metal Coat
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Substitute
- Magnet Rise

This bulkier Klinklang set functions as an anti-lead as well as a sweeper, with Metal Coat giving you the OHKO on Crustle and greater damage output in general. Opting for Magnet Rise in the last slot allows you to set up on Ground-types like Sandslash, with the additional HP investment removing the possibility of Knock Off breaking Sub. This is the set I ran but I imagine there is room for versatility, for example you could run 144 Speed to always outspeed unboosted Sandslash or Protective Pads to avoid Rocky Helmet/Static.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1153876884-boxzqmfle8fyej55gesda3zizkuh559pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1153930994

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Retaliate
- Stomping Tantrum
- Superpower
- Psychic Fangs / Facade

I've seen a few people say that Stoutland was nerfed hard from the removal of Return, and while this is true, Retaliate helps it to remain a threat when banded. 140bp banded STAB hits extremely hard, oftentimes forcing people to switch to Steel-types just to take it, which you can exploit with Stomping Tantrum or Superpower.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1153884092-cgjxc60p5n8g507icj51m19ipymajxvpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1153930994

Lunatone @ Power Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Earth Power
- Psychic / Ice Beam
- Rock Polish / Protect

The oldest set on here, but one that benefits a lot from the Ninjask ban, and one that can threaten or lure a good amount of the new drops. The idea is that you use Meteor Beam turn 1 in order to boost your Sp. Atk - essentially a setup move that has the secondary effect of hitting like a truck - before making use of Lunatone's good special coverage to attempt a sweep. The last two slots are quite interchangeable dependent on preference, you can use Rock Polish to outspeed Scarf Manectric or Protect to avoid First Impression from Falinks, or opt for all coverage.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1140284404 (An old replay, but shows well enough how Lunatone can be played)

Thanks to uhuhuhu7, SOMALIA and Musharnanigans for helping me test some of these sets, and to the people on ladder for helping me get most of these replays.

Last edited:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
OML I am making a post at last....

:SS/slowpoke:
Slowpoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic / Thunder Wave / Yawn
- Slack Off
- Teleport

I tested this set for a little while and I am convinced it is pretty good. When you see a spread like this you would assume I would say Slowpoke is a defensive juggernaut and it should be placed on defensive teams to check physical attackers but on the contrary, I believe Slowpoke is an effective member for OFFENSIVE teams. Slowpokes pivoting ability is top-notch with little that can stop Slowpoke from switching in and abusing Teleport to go into offensive checks to take on whatever threat your opponent brings into play. Working similarly to U-turn Type: Null but trades extra bulk for the ability for amazing recovery as Regenerator does activate on Teleport this allows Slowpoke to switch in multiple times to easily pivot. Slowpoke works really well for countering Galarian Rapidash as Slowpoke can switch in to all of Galarian Rapidashes common sets and Teleport out into an offensive check which I feel is noteworthy as Galarian Rapidash tears offense apart most of the time. I used Galarian Rapidash as the example but Slowpoke does this on many Pokemon including some defensive Pokemon, this lets you bring in powerful breakers safely. Slowpoke does bring in some scary Grass-types as well as Dark-types and Ghost-types so I don't think it is the perfect Pokemon but with good teambuilding I feel it is very effective and worth a try.

I will thank SpacialRendevous for my replay. It really shows off Slowpoke and will give you guys an Idea of how I invisioned it should function.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1171903058-pb0uar6gkf9jwv8mh1qx842bm56uapkpw

1599185584232.png
Seaking @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 16 SpA / 12 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Blizzard
- Flip Turn

This is a physically defensive pivot intended to be used on more offensive teams, but can be tweaked a little and used on more balanced or defensive teams.

The main goal is to check the electric dogs (Boltund, Luxray, Manectric, etc.) without giving up momentum and having to switch into a dedicated wall as well as a few other things like Morpeko, both offensive/specially defensive Flareon, Sandslash, Silvally-Rock, Unfezant, etc.).

This set is difficult to switch into without giving up something. Knock Off gives utility to be able to get rid of items on incoming resists; Flip Turn gives momentum and coming off of a passable 92 base attack gives the extra chip needed for more offensive mons to pick up the KOs. Scald has the chance to burn physically offensive mons while also picking up some important 2 hit KOs at +1. Blizzard at +1 hits hard and gets some KOs, as well as Knock Off into Blizzard. Lighting Rod gives a nice electric resit making it easy to bring in, get +1, then either 2 hit KO whatever wants to come. For example this mon likes to invite in bulk grass types which get punished by +1 blizzard, or just Flip Turning out for momentum.

The set is EVed a specific way to pick up some important 2 hit KOs while being able to live 2+ hits itself. The 16 special attack investment is there to guarantee a 2 hit KO on Boltund with scald. The 12 speed investment puts it 1 point above the uninvested base 60 speed tier, still being faster than Tangela which likes to pivot in on this. The rest in HP and Defense allows it to not be 2 hit KO by anything Adamant Life-orb Boltund can do.

Some other options for this set are running Ice Beam over Blizzard, but form testing, Ice Beam seems to just not do enough and misses out on the KOs, but Blizzard also has a good chance of missing so that is a trade off. Icy Wind can also be run instead of Blizzard/Ice Beam if your team need the extra support with speed control, but this basically takes away the ability to punish bulky grass types wanting to switch in on you.

This set gets walled by Lapras and Politoed, although you can always still Knock Off things like AV Lapras before having to hard switch.

The main idea is that you always get something out a turn with this set; either you can do enough to go 1 for 1 with a more offensive threat or knock off and pivot around for momentum.

Some notable calcs:

===== 1v1 Boltund =====
252+ Atk Life Orb Strong Jaw Boltund Psychic Fangs vs. 252 HP / 228+ Def Seaking: 148-175 (40.6 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 16 SpA Seaking Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Boltund: 141-166 (50.5 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

===== 1v1 Luxray =====
Does not die to 2 Superpowers-
252 Atk Guts Luxray Superpower over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 228+ Def Seaking: 298-352 (81.8 - 96.7%) -- not a KO

Can take 1 Facade while racking up burn and rocky helmet damage-
252 Atk Guts Luxray Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 228+ Def Seaking: 208-245 (57.1 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

2 Hit KOs with scald at +1 after burn and rocky helment recoill
+1 16 SpA Seaking Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Luxray: 112-133 (37.2 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after burn damage (+ 33.33% from rocky helmet)

===== Tangela Pivot =====
Chance to 2 Hit KOs Tangela and gauranteed 2 Hit KO after rocks -
16 SpA Seaking Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 156-184 (46.7 - 55%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO

Knock Off into Blizzard-
0 Atk Seaking Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 29-35 (8.6 - 10.4%) -- possibly the worst move ever
16 SpA Seaking Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tangela: 232-274 (69.4 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 Blizzard-
+1 16 SpA Seaking Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 232-274 (69.4 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

===== Small chance to OKO Liligant with +1 blizzard after rocks =====
+1 16 SpA Seaking Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lilligant: 216-256 (76.8 - 91.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

===== Life Orb Leafeon Leaf Blade is a roll as well as +1 Blizzard =====
- Good chance of getting an OKO if catching a Leafeon switch in and getting the kill with rocky helment if it does not live the leaf blade.
252 Atk Life Orb Leafeon Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 228+ Def Seaking: 330-390 (90.6 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+1 16 SpA Seaking Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Leafeon: 242-286 (89.2 - 105.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

===== Can somewhat deal with Stunfisk =====
+1 16 SpA Seaking Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stunfisk: 186-222 (44 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 16 SpA Seaking Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stunfisk: 172-204 (40.7 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Couldn't seem to find a battle with Boltund today but here is one with the other 2 electric dogs:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1180849559-tyol45a1yv8fyi8tldoqn0i9tciz697pw

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
1600293897803.png

Liepard (F) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Attract
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot

I guess this can be dropped here as well with the entire set after I did the NP post. Current meta runs good amount of throhs which usually special Liepard cant pass. This is where attract comes into picture. The usual fighting checks Throh+Hitmonchan both rushes in the field when they see Liepard.

Meanwhile opponent is doing their switch, you get to behind substitute. From there you statistically always win 1v1 and can set up yourself to +6 (or whatever is needed).

Even then attract triggers 50% of time and you can turn lost games around with full HP end game Liepard to your win.

Sometimes love hurts, right

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1186759987-3krwiutt32o09mta2wn67vxuqzy4getpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1185346625-1rq6cfuvtxh6l7ydetr1iy6ibkbehowpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1184539733-2hkly3iray2junahlxn8aisang7j8ycpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1182808788-rpfbpjb2r8p5mvuh2mbkkoa1l5nc7ywpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1182669698-8fel6gms42kmkgflwhlj7d0gcsh8cq9pw

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Hey everyone, I'm not gonna go into a long description of this set or this pokemon, since everyone knows what it does, but i think it's a good time to share my patented delibird set:

HoHoHo! (Delibird) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Memento
- Freeze-Dry
- Rapid Spin

This set is a really fun way to spread holiday cheer this season. I know we've all had a tough year, so using this pokemon is a really fun way to relax and share a laugh. I've had way more positive interactions with other players using this pokemon and hope to continue using it all month. Maybe if we use delibird enough, we can even raise it up from the depths of ZU for christmas. Anyways, delibird is a unique pokemon and not as bad as people say. It has access to spikes as well as rapid spin, so it has enough utility to be barely viable.

The idea of this set is to lead delibird and set up as many spikes as possible. Then you ideally want to use memento before a sweeper tries to set up, or a defogger/spinner tries to clear you're spikes. Freeze dry provides more utility as well as stopping bulky waters and grounds.

Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1238617454
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1238658852

UberSkitty

Assist Skitty was banned from NatDex Ubers
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
hi here are some weird sets I could only find a replay for Haunter tho since some of these are kinda old but oh well

1608084984653.png

Toni (Haunter) @ Custap Berry
Timid Nature
- Endure
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Foul Play / Sludge Bomb

The idea of this set is to come in on mons that have managed to set up and can outspeed you. Expecting to be able to outspeed you, they'll go for an attack as you use Endure, allowing you to take a hit. This allows you to have priority Destiny Bond the next turn, taking you but also the threat out. An alternate option to go for that turn would just be Foul Play if it is a physical mon like Rapidash and has been weakened enough. Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb (if you run it) are just for Haunter to have an offensive presence outside of this gimmick and potentially suggest this set being something else such as Choice Scarf. This set can put a stop to mons like Ninetales and +2 Speed Frosmoth, but the reason I created this was to stop mons like Cofagrigus from sweeping under Trick Room, hence why I didn't just go Salac Berry.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1236161185

1608085007845.png

Spring Thing (Sandaconda) @ Life Orb
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hurricane
- Stealth Rock

This is an offensive alternative set for Sandaconda, while still setting up Stealth Rock. Earthquake and Stone Edge are standard attacking moves on Sandaconda, and while EdgeQuake is a great form of coverage, they still struggle to get through one type: Grass. With Fire Fang and Poison Tail being so weak, I searched further and found Hurricane. With this investment and Life Orb, it can 2HKO various defensive Grass-types, preferably as they switch in.

32 SpA Life Orb Sandaconda Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 205-242 (61.3 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
32 SpA Life Orb Sandaconda Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Lurantis: 166-198 (48.2 - 57.5%) -- 93% chance to 2HKO
32 SpA Life Orb Sandaconda Hurricane vs. 20 HP / 0 SpD Appletun: 185-218 (50.5 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
32 SpA Life Orb Sandaconda Hurricane vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Appletun: 185-218 (48.1 - 56.7%) -- 35.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
32 SpA Life Orb Sandaconda Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 190-226 (50.8 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I went max Speed so I could outspeed max Speed Modest Ludicolo and Adamant Poliwrath, as well as anything trying to creep those. Then the rest just went into Attack. The reason I went for a Lonely nature over Naughty was so I could better serve as an Electric immunity against Pokemon like Rotom-Fan and Jolteon, even if only a little bit. Not to mention Sandaconda has Defense to spare.

1608085055059.png

The Itch (Sableye) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Bold Nature
- Night Shade / Knock Off
- Recover
- Encore
- Disable

This set has definitely been run on other mons before, but Sableye is the first to get the combination of Encore+Disable+Prankster. This allows it to take use of either move or combine them over two turns in order to make the opponent struggle. Recover is a given, and Leftovers further helps with this specific set, although Rocky Helmet could work too. Night Shade is pretty exchangeable with Knock Off or even something like Foul Play, it's just there for some damage. Similarly, the EVs can be changed to max Defense, but I invested a decent amount of Special Defense in order to live some hits from some mons it's trying to take an immune hit from.

+1 0 SpA Musharna Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 136 SpD Sableye: 256-302 (84.2 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mr. Rime Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 136 SpD Sableye: 255-300 (83.8 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Kadabra Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 136 SpD Sableye: 252-299 (82.8 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Drampa Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 136 SpD Sableye: 239-282 (78.6 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

These are also examples of if the opponent only has one way to hit Sableye or are locked into a single move, they can be stopped by Disable. Also I didn't know what to draw for Disable Sableye (DiSableye) so I just gave it a stop sign and it went on from there.

1608085162576.png

R*bbit (Poliwrath) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Rock Slide

Finally Choice Scarf Poliwrath a set that has been used before, (and I totally didn't just find this out) but the only difference is its last move, Rock Slide. While moves such as Earthquake and Drain Punch can be run in that slot, this allows it to reliably revenge kill Frosmoth or hard switch into a Quiver Dance if it's at max HP. This is surprisingly easy for it if has Giga Drain. That's the main target, although it also allows Poliwrath to 2HKO bulky Froslass.

252 Atk Poliwrath Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Frosmoth: 400-472 (142.3 - 167.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Poliwrath Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Frosmoth: 400-472 (116.2 - 137.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Poliwrath Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Froslass: 176-208 (51.1 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Poliwrath Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Frosmoth: 238-282 (84.6 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Poliwrath Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Froslass: 150-177 (43.6 - 51.4%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO

Anyway, who needs Waterfall to flinch when you can flinch with Rock Slide, right?

ok the end bye

hi here are some weird sets I could only find a replay for Haunter tho since some of these are kinda old but oh well

View attachment 300317
Toni (Haunter) @ Custap Berry
Timid Nature
- Endure
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Foul Play / Sludge Bomb

The idea of this set is to come in on mons that have managed to set up and can outspeed you. Expecting to be able to outspeed you, they'll go for an attack as you use Endure, allowing you to take a hit. This allows you to have priority Destiny Bond the next turn, taking you but also the threat out. An alternate option to go for that turn would just be Foul Play if it is a physical mon like Rapidash and has been weakened enough. Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb (if you run it) are just for Haunter to have an offensive presence outside of this gimmick and potentially suggest this set being something else such as Choice Scarf. This set can put a stop to mons like Ninetales and +2 Speed Frosmoth, but the reason I created this was to stop mons like Cofagrigus from sweeping under Trick Room, hence why I didn't just go Salac Berry.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1236161185

View attachment 300318
Spring Thing (Sandaconda) @ Life Orb
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hurricane
- Stealth Rock

This is an offensive alternative set for Sandaconda, while still setting up Stealth Rock. Earthquake and Stone Edge are standard attacking moves on Sandaconda, and while EdgeQuake is a great form of coverage, they still struggle to get through one type: Grass. With Fire Fang and Poison Tail being so weak, I searched further and found Hurricane. With this investment and Life Orb, it can 2HKO various defensive Grass-types, preferably as they switch in.

32 SpA Life Orb Sandaconda Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 205-242 (61.3 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
32 SpA Life Orb Sandaconda Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Lurantis: 166-198 (48.2 - 57.5%) -- 93% chance to 2HKO
32 SpA Life Orb Sandaconda Hurricane vs. 20 HP / 0 SpD Appletun: 185-218 (50.5 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
32 SpA Life Orb Sandaconda Hurricane vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Appletun: 185-218 (48.1 - 56.7%) -- 35.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
32 SpA Life Orb Sandaconda Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 190-226 (50.8 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I went max Speed so I could outspeed max Speed Modest Ludicolo and Adamant Poliwrath, as well as anything trying to creep those. Then the rest just went into Attack. The reason I went for a Lonely nature over Naughty was so I could better serve as an Electric immunity against Pokemon like Rotom-Fan and Jolteon, even if only a little bit. Not to mention Sandaconda has Defense to spare.

View attachment 300319
The Itch (Sableye) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Bold Nature
- Night Shade / Knock Off
- Recover
- Encore
- Disable

This set has definitely been run on other mons before, but Sableye is the first to get the combination of Encore+Disable+Prankster. This allows it to take use of either move or combine them over two turns in order to make the opponent struggle. Recover is a given, and Leftovers further helps with this specific set, although Rocky Helmet could work too. Night Shade is pretty exchangeable with Knock Off or even something like Foul Play, it's just there for some damage. Similarly, the EVs can be changed to max Defense, but I invested a decent amount of Special Defense in order to live some hits from some mons it's trying to take an immune hit from.

+1 0 SpA Musharna Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 136 SpD Sableye: 256-302 (84.2 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mr. Rime Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 136 SpD Sableye: 255-300 (83.8 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Kadabra Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 136 SpD Sableye: 252-299 (82.8 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Drampa Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 136 SpD Sableye: 239-282 (78.6 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

These are also examples of if the opponent only has one way to hit Sableye or are locked into a single move, they can be stopped by Disable. Also I didn't know what to draw for Disable Sableye (DiSableye) so I just gave it a stop sign and it went on from there.

View attachment 300320
R*bbit (Poliwrath) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Rock Slide

Finally Choice Scarf Poliwrath a set that has been used before, (and I totally didn't just find this out) but the only difference is its last move, Rock Slide. While moves such as Earthquake and Drain Punch can be run in that slot, this allows it to reliably revenge kill Frosmoth or hard switch into a Quiver Dance if it's at max HP. This is surprisingly easy for it if has Giga Drain. That's the main target, although it also allows Poliwrath to 2HKO bulky Froslass.

252 Atk Poliwrath Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Frosmoth: 400-472 (142.3 - 167.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Poliwrath Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Frosmoth: 400-472 (116.2 - 137.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Poliwrath Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Froslass: 176-208 (51.1 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Poliwrath Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Frosmoth: 238-282 (84.6 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Poliwrath Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Froslass: 150-177 (43.6 - 51.4%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO

Anyway, who needs Waterfall to flinch when you can flinch with Rock Slide, right?

ok the end bye
Not sure i'm allowed to respond in this thread, but this is an amazing post and exactly the kind of thing I like to see. Great work!

:ss/gurdurr:
Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 244 HP / 148 Atk / 116 Def
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off

Gurdurr currently competes against other removal options such as Claydol or Hitmontop with all acting as a Rock-Type check with hazard removal however it compresses a couple more roles into the one slot with access to Knock Off to further support a team by removing items, Guts to act as a status absorber and Defog over Rapid Spin to confirm hazard removal, The given EV spread is to specifically to be a bit more bulky allowing Gurdurr to take 2 Brave Birds from Pivot Talonflame.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1306319430
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1306995953
I personally do not have replays yet however a spread consisting of 252 Hp / 32 Def / 224 SpD allows Gurdurr to check Pokemon like Drampa, Rotom, Heliolisk and Magmortar. With the given spread Gurdurr can also become a lure for Pokemon such as Whimsicott with Poison Jab or Stone Edge for Ribombee and Charizard. Thanks specifically to Tone who made the spread.

:ss/arctovish:
Arctovish @ Chople Berry
Ability: Slush Rush
Adamant Nature
- Hail
- Fishious Rend
- Icicle Crash
- Crunch

Wanted to get this out before Arctovish potentially leaves the tier next tier shift.

Not really much to say here, self-setting Arctovish is a solid late-game sweeper that does exactly what Arctovish does now without the burden of forced Snow Warning pokemon being on the same team. Chople Berry has been neat to survive CC from scarf Passimian/Braviary as well as take Vacuum Wave/Mach Punch if you've been chipped down but its not necessary with Life Orb and Heavy-Duty Boots also being solid options for either more offensive pressure or to reliably set up Hail without chip from hazards.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1305767011

:ss/galvantula:
Galvantula @ Throat Spray
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Energy Ball / Giga Drain
- Sticky Web

Here’s a set I’ve been using with decent success. Normally, whenever you‘re running Galv, people assume you‘re either Sash or Boots and don’t expect you to really be doing any kind of big damage. However, with Throat Spray, you get a nice SpAtk boost after using Bug Buzz, which gives you some impressive calcs like this:

+1 252 SpA Galvantula Thunder vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magmortar: 229-270 (78.6 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 SpA Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Druddigon: 195-231 (54.4 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Compared to:

252 SpA Galvantula Thunder vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magmortar: 153-181 (52.5 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Druddigon: 132-156 (36.8 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

While you can run Specs and achieve a similar power level, running Throat Spray has the advantage of being able to switch moves and being immune to Poltergeist after using it.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1336670950

Last edited:

Lunatone @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Earth Power
- Moonlight
- Power Gem / Moonblast / Ice Beam / Stealth Rock / whatever

Lunatone has a really useful set of resistances along with decent bulk and recovery that lets it get in for absolute free on a bunch of common mons - Garbordor, Sandaconda, Weezing, Aromatisse and really crucially it's a hard Charizard counter. This gives it plentiful opportunities against common team compositions to come in and throw out a Future Sight! We all know how good a move it is so I won't elaborate much on why having a mon that can consistently put strong Future Sights out is very useful. Earth Power lets it pressure our common protect-using spdef mons like Gigalith, Togedemaru and Lanturn that would like to come in and protect to eat the Future Sight without taking a concurrent attack, along with just being generally good coverage with Psychic. The last slot is pretty open, Power Gem is a generally usable STAB that lets you immediately pressure Zard (important for toxic sets) and have better neutral power, Moonblast lets you bop Guzz and Scrafty, Ice Beam hits Eggy, the fat grounds, grass types and still chips Guzz. It can even work fine as a stealth rocker if you need it! Oh, and you can creep stuff but 75% of the time this is switching into a Glare so I don't bother.

In terms of competition Xatu can get a lot of similar switches but because of its much worse bulk it's forced to Roost much more often, can't invest as much in spattk and ultimately isn't able to click Future Sight as often. If it wants to keep hazards off - the main reason to use it - you'll have to roost on Garb's Gunk Shot, Weezing's Sludge Bomb, Sandaconda's Stone Edge etc. Lunatone stomachs all of these with ease and can click Future Sight while still having enough hp to come into these mons again. And of course, countering an S-rank mon is a massive boon (and Xatu is leaving anyway!)

anyway replays!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1364685932
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1364393563
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1364518815-f5r19dw1l39gbo8cmvpb4hvx56hdqq6pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1363936749-f9dyak7k8bdnzfbav4p6cs0luck7dvvpw

wooper

heavy booty-doots
is a Forum Moderator
1635388899989.png

Drampa @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 12 SpA / 124 SpD / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Roost

taking inspiration from 2xTheTap's post in the pu team building lab, i wanted to share this :drampa: set ive been enjoying a lot recently. while its best set without a doubt is modest specs, this utility set is something that i think has a lot of merit. :drampa: boasts key resistances in fire, water, grass, and electric, with an immunity to ghost and an optional immunity to grass should you choose to run sap sipper (which i think you should on this set). this lets it sit easily on or pivot into mons like :tsareena: lacking hjk or triple axel, specs :jellicent: lacking ice beam, offensive :charizard: (more on this later), :silvally:-ghost without dragon claw, and :lanturn:.

boots allow you to come in on hazards and defog them away, roost for longevity, and dragon pulse for stab + flamethrower is mainly to hit steels like :togedemaru: and :ferroseed:. as for the spread, 116 speed hits 137 and is 1 points faster than uninvested base 50s like :regirock:, :aggron:, :perrserker:. max hp + 124 spdef avoids the 2hko from max spatk :charizard:'s hurricane, 8 def lives 2 earthquakes from +1 adamant max attack :charizard:. the last 12 evs are dumped into spatk with a modest nature, but it's important to note that a least 4 evs are necessary to always 2hko :charizard: with dragon pulse.
252 SpA Charizard Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 124 SpD Drampa: 151-178 (42 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252+ Atk Charizard Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Drampa: 152-179 (42.3 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Togedemaru Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Drampa: 96-114 (26.7 - 31.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Togedemaru Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Drampa: 123-145 (34.2 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

12+ SpA Drampa Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Charizard: 150-177 (50.5 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
12+ SpA Drampa Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 248+ SpD Togedemaru: 164-194 (49.1 - 58%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery, 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery, guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes and Leftovers recovery
12+ SpA Drampa Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Togedemaru: 240-284 (88.5 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO, 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
12+ SpA Drampa Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 200-236 (68.4 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

this set obviously lacks the breaking power of its superior specs set, and needs to be wary about status, namely toxic from the likes of :jellicent:, :lanturn:, and bulky :charizard:. as such, poison types like :weezing: and :qwilfish: pair nicely and handle fighting- and fairy-type attacks for you; :ferroseed: is another great toxic absorber, and appreciates your ability to handle offensive :charizard:. these three options allow you to form a nice anti-grass core. :scrafty: is another great pick for a status absorber, and together, you can overpower ghosts. however, you share a weakness to fighting- and fairy-type.

i wish i had some better replays to showcase :drampa:'s ability to beat specially offensive :charizard:, but these replays will have to do for now. i'll edit some in later if i face any and remember to save them.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1443070105
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1443072735

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)