Tournament SPL - RU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
format and everything stolen from rozes

Smogon Premier League
Season Schedule
Rosters
Farm League

Hey everyone, with the start of SPL7 I thought it would be a great idea to create a SPL megathread to discuss everything that has to do with RU in this upcoming SPL. This thread should be a great place for discussion on recent matches, who are the biggest threats in SPL, and who will emerge victorious with the best SPL record? I will continue to update this thread with Player Records, Replays, and just other general information, so look forward to that! With that said, this thread should not be a place to shit talk other players, or just negative discussion in general, and any of this will be met with swift punishments from the moderation team.
[RUIN] Kushalos - 5.5K
[RUIN] Mazar - 7K
[CONG] New Breed - 13K
[BIGS] galbia - 6.5K
[FLCN] 49 - 10K + 4K (retain)
[SCTR] Windsong - 4K
[TGRS] atomicllamas - 10K + 2.5K (retain)
[CRYO] Scythe. - 10K
[SHRK] Meru (possibly) - 9.5K
[RAID] Ginku - 10K + 4K (retain)
[WOLF] Afro Smash - 4.5K
soon™
soon™

Feel free to discuss anything about SPL and players, teams, replays, whatever! :pig:

Last edited:

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Looking forward to Scythe's, NEW BREED's, Kushalos' and llamas' games. Good luck guys!

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I'm certainly looking forward to New Breed's game because I am curious how he will fare in the current meta, as he is the Classiest's only RU player.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Nice overpay on Afro Smash.

Looking forward to this, nice to see that Mazar got drafted, that certainly was a surprise. Good luck to every player.

Funny how some teams dont even have ru players!

feen

control
Possible Predictions:

Kushalos/Mazar
vs Afro Smash- Well I don't know much about Mazar, but I do know that Kush is a solid af player and I believe that he has more experience with the current metagame than Afro Smash as he's one of the best builders right now and a great innovator.

Scythe.
vs Windsong- Scythe has been an amazing player in the past few months, and it will be very hard to stop this guy. Expecting to see some wonderful innovations and team from him!

New Breed vs 49- Both amazing players, and I cannot take any side because I didn't see them play enough to judge. Looking forward to this.

Meru vs atomicllamas- An amazing player and a builder, llamas has this because although Meru is a great player and builder as well, I believe his touch in RU has been rough, as I don't see him play the tier which changed a lot since I last saw him play. Match of the week if Meru plays.

galbia vs Ginku- I've seen galbia play and I like how he builds his teams and all. As for Ginku, I did not see him play so I cannot judge this game evenly. Looking forward to this as well.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Week 1 Matches are up:

ORAS RU: Kushalos vs aim
ORAS RU: Scythe. vs Windsong
ORAS RU: New Breed vs 49
ORAS RU: Meru vs qsns
ORAS RU: galbia vs Esteemed User Ginku

Some interesting (and unexpected match ups) qsns is playing RU this week cause I'm without computer for its entirety, but I'm pretty surprised to see aim in RU (free afro smash !_!). New Breed vs 49 is probably the highlight match up, but all of them are interesting for their own reasons, I'd really like to see kush come out on top and prove the power rankings wrong, scythe. vs windsong has that new and "untested" vs old and "out of touch" (quotes because both of these things are probably vastly exaggerated) thing going for it that kind of thematically fits with the drafted RU players this season. Neutral luck @ all and I hope to see some cool matches for sure n_n.

feen

control
I'm also interested in Galbia vs Ginku add they both are very good players and I assume it will be a great match.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yes, but lets revive it for the sake of doing so, WITH REPLAYS!
HUGE thanks and all the credit to Reymedy for compiling all the replays on a single thread cause otherwise I would need to do some really extensive replay research.

Lots of variety on the builds on first week all things considered :O the tier staples are there ofc (fletch, viri, etc) but they are staples for a reason. There was even a freaking mega banette. Refreshing stuff, me happy.

aim team looked like a classic RU ladder team.

phantom

Banned deucer.
galbia vs. aim
New Breed vs. atomicllamas
Meru vs. Esteemed User Ginku
Scythe. vs. 49
Kushalos vs. Windsong

^ week 2 matchups

galbia vs. aim - aim is a more solid and experienced player than galbia and has quite the backing for RU as well despite galbia's firmer grip on the tier, if galbia manages to clutch this though, i won't doubt him for the rest of the tour
New Breed vs. atomicllamas - both are good, but New Breed is a better player here so this should go to him. I think people tend to overrate the meta experience factor too much, especially since ru has changed quite a bit b/c of this month's recent drops. what's important here is tour experience and overall consistency
Meru vs. Esteemed User Ginku - I'm inclined to say ginku here since he's very consistent overall, but meru is capable of pulling wins out of his ass from nearly any opponent. this comes down to who gets the better matchup and ofc meru strats.
Scythe. vs. 49 - scythe didn't do so hot the previous week. despite having a good matchup, multiple misplays ended up attributing to his loss more so than luck. 49's teams tend to be better built and he's more experienced, so i'd be surprised if he loses.
Kushalos vs. Windsong - one of the closer matches this week. windsong played well last week whereas kushalos was a little too reckless (week 1 nerves is prolly to blame here), but I do think windsong has the edge here b/c overall spl experience > other stuff

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
galbia vs. aim
New Breed vs. atomicllamas - Really unimpressive performance w1, won due to a choke
Meru vs. Esteemed User Ginku - Should b good
Scythe. vs. 49 - Really unimpressive performance w1, choked a win
Kushalos vs. Windsong - Should be good too, i'm voting kush because i don't think windsong's team w1 was very good(he didnt play all that well either and won due to hax)

Don't really know much so i'm just going of from what i've seen week 1

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not entirely sure on what grounds you're commenting on my overall play being subpar in comparison to Scythe's; i made one genuinely poor play that game (playing around druddi sucker punch rather than earth powering) whereas Scythe made at least 2 (keeping MAboma in after I'd broken the sub rather than going to Tomb, and later sacking MAboma, which really threatened my team and pretty much swept me if he'd been able to pass it another ant sub, rather than sacking Druddi). I got lucky with my misplay not mattering. Conversely, Scythe was lucky to get the burn on Gurdurr; obviously a higher chance, but we're still talking 30%. The game also was by no means unwinnable if that Dragon Tail had hit--i wouldn't have risked Gon if it had been (keep in mind that Gurdurr was not burned at that point).

Sorry buddy; if you want a real example of a player winning through luck despite making mediocre plays, I recommend you check out teal6 v. xmarth: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-112803

my team was shit though i'll give you that

edit: because I come across as a blunt jerk with that, I just want to make sure I'm clear: Scythe played a great game, had a better team than I did, and otherwise made a fine SPL debut--far better than most RU players do when transitioning to tournament play. To assert that I flat out lucked an otherwise-assured win from him as Diogo stated above, however, is patently untrue.

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
That dragon tail miss was a pretty big and unfortunate momentum killer right there, the outcome could have changed but yeah, letting the aboma get weakened having a 90% guaranteed switch-in (dgleam is pretty uncommon) in spiritomb was also an important misplay.

Pretty neat game all things considered, missing and hax is part of the game and it just happens. Looking forward to this week.

Man, this teal6 replay have been commented for a while, lol.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Scythe used giga drain instead of blizzard and right then and there he deserved to lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)