SPL Avatar VR Thread

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

With my infinite tier (list) knowledge and questionable aesthetic tastes, I have decided to take the grueling challenge of creating a VR thread for the SPL Avatars that are being used in our lord and savior Twenty Twenty-One.

This is mostly for fun / memes, other than my rankings - which are objectively the only viable rankings on Smogon Dot Com Forward Slash Forums.

S Tier

A Tier

B Tier

C Tier

D Tier

Reasonings below:

Cryonicles - Perfect color combination, trainer, and Pokemon. Colors vibe well, sprite used is solid.

Tyrants - Iconic duo of Pokemon and trainer. I think Tyrants have my favorite logo too, but I'm huge on Raiders and Sharks as well for logo.

Sharks - Good choice with sprite and mon choice, obviously. Zima is a pretty fitting suit too. This one is a debatable S IMO.

Raiders - I think there could have been other trainer choices to suit better, but the Eirika with the spooky kimono is a nice touch, so I have to give it props there.

Bigs - Alolan Oak is a nice touch with Snorlax (and the details are good here on the sprite). I just feel really weird / indifferent on the combination. Probably closer to A on second inspection.

Tigers - Good mon choice. The trainer sprite is probably the weaker entry here, but I think it fits okay overall. Color scheme matches decently at least.

Ruiners - Trainer sprite is okay, but Christ the Entei sprite is atrocious. EDIT - On Second though, the bigger problem is all Entei sprites are pretty ass. This at least is the closest. I'll keep as is for now, but I could see > Tigers I guess.

Classiest - The trainer aesthetics are decent with the mon, but the Fisherman choice with a Psychic mon just feels... really awkward. Would have preferred Sabrina with this one, honestly. Guess banking for the "fishing" memes.

Wolfpack - Not really a huge fan of the trainer choice, but I think the more glaring issue is the blue bandana. I guess it's to match Lycanroc's eyes?

Scooters - Arguably the worst, IMO. I just don't see the Dawn aesthetic matching Mega Alakazam.

And that's it. Feel free to piss in the cheerios with your opinions, or just yell at me. Remember - no matter how I rank these, everyone who worked on the logos and sprites still deserve their utmost respect for dedicating time to doing it. These are just simply my right opinions.

Last edited:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i decided to think about this and don't disagree that much with you tbh

S:
1611062996196.png
what you said

A:
1611063033875.png
perfect colors, great match. only dislike is big big amount of colors and activity at once, but like it's worth it
1611063134670.png
not natural combination but i think it works well. colors that both match and are complementary. good vibe.
1611063408113.png
may sound strange but i don't love the trainer/mon combo.maybe because tyrantrum cant fly like lance's dragons? anyway good ofc
1611063585442.png
colors match well. a little too well so that feels a bit engineered, which is why i'm not as high as others on this. also floating bone fire

B:
1611063696207.png
match is so awkward but i'm relatively on board, it's silly and looks good. props to artist for making this strange combo look this good
1611063988528.png
what you said
1611063939775.png
what you said
1611064011095.png
combo is awkward, but it looks great. pale blue and yellow is just really nice

C:
1611064093964.png
mostly what you said. it'd feel kinda colorless without the blue bandana, and idk where i think color should go instead. maybe diff trainer would make that clearer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)