ORAS Ubers Soul Sealed Cherry Blossoms - A Mega Gengar RMT

Soul Sealed Cherry Blossoms
An RMT by Futatsuiwa of Sado

Introduction
Hello peoples of Smogon, and welcome to my second RMT. Mega Gengar is one of my favorite megas, and is the most fun mega in the Ubers metagame for me to use. I decided to pair it with Xerneas because I was kinda amused of the concept of using "The Saigyou Ayakashi" alonside "Yuyuko" (Touhou reference for all of you who don't know :3). The other Pokemon in this team were designed to both cover and take advantage of Mega Gengar's ability to trap and kill several annoying threats in the game effectively. This team is more of a bulky offense, as most Ubers teams seem to be, so it's quite different from what I usually play. I'm also rather new-ish to Ubers, so I hope I did this right. :toast:

Onto the team! Oh, and similarly to my previous RMT and any future RMTs I might make, click on the pictures! Small changes done in Green Italics.

Obviously, I started with these two wonderful mons. Gengar and Xerneas are both top tier threats in the metagame right now, and it's quite obvious why. Gengar traps and kills so many things like Lugia, Lati, Xerneas, weakened sweepers... the list goes on and on. With all the free removal of threats, Xerneas was an ideal set up sweeper to be paired. Also because those fabulous horns Moonblast too many things in the face.

I needed a strong wallbreaker and a way to remove things like Scizor and Aegislash for Xerneas, so I added Ho-oh. Ho-oh also provides some bulk for the team, which is greatly needed in Ubers. It also happens to have Sleep Talk to surprise those annoying Darkrais.

To support Gengar better, I added offensive Yveltal to eliminate opposing Ghost types like Arceus-Ghost and opposing Gengar, which would quickly be changed to defensive Yveltal because of P-Don and Mega Salamence. Defensive Yveltal is very annoying for teams that don't expect it, because at first glance this team seems very offense oriented.

At this point, my team was very weak to Electric attacks and still couldn't handle Mega Salamence too good so I added support P-Don. P-Don is such a versatile mon, boasting great supportive abilities, great bulk, and does all this while still hitting pretty hard. He can also phase threats so that's always nice.

To be honest, I don't really know why I added E-Killer when I had an obvious weakness to Stealth Rocks, so this changed immediately after the first few tests.

I settled on Latias as my hazard clearer mainly because I didn't want to use something like Arceus as a defogger and Latias can actually hurt some teams pretty bad with her Soul Dew boosted attacks. She's here over Latios because of her better bulk, which becomes even better when boosted by Soul Dew.

As suggested by Lord Outrage, Yveltal is replaced by Arceus-Water to check Salamence and Ho-Oh more effectively. It is also at this point that Geomancy Xerneas is replaced by Scarf Xerneas to deal with Darkrai a lot easier.

Ghost of Flawless Immaculate Beauty

"In a gathering of corpses there is beauty. Same goes for the cherry blossoms and spring."
天衣無縫の亡霊 (Gengar) (F) @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave

- Shadow Ball --> Focus Blast
- Protect
Mega Gengar is the ghost sealed away in the tree. Elegant. She's also quite the powerhouse. The only downside to it is that it feels like it has the defenses of a piece paper, but with such a high special attack and speed stat, oh well! Double switching is vital when using Mega Gengar, especially to kill Xerneas and bulkier mons like T-Tar and Ferrothorn. Pre-Mega, Gengar has 3 immunities which is important to letting him switch in easier, so consider when you want to Mega evolve. EVs are standard, maximizing his damage output and speed. Destiny Bond's there to scare the opponent out of attacking, letting you attack them. It also pairs really well with Shadow Tag and Taunt, basically netting Gengar at least a one for one, or more when used properly. Because of this, it can be used to remove any threat on the opponent's team that could prevent a Xerneas sweep. Sludge Wave is Gengar's strongest Poison move, letting her murder Xerneas. Shadow Ball is picked over Focus Blast because it lets Gengar hit Psychics like the Latis and Lugia. Focus Blast doesn't seem as needed for me because Taunt basically shuts down Blissey and Ferrothorn anyways. [\s] Focus Blast lets Gengar hit T-Tar, most importantly and other Steel-types like Ferrothorn for loads of damage. It also lets Gengar kill E-Killer after rocks most of the time. Protect gives Gengar a free Mega Evolution against stuff that could outspeed it if not Mega'd, most notably Arceus, Darkrai, the rare Skymin etc.

Saigyou Ayakashi

"It might have been ended without knowing my enlightenment circumstances.
If it were a world without priests' custom"
霊西行妖 (Xerneas) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 32 Def / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Sleep Talk
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
Here's our soul sealing tree of Hakugyokurou herself. Scarf Xerneas is a surprising mon for the opponent when they're like: Oh, it's not Geomancy. The fact that most Xerneas are Geomancy makes this set very effective, allowing you to bluff a Geomancy set and net some kills that you probably shouldn't have gotten. Scarf Xerneas also deals with things like Darkrai, and the rare Spore Smeargle very easily. EV's are there to give Genesect a Special Attack boost instead of Attack so you don't well... die. Speed EVs let Xern outspeed things like +1 Rayquaza and KO it with a Moonblast, while maximizing her damage output. Moonblast is Xerneas' best STAB move, hitting especially hard when boosted by Fairy Aura. Sleep Talk lets her take on Darkrai by surprising it with a move that's most likely going to kill it while it might try to Nasty Plot (not like they'll go first anyways). Thunder's mostly there for Kyogre and Ho-Oh dealing a tad more damage to them than Moonblast. Focus Blast hits Groudon, Ferrothorn and other mons that resist a Moonblast. Similarly to how Ho-Oh plays, Scarf Xerneas requires a lot of prediction analyzing what your opponent has in the back.

Figure of the Person of Hourai

"As I do not know death, I have surpassed that darkness. See this beautiful danmaku, unchained from the dark samsara!"
蓬莱の人の形 (Ho-Oh) @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Atk / 52 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake
CB Ho-Oh puts a lot of pressure on the opponent's team. It works very well with Xerneas, removing checks like Scizor and Aegislash very easily. It's also very naturally bulky, especially with the 50% burn chance of Sacred Fire, allowing it to switch into many attacks. CB maximizes Ho-Oh's damage, making it hit very hard, but be wary of the opponent locking you into a move they want, giving them free turns to set up with something like Salamence. Ho-Oh's ability Regenerator keeps it alive throughout the match, which is useful because of the all the recoil it takes from Brave Bird. The EVs let Ho-Oh survives +2 Xerneas Thunder at full health, letting it KO back with Sacred Fire. the Speed lets it outspeed Diancie before it Mega's, letting it EQ it, bar Protect. Sacred Fire is a very spammable move that cripples switch-ins that rely on physical attacks. Brave Bird is Ho-oh's hardest hitting move, that does huge damage to many mons. It's very important to know when to use either Brave Bird or Sacred Fire as Ho-Oh forces many switches. Sleep Talk lets Ho-Oh switch into Darkrai safely and punish it with a Choice Banded attack. It dies pretty much. Sleep Talk also makes Ho-Oh a lot harder for the opponent to switch into because of it's randomness. Earthquake lets Ho-Oh touch P-Don, which lets it weaken it.

Super Youkai Warhead

"I don't give a flip how these matches are going. Compared to these religions struggling for the top spot, my stall is much more important to me. I gotta earn back the equipment rental fee, after all!"
超妖怪弾頭 (Arceus-Water) @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Judgment
- Recover
- Toxic
Changed from Yveltal to better check Salamence and Ho-Oh. Arceus-Water is a rather nice tanky thing that can also hit certain things pretty hard. For this team, the mons it needs to check are Mega-Salamence and Ho-Oh, both of which it can tank hits from and retaliate with Ice Beam or Judgment respectively. It's also just a good physical body in general that puts pressure off of P-Don for being the teams main tank with no recovery. Recover is required for Arceus by improving its longevity and such, use it often as Arceus likes being as healthy as possible to check the things it's meant to check better. Ice Beam is a staple, letting it blast through Salamence and hit P-Don through sun. Judgment is a really powerful STAB move that hits Diancie, and most importantly Ho-Oh for tons of damage. Toxic is Arceus' way of putting on extra damage and wearing out the opponents tanks throughout the match. It's especially effective against mons without recover such as Groudon. Arceus is best used by switching it in frequently on Pokemon that don't do much damage to it, however, the opponent will get used to this and can predict an Arceus switch.

Girl of the Sphere of Neither Perception nor Non-Perception

"The way of the heavens and earth reverses at the extremes. And breaks at the fullest! Even the warmth of summer, with the passing of time, will cool and turn into winter."
非想非非想天の娘 (Groudon) @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock

- Earthquake --> Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Roar
P-Don is a mon used on 70% of teams (I think?) for a reason. It's extremely versatile in its sets. I chose to use support Don because he's my favorite Stealth Rock user in Ubers and deals with Xerneas and certain Arceus forms. The EVs on Groudon are EXTREMELY important to surviving certain attacks. The most important one is its ability to survive +2 Focus Blast from Xerneas after Stealth Rocks and some Spikes, while avoiding the 2HKO from Ogre's Ice Beam, Zekrom Outrage, Jolly Salamence Double Edge after Rocks, etc. Stealth Rock is an obvious choice for support-don. Earthquake is chosen over Precipice Blades because I like not missing with Groudon, and support Groudon doesn't miss the extra damage too much. Completely disregard that previous statement lol. P-Don does miss out on a few kills and I've always been one to go for the most damage possible. Lava Plume when boosted in the sun destroys Steels and is also a good move to just throw out whenever because of its 30% chance to Burn the opponent. Lastly, Roar is used to halt a Xerneas sweep. I'm tempted to replace it with Stone Edge for Ho-Oh, because I really only use Roar for Xerneas (Salamence and Arceus are dealth with by Yveltal), but Roar is just too important in case their Xerneas does manage to set up.

Wonderful Shrine Maiden of Paradise

"Well, all right. In this bamboo forest bathed in moonlight, you two will become one of the shining bamboo trees. How beautiful."
楽園の素敵な巫女 (Latias) @ Soul Dew
EVs: 212 HP / 120 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Latias is a lovely dragon jet thing with Soul Dew back in ORAS. It's just a free Calm Mind. What she brings to this team is a much needed hazard removal, decent defensive and offensive capabilities and a pretty effective pivot. Her EVs let her outspeed all base 100s like Palkia and Kangaskhan and lets her 2HKO Kyogre with Psyshock and most P-Don. The HP investments lets her avoid the 2 hit from unboosted Kyogre's Ice Beam and makes her tankier all around. Defog is self-explanatory, clearing hazards for Ho-Oh and Yveltal, and to an extent, P-Don, since he likes his health to remain as high as possible for as long as possible. Roost gives Latias an ability to stay longer. Draco Meteor is Latias' strongest move and hits P-Don and opposing Dragons for a lot of damage. Psyshock is Latias' other STAB and lets her hit Ogre, Ho-Oh and Blissey much better.
Old Team Members

The God of Makai

"You've been a little too violent for me to believe that."

Arceus @ Silk Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Refresh
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw

Guide of the Riverside Mist

"Lately, there have been a lot of spirits who go to the netherworld without achieving nirvana."
川霧の水先案内人 (Yveltal) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt
霊西行妖 (Xerneas) @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Sleep Talk
- Thunder
- Focus Blast

超妖怪弾頭 (Arceus-Water) @ Splash Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Judgment
- Recover
- Toxic

蓬莱の人の形 (Ho-Oh) @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Atk / 52 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake

非想非非想天の娘 (Groudon) @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Roar

天衣無縫の亡霊 (Gengar) (F) @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Protect

楽園の素敵な巫女 (Latias) @ Soul Dew
EVs: 212 HP / 120 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Threats
Ho-Oh's only immediately threatened by Arceus-Water. Get rocks up ASAP and frequently "remind" them you have water :3.

If Gengar is not in on Xerneas when it comes in, it can set up and kill it. It's even harder to deal with when P-Don is weakened.

Zekrom can do a surprising amount of damage to this team, P-Don obviously stops it though.

Conclusion
Thank Y'all for reading/rating! Keeping in mind my lack of Ubers knowledge, I believe I've done a decent job building a team. As usual, shout out to the RMT room for helping me out, specifically Valarr, Lord Outrage, haxiom and Peef Rimgar! Feel free to use the team to your desire, but I would appreciate it if you keep the names as it was the reason I was inspired to make the team. Alas, this is the end of my RMT, until next time! <3

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
I don't have much to say, this is a really good team.

I would try Protect > Taunt on Mega Gengar because when I testing the team out it was frustrating not having that speed and it will make your Darkrai match up better

I would also try precipice over EQ since that extra power can help out a lot.

I don't have much to say, this is a really good team.

I would try Protect > Taunt on Mega Gengar because when I testing the team out it was frustrating not having that speed and it will make your Darkrai match up better

I would also try precipice over EQ since that extra power can help out a lot.
Thanks for the rate!
I personally would rather keep Taunt>Protect because I don't have that much of a problem with Darkrai, despite Ho-Oh being my only reliable check, albeit a good one at that. That's the one thing I hate about Gengar. It's hard to decide what moves you want over what.
I'll try Precipice Blades>EQ, because I do see what you mean by it missing out on some KO's. Actually, I might honestly just do that lol.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Hi nice team, a lot better than most of the teams on this forum. There's only two small changes I'd recommend. First is changing Yveltal to Arceus-Rock. This helps alleviate the rather poor matchup you have vs Salamence, and gives you a good Ho-oh switch in, which is really problematic for you. It can come in freely on half the team and you dont have any good switch ins for it. Running refresh on Arceus-Rock can help with this (burns are annoying) and also gives you a good status absorber, and another win-con. You could also run will-o-wisp if you feel particularly weak to ekiller after this change, but this ties into my second suggested change of using Focus Blast over Shadow Ball on Gengar, to both help in dealing with Ekiller and in breaking stall teams that have Tyranitar. Also I do second using Protect over Taunt just because of how difficult it can be to mega evolve in some matchups and you really dont want to be slower than an ekiller cause you couldn't have a safe mega evolution.

Hi Futatsuiwa of Sado. First of all, your team looks solid. It's definitely good versus stall teams and bulky balanced teams. However, It looks like it will always struggle versus offense and some forms of balance. This is due to the following weaknesses:

1) Deoxys-S + Darkrai: your team has no way to stop Deoxys-S from getting Stealth Rock up. If Darkrai comes directly after it, I see you losing many of your Pokemon and losing the game afterwards.
2) Mega Salamence: It can come in on Ho-Oh for example and fire a hit. If it's Double Edge, It will 2HKO Yveltal and 1HKO everything else. If Stealth Rock is up, Return is enough to 2HKO Yveltal. Also, your Primal Groudon can't touch it.
3) Ho-Oh: Ho-Oh is a problem mainly because you need your field to be clean for your own Ho-Oh, so you can not really rely on Stealth Rock to stop it while many of your Pokemon can't touch it like -2 Latias, locked Ho-Oh, and Primal Groudon.

Now, those fixes will definitely help your team:

1) Arceus Water > Yveltal. Will check Ho-Oh and Mega Salamence with it's huge bulk and can also Toxic Primal Groudon.
Arceus (Arceus-Water) @ Splash Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Judgment
- Recover
- Toxic

2) Focus Blast > Shadow Ball and Protect > Taunt on Mega Gengar. You really need Focus Blast to kill Tyranitar who annoys Ho-Oh. You also need Protect to be able to handle fast Arceus formes since you can not outspeed them the turn you mega evolve.
3) Choice Scarf Xerneas > Geomancy Xerneas. Now that you have a solid Ho-Oh check you need to run Choice Scarf Xerneas with Sleep Talk for Darkrai. It's really good versus offense and will give your team that plus to win versus offensive teams.
Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Sleep Talk
- Thunder
- Focus Blast

Hope I helped and good luck!

Hey, you guys, thanks! I definitely see what you mean by the Deo+Rai thing murdering me. I'm glad you noticed because it would really suck to deal with it right now. I had already changed Shadow Ball back to Focus Blast on Gengar and will soon be updating the thread when I get off of mobile. I will be replacing Yveltal with either if the Arceus forms that Lord Outrage and PoMMan suggested (yay for more testing!). Scarf Xerneas will also be tested alongside both forms, to see if it works better or not. Honestly, I probably already will replace it cuz Darkrai is mean to me and I like Scarf Xern, but I just want to make sure. I'll let you guys know in an edit soon! :toast:

Yeah, Scarf Xerneas was a good call. I think the best part of using it is because I get a kick out of it when the thing that want to use to check it dies because it got outsped.

EDIT: As for the Arceus form, I went with water because rock sometimes wasn't able to check certain builds of Salamence because of either it having Refresh, EQ or something like that. Water seems more reliable to me to check Sally and Ho-Oh immediately.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)