Sorting Through the Creative Moveset Thread

hmm, well, the problem with subpunching sceptile is that the subseeding set can take fat amounts of hp from blissey and potentially heal up another member. while it can't do much to blissey, niether can the subpunching one. if you focus punch the blissey switch-in, they're probably scared stiff of focus punch at that point and will just seismic toss you until they're back upto full health. if you sub on the switch to blissey, it breaks your sub as you focus punch it, and then your surprise is ruined. for those reasons, the subpunching sceptile was deemed unviable, as the other things that focus punch would hit i.e. tyranitar and weavile get hit harder by things like grass knot and hp fire, which have other uses as well. if you can convince me of its merits, though, I'll add it.

edit: I convinced myself to add it, as you can still beat blissey if you have telepathic prediction.

hmm, well, the problem with subpunching sceptile is that the subseeding set can take fat amounts of hp from blissey and potentially heal up another member. while it can't do much to blissey, niether can the subpunching one. if you focus punch the blissey switch-in, they're probably scared stiff of focus punch at that point and will just seismic toss you until they're back upto full health. if you sub on the switch to blissey, it breaks your sub as you focus punch it, and then your surprise is ruined. for those reasons, the subpunching sceptile was deemed unviable, as the other things that focus punch would hit i.e. tyranitar and weavile get hit harder by things like grass knot and hp fire, which have other uses as well. if you can convince me of its merits, though, I'll add it.
That is a very valid point too, thought my set can be used so you can use HP Ice due to HP Fire being more favorable on the Sub Seed set. Ice takes out counters to Sceptile that may want to switch in on grass moves like Salamence, you have a reliable way to kill Blissey (Choice Specs Leaf Storm and Focus Blast are ~38%...) and Snorlax. Besides, if one looks on an analysis set such as Typhlosion, Focus Punch is up there too, and it kills Blissey in a similar way.

I mean even if my set isn't added, it'll still be my surprise to those who haven't read it yet :naughty:

Sceptile @ Leftovers
Nature: Hasty
Evs: EVs: 104 Atk / 252 Spe / 154 SAtk
- Substitute / Leech Seed
- Focus Punch
- Leaf Storm
- HP Ice / HP Fire

This sceptile set is tailored to beat blissey one on one. The evs given are to always 2HKO the analysis standard blissey with focus punch, though rarely will you kill blissey in two hits. Here's why. If blissey switches in on substitute, you manage to get in 1 focus punch as she breaks your sub. Now, here's where it gets tricky. At this point, the blissey user will be absolutely petrified of focus punch, so they will probably be afraid to do anything but seismic toss, as to not let you get your hit in, knowing that she can break your subs. So here, you use your hidden power to slowly whittle down blissey's hp. You have to be careful here, though, since you do not want to let blissey recover. The trick is to hit her with focus punch as she tries to softboil, doing a minimum of 56%, so in a best case scenario, she lost about 12% health while you gain 6% that turn. Leech seed can be used over substitute, but if blissey switches in on leech seed, it is advisable to switch out to a pokemon that is immune to thunderwave and could use those fat amounts of hp blissey will give, as blissey will either seismic toss, ruining your focus punch (in hopes of breaking the sub on a subseeder set) or thunderwave, expecting a switch. This set is hard to pull off well, and sceptile often ends up crippled from all the seismic tosses by the time blissey is dead, but the blissey user has to be wary, because if they switch garchomp into hp ice thinking it is hp fire, it could end up costing them a pokemon. An alternate item for this sceptile is expert belt, which means that you can dump all of your attack evs into special attack and get the same results against blissey, or you can keep the same ev spread to do more to the blissey switch, meaning that you don't have to take as many seismic tosses before blissey goes down, though leech seed might be preferred over substitute when using expert belt, as it is your only means of recovery.

Mewtwo - Scarf

Mewtwo @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Rash/Mild
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 Speed / 252 SpAtk
- Me First
- Selfdestruct
- Grass Knot
- Aura Sphere / Fire Blast

This set packs a helluva surprise and has the potential to take out several Ubers before going down.
Many ubers are vulnerable to this mewtwo. For instance, you can come in on Rayquaza after its first dragon dance. Now it should use something like Outrage. You Me-First (EVs give it enough speed to even outpace Jolly Rayquazas) and take that Dragon out. Though it is safer to sacrifice something, so it is locked into an Outrage. Groudon and Kyogre fall to this mewtwo set, even the notorious ScarfOgre. You can easily outspeed and OHKO the 252/0 HP/SpDef Groudons, the bulkiest that exist in Ubers. Kyogre's meet an easy 2HKO and with Water-spout underpowered from Grass Knot it won't be doing too much back to you. This mewtwo easily outspeeds and KO's all deoxys-fr spreads, even with NVE aura sphere if you expect a switch to something else. Selfdestruct will OHKO even 252 HP/Def Blisseys and 252 HP/Def Latias all the time. Not that they'd ever run such sets, but it would KO them if they did. Dialga and Darkrai are met with a swift Aura-Sphere to the face. Though this means you can't touch Metagross. Aura Sphere also slaps Dialga around hard, 2HKO.Metagross and Foretress (and shedinja, of course) are all OHKO'd by Fire Blast under Sun as well as in neutral weather. Rainy conditions, unfortunately make this a 2HKO. Palkia is a tad tough, but nder sunny conditions you could fool it into using it's STAB Dragon moves, which you then steal with Me-First, getting Pseudo-STAB and hitting for SE damage.

Staraptor - Physical Bulk

Staraptor @ Leftovers
Nature: Jolly
Evs: 228 hp, 240 Def, 40 Spe
- Featherdance
- Roost
- U-turn
- Brave Bird / Aerial Ace / Close Combat

This Staraptor set revolves around the use of the combination of intimidate and featherdance coupled with a pretty fast roost to neuter physical threats. He can come in on many physical threats with intimidate, putting the opponent at -1 attack. This in itself forces switches. But what makes the set is featherdance. Using this lowers the opponent's attack by another 2 stages, basically neutering physical threats. Now, featherdance forces a lot of switches, which can be taken advantage of with roost, to recover any health lost in the process, or with u-turn, for the invaluable purpose of scouting. The last move is for STAB, and to destroy those fighting type pokemon that might kill you with supereffective attacks after you roost. Close combat is an option if you fear things like tyranitar, though the defense drop does significantly decrease your bulk, so keep that in mind. You'll get the most mileage out of bulky staraptor with a spinner, as it is meant to switch in a lot, and 25% just for coming in isn't very appealing.

A big part of the set is utilizing roost to make those deadly rock and electric attacks go from super effective to neutral. Knowing when to roost at the right time recovers a lot of health and often will save staraptor from death by supereffective attacks. Roosting often turn certain attacks, like stone edges from gyarados and tyranitar, is vital to the survival of the bird. The evs give staraptor 270 speed, enough to outspeed all base 85 speed pokemon with 252 evs and a neutral, like adamant heracross, for example. The hp and defense evs give staraptor a defense tier of 123.56 with intimidate factored in, which is higher than skarmory's. A more in depth discussion of this set, complete with damage calculations and the opinions of the community, can be found here.

alright then. also, if you guys see grammatical errors/want to add anything, please, say so. and if the person who posted the set provided enough explanation by themselves, I'm gonna be a lazy fuck and use what they said, because chances are they've tested it more than me anyways. obviously I'm going to read and reword the descriptions too. oh and of course these little "notes" above the sprites of the pokemon are all gonna be gone. this honchkrow was made by choutoshio, and he provided excellent explanations. if only all of the posts in "post creative movesets" were this detailed and comprehensive.

Honchkrow @ Focus Sash
Nature: Naive
Trait: Insomnia
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 6spd
-Sucker Punch
-HP Grass / HP Fire / HP Electric
-Drill Peck
-Whirlwind/Pursuit

This honchkrow is meant to be an anti-lead, and it has some good things going for it, like insomnia, usable offensive stats on both sides of the spectrum, and a pursuit resistance. Its movepools is also perfect for causing trouble for the common leads. Here are some examples.

Gengar-- Can't hypnosis, and is in big trouble against an opponent who can 1hko it with sucker punch, or kill it with pursuit if it runs.
Starmie-- Is in the same position as gengar
Breeloom-- Gets 1hko'd with drill peck, doesn't know whether or not it's faster (and even if it is has its own sash and stays in, will get killed by sucker punch even after surviving the initial drill peck), and can't put it to sleep.
Yanmega-- Can't put it to sleep, and will get 1hko'd by drill peck
Ninjask-- Can get ko'd by drill peck, or be whirlwinded away
Heracross-- Yeah, there's no way it can win
Tangrowth-- Has to rely on paralyse haxing, but probably loses, especially against hp fire
Swellow-- If you pick whirlwind, just blow it out as it protects. Otherwise, honchkrow can drill peck, survive with focus sash, and then spam sucker punch.
Outside of these, there are still others that Honchkrow can defeat, but only with proper hidden power, and possible need of prediction.
Salamence and Garchomp will either be killed by HP Ice, and even if they live, can't beat sucker punch. Swampert really hates HP Grass, while HP Fire can cause huge damage to steel leads and HP Electric gives some potential for dealing with gyara (though personally, I think that with intimidate, leftovers, and dragon dance thrown in the mix, it comes down to a matter of prediction between hidden powering twice or using sucker punch the second time.

With this ev spread, you can dish out a lot of damage from your attack stat that rivals heracross and your special attack stat that still breaks 300. With those paper-thin defenses, he's not going to survive much anyways, so you really have to put your faith in focus sash, as he's not breaking any speed record either.
In any case, this poke does need support from weather changers and rapid spinners because of its heavy dependance on focus sash . . . but you'd be suriprised at some of the ridiculous stuff it can pull off.
Well, there are some issue pokes here:
-Ambipom (ruined by fake out)
-Tyranitar
-Hippodon
-And of course, depending on the Hidden Power you picked, the others not covered could be potential problems.
Also, STAB sucker punch coming off of 383 attack is nothing to be scoffed at, and this kill stuff like machamp if he can get in.
In here you say Garchomp and Salamence will be killed by HP Ice, but HP Ice is not listed as an option on the set. Just wondering what that was about.

Keep in mind that I have zero ubers experience, so I'm going by the description added by the user with this one. If someone with uberse experience would like to help write descriptions for / deem unviable some of the other ubers sets, that'd be great, because as I said, I have zero ubers experience.

Mewtwo @ Choice Scarf
- Me First
- Selfdestruct
- Grass Knot
- Aura Sphere / Fire Blast

This set packs a helluva surprise and has the potential to take out several Ubers before going down.
Many ubers are vulnerable to this mewtwo. For instance, you can come in on Rayquaza after its first dragon dance. Now it should use something like Outrage. You Me-First (EVs give it enough speed to even outpace Jolly Rayquazas) and take that Dragon out. Though it is safer to sacrifice something, so it is locked into an Outrage. Groudon and Kyogre fall to this mewtwo set, even the notorious ScarfOgre. You can easily outspeed and OHKO the 252/0 HP/SpDef Groudons, the bulkiest that exist in Ubers. Kyogre's meet an easy 2HKO and with Water-spout underpowered from Grass Knot it won't be doing too much back to you. This mewtwo easily outspeeds and KO's all deoxys-fr spreads, even with NVE aura sphere if you expect a switch to something else. Selfdestruct will OHKO even 252 HP/Def Blisseys and 252 HP/Def Latias all the time. Not that they'd ever run such sets, but it would KO them if they did. Dialga and Darkrai are met with a swift Aura-Sphere to the face. Though this means you can't touch Metagross. Aura Sphere also slaps Dialga around hard, 2HKO.Metagross and Foretress (and shedinja, of course) are all OHKO'd by Fire Blast under Sun as well as in neutral weather. Rainy conditions, unfortunately make this a 2HKO. Palkia is a tad tough, but nder sunny conditions you could fool it into using it's STAB Dragon moves, which you then steal with Me-First, getting Pseudo-STAB and hitting for SE damage.
just my two cent, this set is really slow i would suggest more speed evs and possibly a +speed nature to really abuse me first.
Scarfogre has a safe ONKO on this mewtwo.
Also this set is walled all the day by blissey and latias instead of using selfdestruct i think a better option would be a physical attack for blissey and for latias me first abuse since latias is weak to her common attack she carries.
Also i'm pretty sure every rayquaza it will face will just switch out fearing an ice beam.

Edit: lol i totally missed the scarf >.>

just my two cent, this set is really slow i would suggest more speed evs and possibly a +speed nature to really abuse me first.
Scarfogre has a safe ONKO on this mewtwo.
Also this set is walled all the day by blissey and latias instead of using selfdestruct i think a better option would be a physical attack for blissey and for latias me first abuse since latias is weak to her common attack she carries.
Also i'm pretty sure every rayquaza it will face will just switch out fearing an ice beam.
You seem to have missed the choice scarf that Mewtwo is holding. With a choice scarf and 88 speed EVs, Mewtwo is going to be outspeeding even max speed Kyogres holding choice scarfs.

The only concern I have with this set is with choice scarf Palkias, as I don't know the speeds they typically run at.

EDIT: Actually, once this Mewtwo gets low on health, enemies are going to be using Extremespeed on it, nullifying it speed bonus and Me First gimmick.

every scarf palkia i have ever used has always been at 328 speed. it outspeeds all quazas after 1 DD and cannot be slower than any other non scarf pokemon

Alright, when I wrote that up in the Creative Movesets Thread, ScarfPalkia didn't really exist so I guess you could run 132 Speed EVs, beating out Max Speed Scarf Palkia. As for 'Latias and Blissey wall you all day', this set is primarily to be used a revenge-killer.

Rayquaza won't be able to switch out if it's locked into an Outrage and even if it isn't ScarfMewtwo, itself is pretty rare (most are Specs'd, I reckon).

But frankly, that set was just designed to play around with Me First and was never intended to be too competitively viable. A 'real' Choice Scarf Mewtwo is already mentioned in the Analysis under the Choice Specs set.

However if we're dealing with a Mixed Scarf Mewtwo, here's the best I can come up with:

---

Mewtwo @ Choice Scarf
- Focus Punch / Selfdestruct
- Ice Punch
- Grass Knot / Aura Sphere
- Fire Blast / Thunder
---

Ice Punch does 44-51% damage to (176 HP / 0 Def) neutral-natured Latias. With Stealth Rock, that's a possible 2HKO. As a revenge-killer it can hit through any CMs Latias may've built up. Ice Punch is also an OHKO (86-100%) against (0 HP / 0 Def) neutral-natured Rayquaza.

Focus Punch does 83-98% damage to (0 Hp / 252 Def) neutral-natured Blissey. Almost a guaranteed OHKO with Stealth Rock or residual damage. However, Blissey must switch into it or be using a non-attacking, healing move like Softboiled or Wish. Protect or Thunder Wave can screw you up, the prior allowing Blissey to just mash Seismic Tosses against you and the latter crippling Mewtwo's usefullness.

As for the Special Attacking options, Grass/Fire is a potent attacking combination capable of handling Kyogre, Groudon and Tyranitar (2HKO), while Fire Blast hits Scizor, Metagross, Jirachi (2HKO) and Celebi (2HKO). Though with the power of the Sun, all those hit by Fire Blast will be OHKO'd.

Aura Sphere is an option to hit Dialga (2HKO on BU Sets, but OHKO on most others) and Tyranitar (OHKO), but should be used alongside Thunder so you can still dent Kyogre and Palkia. Thunder does decent damage to Steel Types as well. Though Fire Blast VS Thunder is really decided on what sort of weather support Mewtwo has on its Team.

EDIT: However this is mostly Theorymon. I'll try to try out this set and might eventually post a Peer Edit if it works out well.

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Honchkrow @ Focus Sash
Nature: Naive
Trait: Insomnia
Evs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 6spd
-Sucker Punch
-HP Grass / HP Fire / HP Electric
-Drill Peck
-Whirlwind/Pursuit
just wanted to say i've also been using this set on wifi and Taunt works really well in place of whirlwhind/pursuit. Prevents foes from setting up stealth rock or other support moves.

Kecleon @Leftovers
Ability: Color Change
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/176 Atk/80 Def
- Sucker Punch
- Snatch
- Magic Coat
- Focus Punch

if you're up against sr, just snatch it away.
According to Smogon's page on Snatch, it doesn't take away Stealth Rock. I've never used it, so I can't confirm.

Kecleon @Leftovers
- Sucker Punch
- Snatch
- Magic Coat
- Focus Punch

Anti-lead Kecleon. The idea is simple. If you're up against a sleep lead, magic coat the hypnosis/spore back at them. if you're up against sr, just snatch it away. Same thing with substitute. If you think your opponent is gonna switch, focus punch. If they're gonna attack, sucker punch. Basically this thing has something it can do in every situation. Those leads that try to sub up and then boost get their attempts snatched away. If they try to sr, they get that snatched away. Status gets bounced back at stuff, and attacks get struck first. With Kecleon's hefty base 120 special defense, and 252 hp evs, he can take special hits pretty well and physical hits moderately well. Basically, he messes up the opponent with the moveset built for any situation, a great way to get the flow of the match in your favor from the beginning. Speed doesn't matter on this set because every move has a priority modifier. Other than that, it's a pretty self-explanatory set that is worth a try.
I have been using this on shoddy recently and it appears snatch doesn't affect subs... I accidentally let someone get a brutal set up on me by making that mistake. It's also unreliable since it relies on prediction, but it's also incredibly potent. I had both success and failure with it. Then again I'm a pretty bad player so my opinion on this doesn't mean all that much.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have been using this on shoddy recently and it appears snatch doesn't affect subs... I accidentally let someone get a brutal set up on me by making that mistake. It's also unreliable since it relies on prediction, but it's also incredibly potent. I had both success and failure with it. Then again I'm a pretty bad player so my opinion on this doesn't mean all that much.
http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/snatch

It should work (or atleast the Dex says it does); it might be a glitch on Shoddy. You don't have the log by chance do you?

Turns out I'm a moron, I was using it wrong. I didn't realise it had to be used on the same turn, I thought it was like some ultra haze ability :P

Anyway that set can work wonders. I somehow managed to Snatch 3 SDs and a sub from an enemy ninjask and subpunch his whole team without him realising. 6-0 sweep with a kecleon is nothing to be sniffed at.

hmm, I could've sworn that snatch took away stealth rock. it did when I tried it, I think. well, I guess not, but whatever. well, as EvilMario pointed out to me via pm, the attack evs on the guy are better placed in sp.def, as he doesn't even KO gengar with suckerpunch, so yea. still a great support pokemon.

as far as mewtwo, nobody I knew too well has very much uber experience, and train man provided a good explanation that convinced me and everyone else who saw it, so I decided to add it. if a peer edit gets done on the revised one, it will not be added, and the current one will remain. however, like I decided with most pokemon that have cb or specs sets, scarf isn't enough of a change to warrant a set unless it's mixed or something. so stuff like gallade and tinted lens yanmega was omitted from the viable list. but scarftwo plays around with me first and whatnot, and...

ahh, screw it, I need someone with ubers experience to help me out with some of these sets *looks at train man*

also, sorry for the lack of progress, I don't get the internet for extended periods of time these days, so yea.

Linoone - Trick

Linoone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Any (It doesn't matter)
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Nature: Adamant / Jolly (Adamant would be the best one)
- Switcheroo
- Belly Drum
- Extremespeed
- Shadow Claw / Rock Smash / Dig

This is a spin-off of the belly drum set, but with trick and a choice scarf. The idea is to get in on a wall while they use a support move and trick the scarf onto them. At this point, you belly drum while they switch and attempt a sweep. It can force a switch itself unlike regular belly drum linoone. But there are drawbacks. With adamant and rock smash, you 2HKO the rock/steel walls that will inevitably come in to take extremespeed and OHKO them with dig, but with jolly and shadow claw you outspeed and kill rotom. The problem is, without salac berry and the extra moveslot, you can't do both at the same time, so pick your poison. There is a reason teams consist of 6 pokemon. This set doesn't function too well in OU, as the ghosts are faster and the steels don't have terrible 4x weaks to fighting and ground, so you can't do much to his OU counters, but you're crazy to try any Linoone in OU, not just this one. But in UU, even after you get forced out, the ability to trick and cripple enemy pokemon is invaluable. This serves as a good utility pokemon and can start up a sweep more easily than any run-of-the-mill sweeper linoone.

Kecleon @Leftovers
- Sucker Punch
- Snatch
- Magic Coat
- Focus Punch

Anti-lead Kecleon. The idea is simple. If you're up against a sleep lead, magic coat the hypnosis/spore back at them. if you're up against sr, just snatch it away. Same thing with substitute. If you think your opponent is gonna switch, focus punch. If they're gonna attack, sucker punch. Basically this thing has something it can do in every situation. Those leads that try to sub up and then boost get their attempts snatched away. If they try to sr, they get that snatched away. Status gets bounced back at stuff, and attacks get struck first. With Kecleon's hefty base 120 special defense, and 252 hp evs, he can take special hits pretty well and physical hits moderately well. Basically, he messes up the opponent with the moveset built for any situation, a great way to get the flow of the match in your favor from the beginning. Speed doesn't matter on this set because every move has a priority modifier. Other than that, it's a pretty self-explanatory set that is worth a try.
Used this on Shoddy.
It works pretty well. :D

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
hmm, I could've sworn that snatch took away stealth rock. it did when I tried it, I think. well, I guess not, but whatever. well, as EvilMario pointed out to me via pm, the attack evs on the guy are better placed in sp.def, as he doesn't even KO gengar with suckerpunch, so yea. still a great support pokemon.
The Attack EVs need to be there, because without them, Focus Punch/Sucker Punch aren't going to be hurting anything. The whole point of the set is to punish the opponent for predicting wrong, and with 0 Attack EVs, it's just Kecleon giving the opponent a spanking, but with the 176 Attack EVs, it can at least go up the belt-whipping level.

Anyway, that set has been put into a peer edit already. Heh I'm glad the set I posted months and months ago doesn't totally suck in today's metagame. :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)