Snowed in: UU Hail stall [Peaked 84th]

Hi! Dark Pulse here, back with his "gimmicky" Hail stall team. In gen 4, I used a very simmilar team in OU with very little success, but I had a heap of fun with it annoying even the best players with a slow and painful win. In fact, most of my wins happened to be Rage Quits...

Now I'm back in UU with a modified version of the team, and boy is it working out for me, top 200 on the first day of playing it, and since then my lowest rank has been 150th with the team...

Anyway, I decided to come on to the RMT's to 1 show off the team to anyone else that's wanting to learn Hail Stall, and 2 to try and tweak it and perhaps make it better...

anyway, this is the team:

My team at a Glance

Poke-Graveyard
Tentacruel - For being OU​
Cloyster - Same Reason
Roserade - Scolipede can layer both Spikes
Kyurem - too Slow and Outlawed by stalling

The Team
Azelf @ Focus Sash
Jolly
Levitate
4 HP 252 Atk 252 Spd
-Taunt
-Stealth Rock
-U-turn
-Explosion​

yeah, Explosion got Nerfed... but U-turn leaves Azelf the option to flee on a bulky foe and Explode for a revenge kill...
Azelfs Blistering speed allows for an almost 100% chance of getting rocks up, and either taunt or slightly damage the opponent (also good for taking out psychic types that for some reason can hamper my team)​

-------------------------
Scolipede @ Black Sludge/Focus Sash
Jolly
Poison Point
4 HP 252 Atk 252 Spd (or swapping attack and HP)
-Spikes
-Toxic Spikes
-Earthquake
-Megahorn​

Not the Exact EV spread, I believe I tweaked it to allow maximum recovery with the Sludge...
I forget which I used, but Sludge allows for a bit of survivability to ad spikes a little later, but I always use this guy to set up T-spikes, and remove the opponent's... T-spikes are important for my Team, and Poison point also allows for a really nice poison chance on the Opponent...
This guy is my only check for Steel types...​

Yes, I know the old B-sludge Vs Leftovers debate, but Using this (and changing to Scarfed Aboma as suggested below) harms trick-users, and trick doesn't bypass substitue, so I know what I'm doing...

..also, in that case, I might as well remove Toxic orb from Sigilyph... but Trick is rarely used anyway

--------------------------
Sigilyph @ Toxic Orb
Timid
Magic Guard
252 HP 52 defence? 200 Spd
-Cosmic Power
-Roost
-Whirlwind
-Stored Power​

Yes, I'm using Toxic Orb, not Flame Orb, YES, I'm using Whirlwind, not psycho Shift... But you know what? I find it better... Rather than burning their Dark types and switching, allowing for a free setup, I whirlwind them away, bringing in a new poke, accumulating the Entry hazard damage, and allowing for more stalling...
...also allows me to laugh at Set-up sweepers/supporters as they switch out, adding a real surprise factor for the 1st use​

Everyone knows how this set goes, Cosmic power to +6, then sweep. No Residual Damage, Bulky as shiznick... one Problem... Crits... This guy has gotten the really nasty effect of drawing critical hits that OHKO it rather than 100HKO it, Thanks to crits ignoring cosmic power's boosts... :(​

Froslass @ Leftovers
Timid
Snow Cloak
248 HP 228 Def 32 Spd
(once again, not exact EV spread
-Substitute
-Confuse Ray
-Attract
-Blizzard​

...I just read that this sexy beast can use T-wave, maybe I forgot before, maybe I chose not to use it before...
EDIT: lol, I remember, I chose not to because of T-spikes...
...Regardless, Froslass is a sexy beast, She can Confuse people with her Attracting gaze (cwutididthar?) - Sub up for even more HAX, and generally stop opponents in their tracks... Confuse ray + Attract + Snow cloak means the opponent only has a 20% chance to do anything, and thanks to substitute, they need to do that twice in a row to take her out, that's only a 4% chance...
Snow cloak is a real lifesaver, allowing me to rofl at the opponents useless attempts to kill me...
Come in on a fighting or normal type attack, Confuse ray, Attract, Substitute, GG...​

Abomasnow @ Leftovers
Sassy/Careful/Jolly Nature (not sure which one) [careful is -ATK, right?]
Snow Warning
252 HP Balanced Defences
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Protect
-Blizzard​

Subseed Abomasnow, really in desperate need of a Revamp... I barely use him on my team, nothing but setting up hail, and pHaze/support with leech seeding to an ally... Protect to scout, SubSeed to stall, and Blizzard for the not-so-needed STAB and freeze chance...
...Not much else to say, except that he is the only thing keeping my team working, so he NEEDS to survive...​

Walrein @ Leftovers
Bold
Ice Body
220 HP 232 Def 56 Spd
-Substitute
-Protect
-Roar
-Surf​

ah, Stallrein, The thing that turns this team from balanced to Stall, has turned 6-0's into 0-1 wins. With T-spikes up, there's nothing this beast of a Pokemon can do...
Roar to pHaze and get more pokes with T-spikes, also to remove any attempts to setup, Surf for some kind of damage when the opponent's Last poke continually uses Toxic or Rest to try and outstall me.
This thing is so Bulky, it can take a non-STAB SE attack, and STILL set a substitute up. When this guy comes in on a physically-inclined poke, it's 32 turns of hell for them...​

So that's my Team!!! Here's a couple of things that I've been considering...​

Mamoswine - Lead Mamo may be able to outclass Azelf, I saw it on another persons team, and it managed to get rocks up and still prevent my Az from Exploding (or U-turning for that matter)​

A Spinner - Stealth rocks are a pain in the ass, and all my Stallers are weak to them (besides Sigilyph thx to Magic Guard), so a spinner may really come in handy​

A new Abomasnow Set - Abomasnow is outdated, so I need a new set for him... Dunno what though, but Leech seed still helps...​

For Abomasnow why dont you try a scarf set? It may be able to take out 1 or 2 of your opponent's Pokemon. I dont know much about Hail but the moveset could be Wood Hammer/Ice Punch/Earthquake/Rock Slide or for a special set you could try Giga Drain/Blizzard/Focus Blast/Shadow Ball?

For a spinner, try out Hitmontop or Donphan. They are great spinners and Donphan can even set up rocks while Hitmontop can use Intimidate to become a tank.

I was thinking that, but if the opponent has T-spikes or triple-spikes, it's going to be hard to spin...

I prefer using Levitating or poison-type spinners, and that's why I used Claydol in my sunny Day team (SR resist + immunity to spikes) and Tentacruel in my old Gen 4 one

but Claydol doesn't fit all too well to my team, so I dunno...

What do you do when they Taunt Froslass?
Black Sludge is bad, use Leftovers so they don't Trick the Sludge onto something else.

-.-'

I switch lol
Taunt is almost never used in UU, and as mentioned above, I don't want to use Lefties... Lrn2Rd

EDIT: that's weird... I coulda sworn I put in that I prefer B-sludge over lefties... oh well! Regardless, I use it because it hurts trickers, and I'm not going to let a trick user Trick the sludge onto an ally, I have protect, substitute, and switching to stop that

also Trick is very uncommon in UU, I haven't faced a single person that has tricked Scolipede (Scolipede isn't in for long anyway)

...yeah, and now you need to read the above post again, 'cause I got an edit...

Just saying things like "Oh, What happens if I taunt so-and-so" or "don't do this" isn't helping...

If you are going to help, please give constructive critisism

ive been using abomasnow as a bulky anti_lead in OU, been letting them set up something, seed them and just protect, moveset is leech seed/protect/blizzard/wood hammer, blizzard/ wood hammer get pretty good coverage on the things that dont mind leech seed, and you can always set up rocks after you let aboma die, or switch out into a resisted attack(i personally dont use sneaky pebbles, but whatev) and spin after you get rid of any blockers

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello! I have a bit of experience with Hail teams myself. My chief complaint would be that Walrein and Froslass do "essentially" the same thing. Sure, they go about it different ways: Froslass aims to prevent any hits from being taken while Stallrein focuses on recovering all of those hits. My preference would be to see Walrein go in preference to a Rapid Spinner or something of that ilk. Mamoswine is actually a pretty cool idea because he takes any Electric-type attacks that would have once hit Walrein and Sigliyph for SE damage. Just a thought.

I honestly love the set you're using for Abomasnow. On my hail team, it can take away almost 50% on a Scizor before it has to switch out, and that's saying something. If you're really not feeling the mood, perhaps try a Mixed Attacker? With Blizzard, Wood Hammer, and HP What Have Yee, you could do some impressive damage with both of Abomasnow's alright offenses.

Hope the suggestions help! I'd try to get a Rapid Spinner since four of your current Pokemon are weak to Stealth Rock. Eek!

Ya... as said above you need a spinner. You also seem pretty fire weak too so a nthick fat mamoswine would really provide some nice resistances to electric and fire. I might suggest hitmontop as a spinner because it provides a much needed rock resistance.

I tried both toxic orb and whirlwind on my sigilyph at one time another and thers nothing more annoying when you get up to plus 6 and something comes that you cant toxic or hit with stored power. Thats what burn is there for; so you can inflict residual damage to things you cant hit with stored power; i know you use whirlwind for that but what if its the last pokemon... But, if you are adamant about whirlwind then the orb doesnt matter and is kinda outclassed by leftovers....

I agree with you Cloud, but when I have T-spikes up, there just isn't too many times I get the chance to use Psycho shift due to most pokes being Poisoned... Besides, when it comes down to that, I switch to something that can hit the opponent. that's why I'm considering Mamo, 'cause it can hit on the physical side... (I noticed I haz no physical attackers)

(@yourself) yeah, I need a spinner, yeah, I need Froslass as a spinblocker, but Walrein is such a neccesity to my team...
...Is there any spinner in UU that can set up T-spikes? (like tenta in OU)
EDIT: did my research, and turns out there isn't one :( the only pokes that can both spin and lay T-spikes are Forry, Tenta and Cloyster... all of which are OU.

@burnybluebear - I can see how that would work, but I can't let abomasnow Die due to the large number of Vulpix and Hippowdon's that run around the place (not to mention people using rain dance) - and I can't let people set up... I'm SR weak, and only have 1 levitating pokemon (sigilyph, going to use Lead Mamo now) - so thanks, but I don't think that set would do too much for my team...

@Yourself - I didn't think of that... but I have been having some problems with Zapdos, needing to Sub up on LO 'dos while it roosts [w/stallrein] and get HAXy with Froslass on the Lefties sets (once again hard to do)
...regardless, Lead Mamo could not only absorb the attacks, but hit back with Icicle crash/ice shard...
also, thick fat Mamo is neutral to Fire, not resistant (whoever said that) - as ground doesn't compensate for ice...

My team is just too full of stuff that I need, that I can't fit other things I need in...
...I think I'm going to make an OU variant of this team... but how it will survive, I don't know... :(

I'm going to Either add:
Lead/CB Mamo in replacement for Azelf
Claydol/Hitmontop over Azelf, and make Scolipede my lead (perhaps w/ sash, not sludge)

My best suggestion to tou is to run an offensive Mamoswine and not a lead since you may be competing against other weather inducers and Mamoswine has Thick Fat for Sun and Icicle Crash STAB does good damage against Hippopotas.

For Sigilyph, why bother running Toxic Orb if you don't carry Psycho Shift? Try Leftovers since Toxic Orb doesn't do anything except protect from status.

^
while I agree completely with Mamoswine, and have since added a CBswine to my team (although I don't like CB, so I may swap to LO) - Toxic orb is there TO block status... If someone Sleeps, Freezes or Para's me, Sigilyph is ruined. I need the Toxic or so I can block status effects that will cripple Sigilyph while I Cosmic Power. I have Roost for Recovery...
But it is a good Idea, but it means I need to hope my opponent either carries toxic AND I can switch into it, or doesn't run T-bolt, T-wave, Ice Beam, Spore or anything of the sorts...
...which a lot of people do...

i say grab a fire/water/ground/steel type poke (as long as its not tentacruel). it adds a massive surprise to youre opponent when they see something like tangrowth on the opponents team (yes dp, im stuck on tanny). any way, lots of people hate stall, true? at least when they are facing it. grab something like rotom-m or h, and give it the usual choice scarf set. works like a microwave charm =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)