Smogon Premier League XV - Semifinals [Tiebreaker @ Post 63]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theia

Say hello to the robots
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
User Safety Lead

>Spreadsheet<
>Games Schedule<
>Season Schedule<

Tournament Rules and General Guidelines

Matchups:

Circus Maximus Tigers (6) vs (6) Indie Scooters

SV OU: JJ09LIE vs Xrn
SV OU: Trosko vs Kushalos
SV OU: Storm Zone vs hellom
SV OU: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs Akalli
SS OU: Garay oak vs Hayburner
SM OU: c0mp vs Welli0u
ORAS OU: London Beats vs Niko
BW OU: sensei axew vs elodin
DPP OU: Le Don vs Sergio Aguero
ADV OU: M Dragon vs SEA
GSC OU: RealJester vs vani
RBY OU: Green on fire vs Gefährlicher Random

Dragonspiral Tyrants (6) vs (6) Alpha Ruiners

SV OU: Luispeikou vs xavgb
SV OU: Poek vs Fc
SV OU: Mada vs Raptor
SV OU: myjava vs oldspicemike
SS OU: damien the genius vs Jytcampbell
SM OU: DonSalvatore vs Charmflash
ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs pj
BW OU: SoulWind vs Fakes
DPP OU: Dridri457 vs Malekith
ADV OU: pkThunderbolt vs baddummy
GSC OU: Rubyblood vs Siatam
RBY OU: Heroic Troller vs Khaetis

Deadline will be March 24, 11:00 PM GMT-4.

Circus Maximus Tigers (0) vs (0) Indie Scooters

Dragonspiral Tyrants (0) vs (0) Alpha Ruiners

SM OU: DonSalvatore vs Charmflash
ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs pj
BW OU: SoulWind vs Fakes

Tiebreaker

vs

Circus Maximus Tigers (2) vs (1) Indie Scooters
SV OU: Trosko vs hellom
DPP OU: Le Don vs elodin
RBY OU: M Dragon vs Gefährlicher Random

vs

Dragonspiral Tyrants (2) vs (1) Alpha Ruiners
SV OU: myjava vs xavgb
DPP OU: SoulWind vs Fakes
RBY OU: Heroic Troller vs Charmflash

The deadline is Sunday, March 31st at 11:00 PM GMT -4.

Circus Maximus Tigers (7) vs (5) Indie Scooters

Circus Maximus Tigers (5) vs (7) Indie Scooters

SV OU: JJ09LIE vs Xrn jj has been incredible this spl season and I expect them to pull of another W
SV OU: Trosko vs Kushalos This might have been the worst Kush run ever but I think they will pull of a win for the team in the semis
SV OU: Storm Zone vs hellom Relic stone for the W
SV OU: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs Akalli Lessgoo Akalli
SS OU: Garay oak vs Hayburner Very excited to see Garay playing ss.
SM OU: c0mp vs Welli0u After trying their hand in oras and losing a few matches c0mp was finally able to pull of some wins. It seems like sm is their gen but I wouldn't bold then against the goat Welli0u
ORAS OU: London Beats vs Niko Lessgo Nikoatt
BW OU: sensei axew vs elodin top 5 bw
DPP OU: Le Don vs Sergio Aguero Should be a ez Le don W
ADV OU: M Dragon vs SEA my goattt let's get it
GSC OU: RealJester vs vani Vani has been playing insane this spl season.
RBY OU: Green on fire vs Gefährlicher Random Let's go Felixxx

Dragonspiral Tyrants (5) vs (7) Alpha Ruiners

SV OU: Mada vs Raptor ur teams are great Raptor (pass me a few plz,ty)
SS OU: damien the genius vs Jytcampbell I have liked all the teams that Damien has brought this spl season except for the stall ( I hate stall).
SM OU: DonSalvatore vs Charmflash Don has been on a roll and I expect to see a great performance this week as well.
ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs pj pj I love u
BW OU: SoulWind vs Fakes Bring Lapras Fakes
GSC OU: Rubyblood vs Siatam Ruby play sv bruhhh
RBY OU: Heroic Troller vs Khaetis Best rby

Ty for reading and good luck to all the players

in the spirit of playoffs, 2 highlights per series:
SV OU: Storm Zone vs hellom - hellom has been the best SV player this spl by a sizeable margin. Storm to me has been top consistent 5 SV since day 1. The upswing for him has been really inspiring too to fix up from a bit of an early season stumble. I think if anyone can build some crack to break the 9 win streak it's Storm, but to underrate hellom would be crazy. Good team choices and good execution. Best sv game of semis imo
SS OU: Garay oak vs Hayburner - Garay has imo been bouncing back from a weak start, albeit a lot of it to luck, but he's been a really strong player across a number of SPL tiers now. Hayburner is a little bit of the opposite where he started off really hot and burned off a bit. Both players aren't true mainers to SS yet have a similar style so I think the matchup is interesting for that reason.

SM OU: DonSalvatore vs Charmflash - Charm has been the surprise of SM to me this tour. I dont know where a lot of his wins come from but he gets it done in versatile ways so I have to commend that. Don the Masters master I believe has shown 1 sm game this spl and it was one to be impressed by. To me the maychup boils down to Charms SM discipline vs great intergenerational
BW OU: SoulWind vs Fakes - Soulwind has come a bit down to earth after a next level start this season. Definitely proved he was the best Bw this spl, especially when pushing the tier with his fat teams. Fakes gameplay impresses me week in and week out so even if I don't consider him the most definitional BW main, I give him a strong chance to win through good gaming alone.

Last edited:

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Circus Maximus Tigers (0) vs (0) Indie Scooters

I'd say both are pretty even, I was a Xrn doubter at the start, but then he locked in and showed doesn't fuck around, JJ on the other hand has Devin who as far as I know, is a great chef, it could go either way tbh

While I can't stop hoping for a CLUTCHalos pop off, it seems to me that, against trosko's bulky teams, he is gonna need to look into the kitchen for something

HE
llom

The French Revolution[a] was a period of political and societal change in France that began with the Estates General of 1789, and ended with the coup of 18 Brumaire in November 1799 and the formation of the French Consulate. Many of its ideas are considered fundamental principles of liberal democracy,[1] while its values and institutions remain central to modern French political discourse.[2]

Its causes are generally agreed to be a combination of social, political and economic factors, which the Ancien Régime proved unable to manage. A financial crisis and widespread social distress led in May 1789 to the convocation of the Estates General, which was converted into a National Assembly in June. The Storming of the Bastille on 14 July led to a series of radical measures by the Assembly, among them the abolition of feudalism, state control over the Catholic Church in France, and a declaration of rights.

The next three years were dominated by the struggle for political control, exacerbated by economic depression. Military defeats following the outbreak of the French Revolutionary Wars in April 1792 resulted in the insurrection of 10 August 1792. The monarchy was abolished and replaced by the French First Republic in September, while Louis XVI was executed in January 1793.

After another revolt in June 1793, the constitution was suspended and effective political power passed from the National Convention to the Committee of Public Safety. About 16,000 people were executed in a Reign of Terror, which ended in July 1794. Weakened by external threats and internal opposition, the Republic was replaced in 1795 by the Directory. Four years later in 1799, the Consulate seized power in a military coup led by Napoleon Bonaparte. This is generally seen as marking the end of the Revolutionary period.

The Revolution was the result of multiple long-term and short-term factors that culminated in a social, economic, financial and political crisis in the late 1780s.[3][4][5] Combined with resistance to reform by the ruling elite, and indecisive policy by Louis XVI and his ministers, the state was unable to manage the crisis.[6][7]

Between 1715 and 1789, the French population grew from an estimated 21 to 28 million.[8] The proportion of the population living in towns increased to 20%, and Paris alone had over 600,000 inhabitants.[8] Peasants comprised about 80% of the population, but the middle classes tripled over the century, reaching almost 10% of the population by 1789.[9] Although the 18th century was a period of increasing prosperity, the benefits were distributed unevenly across regions and social groups. Those whose income derived from agriculture, rents, interest and trade in goods from France's slave colonies benefited most, while the living standards of wage labourers and farmers on rented land fell.[10][11] Increasing inequality led to more social conflict.[12] Economic recession from 1785 and bad harvests in 1787 and 1788 led to high unemployment and food prices which coincided with a financial and political crisis for the monarchy.[3][13][14][15]

While the state also experienced a debt crisis, the level of debt itself was not high compared with Britain's.[16] A major problem was that tax rates varied widely from one region to another, were often different from the official amounts, and collected inconsistently. Its complexity meant uncertainty over the amount any authorised tax actually contributed, and caused resentment among all taxpayers.[17] Attempts to simplify the system were blocked by the regional Parlements which approved financial policy. The resulting impasse led to the calling of the Estates-General, which became radicalised by the struggle for control of public finances.[19]

Louis XVI was willing to consider reforms, but often backed down when faced with opposition from conservative elements within the nobility. Enlightenment critiques of social institutions were widely discussed among the educated French elite, while the American Revolution and the European revolts of the 1780s inspired public debate on issues such as patriotism, liberty, equality and the participation of the people in making laws. These debates helped shape the response of the educated public to the crisis facing the state.[20] A series of public scandals such as the Diamond Necklace Affair also fuelled popular anger at the court, nobility and church officials.[21]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragonspiral Tyrants (0) vs (0) Alpha Ruiners

While his SPL season has not been nearly as good as his SCL season, xavgb is still one of the most dangerous opponent in the game, for his ability to create cool fresh teams and pilot them greatly

I have 0 idea on how good Poek actually is at SV, but last week he rolled crying which is one of the most creative players in the game. Fc on the other hand will use something more tried and true, I will bold fc just because I know his game more

Okay so, Mike's only lost in the tournament has been vs Myjava, which normally would make most people bold him over mike, but I'm not gonna lie, Mike is him, I don't think he is gonna lost twice vs the same guy, I know I'm simping, but yeah, I'd say this evens the score

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Circus Maximus Tigers (7) vs (5) Indie Scooters

SV OU: JJ09LIE vs Xrn - this guy is a stone cold pro, he really know's what he's doing
SV OU: Trosko vs Kushalos - he may be flopping this year but I still trust Kush as a player and think he can turn it round with a big playoff showing here
SV OU: Storm Zone vs hellom - if anything can beat swordstrike, it is the force of organized chaos that is storm zone
SV OU: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs Akalli - K4l0sC0nfirm3d
SS OU: Garay oak vs Hayburner - garay is a killer.
SM OU: c0mp vs Welli0u - Embrace the darkness
ORAS OU: London Beats vs Niko - Niko has been on a sudden downturn and I've always rated london beats highly
BW OU: sensei axew vs elodin - Form is temporary, class is permanent
DPP OU: Le Don vs Sergio Aguero - What a time to make your debut. If he wins it will be legendary
ADV OU: M Dragon vs SEA - Seeing M drag talk about his games and his mentality has me utterly convinced that he is incapable of losing unless SEA does to him what I did LOL
GSC OU: RealJester vs vani - it physically pains me to make this prediction but yep, Jester is winning
RBY OU: Green on fire vs Gefährlicher Random - It's RBY honestly, both guys are good, no idea

Dragonspiral Tyrants (9)
vs (3) Alpha Ruiners

SV OU: Luispeikou vs xavgb - Xav is going to have his typical cracked nonsense builds, Ting Lu Ceruledge HO or some shit. This time it will win
SV OU: Poek vs Fc - Poek still that guy, playoffs is the best time to turn round a bad record
SV OU: Mada vs Raptor - Mada has looked great since coming in, a long time overdue his start in SPL
SV OU: myjava vs oldspicemike - I prefer C++ but myjava is the man. Love his teams and play
SS OU: damien the genius vs Jytcampbell - Future Sight incoming just like my future sight in these predictions
SM OU: DonSalvatore vs Charmflash - Glad big Sal is back at home in a tier he can shine in
ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs pj - highlight game this one, 2 great oras players. I hope CBB isn't discouraged by his record and doesnt hold back in bringing chaotic Kyurem B Cloyster offense or the like
BW OU: SoulWind vs Fakes - I'm sorry Simon...
DPP OU: Dridri457 vs Malekith - Dridri is up and down but I think he's really talented. Kith is the same as ever, this will be a tight game
ADV OU: pkThunderbolt vs baddummy - Rick is back in business, hot streak continues
GSC OU: Rubyblood vs Siatam - Looks like Siatam is really good now this season and that will continue. Ruby is stronk too tho
RBY OU: Heroic Troller vs Khaetis - No kinglers or dodrios and we're in business

Circus Maximus Tigers (5) vs (7) Indie Scooters

SV OU: JJ09LIE vs Xrn - JJ0 has really impressed me this tour, no shade to Xrn who can beat anyone if he’s focused.
SV OU: Trosko vs Kushalos - Trosko is a bit too solid. Kush would need a great MU or a good bit of luck to win based on current trajectory.
SV OU: Storm Zone vs hellom - I think hellom is more diverse of a builder than SZ. Very excited for this.
SV OU: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs Akalli - gut feeling
SS OU: Garay oak vs Hayburner - fan of the Vinland Saga in his hero arch
SM OU: c0mp vs Welli0u - don’t bet against the tribal chief! c0mp playing great but Well is top 2 sm
ORAS OU: London Beats vs Niko - time for Niko to stop sliding. London is good but Niko has a higher ceiling.
BW OU: sensei axew vs elodin - thats my GOAT, papai noel forever
DPP OU: Le Don vs Sergio Aguero - Le Don prob wins based on experience as of late but havn’t liked his last two teams even if he’s been winning. Sergio is quite good at DPP and has played for 10+ years so def upset alert.
ADV OU: M Dragon vs SEA - MDrag has been unstoppable barring insane luck.
GSC OU: RealJester vs vani - Vani has been sliding hard lately, I’ll take Jester
RBY OU: Green on fire vs Gefährlicher Random - Felix is so good, people just have no idea. But ya, this is RBY anyone can win.

SV OU: Luispeikou vs xavgb - Stresh stop bringing troll shit and prove why you’re the best. 6 solid OU mons please
SV OU: Poek vs Fc - think FC is better at SV, FC was also that guy at end of SS don’t forget
SV OU: Mada vs Raptor - Raptor has goku behind him.
SV OU: myjava vs oldspicemike - upset incoming - i expect shenanigans
SS OU: damien the genius vs Jytcampbell - I think SS is just a weaker Mannat support tier than gens 5-7 but I hope JYT wins.
SM OU: DonSalvatore vs Charmflash - charm is gonna get some 100-0 mu incoming
ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs pj - historic MU, CBB vs. Mannat prep, who wins? I trust CBB to play better
BW OU: SoulWind vs Fakes - fakes too tough
DPP OU: Dridri457 vs Malekith - I think Dridri needs help with teams, feels like he has run out of ideas and stealing old stuff that also isn’t very good. I think Dridri can win if he doesn’t beat himself in the builder.
ADV OU: pkThunderbolt vs baddummy - I’m fading Triangles here, nothing else
GSC OU: Rubyblood vs Siatam - Siatam has been solid this year but I think Ruby is a try hard and I like how they played their last game and won a pretty hard MU.
RBY OU: Heroic Troller vs Khaetis - don’t bet against troller

s7a

they’re just folds in her dress
is a Tiering Contributor
ORAS OU: London Beats vs. Niko - it’s typical of Niko to falter a little once games start mattering less. With the right amount of pressure, though, he’s a demon and London is just a person.
SV OU: Mada vs. Raptor - that’s my goat
ADV OU: pkThunderbolt vs. baddummy - the latter is a really impactful player, Ciro Napoli tells me that everyday in dms

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Predictions

Circus Maximus Tigers (5) vs (7) Indie Scooters -- I feel like Tigers have a better chance than this reflects given how the two teams have been playing/trending though; the Tigers are hot while the Scooters are ice cold, having underperformed in recent weeks

SV OU: JJ09LIE vs Xrn - JJ09 is perhaps in better SV OU form, but I am very confident in picking Xrn here. Xrn managed to claw back from an 0-3 start to finish positive in the regular season; couple this upward trend with his affinity for the moment, having won with the season on the line in both WCoP and SCL previously, and you get a prime candidate for a big playoff performance. Xrn is a player I am already high on from prior experience, but I think he has grown better in this metagame with time and this is where he thrives, so I really trust him here. JJ is a really amazing player and I am glad he lived up to -- and even surpassed -- the pre-tour hype I and others had for him. His play is mostly solid and I think he popped off some weeks, but there were a few red flag endgames that he needs to tighten up on. Given this and his lack of experience relative to Xrn, going to have to side with my guy here. Should be a fun one though.

SV OU: Trosko vs Kushalos - 1-7 is tough man. You gotta have strong mental and confidence in yourself to breakthrough when you see the losses piling up regardless of if it's due to the game, your teams, or your play. Meanwhile Trosko has been one of the steadiest players all season, living up to his pricetag with a 6-2 SV record. What I really think distinguishes the pair apart from their records would be team selection and, as a result of this, piloting. Most weeks Trosko uses something fresh based off of (what I can only ssume to be) his own ideas and his own metagame vision, opponent expectations, etc. -- I think that he is going to always be comfortable going into games. As for Kushalos, it is more scattered with an offensive focus most weeks and I am not sure how comfortable he gets or what his process may be. Maybe this week he gets into his best form yet and pops off as Kushalos' pedigree is there, but I gotta go with the hot hand right now and bold Trosko

SV OU: Storm Zone vs hellom - Storm has ascended from ladder hero to tournament standout over the last year or two; he has tightened things up recently, too, as he went from 2-3 to 5-3 as he kept a strong OST run going. If anyone can take down hellom, it may very well be another top player like Storm Zone. However, I do think that hellom is the protagonist in this story and perhaps in this SPL altogether -- 9-0 in your debut in a metagame riddled with chaos that experienced numerous mid-tournament shifts is nothing to overlook. hellom's few cracks have been with details in later games, but those have still been overcome and I think his play got even more steady as the season progressed. While his win last week was pretty much a freebie, his schedule and wins need to be respected on the whole. Same goes for Storm of course, but I think I will side with hellom until proven wrong at this point. Huge highlight with two great ones.

SV OU: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs Akalli - Akalli chilling at 5-2 for 5k is one of the most impressive value picks. However, S1nn0h going 5-4 across two tiers for only 5.5k is also great. The main distinguishing factor between the two, who I both view as strong players, is that Akalli is more seasoned in OU. He is a capable builder with a ton of experience playing between ladder in tournaments; his ear is to the ground as the ripples of the metagame continue to show themselves, giving him a leg-up in the preparation department as well as in-game execution and expectations. S1nn0h probably has the more outplaying potential of the two given his dynamic SCL showing and general track record, but SV OU is a hard tier to assimilate to stardom in, especially given an abbreviated window. I still think he has close to an even shot here, but I favor Akalli given what I have seen from both.

SS OU: Garay oak vs Hayburner - Hayburner is an underrated player who has a nice 4-2 run going in SS this SPL. I still think he has shown a few litle holes in his game trying to maneuver late games or drawn out games, but his teams are all solid and he is comfortable with the metagame it seems. Garay, on the flip side, is 3-6 across four different tiers with 5 straight mid-season losses. I think this record does not fit his play as he has been unfortunate at times and also switching around a fair bit. Another factor here is Garay is one of the most clutch players on Smogon, having consistently done well in playoffs/tiebreak while also winning Grand Slam against some strong opponents. I think he is going to thrive in these conditions and expect him to be the best of the 4 SS players in these playoffs if his mental is still good regardless of his record.

SM OU: c0mp vs Welli0u - Well has been better than his record, which says a lot given that he is still 6-3. His lost last week felt a little bizarre because Skype had a lot less to lose while his loss against Qwily was awkward given the Kartana set situation for those who followed. Prior to that, Well was 6-0 in his last 6 games, only losing W1 to Charmflash using Porygon-Z. I think he will rise to the occasion in the playoffs like he did during parts of SCL, where he won his first 3 playoff contests. c0mp I think is a solid fill-in starter across fairygens; having worked with him last year, I am confident he deserves a slot, but I do think it will be a challenge to take down a top player unless he and z0mOG have a prep masterclass.

ORAS OU: London Beats vs Niko - Niko has played a ton of high-level ORAS OU between SPL, Invitational, Masters, and probably other tournaments. I do value that depth of experience when it comes to high-stake games like this as it will be harder to put him in an uncomfortable position; his playstyle is also pretty dynamic with a lot of hard offenses and fat balances, which makes prepping for him a challenge. London, similarly to c0mp, is a strong enough pilot and someone who has had his fair share of big wins over the years. However, it feels like this will be uphill from him just given where I rate them both. I do not buy into the Niko going 5-0 to 5-4 much either as part of this was just how the matchups broke and how the Pokemon happened -- I view Niko as a positive player in this pool and London as middle of the pack overall. Obviously either is capable of winning and London has a lot of great support on-board, but I will favor Niko to stop the losing streak here.

BW OU: sensei axew vs elodin - Two great BW players with sensei being newer to the fray over the last couple years and elodin being a seasoned veteran. I think elodin has adopted a playstyle that is able to cover a wide array of possible matchups in the metagame, which is huge given how volatile some BW games seem to be. Overall, I really trust his team selection process and piloting even if there have been a few small cracks in mid-late games. sensei is a similarly capable player, but I am less familiar with his preparation and building. This is a really big part of BW and I am just admitting I am unsure what to expect from him while I have full faith in elodin, so going to side with that more than I am going firmly against sensei at this point. Should be an exciting, close game.

SV OU: Luispeikou vs xavgb - xavgb is not as fond of this metagame, but he still has been playing mostly well. The main barrier/difference is team selection and finding that same degree of confidence he had in prior metagames. I think with everything on the line, he is going to make it work. He has plenty of informed SV players on his side, he has more experience than anyone in this generation, and his skill ceiling is second-to-none. I am very confident he will put it together, I believe his playoff blues are more small sample than they are genuine, and I believe he will assert himself as a top player here. Luis is solid, but this is just a very hard match-up for him. I will not rule him out due to lordsquads and great support, but this is going to be uphill if all else is equal.

SV OU: Poek vs Fc - Poek has been underwhelming all season long. I think he is a great player historically, but probably came into this season without much recent metagame experience in SM and even his win against QWILY had some :worrywhirl:. However, he did win last week in a lower pressure game I was wrong, confused games and didn't remember the last turn LMAO MB and I think shifting to SV is a great idea for him. For starters, he is going to have the support of great teams that could very well be ahead of the curve with numerous teammates able to assure he gets in form. On top of this, he is just too good a player to lose consistently at this level with these opponents -- look at his historic track record relative to his performance right now. I do not think he is crust quite yet and I think this is the perfect setting for a pop-off. Plus, no way am I picking the Tyrants to go 0-4 in SV with the in-house people they had. Match-ups broke awkwardly with them with java vs mike arguably, but I think they can push through this one and maybe another. As for Fc, he is a good player who uses solid, mostly offensive builds and has great influencers in-house as well. I think he got frustrated with a really unfortunate game last week he always should've won with neutral luck and he

SV OU: Mada vs Raptor - Raptor has used some cool teams and played mostly well outside of a late game or two. I think he is more polished and experienced. Mada is an underrated player with a great 3-0 start, but I do think this is going to be a challenging opponent, especially relative to the three he has faced so far. I think Mada's team selection and team support is great, but I do feel Raptor the individual player and builder is stronger in the present day. This is closer than many would think just based on sheer name recognition as Mada, in my opinion, is very much legit. However, I will go with Raptor just based off of resume and feel for the time being.

SV OU: myjava vs oldspicemike - An absolute highlight from two names you may not even recognize in tournament circles at the start of the generation! java was given an opportuntiy and ran with it, going 5-1 against a respectable group of opponents. In fact, he handed oldspicemike his only loss of the season, which makes the rematch even more intriguing. As for mike, what can you even say at this point? Dude has taken every opportunity of his own and been an absolute beast. Huge SCL into an even more impressive SPL despite facing strong opponents and metagame obstacles galore. Both use good, unique team structures and make plays that show their experience in the metagame rather than just clicking around. I would bold both against most others right now, but this is a rough one and you gotta take a side. I find winning rematches harder than th initial game usually and mike has a larger sample to go off of, so I will side with him, but this is more 51/49 than it is 65/35 or anything like that. Must-see TV for SV enthusiasts!

SS OU: damien the genius vs Jytcampbell - Jyt has done a bit better than I anticipated, but I think he shows occasional holes in his game. Overall, he is a great dude and brings strong teams each week, but I think damien is more in touch with current SS than just a pilot, which I view Jyt as, and this will help distinguish the two. I really like damien's style he carved out for himself and I have confidence in him to bounce back after losing the last two.

SM OU: DonSalvatore vs Charmflash - Don has quietly turned his season around with 2 wins to get him back to positive and this is all after a superb run in Masters; I think he is developing into a great player across fairygens. However, Charmflash has been great -- you can like him or not, but his teams have been distinguished, his plays have been mostly on-point, and the results show. The Ruiners took a risk in fielding him as a starter and he came through to the tune of 7 wins for 4k, which may be one of the best values in any old generation slot. Hard to pick against that here for me.

ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs pj - Rough season for CBB and I think he will be the first to admit this, but he is by no means washed or a bad player. I think the ideas are there and the final execution in the builder/game just needs to keep refining itself. I expect him to "upset" pj -- and I do think it is an upset as while CBB's name recognition is historically stronger, pj is better by 2 games this SPL and also won ORAS invitational. pj has become a really strong ORAS option over the last few years and his resume shows it. Mainly going off a gut feeling, but I mainly think CBB knows what it would mean to finally win with the Tyrants and will find a way now that it is playoff time.

BW OU: SoulWind vs Fakes - With all due respect paid to dice, these two are the two best BW players of SPL. Fakes has done it in more impressive fashion to me, winning the head-to-head and having one of his losses due to pretty awful luck (albeit he also did not play fully optimal) while finishing with the slightly better record. Of course, 6-3 is no joke either and SoulWind is no stranger from the moment. His 6-3 is a little silly, too, given thath is W9 game did not matter and he ran into nonsense after all. He is the BW GOAT and his teams have grown with the metagame, even setting trends in the same fashion they used to with some of his fat builds. I think that SoulWind will avoid awkward early game scipt positions like he ended up in last time against Fakes where Ferro got a free kill on Rotom-W. From there, I think it is close to even, but SoulWind is more experienced and has a greater potential for bringing something with good match-up coverage. Fakes has used great teams all season for sure, but anyone will admit their hands will be full prepping for SoulWind after all. I am very excited for this one and hope it is clean. Should be a major highlight with both being amazing so far.

Tiebreak

SV OU: myjava vs xavgb (I could see xavgb picking SS with oldspicemike in SV and then him drawing SoulWind with java-mike rematch in SV, too) - myjava deserves his praise and it is tough to have him drawing two losses in the same prediction post after such a stellar run, but his opponents tell more of the story than anything there -- xavgb is another great player and I went off above about how I feel about his capabilities. Would be another highlight game to potentially decide things though.

SV OU: SoulWind vs oldspicemike - Going to be hard for me to bold against Mike with his record and continued success, but I do not think many people are above 50/50 with SoulWind as things stand. The guy manages to win far more often than not across so many different generations. Mike is obviously more experienced and been doing this for multiple full seasons now, but my gut says SW will find a way to win with the support of CTC, blunder, and Java in some capacity.

RBY OU: Heroic Troller vs Malekith

Last edited:

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
The sharkbros were so close to our tiebreak, so here's hoping the semis will have some !
TB Predictions:

Tigers vs. Scooters:
- Scoots pick SM: Well is the Scoots' 2nd best record and probably most confident tier picking into anyone. Tigers have rotated ppl into SM frequently, so this should be an easier pick. Alternative I see is SV, but the Tigers have one of the strongest SV cores in the tournament. Picking SM into Trosko is rough, but if he prefers SV this tour, I can definitely see Garay being the SM option bc they would've made the playoff change otherwise.
- Tigers pick GSC: vani is definitely a weak member of the GSC pool and especially in the clutch going from 4-1 in the first 5 weeks to 4-5 and contributing to their shaky qualification. M Drag is Father and the best old gen flex along with his Spanish bro SW on the rants. Big Mariano showing that he still got it this tour. I think if the Tigers pick GSC, then the Scoots probably send in Felix as he is one of the best players on their team and can flex into many tiers.

SV: Trosko 49% vs. 51% hellom - Trosko has returned to his farming form from 5 years ago through strong, solid balance/bulky offense teams, his bread and butter. He plays calm and collected and the biggest mistake I've noticed from him is his early Tera usage from games like w1 vs Floss (that he still won somehow) and his game vs me. Tera usage is an imperfect skill and takes a lot of time, but playing 8/9 weeks definitely gives you a better idea. hellom is obviously 9-0 and potentially 10-0 while facing powerful legends such as myself, so he is probably the favorite vs most of the players here, even beating Trosko in the regular season with that OP Latias set. He generally plays very smart and conservative and ppl calling out his self goob vs crying aren't being genuine bc playing vs crying is like playing a RNG AI, so it happens. The biggest thing this game will come down to is hellom's nerves as being in a tiebreak situation is one of the highest stakes you can experience in mons. He's usually last to play for his team, but that's while having a relatively cushiony regular season for his team compared to the do or die of tb, which is why the percentages are very close here
SM: Garay oak 55% vs. 45% Welliou - Garay is the clutch GUY for team tours lately with 3 rings to his belt and being the difference maker in every single one of them. Yeah, his record is bad I won't lie, but he steps up for important games 100%. Well is no slouch and being a 100% poff maker guy is pretty sheist. He also dismantled stresh in SCL, so it's not like tbs are anything new for him. I just think as long as Garay doesn't use that stupid 2019 chansey gliscor pex shit he has a real shot and is even favored to beat someone like Well. Just in tbs & poffs, Garay has that dawg in him
GSC: M Dragon 60% vs. 40% Felix - Felix is a very very good player, but it's the (actual) Daddy. He shamoned my guy Lavos when we picked GSC into HIM, so I'm contractually obligated to glaze M Drag and assume absolute victory for him. Felix's competency as a player will make things close, though

Tyrants vs. Ruiners:
- Tyrants pick RBY: Here we are as Tyrants TB again and this time Troller will definitely be unleashed. He's in control of his own destiny and the chance to grab the ring, so I can't imagine anyone more confident than Troller going into this and I assume he'll force them to pick it (not that they need a lot of convincing, surely). I can't imagine Khaetis is picked here unless he demolishes Troller 5-0 5-0, so I'll assume Kith is picked as their primary OG flex.
- Ruiners pick SV: pretty cruel move following the basedlord's ban, but I think it makes the most sense. Tyrants SV is still strong, but the hole left by CTC is a big one. Even if he'll still be helping, he won't be playing (unless..? lol jk..) Stresh has been struggling and, as pointed out by a toxic user, he "has never won an important game, ever", but the Ruiners should still be confident in their rank #1 SV OU guy and Raptor who has been innovating and dominating as well despite a few self goobages. Tyrants don't really have an option besides Ruby who's doing great in OST, so I'm thinking the SW flex is here

SV: Rubyblood 45% vs. 55% Raptor: some of the strongest building minds are going to clash here (CTC + the secret helper vs. combo of stresh + Raptor). CTC has been a step ahead of the curve for the majority of this tournament, and Raptor has the willingness to innovate (fuck You for Mirror Herb Zama) and actually bring his techs, so if you assume both these teams will be strong, you go with who has been the better player. Ruby has struggled this tour while Raptor has dominated, so the edge definitely goes to him.
SV: SoulWind 55% vs. 45% stresh: I prefer this mu over the reverse bc stresh has shown a tendency to not perform his best in situations like this compared to SW who is one of the strongest tb participants on smogon. If there's a time for stresh to show up, it has to be vs a titan like SW. SW is not the strongest SV OU player with it probably being his weakest tier overall tbh, but he has the best support imaginable backing him up and is a robot so he surely studied most of the SV games that happened already. CTC will build his best team ever for this matchup undoubtedly, and I think SW will outplay stresh. I glazed the SHIT out of stresh in the SCL tb, but he absolutely made some losing plays in a solid mu. Like I mentioned b4, if there's any time to shake off the nerves or w.e it may be, it's gotta be in TB
RBY: Troller 60% vs. 40% Malekith: Troller def wants this ring really badly after having probably a top 3 SPL-overall record of all time with no W. His experience and knowledge of RBY lines will be the significant advantage here over Kith. Kith is a very strong OG player as evidenced by his classic run, so it's not like he has no clue what he's doing. NGL, this shit is coming down to who lands their sleeps and freezes/paras their body slams/crits their body slams the most anyways (I'm a hater), but on even luck, it's gotta be Troller

Circus Maximus Tigers (6) vs (6) Indie Scooters

SV OU: JJ09LIE vs Xrn - JJ09LIE is an absolute professional, their teams have been on point and their gameplay is sharp and aggressive. Xrn's comeback from an 0-3 start has been impressive but I just see an absolute dawg in JJ. That said, some of his high-pressure Sucker Punch moments have been a little worrisome, so I could conceivably see nerves come into play against Xrn who has performed in must-win games before.
SV OU: Trosko vs Kushalos - Trosko has spent his SPL essentially gatekeeping the field, with his only losses at the hands of top-ranked lax and undefeated hellom. I truly did not expect Kushalos to be so firmly on the wrong side of the gate; he's been going through it this season.
SV OU: Storm Zone vs hellom - what else is there to say about the monster? Nine wins in his debut season is remarkable. This is his most high-stakes test to date, staring down a ladder legend in semifinals - they've probably fought dozens of times already. I think if he keeps up his form from regular season the game is his, but you never know how nerves affect someone until they go up on the stage.
SV OU: S1nn0hC0nfirm3d vs Akalli - I'm not entirely convinced by S1nn0h's gameplay this SPL but we've seen the absolutely meteoric heights he can reach in tour settings and under pressure. The experience difference will be key here - Akalli has been clicking better this tour but this is a new environment for him.
SS OU: Garay oak vs Hayburner - Hayburner came in as a pinch hitter for the Scooters but rapidly proved to be more than worthy of a starting spot. Garay has kind of struggled to find footing this SPL but SWSH is a great way for him to try and get his swagger back, although Tigers SWSH has been kind of rough across the board.
SM OU: c0mp vs Welli0u - ze ha ha ha ha
ORAS OU: London Beats vs Niko - Niko's not going to lose 5 in a row after that spectacular start he had, surely.
ADV OU: M Dragon vs SEA - I am very excited to see SEA in a playoffs setting but M Dragon's a wily veteran and it's going to be difficult to blindside him.
GSC OU: RealJester vs vani - as the co-manager of the Tyrants for an unprecedented twelve hours, Jester's got more at stake here.
RBY OU: Green on fire vs Gefährlicher Random - credit to Green on fire for going 4-5

SV: Trosko vs hellom - honestly for me this one depends on if hellom beats Storm Zone. If he wins that one he wins this one.
DPP (Tigers pick): M Dragon vs Sergio Aguero - imo where the Scooters draft falls short is the lack of a singular classic tiebreaker like an M Dragon or a Malekith. I put DPP here because it's their weakest record but they could pick GSC too to similar effect.
SM (Scooters pick): Garay oak vs Welli0u - I like the idea of just unleashing the Well wherever he's most comfortable. Garay oak in the clutch is a scary sight, though.

SV OU: Luispeikou vs xavgb - xavgb may not be enjoying the meta, and his record isn't reflective of his PR placement, but he's still one of the best SV players on the site and has shown an ability to completely solve a meta before. If there's any time for him to debut some new balance, now is the time.
SV OU: Poek vs Fc - Poek is fundamentally good at mons, he ran crying extremely close last week, but SV is extremely intensive on knowledge. If you don't know all of the Teras that might come out you risk being caught off guard. I think the experience difference will be cashed in for Fc here.
SV OU: Mada vs Raptor - it feels like this entire SPL rey and blunder have been pulling SV subs out of a hat that are just allergic to losing.
SV OU: myjava vs oldspicemike - unstoppable force vs. unstoppable force. java is absolutely fearless and mike has looked completely incapable of losing besides his W4 game against...myjava. The rematch will be tougher but I really do believe in java.
SM OU: DonSalvatore vs Charmflash - DonSalvatore's breakout Masters run shows that he's a more than worthy opponent, but Charmflash seems absolutely immersed in the tier after getting out of jail. Rey do not let Don agree to an rfn, you can never trust anyone with a Zinnia profile picture.
ORAS OU: CrashinBoomBang vs pj - CBB 2-7 is absolutely not reflective of his play and I feel like his ceiling will end up being higher here. The ORAS field this year was ridiculous.
BW OU: SoulWind vs Fakes - we all know what SoulWind does in BW by now, he wins.
ADV OU: pkThunderbolt vs baddummy - Tyrants definitely underinvested in ADV and simply trusted their 3k players to grab wins where they could. Smart drafting but baddummy has been really working things out recently and is definitely the favorite here.
GSC OU: Rubyblood vs Siatam - Rubyblood's pivot to GSC seems to be working for him but Siatam's made a meal of the GSC pool thus far. That said, he got brutalized by Mister Sauce, so if the Tyrants want to throw a curveball...
RBY OU: Heroic Troller vs Khaetis - as soon as playoffs were locked for the Tyrants, Troller took this as an opportunity to start loading weird stuff like Jolteon and Kingler. I don't think he's going to screw around this week, he's already an SPL legend and just needs a trophy.

SV: SoulWind vs xavgb - people above have spoken about this potential MU, but I also want to mention that stresh's greatest opponent in a clutch situation may very well end up being his dodgy internet connection. If he DCs and loses a minute of time to think with finals on the line, it might get messy.
SV (Ruiners pick): Rubyblood vs Raptor - a second SV seems risky to pick into a team with blunder+CTC+all of their freshly eliminated homies, but the one-two punch of stresh and Raptor is going to be hard to turn down, and if they pick a classic gen the Tyrants will just throw SoulWind in there. Rubyblood's SPL record in SV looks way worse than the eye test reveals from any of his games, and his OST run indicates that he's still a damn good SV for the future. myjava is also a perfectly reasonable option if they believe he'll be cool under pressure.
RBY (Tyrants pick): Heroic Troller vs Malekith - it's trolling time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)