Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Heya, it's my first time posting here, and I'm pretty new to PS and competitive pokemon in general, is there an index of some sort or list of commonly used acronyms and terms/slang for PS and competitive pokemon overall?
Welcome, lmk if you have any further questions.

This is a little dated, but it’s a start that brushes the surface as an example: https://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/pokemon_dictionary

most modern terms are just abbreviating common moves, but if you have specific questions, ask here anytime!

Welcome, lmk if you have any further questions.

This is a little dated, but it’s a start that brushes the surface as an example: https://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/pokemon_dictionary

most modern terms are just abbreviating common moves, but if you have specific questions, ask here anytime!
Hello, Thank you for the hasty and warm welcome to the community I will definitely make sure to ask here if I have any questions. I hope you have a great day!

First question here, what will happen to the national Dex ladder once all the mons return to SS? Will all the bans be transferred over to SS OU ladder?

Finally got a Landorus and looking to make a viable set with him, so I go slightly defensive or all out sweeper? What’s everyone’s favorite or go to?

Finally got a Landorus and looking to make a viable set with him, so I go slightly defensive or all out sweeper? What’s everyone’s favorite or go to?
It depends on your team, if u lack a rocker lando is a good one, if lack a scarfer also lando is good. So its up to u mainly

Katy

Banned deucer.
It depends on the role that landorus-T should serve for a team:

1. if you need a Stealth Rock-setter, it can lay down entry hazards for your team
2. if you need Speed Control you can use him as a Choice Scarfed-option with reliable utility and momentum such as Defog, Knock Off, and U-turn
3. If you need a Suicide Lead for Hyper Offensive teams you can opt it for this purpose

Landorus-Therian in itself is a very splashable fit on most teams and can fullfill several roles reliably, that is why it is so high in the VR of OU. But the best way to go is figuring out, what the team, you want to use it for, needs and then go that route and opt your Landorus-T that way.

I hope that helped :)

It depends on the role that landorus-T should serve for a team:

1. if you need a Stealth Rock-setter, it can lay down entry hazards for your team
2. if you need Speed Control you can use him as a Choice Scarfed-option with reliable utility and momentum such as Defog, Knock Off, and U-turn
3. If you need a Suicide Lead for Hyper Offensive teams you can opt it for this purpose

Landorus-Therian in itself is a very splashable fit on most teams and can fullfill several roles reliably, that is why it is so high in the VR of OU. But the best way to go is figuring out, what the team, you want to use it for, needs and then go that route and opt your Landorus-T that way.

I hope that helped :)
Yeah very much so thanks! I think I want to try out a stealth rock type of set

I have been using the Block, Recycle, Recover, Rest Pyukumuku set for about a month. I have not received an endless-battle-clause message and no one has reported me. I spoke to a mod from the Help room and, according to them, the set is legal.

Here is a paste from the 2013 EBC post:

"This will be implemented in all official Smogon metagames. The specific implementation of this clause will be left up to the Sim Admins, but we intend to be very targeted, to ensure that no otherwise legal competitive strategies are limited."

Does this mean the extent of my cheating replies on the mod that might be called into my room?

Also, I was informed about the new 1,000 turn policy. How does that affect The Endless-Battle Clause and this set?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I have been using the Block, Recycle, Recover, Rest Pyukumuku set for about a month. I have not received an endless-battle-clause message and no one has reported me. I spoke to a mod from the Help room and, according to them, the set is legal.

Here is a paste from the 2013 EBC post:

"This will be implemented in all official Smogon metagames. The specific implementation of this clause will be left up to the Sim Admins, but we intend to be very targeted, to ensure that no otherwise legal competitive strategies are limited."

Does this mean the extent of my cheating replies on the mod that might be called into my room?

Also, I was informed about the new 1,000 turn policy. How does that affect The Endless-Battle Clause and this set?
Eventually the battle will end due to PP stall. The endless battle applies to battles that would actually never end, its an algorithm that would pop up automatically if it actually occurs. The 1000 turn policy was a result of stall v stall fests in Gen6 primarily that would never end due to Regen vs Regen mons.

Hi!
I was wondering how easily shift gear & calm mind magearna is without much team support. I see it mostly on screens HO, but I want to use it on a team without screens. It still has defog support, but, does it work very well without screens and further support?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Hi!
I was wondering how easily shift gear & calm mind magearna is without much team support. I see it mostly on screens HO, but I want to use it on a team without screens. It still has defog support, but, does it work very well without screens and further support?
It can work, but it's less consistent and harder to set-up at times. It is still Magearna, so it's hard to go wrong with it.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you're playing on cart, you're probably better off looking into Battle Stadium Singles or VGC, as the time restraints on cart make it very unfit for 6v6 play in both singles and doubles.

The Battle Stadium Singles analysis can be found here: https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/landorus-therian/battle-stadium-singles/

Keep in mind that dynamax is legal in both BSS and VGC, in addition to them using the bring 6 choose 3 or 4 (respectively) format alongside an objective banlist, so the game is very, very different from OU.

Last edited:

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Why does Landorus Therian have 12 def in its scarf set in the analysis page?

Edit: And why does Heatran have a bunch of speed evs in its specially defensive set?

Last edited:
Hello fellas! Returning player here, I have not played since USUM, so i'm not too much aware of the metagame right now.

I used to play a lot sand last gen, so, i would like to start my journey in this gen playing that archetype again, but i didn't find some resource or something about how to build or what threats watch out while building a team with this weather style.

Outside of the classic core of Excadrill + sand setter, there are other mons that can be considered? Things like Water/Grass checks, something to deal with birds to enable Excadrill to clean, and all that kind of stuff because i'm so outdated. I would like to ask you enlighten me about this gen threats for the archetype and some mons worth to consider when building.

Thank you so much and enjoy your games!

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Outside of the classic core of Excadrill + sand setter, there are other mons that can be considered? Things like Water/Grass checks, something to deal with birds to enable Excadrill to clean, and all that kind of stuff i'm outdated, so i would like to ask you enlighten me about this gen threats for the archetype and some mons worth to consider when building.
Dracozolt also gets Sand Rush as an alternative, common Pokemon like Toxapex and Tornadus-Therian can Knock Off Excadrill checks, and status spread in general can go a long way on Excadrill Sand teams as well!

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Hello fellas! Returning player here, I have not played since USUM, so i'm not too much aware of the metagame right now.

I used to play a lot sand last gen, so, i would like to start my journey in this gen playing that archetype again, but i didn't find some resource or something about how to build or what threats watch out while building a team with this weather style.

Outside of the classic core of Excadrill + sand setter, there are other mons that can be considered? Things like Water/Grass checks, something to deal with birds to enable Excadrill to clean, and all that kind of stuff because i'm so outdated. I would like to ask you enlighten me about this gen threats for the archetype and some mons worth to consider when building.

Thank you so much and enjoy your games!
If you're using a sand team, then regardless of what happens, you need to be ready for Rillaboom. It has a priority grassy glide which can easily dispatch Excadrill, or at the very least mauling it and cutting its sweep short. However, glide only has priority in grassy terrain so on a sand team, you would need a Rillaboom answer like Corviknight or Skarmory or terrain control like Tapu Lele, which also prevents you from losing to stupid aqua jets

As Finch mentioned, Dracozolt is also a good sand abuser and can be translated as 'sand rush Nidoking' as it has very little switch ins. It has its ups and downs but a good set is the Ocelzolt set made by Liquidocelot which functions as a monstrous sand wall breaker

Dracozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 88 Atk / 212 SpA / 208 Spe
Rash Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Naturally, Dracozolt can also be a sand rush sweeper but if you're gonna use Excadrill on a team, you will need a wallbreaker and Ocelzolt is monstrous at what it does

Another thing that sand teams need to account for is scale shot Garchomp. If Garchomp manages to get +2 speed, it will outrun Excadrill even under sand and that would be bad

Speaking of Garchomp, sand veil Garchomp sand teams is now actually a legit thing and it is quite devastating. As scale shot boosts its speed, it can very feasibly outrun any threat and dodge hits left and right due to sand veil

So basically, a sand team is gonna consist of Hippowdon, Excadrill / Garchomp and grass + water resist (like Tangrowth for example). I would not recommend using Tyranitar due to how badly it matches up against the rest of the metagame. The last three slots are quite flexible and you can choose nearly anything you want as long as you have at least one mon that destroys Corviknight as Excadrill has rock slide as an option to power thru the birds

If you're using a sand team, then regardless of what happens, you need to be ready for Rillaboom. It has a priority grassy glide which can easily dispatch Excadrill, or at the very least mauling it and cutting its sweep short. However, glide only has priority in grassy terrain so on a sand team, you would need a Rillaboom answer like Corviknight or Skarmory or terrain control like Tapu Lele, which also prevents you from losing to stupid aqua jets

As Finch mentioned, Dracozolt is also a good sand abuser and can be translated as 'sand rush Nidoking' as it has very little switch ins. It has its ups and downs but a good set is the Ocelzolt set made by Liquidocelot which functions as a monstrous sand wall breaker

Dracozolt @ Life Orb
EVs: 88 Atk / 212 SpA / 208 Spe
Rash Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Naturally, Dracozolt can also be a sand rush sweeper but if you're gonna use Excadrill on a team, you will need a wallbreaker and Ocelzolt is monstrous at what it does

Another thing that sand teams need to account for is scale shot Garchomp. If Garchomp manages to get +2 speed, it will outrun Excadrill even under sand and that would be bad

Speaking of Garchomp, sand veil Garchomp sand teams is now actually a legit thing and it is quite devastating. As scale shot boosts its speed, it can very feasibly outrun any threat and dodge hits left and right due to sand veil

So basically, a sand team is gonna consist of Hippowdon, Excadrill / Garchomp and grass + water resist (like Tangrowth for example). I would not recommend using Tyranitar due to how badly it matches up against the rest of the metagame. The last three slots are quite flexible and you can choose nearly anything you want as long as you have at least one mon that destroys Corviknight as Excadrill has rock slide as an option to power thru the birds
Just as a heads up the new spread post Kyub-Zygarge for Ocelzolt is.

Rash Nature
EVs: 108 Atk / 212 SpA / 188 Spe
- Bolt Beak
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Why have I heard so much NP hydreigon and sp def clef, but I have never seen either of them, is it at the really top of ladder cuz I sure haven't seen it at 1700s. Also is CM reuniclus worth using, LO magic guard sounds cool, but it is threatened out by so much like kart, melmetal, and dark types

Why have I heard so much NP hydreigon and sp def clef, but I have never seen either of them, is it at the really top of ladder cuz I sure haven't seen it at 1700s. Also is CM reuniclus worth using, LO magic guard sounds cool, but it is threatened out by so much like kart, melmetal, and dark types
I have seen np hydreigon in 1800s but never spe def clef, is bad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)