Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I'm working on a sun team and noticed that mold breaker Excadrill is a problem. Can anyone suggest some good checks to it please?
Corviknight, Mandibuzz + revenge killer, Vaporeon, Milotic, and Hippowdon should all be able to stop Mold Breaker Excadrill, but only the first two will be able to do so while functioning as a pivot/momentum generator, which is likely what you are looking for on an archetype such as a Sun team.

I'm working on a sun team and noticed that mold breaker Excadrill is a problem. Can anyone suggest some good checks to it please?
Leafeon can switch in on an EQ, (can tank an Iron Head in a pinch) and force it out, giving it a free boost.
Shrifty can switch in on an EQ as well but takes 30-40% iirc, so it should only be used in a pinch, as it's useless after it takes an Iron Head.
Zard can maybe work here, mold breaker Drill usually doesn't run Rock Slide, so it should be able to take an Iron Head, plus it's a good wallbreaker itself in Sun.

Is there such thing as a mon, no matter how niche, that fully counters the standard icicle crash/flare blitz/EQ/u-turn banded darm?
Marvel Scale Milotic with Flame Orb? It's already stretching it. Best way to deal with it is by pivoting around.

+1 252 Atk Choice Band Darmanitan-Galar Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Marvel Scale Milotic: 145-171 (36.8 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after burn damage

Looking for a genetic ev spread for ferrothorn that's to be used on a rain team of gyarados, peliper, dracovish, seismitoad, rotom-w and ferrothorn.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Looking for a genetic ev spread for ferrothorn that's to be used on a rain team of gyarados, peliper, dracovish, seismitoad, rotom-w and ferrothorn.
A lot of Ferrothorn tend to max out PDef on teams like those right now. Let’s you handle opposing Water types with at least some durability and also is nice for problematic Pokemon like Sand Driller

Last edited:
It’s to underspeed -Speed nature Aegislash to lure it into using CC and ohko it after it changes to Blade form. Not sure why it’s 27 instead of 28 speed IVs but probably doesn’t matter, maybe it’s to also catch 30 iv aegis that try to underspeed other aegis while still being faster than random stuff 0 iv couldn’t hit
Humor me. So that my fucking peabrain can understand. Why wouldn't Aegislash go for CC turn one? By lure do you mean ttar uses a useless move like stone edge, and aegi uses a move other than CC, maybe predicting a switch, but then seeing that ttar is slower next turn it goes for CC? but crunch doesnt OHKO anyway.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Humor me. So that my fucking peabrain can understand. Why wouldn't Aegislash go for CC turn one? By lure do you mean ttar uses a useless move like stone edge, and aegi uses a move other than CC, maybe predicting a switch, but then seeing that ttar is slower next turn it goes for CC? but crunch doesnt OHKO anyway.
Aegislash does go for CC turn one, they become blade forme, and you live the hit because of chople berry. Because you are slower, they are now in blade form when you attack them instead of shield form, so they have really bad defenses and your Crunch is able to OHKO it.

You can remove the screens with Defog, use common moves like Protect or Baneful Bunker to stall out turns, use strong defensive walls to handle offensive threats behind screens, or some combination of these in order to function well against dual screens offensive teams.
Also if you run Cinderace it can steal the screens for yourself with Court Change wasting all their efforts to setup and giving you an advantage.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
A couple questions

What kind of teams are dominant in the current meta? (As in: BO, balance, stall, etc)

And does DD dragapult have any viability? Or is it just running special breaker sets

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
A couple questions

What kind of teams are dominant in the current meta? (As in: BO, balance, stall, etc)
I see a lot of balance and bulky-offense atm. Not so much stall.

And does DD dragapult have any viability? Or is it just running special breaker sets
Special sets (Specs and SubWispHex) are most common, but people have used SubDD and it is viable.

Is hyper offense as an archetype still good in the post-dynamax meta? If so, what Pokemon/sets are top picks for hyper offense teams? I've been playing a HO team based around Ribombee/Dracovish/Bisharp and since the dmax ban I've been struggling to break through big defensive cores (specifically Haze Toxapex). Are these mons just not that great anymore?

New to the scene could anyone explain to me the archetypes? Is it just offensive/balance/stall? and is balance as simple as offense and stall elements together?

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is hyper offense as an archetype still good in the post-dynamax meta? If so, what Pokemon/sets are top picks for hyper offense teams? I've been playing a HO team based around Ribombee/Dracovish/Bisharp and since the dmax ban I've been struggling to break through big defensive cores (specifically Haze Toxapex). Are these mons just not that great anymore?
I would imagine HO is still pretty good in the new metagame. Generally when I think of HO nowadays I think of dual screens with Grimmsnarl. Ribombee/Dracovish/Bisharp seems OK but I can see why you're getting walled, as that core really struggles against Toxapex and Ferrothorn, two of the biggest walls in the current metagame. Some common offensive cores I've been seeing include Hydregion + Aegislash and Darmanitan-G + Clefable. Dragapult, Rotom-Wash/Heat, Tyranitar and Kommo-o can all run pretty threatening set-up or wallbreaker sets, too.

New to the scene could anyone explain to me the archetypes? Is it just offensive/balance/stall? and is balance as simple as offense and stall elements together?
Yes, the "main" 3 archetypes are generally offensive, balance and stall, though they can be seperated further into sub-archetypes, including Screens (utilizing Reflect/Light Screen or Aurora Veil), Spike-stack, Weather-based.... etc. Offensive is obviously pumping your team full of powerful wallbreakers and set-up sweepers. It's a riskier play-style but generally rewards good prediction skills and aggressive play. Stall is the opposite, where generally you try to whittle down your opponent while minimizing damage against yourself. Balance is a little more complex than just Offensive + Stall together. It generally involves making a team that's constructed to face down every possible threat in the metagame, or atleast most of them, focused on a more fluid win-condition. I hope that makes sense.

I would imagine HO is still pretty good in the new metagame. Generally when I think of HO nowadays I think of dual screens with Grimmsnarl. Ribombee/Dracovish/Bisharp seems OK but I can see why you're getting walled, as that core really struggles against Toxapex and Ferrothorn, two of the biggest walls in the current metagame. Some common offensive cores I've been seeing include Hydregion + Aegislash and Darmanitan-G + Clefable. Dragapult, Rotom-Wash/Heat, Tyranitar and Kommo-o can all run pretty threatening set-up or wallbreaker sets, too.

Yes, the "main" 3 archetypes are generally offensive, balance and stall, though they can be seperated further into sub-archetypes, including Screens (utilizing Reflect/Light Screen or Aurora Veil), Spike-stack, Weather-based.... etc. Offensive is obviously pumping your team full of powerful wallbreakers and set-up sweepers. It's a riskier play-style but generally rewards good prediction skills and aggressive play. Stall is the opposite, where generally you try to whittle down your opponent while minimizing damage against yourself. Balance is a little more complex than just Offensive + Stall together. It generally involves making a team that's constructed to face down every possible threat in the metagame, or atleast most of them, focused on a more fluid win-condition. I hope that makes sense.
Thanks for such a detailed reply! I've been using dual screens grimmsnarl on my team as well and I agree it's an incredible set, and I honestly lead with it more than Ribombee at this point because Cinderace and Hatterene are everywhere and make it such a pain to get webs up.

I like the sound of darm (presumably band?) and clef together, sounds truly obnoxious to deal with. Some others I've been thinking about are hatterene + drill and band dracovish + LO rotom-mow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)