Silliest in-game experiences / funny stories?

We've all had one of these. From my Nidoking paralyzing Lance's Gyarados with ThunderPunch to critting one Dragonite with Ice Punch to then freezing the second Dragonite in one attempt, we've all had our "what just happened?" moments.

There was also the time I found 1% Dunsparce before 5% Teddiursa in Crystal.

Topic might be a bit too broad but just post nonsensical in-game experiences.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
I already told this story in the gen 4 battle facilities thread, but I think it fits here so I'm just gonna paste it:
It's the fourth round of the Battle Factory, and my team is:
-Overheat Entei.
-Destiny Bond/Focus Sash Mismagius.
-Life Orb Honchkrow.
I'm told that my opponent is going to lead with a Pokémon that knows Rock Wrecker. Oh shit. That means it could be either Choice Band or Focus Band Rhyperior. Both of those eat two of my team members for breakfast, and the Focus Band set actually counters my entire team thanks to Crunch. The only trade that could potentially help here is a Quagsire, but even that's not going to be super great and I don't want to sacrifice any of my current team members for it. The best plan I can think of is to switch in my Mismagius turn 1, live whatever it throws at me with Focus Sash, then Destiny Bond it and go from there.

The battle begins. I switch to Mismagius and pray to God that my opponent isn't keeping another Rock Type in their back pocket.

It's the Choice Band variant, and it uses Hammer Arm.
I have since realized that I actually could have known which set it was before starting because only one Rhyperior set has Rock Wrecker in the top left slot, but I still think it's a funny story.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I think everything I've done for a few years belongs here because I let a comment on someone's Youtube video determine who I am. They (jokingly?) suggested playing Pokemon without Attacking. I laughed it off at first (obviously) then I thought about it later and realized it was possible, then I remembered it when I restarted Fire Red and never attacked again.

The first half of Pokemon Black with Status Moves Only could be called, "That one time I spent over 17 Hours training on Route 1... then 20 More Hours on Route 2... then challenged and lost to one trainer for over 10 Hours." I'm not sure why someone saw that and thought it would be fun to try, but someone did.

A few days ago I realized I unironically wanted a Defense Curl Pikachu for a serious (or serious as a moveset with that can be) reason. Sometimes you have to ask WTF are you thinking. The good news is I gave my sister her DS lite back, which means I can't use Emerald to get it, and I don't think anyone will go out of their way to help me with a random Gen 2/3 only move. I'll be "forced" to use the way better Magnezone as my Leppa Berry Recycle user in Restricted Sparing for Electric instead of Defense Curl/Charge/Rest/Recycle Alolan Raichu. Considering how much Calm Mind/Bulk Up Gallade struggled, I'm so glad I don't get to use a version with less bulk. I'm more than scared enough knowing I'll have to try Heatmor in Fire...

As for a Pokemon I could get, I wanted a Haze Stunky on Shield and couldn't look up what Stunky could breed with to get Haze as an Egg move at the time so I tried to find a glowing aura Stunky because a glowing aura means they'll have an egg move. An hour or so later I was able to find out that Wooper can pass Haze to Stunky and, needless to say, when I got back to playing Shield I kept looking for glowing aura Stunky without thinking because I was already doing that. By the time I realized that was stupid because catching a Wooper would be so much easier I felt like I was committed. It took about a week and I'm pretty sure I got every other Egg move first... I thought it was almost like Shiny Hunting and I think the game agreed because I got a Shiny Zigzagoon before a Haze Stunky! And I thought finding a Shiny Spinarak when looking for Heracross in the wrong area would always be my stupidest Shiny story...

I already shared this in another thread but i forgot which one

I was pretty nervous for the Ultra Necrozma fight. I heard horror stories about how difficult it would be...my Incineroar survived a Power Gem to the face twice, toughing it out so I wouldn't feel sad, and killed Necrozma with Darkest Lariat and Malicious Moonsault, and cemented him as my favorite starter I've used so far, and my favorite Pokemon I used in USUM

I also ran into a Snorlax while I was EV training my Regieleki, thought to myself "wouldn't it be funny if it were a shiny?" and boom, it was a Shiny. It also used Drain Punch and took away half my Leki's health and used Belly Drum after which scared the shit out of my because Regieleki was the only Pokemon I had in my party, but thankfully I was able to catch it.

Last edited:

MachineParadise

Banned deucer.
Probably the funniest thing to ever happen to me was when I was hunting for Legendaries in Ultra Moon and I happened upon not one, not two, not three, but four Shiny Quagsires in the process, and that was on top of the 12 other shinies I'd managed to accrue alone the way by complete accident.
In fact I had so many shinies I was able to use them as trade/dex fodder in whatever game I ported them to

I had a playthrough of HeartGold where in my first battle against Lance it came down to my level 40 Steelix versus his level 48 Aerodactyl. My Steelix had been bruised and battered by his Thunder Dragonite's Dragon Rushes, so was left with about one quarter of its HP against a full health Aerodactyl. I don't use healing items in battle by the way.

What proceeded was a very surreal situation of me using Curse enough to boost Iron Tail for a OHKO, and Aerodactyl hitting me with Aerial Ace for progressively less and less damage. This was already a horrible fight that I've complained about enough, but I couldn't believe it was coming down to this. It was like watching my victory dangle from a single strand of thread, as if I was tempting fate for one single critical hit Aerial Ace.

Eventually my strat worked and I won, but this felt like such a fitting, silly end to such a silly fight.

- Playing Silver for the first time, I had just beaten Chuck and gained access to Fly. But where do I get the Fly HM? I walk out of the Gym and speak to a woman right outside who happens to be Chuck's wife, and she gives me the HM!
- Later on in the same playthrough, I was wondering if it was possible to get the Rainbow Wing to get access to the Tin Tower. I then speak to a random NPC in Pewter City who gives me the Rainbow Wing.
- On my playthrough of SoulSilver, I ran into a 1% Yanma during the main game.
- In the Battle Subway in White, I had my Suicune out against a Slowking, which used Psychic and Suicune survived with exactly 1 HP left. If that hadn't happened, I would probably have lost that battle.

I probably have more but this was what I could think of right now.

When I was playing Silver for the first time, my team was...basically just one over-leveled Scyther and some HM users.
I somehow made it all the way to Lance, and was juuuust about to beat him, but he knocked out my Scyther with Hyper Beam.

He's on his final Pokemon, Dragonite, and it's only got a sliver of health left.

The only Pokemon I had in my party that could still fight was...a level 10 or so Togepi.

I've got a free turn since he needs to recharge, so I clicked on Metronome and hoped for the best.
Metronome calls Blizzard, and...I defeat the Champion with a crappy Pokemon I forgot I even had.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Both of these pertain to the Regis.

The first is when I completely by accident discovered the Sealed Chamber when I played Sapphire during my younger years. I was exploring the Water routes and came across this one spare Dive spot, and went in. I then saw this random Braille text. You know what I did? I didn't use the Internet to look up what it meant. I didn't have the handbook to translate them either. So what I did was I literally grabbed a dictionary that had a Braille translator in the back, and I literally grabbed a pencil and paper and transcribed all the Braille text in the Sealed Chamber, letter by letter. That's right: I didn't rely on the Internet at all, I literally transcribed everything with my own hands! It was such a fun little mystery that I felt like I was on my own little adventure with.

The second experience is when the Crown Tundra expansion of SwSh came out. I was having so much fun exploring the Tundra, all just after it released, without any Internet help to guide me. I explored the Regi chambers at one point, but before that the first thing I did after beating Peony upon entering the Tundra was catch a Cryogonal. See, I really like Cryogonal as a Pokémon, and they are a common spawn in the very first segment of the Tundra you get into, so the moment I laid eyes on a Cryogonal, I caught it.

So when I was doing the Regi hunt, I tried to figure out what each puzzle to open each door was. The Registeel one I did first, and I figured out all on my own that it was the whistle, and that was an awesome sense of discovery. Then I came to Regice's puzzle. The text on the door revealed itself as "Walk together with a living crystal of snow".

So I read it, and I was like "Okay, living crystal of snow?". And what was the first thing that came to mind? Incidentally, the first thing I came up with was Cryogonal. So I was like "Hey, maybe I'll grab that Cryogonal I caught last night and put it in the front of my team". So I did, and had Cryogonal walk with me, then read the text again, and before my eyes, the door opened. That was an amazing feeling of figuring things out, all on my own. I also figured out the Regirock puzzle all by myself, and that was so cool. See, doing the Crown Tundra first thing, before anything about it was posted online, was an amazing experience.

Especially after the Internet eventually revealed that many, many people couldn't figure out what the Regice puzzle was, especially what the "living crystal of snow" was, I feel incredibly accomplished in that I figured that puzzle out all on my own, with no help from anyone, just my own brain. I did the same with all the other Regis, and same with the other Crown Tundra quests too. Finding out those footprints were associated with the Swords of Justice also felt awesome.

But the Regis in particular are the ones I have had the most special experiences with. Platinum and BW2 also had cool ways of finding them, but especially in Hoenn and Galar it felt so cool discovering them and finding their puzzles. It's because of these amazing experiences of discovery and the mystery around them that the Regis are the most special legendaries to me, and my favorite legendary group ever.

I thought about this for a bit and remembered several more silly things which I have either done, or which have happened to me in various games.

In my first playthrough of Blue, I failed at going through Rock Tunnel. I did not have Flash, I did not know how to get it (or that it even existed), so I had to try to go through it blind. I remember that I reached the end, but I somehow didn’t find the exit, so I thought I had missed it or gone wrong somewhere. I then went back throughout the entire Tunnel again, eventually finding myself back at the beginning instead of reaching the end.

Later on in that playthrough, I failed to receive the Poké Flute from Mr. Fuji since my bag was full. My English wasn’t very good at that time, so I did not understand why I didn't get it (I am pretty sure I just missed it completely). I wasn’t sure how to continue, but I decided to try my best. I had been stuck at an earlier point in the game, and then I had mostly just stayed in the same areas without backtracking. Now, I decided to try something different. I explored everywhere I could go, biked around through all parts of Kanto that I could explore at that point. Eventually, I ended up talking to Mr. Fuji again without a full bag, and got the Poké Flute from him so I could wake up the Snorlax and proceed.

One more thing from my first playthrough of Silver. I encountered Sudowoodo, but since it was a roadblock Pokémon and there had been two Snorlax in Blue, I thought there would be at least two Sudowoodo in Silver. So I defeated the Sudowoodo, but since there wasn’t another one later on in the game, I never got to catch a Sudowoodo in that playthrough.

Let's fast forward a bit. Around ten years ago, I was chatting with a friend on a Pokémon Xat. I was wondering if he had any suggestions for a nickname for a Gyarados (then a Magikarp) which I was planning to raise on B/W. He suggested a nickname, but his keyboard derped and what he wanted to write became “Acuggalo”. I thought it was funny, so I decided to actually use that as the nickname for my Magikarp. Sadly, I don’t think I ever got around to actually raising that Magikarp, but I think I still have it in one of my games somewhere.

I also have another story about a different Magikarp in Gen 5. I was RNGing the gift Magikarp in Black 2, but I managed to screw up a bit as I had selected one seed for the IVs but another seed for the PID (which also had the correct IVs). Then I did my PID advancements, but I still got the Nature I wanted since it turned out that both of the seeds I used had the same Nature after the same number of advancements.

Next, some more stories from Battle Facilities. Last year, when I was trying to beat Super Multi at the Battle Subway in Gen 5, I met a lead consisting of Metagross and Krookodile. The Krookodile used Earthquake, damaging the Metagross. Then, the Metagross used Magnet Rise! My opponents had a nice strategy there, too bad they didn’t take the speed tiers into account.

Earlier this year, at the Battle Tower in Sword, I was playing Double, facing a Cramorant and Ludicolo. The Cramorant used Surf and caught a Pikachu in the process. The Ludicolo then also used Surf, damaging the Cramorant to the point that it fainted (it had taken heavy damage before) and fired its Pikachu Missile at the Ludicolo, which got paralyzed! That was hilarious.

Lastly, two battles against Leon (also in Double) where he tried to “predict” my next move by switching out one of his leads for Charizard. But this failed, since I used a different move compared to on the previous turn. In both battles, his Charizard got OHKO’d on the same turn as he sent it in, meaning that he never got to GMax it in either of these battles. So that made these battles rather unique.

Last edited:
One time I was farming for a shiny wooloo, the odds were in my favor. I farmed for the whole day, nothing.
I played the game a few weeks later (for the dlc) I went to postwick and randomly ran into a wooloo. Not intending to find a shiny, but that's what I found.
I'm confused why its appearance was so delayed, but who knows it could've been eating grass.
ddnxptj-9fec0332-b36b-4d50-84be-00bf00211e6d.gif

Pokemon FireRed. I had an electrifying experience which went like this:
>Electrode used Spark!
>Electabuzz got paralyzed!
>Electrode got paralyzed due to Static!
>Electrode can't move due to paralysis!
>Electabuzz can't move due to paralysis!
>Electrode used Screech! It missed!
>Electrode can't move due to paralysis!
I wasn't even mad, this was hilarious.

Rather basic story but I’ll go on.

When I was completing my SwordDex, I needed to catch a Sinistea, then evolve it into Polteageist. I already had a cracked pot to evolve it, so I went the the Glimwood Tangle and caught one and then tried to evolve it. To my surprise, it wasn’t compatible with the cracked pot and I was really confused as to why. Turns out, I managed to get a 1% chance antique Sinistea on my first run in trying to catch it.

I wasn’t about to farm to get a chipped pot just to evolve it so I went to catch another one. I don’t know how, but I managed to get ANOTHER antique Sinistea on my second catch and I was so dumbfounded. After that though, I just caught a cracked Sinistea and the very short lived streak of antique Sinistea’s came to an end.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
I remembered that one time where I had defeated Pike Queen Lucy by having my Gardevoir that Traced Seviper’s Shed Skin to absorb Shuckle’s Toxic as much as possible while I chip the Shuckle and spam Calm Mind. That left her Milotic vulnerable to Gardevoir Shock Wave (or was it Thunderbolt? It was really long ago), guaranteeing the Silver Pike Medal.

Shed Skin is acutally useful in-game, despite the luck-based aspect of it. Not enough to make Seviper to be viable in the long run, but it is certainly an interesting ability to use on a bulkier Pokémon.

Last edited:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Early on in my Alpha Sapphire nuzlocke-turned-casual-playthrough, I had caught a Wurmple as one of my first encounters in the game. It eventually became a Cascoon, meaning that at Level 10 I would have myself a Dustox. Fast forward a little bit to when Wormy (that was her original nickname) was on the verge of evolution. I ended up hitting the Exp. requirement to reach Level 10 in the same set of wild Pokémon battles where I got poisoned by some random Poison Sting at some point.

Usually, a Poison-Type Pokémon can't be afflicted with the Poison status condition, but as it turns out, evolving while under a status condition retains the status condition even after the Pokémon evolves. So there I was with a newly evolved Dustox afflicted with poison damage, since Silcoon and Cascoon don't change their type until after they evolve. :blobthumbsup:

Mario60866iPod13

Banned deucer.
I once had a horrendous epic fail using Wobbuffet on Pokemon Sapphire and then I never used Wobbuffet in a battle tower again!

I lost a 208 win streak without even losing because my Wobbuffet (with leftovers) was out in battle when another Wobbuffet (also with leftovers) was sent out by the opponent! I tried for literal hours to resolve the battle but by the time both of them used struggle neither could defeat the other! It left me with no recourse but to turn off my game and start up again to see my 208 wins out the window!

FUCK YOU WOBBUFFET!!! You'll always be a troublemaker in my eyes...

I believe this happened several years before today, not sure exactly when but it's safe to assume five or more years. It wasn't recent at all.
I'm At Mirage Island.png
Why not Wynauts mess with me too.png

UPDATE: Now Wynauts are messing with me at Mirage Island!!!
bruh.png
dammit.png
oh no not in the battle tower.png

Last edited:
I once had a horrendous epic fail using Wobbuffet on Pokemon Sapphire and then I never used Wobbuffet in a battle tower again!

I lost a 208 win streak without even losing because my Wobbuffet (with leftovers) was out in battle when another Wobbuffet (also with leftovers) was sent out by the opponent! I tried for literal hours to resolve the battle but by the time both of them used struggle neither could defeat the other! It left me with no recourse but to turn off my game and start up again to see my 208 wins out the window!

FUCK YOU WOBBUFFET!!! You'll always be a troublemaker in my eyes...
They had to make it so Pokemon with Shadow Tag could switch out if they were against another Pokemon with Shadow Tag. I'm pretty sure that's why they also made it so Struggle does 25% flat recoil

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
If I remember right, this situation is why Wobbuffet was banned from ADV OU all those years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)