Metagame Shared Power [Under Re-Construction!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Cheek Pouch + Harvest + Gluttony + Prankster needs to be looked at. This strategy takes actually 0 skill and is actually like a dumb version of moody tbh (when paired with a starf berry). All users can get +2 in any stat almost every turn, and to make things worse, Kyub goes through unaware, so no stalling this monster out. This strategy, though vastly underrated, packs a powerful punch, and even prepared teams struggle to take it down, especially if you add in the fact that stamina works with this strategy particularly well, due to the one counter being Skill Link and having a 40 or more PP move, which are usually low power and therefore unviable.

Furthermore, legitimately any pokemon can use this strategy, and still be somewhat good with it. With all of those abilites, stamina, and magic guard or unaware, this strategy is simply unbeatable except by PP stall, and even if you stall 1 pokemon, you have 5 more with identical sets ready in the back.

Thank you, and please look into this.

Hey,

I am new to this meta and just played my second game. I do have mold breaker on my team. I used stealth rock which got bounced back by magic bounce and I used earth power which got blocked by levitate. Both should have been countered by mold breaker. Do I miss something?

Here is the replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7sharedpower-699700880

And here is the team:

Xurkitree @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 12 HP / 248 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Energy Ball
- Volt Switch

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Conversion

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 24 SpA
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 12 HP / 248 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Basculin @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Zen Headbutt

Mimikyu @ Fairium Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
Hello and welcome to the metagame!

Mold Breaker and Teravolt cannot be shared among its team. So, on that team you posted, only Basculin can make use of Mold Breaker. It is still a great ability on those Pokemon that have it such as Kyurem-Black and Pangoro, though.

After battling a few rounds...

I honestly think there should be something done about Skill Link + Dazzling/ QM/ Psychic Surge + Sturdy.

A lot of those teams run Sturdy Mons with hard-hitting fast/ scarfed Mons and your own Priority doesn't do anything against it. If I run scarfed Mons my own, they have their Checks and worst is, if I knock out one of them, their Cloyster will set-up on my face, outspeed everything, break every Sash/ Sturdy/ Multiscale with Skill Link and not even Stamina will be able to deal with this due to Unaware...

I know, this Metagame is inherently broken, so we need broken Mons to check other broken ones. But I honestly think that some of it still needs some fixing. This whole Skill Link + Dazzling + Sturdy thing just came to be, because Multiscale + MG and -ate + Espeed were exploited. We let this happen just to see how it develops and at the peak of it, we now have these kinds of teams.

I honestly think, the Solution would be to stop the sharing of Multiscale, Sturdy and Skill Link. Sturdy + MG can only be countered by Mold Breaker and that ability cannot be shared. I think, the other abilities should be treated similarly.

I think that Cheek Pouch + Harvest + Gluttony + Prankster needs to be looked at. This strategy takes actually 0 skill and is actually like a dumb version of moody tbh (when paired with a starf berry). All users can get +2 in any stat almost every turn, and to make things worse, Kyub goes through unaware, so no stalling this monster out. This strategy, though vastly underrated, packs a powerful punch, and even prepared teams struggle to take it down, especially if you add in the fact that stamina works with this strategy particularly well, due to the one counter being Skill Link and having a 40 or more PP move, which are usually low power and therefore unviable.

Furthermore, legitimately any pokemon can use this strategy, and still be somewhat good with it. With all of those abilites, stamina, and magic guard or unaware, this strategy is simply unbeatable except by PP stall, and even if you stall 1 pokemon, you have 5 more with identical sets ready in the back.

Thank you, and please look into this.
I have used this strategy, and it's nowhere near unbeatable. First, you basically have to use all bad mons. Nothing good gets Harvest and nothing good gets Cheek Pouch. Gluttony is also harder to use, and the fact that Harvest can fail really lets you down. Also, any sash or sturdy mon beats it unless you're running Multiscale. Also, if you don't hit your opponent then they can't do anything. And since these strats often require Stored Power or Power Trip to beat Unaware, they usually have weaker moves. They need 1 to 2 moveslots for Sub and an optional Protect (increases the chance of getting Harvests), which gives them only 2 moves to hit you with. And yes, a Kyurem-Black could beat many counters, but with the prevelance of Skill Link this strategy still can lose. And don't forget that you also need Bruxish since Priority destroys this. Also, Moody is largely banned due to being able to give you Evasion.

This meta looks fun! But isn't the team below a little unbeatable?

Like, how do you beat Fluffy + Unaware + Regen? It even has Flash Fire so the opponent can't take advantage of Fluffy! You'd be inclined to use a special attacker to break through this, right? But Is there any Special Attacker Chansey doesn't wall without set up?

I think something has to be done to address this kind of team, cuz' it genuinely seems broken, before you say anything about Corrosion, keep in mind Chansey has Natural Cure, but even then, Poison Heal would also be a great option here. Mold Breaker is restricted, so it's impossible to ignore Unaware and Magic Bounce.

I know that this is all theorymonning, but I can't think of any broken strategy that would let me beat this type of team...
excadrill

um question motor drive and lightning rod seem to conflict with each other, with only motor drive kicking in when both should be. moxie and beast boost both work even with the same trigger so i dont see why lightning rod and motor drive shouldnt be the same way.

edit: i found after making this post that it is a 50/50 chance of one activating over the other which i still am wondering if that was intentional.
edit2: found the discord afterwards and reported it there as well so will just wait and see how it turns out.

Last edited:
Okay so...I know this is going to come across as complaining, whining, or anything you deem unprofessional...

...but I move to make a few bans on this meta.

Look, I know the whole goal of this meta is to essentially have a very chaotic meta with EXTREME applications, making or breaking your team basically by turn 2 in some cases. It's honestly insane how this meta goes from zero to 100 so fast.

But that being said, some things honestly have to be banned, and I don't think I'm alone on this opinion either.

1. Beast boost stacking.
I've run into this a couple of times and, combined with insane abilities like triage or moxie, or something of the like...essentially all a pokemon needs to do is KO the opponent just once and, having 2 pokemon with beast boost on their team, gets them 2 beast boost stat boosts. Intimidate is nerfed to only have one activation...why can beast boost activate twice? And the INSANE part about this is if the pokemon has equal stats. I saw an unfair combo where a guy used double beast boost on his galvantula, having same sp. attack and speed, and the beast boosts spread to both of the stats instead of just one. FOUR STAT BOOSTS!!! Simple fix...limit beast boost to one use, despite having two (or more) beast boost pokemon on the team.

2. Dragonite / Multi-scale.

Look, I like multi-scale just as much as the next guy but...for f*ck sakes, multi-scale on a pokemon like serperior and contrary guarantees chaos, it's obvious. Multi-scale is even easier to achieve if a pokemon with triage is on the team, guaranteeing that somebody like a mega gallade can always have his multi-scale active with a drain punch to get back to 100. Seriously...who though this was okay? If pokemon like Kyurem and all mold breaker pokemon cannot spread their abilities (yet still be usable, mind you), I vote that dragonite's ability in multi-scale be restricted.

3. Contrary...
I am up to HERE with f*cking contrary spamming teams. I can admit, I see the viable usage in contrary and I know why people want to use it...but you already have pokemon like victini (v-create), Kyurem (draco-meteor) and heck, let's face it...even the basic zangoose with a close combat, absolutely destroying teams. Seriously, this ability is beyond broken, spreading to pokemon that should not have it (again, emphasis more on victini's v-create, but I digress).

4. Iron Barbs / Rough Skin stacking.
...need I say more? I know these are more of the tame abilities in comparison to the other things I brought up in this list but...a simple physical hit on a pokemon with both of these abilities loses 24% instantly, losing 32% if the pokemon you just hit is using rocky helmet. Stall is okay, I know it's used and I use it as well...but there's absolutely no reason why it's fair to stack these abilities (along with an insanely broken item).

And finally...I just gotta say it...

5. Items.
I know this meta is not as serious or as toned as an actual event style game (i.e. the actual tournament level rules aren't usually applicable here), but there are some dastardly insane and broken strategies, given the ability sharing. I brought up in point number 4 that Iron Barbs and Rough Skin / Rocky helmet was a very broken combo...now imagine ALL 6 F*CKING POKEMON using rocky helmet. As mundane as that sounds (given the special pokemon who don't apply to this), there are no limits to the amount of items that a pokemon can use.

This, in turn, breaks the meta further because all 6 pokemon (depending on if they have a magic bounce pokemon) could have a focus sash and completely get away with it. All 6 pokemon could have scarf, with magic guard (ala Alakazam) and use insane moves like flare blitz, mind blown, double edge, and get away with absolutely wrecking your team. Hell, depending on if your team even has a way of countering this, all 6 pokemon could use prankster and starf berry / substitute / protect (and given that they would have a harvest pokemon, could restore the berry free of charge, and hell...cheek pouch restoring half the mon's HP upon eating said berry). Sadly, when it comes to the last strat, I know of it purely because my team was unequipped to deal with it. Aerodactyl lead with pressure to destroy your PP, sub and protect stall with starf berry, cheek pouch, harvest to gain it back purely based on rng. My team was 6-0d based on this one mon, alas.

That being said...despite my complaints, I do enjoy this meta. I am aware I am salty but these are legitimate complaints I'm bringing up, where the meta is completely unplayable without at least some fixes. Please, take these into consideration.

Okay so...I know this is going to come across as complaining, whining, or anything you deem unprofessional...

Look, I know the whole goal of this meta is to essentially have a very chaotic meta with EXTREME applications, making or breaking your team basically by turn 2 in some cases. It's honestly insane how this meta goes from zero to 100 so fast.

But that being said, some things honestly have to be banned, and I don't think I'm alone on this opinion either.

1. Beast boost stacking.
I've run into this a couple of times and, combined with insane abilities like triage or moxie, or something of the like...essentially all a pokemon needs to do is KO the opponent just once and, having 2 pokemon with beast boost on their team, gets them 2 beast boost stat boosts. Intimidate is nerfed to only have one activation...why can beast boost activate twice? And the INSANE part about this is if the pokemon has equal stats. I saw an unfair combo where a guy used double beast boost on his galvantula, having same sp. attack and speed, and the beast boosts spread to both of the stats instead of just one. FOUR STAT BOOSTS!!! Simple fix...limit beast boost to one use, despite having two (or more) beast boost pokemon on the team.

Look, I like multi-scale just as much as the next guy but...for f*ck sakes, multi-scale on a pokemon like serperior and contrary guarantees chaos, it's obvious. Multi-scale is even easier to achieve if a pokemon with triage is on the team, guaranteeing that somebody like a mega gallade can always have his multi-scale active with a drain punch to get back to 100. Seriously...who though this was okay? If pokemon like Kyurem and all mold breaker pokemon cannot spread their abilities (yet still be usable, mind you), I vote that dragonite's ability in multi-scale be restricted.

3. Contrary...
I am up to HERE with f*cking contrary spamming teams. I can admit, I see the viable usage in contrary and I know why people want to use it...but you already have pokemon like victini (v-create), Kyurem (draco-meteor) and heck, let's face it...even the basic zangoose with a close combat, absolutely destroying teams. Seriously, this ability is beyond broken, spreading to pokemon that should not have it (again, emphasis more on victini's v-create, but I digress).

...need I say more? I know these are more of the tame abilities in comparison to the other things I brought up in this list but...a simple physical hit on a pokemon with both of these abilities loses 24% instantly, losing 32% if the pokemon you just hit is using rocky helmet. Stall is okay, I know it's used and I use it as well...but there's absolutely no reason why it's fair to stack these abilities (along with an insanely broken item).

5. Items.
I know this meta is not as serious or as toned as an actual event style game (i.e. the actual tournament level rules aren't usually applicable here), but there are some dastardly insane and broken strategies, given the ability sharing. I brought up in point number 4 that Iron Barbs and Rough Skin / Rocky helmet was a very broken combo...now imagine ALL 6 F*CKING POKEMON using rocky helmet. As mundane as that sounds (given the special pokemon who don't apply to this), there are no limits to the amount of items that a pokemon can use.

This, in turn, breaks the meta further because all 6 pokemon (depending on if they have a magic bounce pokemon) could have a focus sash and completely get away with it. All 6 pokemon could have scarf, with magic guard (ala Alakazam) and use insane moves like flare blitz, mind blown, double edge, and get away with absolutely wrecking your team. Hell, depending on if your team even has a way of countering this, all 6 pokemon could use prankster and starf berry / substitute / protect (and given that they would have a harvest pokemon, could restore the berry free of charge, and hell...cheek pouch restoring half the mon's HP upon eating said berry). Sadly, when it comes to the last strat, I know of it purely because my team was unequipped to deal with it. Aerodactyl lead with pressure to destroy your PP, sub and protect stall with starf berry, cheek pouch, harvest to gain it back purely based on rng. My team was 6-0d based on this one mon, alas.

That being said...despite my complaints, I do enjoy this meta. I am aware I am salty but these are legitimate complaints I'm bringing up, where the meta is completely unplayable without at least some fixes. Please, take these into consideration.

Honorary #6 over here...

6. No f*cking struggle stalling.

This one should be obvious but I just found this one out, fighting a guy who has essentially gone undefeated. His team consisted of:

Snorlax: Immunity
Torkoal: Drought
Trevenant: Harvest
Muk: Sticky Hold
Dedenne: Cheek Pouch
Quagsire: Unaware

All 6 damn pokemon had sitrus berry

Look, I know stall exists in all metas, it's part of the f*cking job description. But that being said, my only chance against this guy was to stall myself. We fought for a 200 turn fight, upon 212, his PP ran out, I had just a few PP left on my Toxapex (just a few baneful bunkers and stockpiles). As he struggled...his f*cking cheek pouch literally restored his health faster than he was losing it, essentially meaning he got off 2 struggles absolutely free. If he wished, he could swap off for another struggling pokemon just to reset the drought to make harvest 100% accurate. Knock off is useless against sticky hold, setting up is impossible with unaware. He literally killed me with struggle.

This is unfair, you have to admit. Absolutely unfair.

1. Beast boost stacking.

3. Contrary...

5. Items.

1. Beast Boost does not stack. Want proof? Here:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7sharedpower-236727 Now, if on the main server this is glitched, please post a replay of it.

2. Multiscale has already been suggested for a ban. However, as of right now I don't believe there are any plans to ban it. There are many counters such as Skill Link, Mold Breaker, and just hitting hard. Or stall.

3. Contrary is not broken in anyway. Unaware beats it, Haze beats it, outspeeding beats it, etc.

4. Run Magic Guard.

5. Items don't share. Mind Blown Magic Guard exists and is powerful, but in no way unbeatable. If that wrecks your team then make a new team. I covered Starf Berry teams in a previous post, and there are counters.

And now for your second post.

6. Struggle stall is necessary. There are far worse struggle teams, and if that guy is actually running Immunity Snorlax with Sitrus Berries then I have to laugh. Or you're mistaken and he's running Gluttony+Aguav. If he switches you have an opportunity to kill him, so that strategy is totally unviable. Besides, that team doesn't even have Mguard, so hazards would wreck it. That is not broken in any way shape or form.

I have used this strategy, and it's nowhere near unbeatable. First, you basically have to use all bad mons. Nothing good gets Harvest and nothing good gets Cheek Pouch. Gluttony is also harder to use, and the fact that Harvest can fail really lets you down. Also, any sash or sturdy mon beats it unless you're running Multiscale. Also, if you don't hit your opponent then they can't do anything. And since these strats often require Stored Power or Power Trip to beat Unaware, they usually have weaker moves. They need 1 to 2 moveslots for Sub and an optional Protect (increases the chance of getting Harvests), which gives them only 2 moves to hit you with. And yes, a Kyurem-Black could beat many counters, but with the prevelance of Skill Link this strategy still can lose. And don't forget that you also need Bruxish since Priority destroys this. Also, Moody is largely banned due to being able to give you Evasion.
I don't know if you saw my previous post, but using this strategy I have laddered to the 9th spot on the ladder. My team did not use Dazzling but instead relied on pure physical bulk with unaware and constant healing to beat Skill Link, Triage, and Aerilate. https://pokepast.es/208e881c9f5e561f
Any difficult matchups usually came down to harvest luck, which is the definition of uncompetitive. Furthermore, none of the games I played with this team required substantial thought. I seriously think this strat should be banned.

I don't know if you saw my previous post, but using this strategy I have laddered to the 9th spot on the ladder. My team did not use Dazzling but instead relied on pure physical bulk with unaware and constant healing to beat Skill Link, Triage, and Aerilate. Furthermore, none of the games I played with this team required substantial thought. I seriously think this strat should be banned.
Without Dazzling or Queenly Majesty I don't know how you didn't die to Priority. However, this is a legitimate strategy that could be looked at. I still do believe that it's not broken due to lack of team slots and counters, as well as the weakness of the mons used.

Yeah, Harvest + Pouch is kinda just a thing you have to keep an eye out for. If you're super worried about it, pack knock off. It may not work behind a substitute, but would at least save you in those situations where you're getting hit with Struggle and not making any progress. I'd support a starf berry ban but I think berry spam itself isn't a broken playstyle, just one that catches a lot of people off-guard since it's not as prepared for as more common archetypes. There's also the option of running Hyper Voice + Refrigerate KyuB, or just sound moves in general.

Alternatively, and since you brought up Aerodactyl; why aren't people talking about Aerodactyl more? Conventional wisdom is that Unnerve isn't worth using because it's dead weight against non berry teams, but Aero being able to mega-evolve to lend it's team Tough Claws in the event of a non-berry team is a big utility. It also outruns and gets super effective STAB coverage on M-Bee and Cloyster, meaning it has serious uses against Skill Link teams as well.

Without Dazzling or Queenly Majesty I don't know how you didn't die to Priority. However, this is a legitimate strategy that could be looked at. I still do believe that it's not broken due to lack of team slots and counters, as well as the weakness of the mons used.
Pangoro and Conkeldurr lose easily to Trevenant without Scrappy. With Scrappy, which is rare, Swalot 1v1s them easily as well. By the time Knock Off is relevant, Kyurem would have so many boosts I don't see how it wouldn't auto win. I have detailed in an earlier post how this team usually beats most teams including priority teams.

1. Beast Boost does not stack. Want proof? Here:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rom-gen7sharedpower-236727 Now, if on the main server this is glitched, please post a replay of it.

2. Multiscale has already been suggested for a ban. However, as of right now I don't believe there are any plans to ban it. There are many counters such as Skill Link, Mold Breaker, and just hitting hard. Or stall.

3. Contrary is not broken in anyway. Unaware beats it, Haze beats it, outspeeding beats it, etc.

4. Run Magic Guard.

5. Items don't share. Mind Blown Magic Guard exists and is powerful, but in no way unbeatable. If that wrecks your team then make a new team. I covered Starf Berry teams in a previous post, and there are counters.

And now for your second post.

6. Struggle stall is necessary. There are far worse struggle teams, and if that guy is actually running Immunity Snorlax with Sitrus Berries then I have to laugh. Or you're mistaken and he's running Gluttony+Aguav. If he switches you have an opportunity to kill him, so that strategy is totally unviable. Besides, that team doesn't even have Mguard, so hazards would wreck it. That is not broken in any way shape or form.
1. I cannot post a replay of something I already left, I decided to make this post far after the fact as this happened yesterday.

2. Skill link does not fix this, mold breaker is far from the solution as not many people run mold breaker (due to the fact it does not spread). Stall is risky as set up from a multi-scale (anything with this ability) is inevitable.

3. Contrary is extremely broken, only one ability countering it being unaware does not fix anything. Outspeeding does not matter versus priority, dazzling running everywhere.

4. Not an option on some teams.

5. There are no damn counters to item spam.

6. Struggle stall is not necessary, it's over powered. All 6 pokemon ran sitrus berry. I could be mistaken about immunity (I did not run toxic on this one team, my bad, I'll admit). Setting up with spikes or rocks is not worth it due to magic guard users everywhere, meaning running it is purely for this one team (which you cannot account for when you click to fight on random).

There are zero teams that offer 100% coverage and most teams struggle to get a good 50/50 going in, this meta is already chaotic. Making nerfs at the very least gives the chance for equal chances going in. I am going to defend that these are points that have to be addressed.

1. Beast boost stacking.
You might have the second beast boost mixed up with soul heart/moxie. Its possible for someone to run an ultra beast, a magearna, and a salamence/gyarados/heracross/etc. and get half a shell smash per KO if they beast boost speed. Is this what you're referring to?

Yeah, Harvest + Pouch is kinda just a thing you have to keep an eye out for. If you're super worried about it, pack knock off. It may not work behind a substitute, but would at least save you in those situations where you're getting hit with Struggle and not making any progress. I'd support a starf berry ban but I think berry spam itself isn't a broken playstyle, just one that catches a lot of people off-guard since it's not as prepared for as more common archetypes. There's also the option of running Hyper Voice + Refrigerate KyuB, or just sound moves in general.

Alternatively, and since you brought up Aerodactyl; why aren't people talking about Aerodactyl more? Conventional wisdom is that Unnerve isn't worth using because it's dead weight against non berry teams, but Aero being able to mega-evolve to lend it's team Tough Claws in the event of a non-berry team is a big utility. It also outruns and gets super effective STAB coverage on M-Bee and Cloyster, meaning it has serious uses against Skill Link teams as well.
IIRC you cannot Knock the Item off, if the user has Sticky Hold (at least it didn't work for me).

My problem came from the fact that the guy had sticky hold, so knock off didn't work. He essentially got away with pretty much anything he wanted to do. I'll admit I should have had hazards, but too many magic bounce pokemon run around to even warrant stealth rocks, toxic, spikes, anything.

You might have the second beast boost mixed up with soul heart/moxie. Its possible for someone to run an ultra beast, a magearna, and a salamence/gyarados/heracross/etc. and get half a shell smash per KO if they beast boost speed. Is this what you're referring to?
No, two beast boost pokemon were ran on this guy's team, and the chat explicitely stated two beast boost stat increases.

No, two beast boost pokemon were ran on this guy's team, and the chat explicitely stated two beast boost stat increases.
So two ultra beasts can give the same effect as one + a magearna? If that's the case, maybe try testing a team with two UBs yourself then get a replay from that, if you don't already have one - especially if that's a bug exclusive to the main server.

Alright so:

Prankster/Cheek Pouch/Dazzling/Harvest with Starf Berry and Substitute/Protect is Moody 2.0, and doesn't even have the drawback of reducing one of your stats per turn. You cannot break the cycle. You cannot use priority outside of Mold Breaker Pangoro to fuck with the substitute timing, and even that doesn't work against Trevenant unless you also have Scrappy.

There are three things that destroy this team: Skill Link, Unaware Stall and anything running sound attacks or taunt. Against anything other than these you turn the game into a pure RNGfest - whether or not Harvest fails a bunch of turns in a row, what stat boosts you get, and whether or not a lucky crit breaks your cycle after you run out of substitute PP. And even if these things do happen, since the overall odds are not that bad in the long run, you still have 5 other pokemon that can do the same exact shit, thanks to the very wide availability of Substitute/Protect. You can also PP stall many offensive teams completely out of PP with this technique. Due to the enforced randomness of the playstyle and the inability for the opponent to have meaningful counterplay, I believe that this playstyle is UNCOMPETITIVE and may require a targeted ban.

Now, Skill Link and stall are both very popular in this meta game, so you might think that this is not banworthy. But do note that I have only mentioned 4 abilities in the header. This represents the 'core requirements' of the playstyle, and there are a variety of Pokemon in the last two slots which can heavily mitigate the issues this team has.

First and foremost is Stamina, which, as we know, is very effective against non-Unaware Skill Link. Running Mudsdale in one of your two nonessential slots gives you a slightly better matchup against Skill Link, to the point where you might not get 6-0'd. It is still by no means a good, or even competitive matchup, but it does let you survive the first hit and get some surprise KOs to even the odds. Full HP/Defense investment on literally every single Pokemon is highly recommended if you intend to run Stamina, and if you're serious about not instantly clicking X vs Skill Link teams, you should be running Klefki as your Prankster Pokemon as it deals effectively with most Skill Link users. Both Thunder Wave/Foul Play and Subtect/Starf Berry are viable options for Klefki.

Next is Mold Breaker. Running a Mold Breaker on the team makes the matchup against Offensive Unaware a lot easier, though it still loses to full PP stall since it is hard to get boosts when your substitute doesn't die, and you don't apply enough pressure on stall to stop them from constantly rotating until you run out of PP. But Cheek Pouch recovery gives you enough healing to rotate around rocks and TSPikes indefinitely as well, which can turn matches into contests of patience.

Next up is Magic Bounce. This is occasionally useful against offense, and very good against the very rare Taunts in the meta, but it also turns stall into contests of who gets bored first, as most Stall teams cannot do 33% of your health in a direct attack per turn, allowing you to rotate around indefinitely with Cheek Pouch recovery. About as stupid as it sounds.

A gimmick to deal with sound attacks like Scrappy Boomburst is Soundproof. It also deals with Taunts, which is very useful. Would not recommend using as neither sound attacks nor Taunts are particularly common in a meta filled with Magic Bounce and Contrary boosting, but it's here.

Finally we have Pressure, which is just stupid IMO, but effective. Remember Vincune, which Sub/Protect stalls teams very effectively using Pressure to run opponents out of attacks that can damage it? Now imagine 6 of them with enough recovery to stall out the full 32 turns of substitute and protect. Considering that I've stalled Contrary Offense out of Kyurem and Victini PP without pressure, it can get really silly against offensive teams.

I have written this with the intent of convincing the Shared Power tier leaders that this is both a viable and an uncompetitive playstyle, and I believe that there should be a ban targeted at the playstyle, either banning Starf Berry or getting rid of Dazzling/Queenly Majesty which enable this playstyle to exist.

Some replays to demonstrate how the team works and how to deal with teams lacking Dazzling:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7sharedpower-699356182 - My first battle against one of these teams, which inspired me to build a foolproof version. Quick Attack and Extremespeed come in clutch here.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7sharedpower-699370565 - 107 turn battle where I slowly but surely stall out a Contrary Pinsir and the one substitute Victini in existence.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7sharedpower-699376186 - Slightly higher on the ladder, this time up against a Toxic Boost/Guts team.
one unaware cloyster 6 0 this team

one unaware cloyster 6 0 this team
I laddered to number 9 on the ladder with this strategy and beat many unaware cloysters. Physdef Klefki can eat several hits through berry recovery and 2hko cloyster. Kyub lives one rock blast from full and can kill back through sturdy. Prankster Thunder Wave or Destiny Bond can cripple or remove it.
+1 252+ Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Klefki: 105-125 (33.2 - 39.5%) -- approx. 10.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Found an issue with gale wings + aerilate. It works for pinsir, but won’t work for dragonite or aerodactyl. It applies the type effectiveness correctly (super effective against fighting types for example) however it doesn’t snag the priority it should from gale wings

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7sharedpower-699792010
As has been pointed out a few times, Gale Wings gets checked before Aerilate so it doesn’t recognize Normal moves as Flying. This is intentional/accurate to the cart.

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
Found an issue with gale wings + aerilate. It works for pinsir, but won’t work for dragonite or aerodactyl. It applies the type effectiveness correctly (super effective against fighting types for example) however it doesn’t snag the priority it should from gale wings

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7sharedpower-699792010
This has been addressed several times before, Gale Wings checks before Aerilate, so it only works for Originally Flying Moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)