serious coronavirus thread

Since the OP is suggesting that American politics is within the bounds of discussion of this thread, here is a moderate take on the Trump administration and the government’s response to the pandemic, as sort of a carry-over of some of the discussion in the primary salt tread. I haven’t been soaking up as much information as I can in real time about COVID-19, so this is all subject to change.

Deck Knight was saying on the other thread that Trump was doing a great job, but I think that is overselling. His point was that the administration has been taking appropriate actions and meeting expectations in terms of Trump’s policy, and while I agree that the policy has been satisfactory, half the job in situations like this is clear communication and coordination, which has been a serious mess. It is true that part of the media immediately went after Trump about the virus in an exaggerated way, but Trump’s initial outrage about it was counterproductive and justifiably gave the entire media a negative headline to run about him, while further politicizing the issue for the media in general, which doesn’t cut in Trump’s favor or encourage a healthy national discussion. Add that to the mess of a speech, with miscommunications and errors, that he gave the other day, and that’s enough to get a low rating score from me as far as his “public leadership figurehead” role is concerned.

But I also wouldn’t go so far as some others would in their criticism of Trump‘s handling of the virus. Some pin the general inefficiency of the government’s practical response to the virus on Trump, but I think that the fault lies in the inefficiency of large governments in general; the lackluster government handling of the virus seems to be a worldwide trend. Matters of policy that are under the administration’s direct control, such as travel regulations, have been about as good as can be expected, so it’s not all doom-and-gloom here in America just because Trump is president.

I’m still open to hearing more facts as they come, however. And I don’t want this all to be about politics. Right now, the community college that I’m attending is moving us all from lectures to online class work for the next three weeks at least, so coronavirus is changing the lifestyle where I’m at and I’m interested to hear what is going on for the rest of you.

Wait, so small companies can request assistance from the gov for paid leave? That's actually pretty good news if true even if the coverage doesn't extend to every business at least it's a start. I work at a family business that's super small so I should tell my boss

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Wait, so small companies can request assistance from the gov for paid leave? That's actually pretty good news if true even if the coverage doesn't extend to every business at least it's a start. I work at a family business that's super small so I should tell my boss
It sounds like the small business can seek exemption from having to pay paid leave, not that they'll get money from the govt to do so. If so, you're just fucked.

It sounds like the small business can seek exemption from having to pay paid leave, not that they'll get money from the govt to do so. If so, you're just fucked.
Oh lmao I should've known it was too good to be true. Sucks cuz I work with a lot of people working two jobs living paycheck to paycheck who literally can't afford to miss a week of work let alone two weeks to a month.

I work in retail/grocery and thankfully big businesses such as these are not only not cutting hours but giving plenty of overtime at the moment. Although, I don't know how long it will last.

I work as a stocker and after leaving yesterday we had so much stock that we were getting lots of workers from other departments just to keep up with it. If anyone works at around $11/12 an hour, now would be the time to switch over to large retail/grocery stores since this COVID-19 is supposed to last for several months, peaking around May I heard, but that's just conjecture. I need to do more research.

But yeah, not to drag anyone down a rabbit hole, but has anyone honestly asked themselves where all the money goes and who this all benefits?

At my particular store we have already doubled our profit within these last three months than we did all of last year....this is the big one ya'll. So yeah getting hours and overtime is apparently gonna be an issue. But then again, you have to worry about the virus.

If anyone wants a serious coversation, I'm open to learning as many details as I can to figuring this thing out and finding various solutions (peace of mind and positivity).

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
My university just cancelled all face to face instruction for the rest of the semester. I want to cry right now.

While we are all performing self-quarantine, now would be a great time to contact your friends and establish some regular internet-based social connection. I've been working on that idea a little bit myself, trying to round my IRL friends up into a Discord server so that we can talk but also play games.

Some good ongoing games that you can all play together a little bit a day but individually on your own time include:
Supremacy1914 - A browser-based real-time-strategy website game that is basically Risk (the board game) but with an emphasis on resource management. Kind of hard to set up a private game with your friends unless you already have an established account, though. (https://www.supremacy1914.com/)
Mafia / Any game that can be played on a forum (See: Circus Maximus) - You can also get Discord bots to run games like these.

Some good internet games that you can plan as an event at a specific time:
Town of Salem - Basically Mafia, but played all at once in less than half an hour. (https://www.blankmediagames.com/)
Surviv.io - Battle royal, agar.io style. (www.surviv.io)
A little site called Pokémon Showdown... Doubt you've heard of it, though.

I wanted to try some of these with my friends, but I've only been able to round up 4 of my ~6 IRL friends :(
Shoot me a response if you have any good free-to-play web games that are good for playing with friends!

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
This is not anything to joke about. It's a very serious epidemic.

It's not just in America or China either. It's also in places such as Europe and Russia. It's having a big effect on how we can live our lives. For instance, say you're someone in middle school or high school right now, or college. If you're one of those people, then you simply aren't going there. For some, that's good, for others... Not so much. It's also having an effect on other places too. Restaurants cannot be entered, instead, you must go through the drive through. It's also having a big effect on what we can buy and how much of it we can buy. Heck, in some states you can't even leave your house unless it's to get stuff for you to survive!

Thankfully, President Trump has made all sorts of recommendations and other stuff to help deal with these problems. China is also dealing with these problems. Though we all know it's their fault this serious epidemic is happening at all... Needless to say though, until it was a lot harder for me to be able to have stuff, I tried avoiding any discussion of this I possibly could. Oh how I regretted such...

Overall though, just wash your hands and don't go out in public much. That's a surefire way to avoid this. That is, if you didn't even know that already... But anyways, I'd hate for any of you reading this die or simply get infected from it. I hope that this gets fixed soon. Now... In the meantime... Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm sitting in a small parking lot waiting for a doctor to come out of the building to approach my car. They are going to quiz me on my symptoms to see if they will bother testing me or not. We're all just sitting in our cars doing nothing. I've been waiting about 40 minutes so far. We'll see how this goes!

EDIT: They took me in after about an hour and a half. I sat inside a room for about 30 more min and the doc tells me I have bronchitis lol

Last edited:

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
I'm sitting in a small parking lot waiting for a doctor to come out of the building to approach my car. They are going to quiz me on my symptoms to see if they will bother testing me or not. We're all just sitting in our cars doing nothing. I've been waiting about 40 minutes so far. We'll see how this goes!

EDIT: They took me in after about an hour and a half. I sat inside a room for about 30 more min and the doc tells me I have bronchitis lol
Crap looks like this whole virus going on is even worse than I thought... And you ended up having Bronchitis? Well that stinks. Hope you can manage it without much issues

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
+1 to the bronchitis crew

I fell under the weather cause I work in the finance industry and was being woken up at 2:30-3 AM every morning for about two weeks for crisis checks, lack of sleep compromised my immune system

Fortunately I've had bronchitis before and was able to isolate the symptoms after a couple days but its quite concerning at first. Everyone saying if you're sick don't be concerned unless you have a cough and of course coughing is the main symptom and one that persists as the brachioles heal

+1 to the bronchitis crew

I fell under the weather cause I work in the finance industry and was being woken up at 2:30-3 AM every morning for about two weeks for crisis checks, lack of sleep compromised my immune system

Fortunately I've had bronchitis before and was able to isolate the symptoms after a couple days but its quite concerning at first. Everyone saying if you're sick don't be concerned unless you have a cough and of course coughing is the main symptom and one that persists as the brachioles heal
That's exactly what was freaking me out in the first place. And a sore throat, but my doc thinks it's just from the excess coughing the past week.

And it's killing over 1,000 people per day now. So that just adds to the fear.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
While I'm not disbelieving the seriousness of this whole mess, I question just how necessary some of the social restrictions are. Hospitals and grocery stores can't close, parents still have to attend to their children, people still need some baseline level of social interaction for their own mental health. It's not like we can individually all cut ourselves off from one another. Yet many people are afraid to leave their homes and some regional governments are even mandating such a lockdown. It's a little ridiculous, there has to be a better balance of precaution with minimizing disruption to people's daily lives if not the greater functioning of society.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
at this point ive p much accepted im gonna get the virus, i figure oregon is a few weeks behind areas like ny but that we're gonna get there anyway. im an essential healthcare worker so im not able to avoid getting it in all likelihood. at this point all u can do is not leave ur house as much as u can. if you minimize the spread of the disease the hospitals will be less overwhelmed. just dont go out to places where ppl gather, not even parks. try to go to grocery stores that limit the number of ppl allowed in doors at one time.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Oh boy now I know shit just got real... So I was looking at good and reliable sources of information, and it said that many schools across the United States will be shut down all the way until May... And it's only March at the moment! If they're delaying school returning for that long, then this must be... True danger. It's only going to be even worse considering that if it's that much of an issue, then groceries are going to get scarce... I swear though, I have a feeling this is going to get recorded in world history and that the children will end up being taught this one day. Thanks for screwing over the world, China. No not really, that was sarcasm!

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Eh so here, we’re still able to do takeaway and delivery of food, just not actual restaurant service and dine in, so thankfully my job is practically unaffected. All the pubs and clubs closing down is actually gonna save me a lot of money over the coming weeks so I mean I’m kinda happy about this in some way.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Saving money is overall far from a positive. The fact that people can't go to work and are saving money is in fact causing an economic crisis, which is something we'll be feeling the effects of for years to come, I'm guessing under some form of Corona tax.
The only true upside I can think of is the fact that the enviroment is left to flourish for a while, though it'll probably be neglected again when everyone's focus will be on the oncoming crisis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)