Sceptile N' Friends

Hey everyone! This is my second RMT on Smogon, this time I got an RU Team here. After playing around with this team for a while, I have finally made a team that I am happy with in a tier that has some of my all time favorite pokemon in it. This is also my first time playing around with Sceptile, and let me tell you: I am not dissapointed with how he plays, and the I love the set that I use for him. So without further adieu, I give you:

SCEPTILE N' FRIENDS

This team is my first attempt at making an RU Team. This team has pretty good synergy with each other, with Sceptile being the star of the team. I've gone as far as making him a movie star just so when he comes in on my team, a star pops up on him. With little support from Smeargle, I've had Sceptile Sweep teams for a 6-0 or 5-0 victory (usually 5-0, however, just so I can bring Sceptile in safely). The other members of this team, however, are able to set up support for Sceptile before he goes on his sweeping rampage. Overall, it is a very fun team to play with.

THE TEAM AT A GLANCE

TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

I wanted to build a team around using the pokemon Sceptile. I've heard that his unburdened sets were very hard to take down once they
started going, but after using it in action, I was blown away. However, I use a different set than most people are ready for on him.

In my mind, Smeargle is the best lead in todays RU and UU Metagame. He is able to spore, set up rocks, and there have been a few
ocassions where i've been able to get all 3 layers of spikes up. Smeargle was a no brainer.

Mandibuzz was my next choice. She would be my special wall, phaser, just all around annoyance. The two bird pokemon are two of my
favorite pokemon from Gen V, but I felt like Mandibuzz would be more of a fit on this team than if I were to use Braviary.

Alomomola was my wish passer/physical wall. With his massive health, and access to wish, as well as the water coverage, using him was a no-brainer.

Entei was my choice for a physical sweeper. His power, bulk, and speed, along with his fire typing, made him a very clear choice for this team.

Finally, I decided to have Spiritomb on the team. with all the hazards up, I needed a good spin blocker for my team. I also decided to use Spiritomb
because hey, no weaknesses! Overall I'm very pleased with him on the team.

Okay so I thought that having Mandibuzz on the team was a better fit than Braviary. Well...I was wrong. Bulk Up Braviary fits on this team much better than a
phasing Mandibuzz set. Entei was also changed out for Electivire, because he provided much needed coverage from electric sweepers
like Manetic, as well as coverage for Sceptile, Alomomola, and Braviary.

THE TEAM
*Note: Any change in teams is Bolded*

Trait: Own Tempo
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
Spore
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Magic Coat

Why Smeargle?: Smeargle is by far one of the best leads in the game. With his ability to set up entry hazards quickly and reliably, I have always found him to be a great choice. It's a standard set up set, except I had changed out Whirlwind for Magic Coat. I find this more helpful to bounce taunts and status back to the user, as well as the occasional toxic spikes and other hazards. Smeargle has yet to dissapoint me on this team or any team i've used him on. Overall, he is one of the most reliable pokemon that I have ever played with.
Synergy:
:
(Brave Bird)

Trait: Unburden
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
Substitute
Giga Drain
Focus Blast
Hidden Power [Rock]

Why Sceptile?: Sceptile is a pokemon that I've wanted to use for a while now, but until recently I hadn't really played RU. Now that I have and I've started using him, he has quickly become one of my favorite pokemon. This set is based around getting a boost from both Unburdened and the Petaya berry, subbing up until you are at low enough health to gain the boost and the unburdened speed boost. Giga Drain helps regain your health while Focus Blast and HP Rock are for coverage when he starts sweeping. However, you have to get Pokemon such as Amoongus, who could threaten him out, taken care of beforehand.
Synergy:
:
(EQ)
:
(Brave Bird),
(HP Rock)
:
(Wild Charge),
(HP Rock)
:
(Cross Chop),
(HP Rock, Focus Blast)
:
(Wall, Waterfall),
(EQ),
(HP Rock)

/

Trait: Defiant
EVs: 176 SDef / 252 HP / 80 Spd
Careful Nature
Substitute
Bulk Up
Roost
Brave Bird

Why Braviary?: Ah yes, the eagle. This guy is one of my favorite Pokemon in the metagame today, and not only for sheer looks. His Specially defensive set is something that i use even in OU, with mixed results. However, in RU, it really shines as one of the premier sets. It's a standard Sub Bulk Up set, except i've given him 80 speed. This extra speed allows him to outspeed other Braviary. This set is also my main Amoonguss check.
Synergy:
:
(Absorb, EQ)
:
(Cross Chop),
(HP Rock, Focus Blast)
:
(Giga Drain, Focus Blast),
(Cross Chop, EQ), Alomomola (Waterfall)

Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
Wish
Waterfall
Toxic
Protect

Why Alomomola?: Alomomola, other than being a palindrome, is a very bulky ass pokemon. This set right here is a very standard Smogon set, but for good reason. This Pokemon pretty much yells to physical attackers "Give me your best fucking shot!" and takes it like it's nothing. This set is by far the best set you can run, and it is probably the only really Viable set in the game. Waterfall is used over Scald for power and flinching chance.
Synergy:
:
(Absorb, EQ)
:
(Brave Bird),
(Ice Punch)

Trait: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
Wild Charge
Ice Punch
Earthquake
Cross Chop

Why Electivire?: Electivire is my savior on my team. Any defensive hole that could be exploited has pretty much just been covered by Electivire. He covers both my walls (Braviary and Alomomola) as well as my main sweeper (Sceptile), all while having the ability to sweep himself. So, the guys has a Manetric? Bring in Electivire and EQ. He has Amoongus? Take it out with an Ice Punch! Rock type comes in on Braviary? Cross Chop! It's incredible how one dimensional Electivire is, but it's also amazing how incredibly effective that one dimension is. After a few suggestions and tests, I found that this set actually has the best synergy with the team. It's the standard Smogon set, but why mess with what works?
Synergy:
:
(Giga Drain),
(Waterfall)

/

Trait: Pressure
EVs: 8 Spd / 252 HP / 196 Atk / 52 SDef
Adamant Nature

Foul Play
Pain Split
Will-O-Wisp
Pursuit

Why Spiritomb?: Besides being the only Pokemon with no weakness without the aid of an ability, Spiritomb is a great spinblocker, curser, and pursuit trapper. he is able to take out pokemon who want to spin my hazards away, as well as deal a heafty amount of damage to anything that wants to attack him and anything that wants to get out of his way. His EV's and Moves guarantee that he can take a hit, but can also dish out a hit when he needs to. Curse are for threats that don't want to leave, and Will-O-Wisp are for burning shenanigans. The 8 EV's into speed can guarantee he'll be able to outspeed any defensive Ghost type in the RU Metagame. I changed the set to have no priorty, but it takes out Physical Attackers, and it's a great check to Pokemon such as Cincinno.
Synergy:
Oh, look at that, no weaknesses! He can just come in on anything and pretty much take the hit like a boss. He can then dish out a lot of damage if he wants to.

Importable
Code:
Smeargle (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Magic Coat

Sceptile (M) @ Petaya Berry
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Braviary @ Leftovers
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 176 SDef / 252 HP / 80 Spd
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Alomomola (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Waterfall
- Toxic
- Protect

Electivire (M) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 248 Atk / 224 Spd / 36 HP
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Cross Chop

Spiritomb (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 8 Spd / 252 HP / 196 Atk / 52 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Pursuit

Well, this is my current RU team. I hope everyone has enjoyed it. I'll be posting up threats whenever I really dig in and start heavily play testing this team; however, I'm not displeased with what i have seen so far. Sceptile makes a fantastic special sweeper, and Braviary makes for a great bulky sweeper. In addition to this, Electivire's near perfect coverage and decent sweeping ability is more that I could have asked for in this game. I hope you all enjoy!

TEAM THREATLIST

Manetric is the best revenge killer in the game for a reason. Every time he switches in, I have to sack a Pokemon. This definitely has been remedied by Electivire to an extent. However, if Elecivire is gone, Manetric would have absolutely no problem sweeping my entire team. In addition, there are some other sets that are run that are just as dangerous to my team, such as an expert belt set.

Like Manetric, Amoonguss is a threat to any team that is going up against it. On this team I have two counters to it; however, it can very easily sweep my team or kill off an important member if it is given the chance. His bulk also means even an Ice Punch from my Expert Belt Electivire or a Brave Bird from Braviary won't take it out without a little bit of set up. This bulky bastard is a real threat.

Quite honestly, any version of this Pokemon is a threat. If I see this thing come in, it's over for at least one pokemon. Tail Slap, Rock Burst and Bullet Seed, all of them dangerous in the hands of this little fluff ball. I've seriously considered scarfing my Electivire just to deal with this thing. It's a real pain in the ass to deal with this adorable, but highly dangerous Pokemon.

I know a lot of these are just large general threats, but that's the good thing about this team. No pokemon is really a huge huge threat.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, this is quite a solid team, I'll throw in my two cents. I also love the use of underrated threats, so kudos!

Smeargle ownz, nice.

I'd suggest a Timid Nature over Modest on Sceptile, since he is getting a Special Attack boost from Petaya Berry and really loves his Speed, since that's part of what makes him a boss. He needs to outspeed Jolly variants of Scolipede and Cinccino, who can pose real threats to Sceptile since they hit pretty hard. Sceptile hits hard, yes, but remember: In Competitive Pokemon battling, Speed is king.

SubBU Braviary is good, no changes imo.

Waterfall is more suitable on Alomomola, since it gives it some way of damage, Scald isn't doing much to anything in the first place.

I'd suggest Mixed Electivire over all out physical. It can break down a lot of common cores such as Steelix+Slowking, Amoonguss+Slowking, Roselia+Alomomola, and a lot of others, while still stopping Manectric and friends. It is a better set than all out physical Electivire.

I'd suggest BlackGlasses over Leftovers and Shadow Sneak over Curse. I'd also suggest a spread of 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe, since it can revenge kill and take out Cryogonal and weaken Kabutops well enough. Sucker Punch, Pursuit, and Shadow Sneak put Cryogonal and Psychic-types in a bad position and overall make a good spinblocker.

That's it and I hope I helped.

Electivire @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
EVs: 248 Atk / 36 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Spiritomb @ BlackGlasses
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp

I'd suggest Mixed Electivire over all out physical. It can break down a lot of common cores such as Steelix+Slowking, Amoonguss+Slowking, Roselia+Alomomola, and a lot of others, while still stopping Manectric and friends. It is a better set than all out physical Electivire.
I'll definitely try some of these. This Mixed Electivire set is someting I considered, and I'll definitely try it out! I did try timid on my Sceptile but I found him unable to kill Magmortar even with a Boosted Modest HP Rock. That was before rocks damage however so i think I'll definitely make that switch! The set you provided for Spiritomb was actually a slight variation on what I have now. I had it as a choice band trick set but trick replaced Will-O-Wisp, everything else was the same. I liked it, so I'll definitely give this set a try!

This looks like a pretty solid team!

I can't really find anything wrong with it, so I'm just going to leave a suggestion.

While I've never really used Spiritomb alot, I'd suggest playing a little with his moveset.

I found that Foul Play can be the most annoying move on spiritomb, laughing in the face of set up sweepers, like Gallade or Kabutops.

While Will-o-Wisp can help with that aswell, I would even go and suggest running Pain Split, since it provides you recovery.

So that said, this is also an interesting set. I would recommend trying it and see what suits you better:
~ Will-O-Wisp
~ Pain Split
~ Shadow Sneak
~ Foul Play / Sucker Punch

Good luck!

I'll definitely give Foul Play a try! I wanted to give curse a try also but I'll definitely give Pain Split a try as well :) I never liked shadow sneak so i may either keep that as Pursuit or Sucker Punch. Thank you for the suggestions!

Hi, I would like to give you some suggestions. You should have escavalier over spiritomb as it lures in fire types that get walled and destroyed by alomomola. You should also have escavalier because most of your team get stalled by the infamous wallrein stall set. The set you should probably have is this:
Escavalier @ leftovers
252atk/252hp/4def
Ability:Overcoat
Adamant
megahorn
rest
sleep talk
iron head
This set counters uxie AND wallrein, where as spiritomb would only counter uxie and couldn't even land an OHKO on the thing. It also helps your problem with amoonguss. It's only weakness is fire and alomomla walls fire types while electivire can destroy manectric with earthquake. Hope I helped! :D

If you run choice scarf on electivire you can outspeed and kill cinccino with cross chop which is really awesome. If you don't like that evil accuracy then you could use emboar to live a hit and use superpower, but I would prefer using choice scarf. Hope I helped! :D

If you just so happen to use escavalier over spiritomb then I advise you to use crustle over smeargle as it has better longevity and sweeping potential while still being able to set up stealth rocks and spikes. Hope I helped! :D

Will-o-Wisp with Foul Play is contradictory because you are weakening Foul Play. I suggest you run Sucker Punch over Foul Play for this reason. This also lets you get the jump on Cinccino.

I'd also suggest putting Taunt somewhere to block Amoonguss's Spore, but I'm not sure where. Think about it, maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

I never thought about Will-O-Wisp messing with Foul Play. I'll definitely switch that back in that case! I've tried Scarfed Electivire, and I like being able to switch moves in case someone brings in a pokemon that walls the cross chop. I also have the ability to switch into an obvious thunder move, get the +1 Speed, and then I can outspeed pretty much anything barring scarfed Pokes in the tier. I also have my Timid Sceptile that outspeeds, and he has Focus Blast. A shaky 70% accuracy, but when it comes to Cincinno, it hasn't failed me *Knock on wood*. As for Escavalier...for a little bit I've retired this team, playing with a Trick Room/Sandstorm Team and trying to make a good Rain Team, so this team is on a slight break, but I'll definitely try it whenever I get around to playing this team again!

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hiya Hopkinc:

This is a good team and one that's well built, although it does have some difficulty with opposing offensive teams. Grass-types in general are a pain for you to deal with as only Braviery and Electivire can deal significant damage and no one likes taking a Spore. Offensive Grass-types like opposing Sceptiles are only difficult to handle as most run HP Rock so Braviery isn't safe. Choice Scarfed Rotom-C is a hindrance as well so it can outspeed unboosted Sceptile and constantly harass you with Volt Switch. Additionally, Smeargle is bit overestimated as it's hard-pressed to set up both Spikes and Stealth Rock, so having a partner set up Stealth Rock is ideal.

I suggest Druddigon because it can handle Grass-types and the Pokemon that you mentioned in your threatlist; it also helps relieve Smeargle by setting up Stealth Rock. Druddigon can also act as a revenge killer for set-up threats that are faster than you, such as opposing Unburdened Sceptiles or Choice Scarf users like Medicham and Rotom-C. With Rough Skin, he also punishes Cincinno for using its multi-hit attacks. To make it even sweeter, Alomomola and Druddigon are a great core with Wish healing Druddigon. The downside to removing Electivire is that you lose a good wallbreak with good coverage and a good switch-in to Electric attacks, although the benefits of Druddigon and his power, and utility, make up for it; it also helps hold you team together against opposing offensive teams.

Druddigon@Leftovers
Adamant | Rough Skin
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Sucker Punch
-Stealth Rock

Now that Smeargle has an open slot with Stealth Rock gone, I suggest Explosion, so you can get a Pokemon in unhurt, and it can be used to prevent Kabutops from spinning by exploding before it can spin, and Cryogonal is handled by Spiritomb. The spread used with Explosion should be 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe with a Jolly nature.

gl!

Hiya Hopkinc:

This is a good team and one that's well built, although it does have some difficulty with opposing offensive teams. Grass-types in general are a pain for you to deal with as only Braviery and Electivire can deal significant damage and no one likes taking a Spore. Offensive Grass-types like opposing Sceptiles are only difficult to handle as most run HP Rock so Braviery isn't safe. Choice Scarfed Rotom-C is a hindrance as well so it can outspeed unboosted Sceptile and constantly harass you with Volt Switch. Additionally, Smeargle is bit overestimated as it's hard-pressed to set up both Spikes and Stealth Rock, so having a partner set up Stealth Rock is ideal.

I suggest Druddigon because it can handle Grass-types and the Pokemon that you mentioned in your threatlist; it also helps relieve Smeargle by setting up Stealth Rock. Druddigon can also act as a revenge killer for set-up threats that are faster than you, such as opposing Unburdened Sceptiles or Choice Scarf users like Medicham and Rotom-C. With Rough Skin, he also punishes Cincinno for using its multi-hit attacks. To make it even sweeter, Alomomola and Druddigon are a great core with Wish healing Druddigon. The downside to removing Electivire is that you lose a good wallbreak with good coverage and a good switch-in to Electric attacks, although the benefits of Druddigon and his power, and utility, make up for it; it also helps hold you team together against opposing offensive teams.

Druddigon@Leftovers
Adamant | Rough Skin
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Sucker Punch
-Stealth Rock

Now that Smeargle has an open slot with Stealth Rock gone, I suggest Explosion, so you can get a Pokemon in unhurt, and it can be used to prevent Kabutops from spinning by exploding before it can spin, and Cryogonal is handled by Spiritomb. The spread used with Explosion should be 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe with a Jolly nature.

gl!
Again, the team is "retired" for the time being, but all of these suggestions I'll try! Surprisingly, I've been able to get Spikes and rocks up with Smeargle about 75% of the time; however, I do see what you mean that I'm hardpressed for time. The beauty of this set is if a pokemon is *Obviously* going to set up something or (in some cases) another Smeargle comes in, then I can use magic coat, put the other smeargle to sleep *OR* bounce back any hazards, and boom! one step down! I do see what you mean though, and I'll definitely give it a try!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)