SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

I don't think it'll literally be Drought and Electric Surge. It would be weird when there are setters for all existing weathers and terrains to have one of each be clearly better than the others by introducing a whole class of Pokemon that are specifically buffed by it.

Also worth noting that Khu specified that the legends reminded him of *non-primal* Groudon and Kyogre. To me that strongly implies a field effect that follows the normal rules: persistent after switching, overwritable by others of the same type using normal speed rules, possibly fixed duration. That comparison also makes me think the two will overwrite each other's abilities, such that "weather wars" are a core part of Ubers.

My personal guess? Their relation to paradox mons will be the same as Solgaleo and Lunala to Ultra Beasts: similar, but defined by their ability to create the wormholes/time warps. This will be represented mechanically by a time warp field effect ability which will buff paradox mons of the appropriate time and occupy either a new slot or occupy both the weather and terrain slots. (It may or may not also be possible for the effect to be placed by a move learned by paradox mons.)

How did you get Astral Barrage and Glacial Lance? Those are exclusive to a combination mon that can't be transferred to Home and aren't in a game with Smeargle.
This does not fit with what we know of the abilities. Again, Khu very specifically lamented that none of the past Pokémon were fire type, and that is what makes them worse. Combine that with drought and electric surge being directly mentioned by him, and saying he already teased the abilities, it’s pretty clear what the intention is.

It’s okay for one weather and terrain to be better than the others: because these are legendary Pokémon. Legendary Pokémon are allowed to mess with balance, that is how things have always worked.

Again, Khu very specifically lamented that none of the past Pokémon were fire type, and that is what makes them worse.
I had no idea about this. That does strongly hint towards it being Drought or some variant of it, yeah.

It’s okay for one weather and terrain to be better than the others: because these are legendary Pokémon. Legendary Pokémon are allowed to mess with balance, that is how things have always worked.
This is true, but legendary Pokemon haven't been the only setters of weather since FRLG, and I was under the impression that the paradox mons (a) also aren't legendary and (b) are buffed by the respective field effect. It makes sense for Kuraidon to be super strong, but less sense for Torkoal to suddenly become mega powerful in standard formats without any corresponding buff to the other weathers. It makes teams based around the other weathers almost completely unviable if they're having to compete with VGC-legal sun being buffed into the stratosphere. Same deal with Pincurchin and other terrain teams.

This all assumes the paradox mons themselves are all supposed to be balanced for standard formats of course. Could be that e.g. ancient Salamence is meant to be at the same power level as box legends. Or they're just fine giving certain field effects their time in the sun. Seems an odd design choice, is all.

Literally have most people not read the fact that Khu said Paradox Nobles get a boost in The Legendaries ability

That's what makes them different to normal Drought/E-Terrain
Paradox Nobles/Shills could get Chlorophyll(+)/Surge Surfer(+)/Leaf Guard(+)/Solar Power(+) and still "get a boost in the legendaries' abilit(ies)". Heck, I'm fairly sure 3 of these work in Desolate Land's Intense Sun.

Paradox Nobles/Shills could get Chlorophyll(+)/Surge Surfer(+)/Leaf Guard(+)/Solar Power(+) and still "get a boost in the legendaries' abilit(ies)". Heck, I'm fairly sure 3 of these work in Desolate Land's Intense Sun.
The obvious flaw in that logic is that other mons can also benefit from these and also other Sun/Electric Terrain setters could also boost the Paradoxes.

There are clearly known unknowns at play here, likely new abilities.

Since Paradox Pokemon are made from the dreams of the legendries, maybe "Day Dreaming" and "Neo Dreaming" or what ever they are called will make Terastallizing a 3rd type for respective Paradox forms instead of replacing it 100%, which would fit the gimmick of the game.

How would that make them worse exactly? Unless their original typing has Ice, I don’t see how triple typing with third typing of your choice would be worse than mono type.
Basically, it would lead to a higher number of weaknesses, more complex type chart, etc. There are ways to get around this, but generally speaking, it would be more of a hassle to deal w/ the consequences of having, say, an 8x Ice weakness or several 4x weaknesses.

EDIT: Having said, that, there would also be a fair number of case where it would be better. However, ultimately the main issue w/ triple types is that it makes the chart too complex.

Last edited:
Basically, it would lead to a higher number of weaknesses, more complex type chart, etc. There are ways to get around this, but generally speaking, it would be more of a hassle to deal w/ the consequences of having, say, an 8x Ice weakness or several 4x weaknesses.

EDIT: Having said, that, there would also be a fair number of case where it would be better. However, ultimately the main issue w/ triple types is that it makes the chart too complex.
Well you get to choose your Tera type while team building, so if you pick a tera type that gives you an x8 weakness, that’s on you. Most of the time, you’ll be picking types that compliment your original type the most like in the Bonus Type meta. In that meta, you could pick a bonus type for all your Pokemon, and you most certainly didn’t see Flying Volcarona or Grass Landorus-T.

I had no idea about this. That does strongly hint towards it being Drought or some variant of it, yeah.

This is true, but legendary Pokemon haven't been the only setters of weather since FRLG, and I was under the impression that the paradox mons (a) also aren't legendary and (b) are buffed by the respective field effect. It makes sense for Kuraidon to be super strong, but less sense for Torkoal to suddenly become mega powerful in standard formats without any corresponding buff to the other weathers. It makes teams based around the other weathers almost completely unviable if they're having to compete with VGC-legal sun being buffed into the stratosphere. Same deal with Pincurchin and other terrain teams.

This all assumes the paradox mons themselves are all supposed to be balanced for standard formats of course. Could be that e.g. ancient Salamence is meant to be at the same power level as box legends. Or they're just fine giving certain field effects their time in the sun. Seems an odd design choice, is all.
From what we know, paradox Pokémon are probably actually straight up legendary. But in the way that ultra beasts are legendary. Not necessarily once per game, but counted as legendary for their power/prominence.

And yeah, it is kind of weird to me that Torkoal and Pincurchin would be made so much better. It’s definitely possible that there is some flag that says only Koraidon’s sun causes it. But I think just the paradoxes having an ability which is like “gains full power in *condition*” would justify it. Just like how there’s only 1 version of surge surfer, if you get what I mean.

They could be setting up for a format of Electric Terrain vs Sun for all we know, and that’s why.

I believe someone has access to the games now. Khu said on twitter that "It's Happening" after an image popped up of what appears to be the Box in the PC and a Charmander being used in the Let's Go feature.

Charmander appears to be a "Save Data" gift Pokemon Like G-Max Eevee/Pikachu were in SwSh and Mew/Jirachi were in BDSP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)