Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Quick Terapagos Tests
- Teraform Zero appears to only work on transformation. When it activates, it removes the field effect (unlike say, Air Lock).
- Terapagos' Stellar type bonuses dont seem to disappear after use (tested on wild pkmn), so you get permanent STABs for the rest of the game.
- Stellar Tera Starstorm seems to be unresisted.
- Seems like Stellar Tera Starstorm functions like a STAB 120 bp move (and not superstab. You don't get STAB + Tera boost on it). In terms of damage, it only does very slightly more than untera'd Tera Starstorm, and that's only because Terapagos-Stellar has slightly more SpA than Terapagos-Terastal.
This is probably an obvious question, but w/ the base HP increase from Terapagos-T to Terapagos-S, does it gain HP upon Teraing ala Zygarde-C?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Quick Terapagos Tests
- Teraform Zero appears to only work on transformation. When it activates, it removes the field effect (unlike say, Air Lock).
- Terapagos' Stellar type bonuses dont seem to disappear after use (tested on wild pkmn), so you get permanent STABs for the rest of the game.
- Stellar Tera Starstorm seems to be unresisted.
- Seems like Stellar Tera Starstorm functions like a STAB 120 bp move (and not superstab. You don't get STAB + Tera boost on it). In terms of damage, it only does very slightly more than untera'd Tera Starstorm, and that's only because Terapagos-Stellar has slightly more SpA than Terapagos-Terastal.
Wait. Stellar-type bonus is 50% for every type??? I was expecting 30% like Gems.

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
Hi. First batch of tests for the Indigo Disk. Always exciting. Tools are still limited in functionality, so I can't do quite as much as I'd want with regards to things like the Stellar mechanics yet, but I can absolutely get to some other questions.

Firstly, something not asked about here: Neutralizing Gas can nullify a stat boost provided by a previously activated Booster Energy + Protosynthesis/Quark Drive upon filling the field. However, if Neutralizing Gas leaves the field, the Booster Energy + Protosynthesis/Quark Drive stat boost does resume functioning, as shown in this footage where I used specific Speed values to prove it. Thanks to user Habatakukamisama for the testing suggestion, and to the poster of this Tweet for some of the initial info and other interesting notes regarding Proto/Quark mechanics.

Liquid Voice should turn Alluring Voice and Psychic Noise to water moves for Primarina right? Seems like it would maybe be significant for Psychic Noise, but too bad it still doesn’t get an additional -ate type boost.
Yep. Both become Water-type.

Are the three Terapagos abilities affected by neutralizing gas? Is there any way to send out the small Terapagos into battle without it transforming, i.e. by hacking another ability onto it?

Also since neutralizing gas was updated to now succesfully suppress the paradox abilities, perhaps it can't hurt to doublecheck if As One is still unaffected by it
Tera Shift is completely unaffected by the presence of Neutralizing Gas, as confirmed here. As One is still unaffected by Neutralizing Gas, but I forgot to upload that footage so it will be in the playlist in my signature later. I cannot easily test the others yet.

Poison Puppeteer: Does this ability trigger on poison only moves like Toxic, or only % chance attacks?
Poison Puppeteer triggers on both direct status moves like Poison Gas, and on attacks with a % chance to inflict Poison like Smog.

Hi. Dropping in to confirm that Deoxys does not forget moves when it changes form. I have a Deoxys-Defense with Spikes in my game at the moment, and when it changes to any other form using the Meteorite key item it retains its current moves, including Spikes, despite the movepool differences. Also tested with Taunt and it was retained too. I'll post footage of this here when I get to doing more tests.
I posted the Deoxys footage and it's available here.

Hope this helps.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
This is probably an obvious question, but w/ the base HP increase from Terapagos-T to Terapagos-S, does it gain HP upon Teraing ala Zygarde-C?
Yes

Wait. Stellar-type bonus is 50% for every type??? I was expecting 30% like Gems.
I'm not 100% sure but it appears to be 50% like any other Tera interaction.

(Also haven't tested: whether Terapagos's actual Normal-type moves get the "Adaptability" bonus or not)

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
not answering any question in particular here but i had some stuff sat around to test for when the dlc dropped:
- bitter blade and matcha gotcha now work with triage.
- gen 6 legend moves (geomancy, oblivion wing, all of zygarde's) are still unusable. same goes for mind blown and spectral thief.
- "moldy moves" (sunsteel strike, moongeist beam, photon geyser) don't ignore abilities if the target has ability shield (see video below).
- psychic noise does not stop regenerator

Last edited:

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
Hi again.
Thanks for the quick response! Should be one last factor to consider before wrapping this up: Toxic Spikes. Reasonably it shouldnt count, but would Toxic Spikes also trigger pupeteer?
Good question. Toxic Spikes do not trigger Poison Puppeteer.

Tera Shift is completely unaffected by the presence of Neutralizing Gas, as confirmed here. As One is still unaffected by Neutralizing Gas, but I forgot to upload that footage so it will be in the playlist in my signature later. I cannot easily test the others yet.

Here's that footage I forgot last time showing that As One continues to bypass the effects of Neutralizing Gas in SV.

And does the HP increase from Terapagos-N to Terapagos-T matter at all (such as for hazards), or does Tera Shift activate before anything else?

In other words, does it starting in the Normal form have any effect at all?
I'm wondering this, too. Would an Imposter Ditto become a Normal Form Terapagos (and then remain stuck as Normal Form, similar to other form-changing abilities)? That's one of the only situations I can imagine Normal Form's stats actually mattering, considering it even transforms for the auto-battle mechanic (which actually does use the Pokemon's stats to determine the outcome).

Actually, now that I think about it, how has Imposter historically interacted with similar "change forms at the start of battle" abilities like Schooling and Shields Down?

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
Hi. One more batch of tests for today.

Firstly, I was asked to check if Tinted Lens could bypass Tera Shell's effect of making all hits on Terapagos result in resisted damage while it is at full HP. It seems to me that the answer is that Tinted Lens does not bypass Tera Shell interestingly enough, as the damage seemed to remain at a range expected from a Not Very Effective attack. You can see all of the details of my method for testing in the video's description, and stats are included in the video and description. Please do feel free to double check the data and conclusion here in particular, as it's possible I missed something obvious on this front. scionicle kindly checked this and verified it wasn't correct due to an oversight with one of the calcs. See their post for the correct conclusion. Thanks!

Secondly, I was asked to check if Tera Shell would turn Terapagos's Ghost immunity into a mere resistance due to the wording of the ability. In short, no, Terapagos remains immune to Shadow Ball damage as usual even at full HP with Tera Shell active.

Finally, I'll answer two questions from here:

I'm wondering this, too. Would an Imposter Ditto become a Normal Form Terapagos (and then remain stuck as Normal Form, similar to other form-changing abilities)? That's one of the only situations I can imagine Normal Form's stats actually mattering, considering it even transforms for the auto-battle mechanic (which actually does use the Pokemon's stats to determine the outcome).

Actually, now that I think about it, how has Imposter historically interacted with similar "change forms at the start of battle" abilities like Schooling and Shields Down?
Ditto with Imposter Transforms into the Tera Shell version of Terapagos, so even here the Base form is not seen in battle. Ditto can benefit from copying Tera Shell notably, and Ditto also cannot Terastallize while Transformed into a Terapagos. Footage here.

I don't think the odds for Fickle Beam have been nailed down yet, but can it be used via Mirror Move/Copycat/Sketch, and if a different mon can use it through those methods, can the second beam trigger?
Common sense would say no. The double damage is almost certainly exclusively a Hydrapple thing.
Fickle Beam can be used by other Pokemon that are not Hydrapple, it can activate its special effect of doubling damage even when used by these other Pokemon, and Smeargle can indeed Sketch it. All shown here.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Tera Stellar doesn't modify the user's base typing in any way. A Krookodile Terastallized to Stellar type is immune to Psychic, Thunder, Prankster-boosted status moves, and takes only 1/16 damage from Stealth Rock. A Pokemon that is Terastallized to Stellar type can't have its type changed via other ways while Terastallized (e.g. Conversion, Double Shock).

Tera Blast appears to behave as a 120 BP non-STAB move on a Pokemon Terastallized to Stellar type. Once you use up the initial one-time type boost on Stellar Tera Blast, it starts becoming treated as a 100 BP non-STAB move. The initial one-time type boost doesn't get used up if you whiff an attack into Protect. Struggle doesn't get boosted at all. The Attack and Sp. Atk drop occurs regardless of whether or not the target was Terastallized.

Level 50 141 Atk, 71 SpA Krookodile using Tera Stellar Tera Blast into 96 Def 98 Sp. Def Reuniclus dealt 68 and 72 damage with the one-time Stellar boost, and 57 damage after using Tera Stellar Tera Blast, then switching in and out to remove the stat drop.

Adaptability didn't impact damage rolls from Earthquake while Terastallized to Stellar type. With the one-time boost, Earthquake from the same Krookodile into the same Reuniclus dealt 96 damage, and without the one-time boost it dealt 66 damage. It also didn't impact the damage of Tera Blast; that same Tera Blast with the one-time boost and Adaptability dealt 70 damage.

Also mentioning that the Tera Shift Ability activates very early, before Unnerve, which itself is before hazards and other standard entrance Abilities like Intimidate. Tera Shell cannot be Skill Swapped, but it can be suppressed via Gastro Acid.

With thanks to Karthik for helping test!

Tera Blast appears to behave as a 120 BP non-STAB move on a Pokemon Terastallized to Stellar type. Once you use up the initial one-time type boost on Stellar Tera Blast, it starts becoming treated as a 100 BP non-STAB move. The initial one-time type boost doesn't get used up if you whiff an attack into Protect. Struggle doesn't get boosted at all. The Attack and Sp. Atk drop occurs regardless of whether or not the target was Terastallized.
I'm not certain that a 120 power STAB-less move is what's going on. I was just looking into Adaptability Tera Stellar Tera Blast as you posted, and also got damage values that didn't line up with a 1.5 STAB multiplier.
Since I had the results, I also tried running my numbers against a STAB-less 120 BP move and some of my results still don't line up with those.
These tests were done with a Lv. 75 173 SpA (final stat) Dragalge, Terastallized to Stellar, using Tera Blast.
All defenders were Iron Hands, with their SpD noted.
The damage ranges list the assumption made with the possible values, either an 80 BP move with 1.5 STAB multiplier, or a 120 BP move with no STAB multiplier.

With Adaptability:

82 SpD
HP: 231 - 92 = 139 damage
1.5 STAB: (139, 141, 142, 144, 145, 148, 150, 151, 153, 154, 156, 157, 159, 160, 162, 165)
120 BP move: (139, 141, 142, 144, 145, 147, 149, 150, 152, 154, 155, 157, 159, 160, 162, 164)

87 SpD
HP: 247 - 92 = 155 damage
1.5 STAB: (130, 132, 133, 135, 136, 138, 139, 141, 142, 144, 145, 147, 148, 150, 151, 154)
120 BP move: (130, 132, 133, 135, 137, 138, 140, 141, 143, 144, 146, 147, 149, 150, 152, 154)

82 SpD
HP: 232 - 73 = 161 damage
1.5 STAB: (139, 141, 142, 144, 145, 148, 150, 151, 153, 154, 156, 157, 159, 160, 162, 165)
120 BP move: (139, 141, 142, 144, 145, 147, 149, 150, 152, 154, 155, 157, 159, 160, 162, 164)

Without Adaptability:

76 SpD
HP: 251 - 84 = 167 damage
1.5 STAB: (150, 151, 153, 154, 157, 159, 160, 162, 163, 165, 168, 169, 171, 172, 174, 177)
120 BP move: (149, 151, 153, 154, 156, 158, 160, 161, 163, 165, 167, 168, 170, 172, 174, 176)

79 SpD
HP: 238 - 78 = 160 damage
1.5 STAB: (144, 147, 148, 150, 151, 153, 154, 156, 159, 160, 162, 163, 165, 166, 168, 171)
120 BP move: (144, 146, 147, 149, 151, 153, 154, 156, 158, 159, 161, 163, 164, 166, 168, 170)

78 SpD
HP: 244 - 86 = 158 damage
1.5 STAB: (145, 147, 150, 151, 153, 154, 156, 157, 159, 162, 163, 165, 166, 168, 169, 172)
120 BP move: (146, 147, 149, 151, 153, 154, 156, 158, 159, 161, 163, 165, 166, 168, 170, 172)

Firstly, I was asked to check if Tinted Lens could bypass Tera Shell's effect of making all hits on Terapagos result in resisted damage while it is at full HP. It seems to me that the answer is that Tinted Lens does not bypass Tera Shell interestingly enough, as the damage seemed to remain at a range expected from a Not Very Effective attack.
In the calcs you provided, the Sentret that represents Terapagos is taking super effective damage in both calcs. It should be not very effective to match your video. The following calcs give Sentret that resistance:

Lvl 2 252 Atk Tinted Lens Tera Fighting Lokix Axe Kick vs. Lvl 1 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Flying Sentret: 8-12 (61.5 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Lvl 2 252 Atk Tera Fighting Lokix Axe Kick vs. Lvl 1 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Flying Sentret: 4-6 (30.7 - 46.1%) -- 99.3% chance to 3HKO

The Tinted Lens calc matches the damage dealt in your video, so I don't believe the ability is being ignored by Tera Shell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)