Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Further Ogerpon questions:
  • Does Ogerpon stay in its Teal Mask form when it holds an item other than the masks (say, Life Orb) and/or goes itemless?
  • Ogerpon-4 through -7 are just the Terastallized forms...right?
  • Is Ogerpon really fixed Tera Grass by default/Teal, Tera Water with the Wellspring Mask, Tera Fire with the Hearthflame Mask, and Tera Rock with the Cornerstone Mask?
Yes, it stays in form 0 if you hold other items or have no item.

4-7 aren't naturally Terastallized, but they are used when you do Terastallize. They're the ones with Embody Aspect (which is actually 4 separate abilities all with the same name). It's kind of like the Eternamax mechanic; they had to have Eternatus-1 because Gmax doesn't change stats, and they wanted more stats on it. Likewise, Terastallization isn't supposed to change your ability, but by changing the form for Ogerpon, they can make it happen.

Yes, if you change type by holding/removing a mask, its Tera Type automatically updates. None of the Ogerpon let you change Tera Type at the restaurant with shards.
1694593141225.png

I hacked the Tera Type on my Wellspring Mask to Ghost, and when I attempted to Terastallize it, the game softlocked. I could only spin the camera around in battle. There were no menus and no way to escape except to reboot.

Last edited:
Can Embody Aspect be Skill Swapped, or suppressed by Neutralizing Gas? Does it still work on other Pokémon (hacked in assuming Skill Swap isn't possible)?

How much damage does Empoleon, the only Water/Steel type, take from salt cure chip.
Seeing as it's type combo consists of the 2 types affected by it, do they stack or is it normal increase.

Update: after testing, salt cure does the same amount of damage to empoleon as any other water or steel type, meaning it doesn't stack.

Last edited:
Does Grassy Glide get boosted to 60 BP by Tera during Grassy Terrain?
The check to boost a move's power to 60 when a low power move's type matches Tera type is the very last thing that happens when calculating the move's base power. It also accounts for all power modifiers when doing this check.
Since Grassy Terrain affects the move's power, Grassy Glide will be more than 60 BP, and won't have its power increased to 60 before applying terrain. So it's just 55 * 1.3 power.

The check to boost a move's power to 60 when a low power move's type matches Tera type is the very last thing that happens when calculating the move's base power. It also accounts for all power modifiers when doing this check.
Since Grassy Terrain affects the move's power, Grassy Glide will be more than 60 BP, and won't have its power increased to 60 before applying terrain. So it's just 55 * 1.3 power.
I didn't know this, does that also mean that for example Trailblaze or Flame Charge don't get the low power Tera boost in their respective weather or terrain?

Huh, I was actually asking about a priority check, but I guess it's irrelevant now

BoingK

back to the lab again
is a Pre-Contributor
- Do we know if the Embody Aspect abilities are locked to Ogrepon / its masks / Tera?
- Do we know if Ogrepon formes are locked, ie could I use Heathflame in BH without holding the mask?
- Do we know if Ogrepon formes are ability locked when holding masks?

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tested a few things, mostly related to Embody Aspect on the Fire-type Ogerpon!

- Embody Aspect totally replaces the base ability effective immediately, as you can see by Mimikyu getting its Disguise broken!

Neutralizing Gas

Can Embody Aspect be Skill Swapped, or suppressed by Neutralizing Gas? Does it still work on other Pokémon (hacked in assuming Skill Swap isn't possible)?
- It is indeed suppressed by Neutralizing Gas! And as you'd expect, it activates the moment Weezing is off the field!

- Note you don't get double dipping: the Switch cut this off, but in the video above, Ogerpon Tera'd after Weezing came in. However in the video below, Ogerpon already activated Embody Aspect before Weezing came in, and as Weezing gets KOed, you DO NOT get a 2nd Embody Aspect boost! Had to test this considering some nasty Zacian memories!

- This wasn't something I tested on purpose, but Nuetralizing Gas seems to effectively totally nullify Supersweet Syrup in a singles environment: once Weezing switches out, Dipplin actually lowers the accuracy of Weezing RIGHT before the next Pokemon comes in! I can't remember if this is the way activation abilities worked in SwSh, but I figured I should post this just in case!

Does Embody Aspect retain its boost after switching?
As Anubis mentioned earlier, yes it does keep working throughout the battle even after switching out. Think of it like gen 8's implementation of Intrepid Sword in that respect!

Some other things I ran out of space for to take videos (blame Mario Maker 2 lol)

- Hisuian Zoroark can disguise itself as Ogerpon, but as soon as it Terastallized into a Dark-type, the Illusion was nullified right before it Tera'd with the standard illusion breaking activation message coming up. I'm unsure if this changes if Teraing into a type Ogerpon can Tera into.

- All the mechanics that apply to Transform for Ogerpon (I.E., Transform fails if Ogerpon or Ditto is Terastallized) apply to Imposter as well.

- This wasn't something I tested on purpose, but Nuetralizing Gas seems to effectively totally nullify Supersweet Syrup in a singles environment: once Weezing switches out, Dipplin actually lowers the accuracy of Weezing RIGHT before the next Pokemon comes in! I can't remember if this is the way activation abilities worked in SwSh, but I figured I should post this just in case!

Given how the text and sound of Weezing's stats dropping played after in was already gone, this feels like a bug that'll get patched eventually (like the Cud Chew thing).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)