Sableye

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Teamed with Chansey, stall in UU might even be too much. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it eventually goes BL.

as i said before sableye is actually soid OU in DW, so i dont think it will need to go BL

I'm wi-fi only, but in the wi-fi side of battling, this set is doing really well for me......

Sableye @ Lefties
Bold
252 HP/200 Def/56 SpDef
-WoW
-Recover
-Calm Mind
-HP Ice/Toxic

This needs to be teamed with a cleric (Blissey), but his has somes massive stall going on. Water/Ice type wall HP Ice, so Toxic is fine as long as you don't get taunted. CM is the only option to boost SpDef.

From personal experience, max your HP and (spdef if alone, Def if with partner) and give him WoW/Taunt/Recover with Shadow Sneak, Foul Play, or Night Shade.
Have you tried running Knock Off as the attacking move?
It's obviously going to do less damage and make finishing things off harder, but can be a lot more useful if they still have things to switch to, letting you still screw whatever they go to on the switch.
Not used it myself, but seems like it could be worth considering. Shame it doesn't benefit from Prankster priority :P

I think this guy is being overhyped.

That Special Defense really kills him, and his low bulk in general makes it tough to switch in. Even though he has priority Recover, the thing is that it's really easy to force him to use it. He'll take one attack from something strong and go down to below half health, at which point he'll either have to Recover or risk getting killed. Common Latios, Thundurus, Starmie, Gengar, and other such special attacking sets take him down to well below half health, and then know for certain it will use Recover, allowing something to Nasty Plot, Substitute, otherwise set up, or get a free switch. Even on the physical side, he faces danger from boosting Pokémon like Swords Dance Scizor, Excadrill (who has a 40% chance to OHKO from +1 (Swords Dance/Burn) with EQ), Dragon Dancers, and of course Guts Conkeldurr who appreciates a Will-O-Wisp.

He's good against walls like Blissey and Ferrothorn with Taunt, but he's really not the best option and seems pretty outclassed. I'm thinking Ferro gets up hazards on the switch in, then switches out to Latios and immediately forces you back out.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something, but he doesn't seem like he can hang in OU with defenses like that. Whimsicott's Prankster let's it stay OU because it has decent enough bulk to make it worthwhile. Sableye's poor defenses make him very situational and allow no room for any mistakes whatsoever. I think he better suited to UU, where Pokémon aren't hitting quite as hard as they are in OU.

You must be missing something, because he's been spectacular for me in any tier.
lol okay...

How do you deal with powerful offense in OU?

What set are you running?

What teammates do you use to support him?

I'd like to know what it is I'm missing as opposed to hearing, "Nah, he's spectacular" lol.

I remember when I ran sableye in Dream World, I ran it with a Sub+Recover set with max HP/Def. Because I ran it on a stall team, I threw Punishment in the last slot to punish CM Reuniclus, who would otherwise set up all over my team with me being unable to stop it. Because of Priority sub, it scouts the sets and items of powerful special attackers as well as being a safeguard against Trick, and Punishment is a nice final dark-type move, as even with Sableye's uninvested middling offense, it still gets 2hko's on CM Reuniclus at +2/+2, while it will even survive a Shadow Ball from a bulky set at +2, and helps it beat threats like subCM Lati@s.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
@ Mrs. Denbo I tried writing up a post like that and i read it over and it made him sound mediocre: he's much worse on paper. Anyway, my set is:

Sableye @ Leftovers
Prankster (hurr)
Impish
252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe (put in as many spe as you think will let you beat other sableye, similar to LeadChamp last gen)
-Taunt
-WoW
-Recover
-Payback/Sucker Punch/Shadow sneak/Trickery/Night Shade

GGGAAAAAHHHH yet again I don't know how to describe his playstyle!

I guess you'll just have to test him yourself.

Or get someone more eloquent than I to explain how to use him.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
@ Mrs. Denbo I tried writing up a post like that and i read it over and it made him sound mediocre: he's much worse on paper. Anyway, my set is:

Sableye @ Leftovers
Prankster (hurr)
Impish
252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe (put in as many spe as you think will let you beat other sableye, similar to LeadChamp last gen)
-Taunt
-WoW
-Recover
-Payback/Sucker Punch/Shadow sneak/Trickery/Night Shade

GGGAAAAAHHHH yet again I don't know how to describe his playstyle!

I guess you'll just have to test him yourself.

Or get someone more eloquent than I to explain how to use him.
i use the same sableye with a specially defensive ev spred and it takes special hits surprisingly well (lived a kyurems DM)

lol okay...

How do you deal with powerful offense in OU?

What set are you running?

What teammates do you use to support him?

I'd like to know what it is I'm missing as opposed to hearing, "Nah, he's spectacular" lol.
Try running it along side Chansey/Blissey w/ Wish + Heal Bell.

Sableye resists Fighting types, and can priority W-o-W and other physical threats.

Chansey/Blissey sponge the SpAtks and plays cleric if Sableye gets statused.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Moltenkyurem said:
lols i love pointing out the obvious
dingdingding we have a winner.

to be fair i was using that in like, january, so i deserve credit for never seeing any analysis and still using that set.

Try running it along side Chansey/Blissey w/ Wish + Heal Bell.

Sableye resists Fighting types, and can priority W-o-W and other physical threats.

Chansey/Blissey sponge the SpAtks and plays cleric if Sableye gets statused.
dingdingding we have a winner.

to be fair i was using that in like, january, so i deserve credit for never seeing any analysis and still using that set.
this is the new skarmbliss i can just see it
Sable/Bliss + Skarm/Hippo + Dusknoir/Tentacruel is sooooooooo fun. ;)

Run a specially defensive Hippo (it will survive LO Latios Draco Meteor, and Slack Off damage w/ good prediction) and just Roar/Whirlwind your way to victory.

Only thing I've found that stops it are faster than Sableye Prankster + Taunt Pokes (Thundorus/Tornadus).

Toss in Tentacruel as a Spinner, and Dusknoir as a second spin blocker, and any team not running Thundorus/Tornadus with Taunt will have one helluva time finding a way around this.

Thank you for existing Prankster Sableye.

I'm using a set which is similar to Pwnemon's

Sableye @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Nature: Bold
- Foul Play
- Will-o-Wisp
- Recover
- Substitute

Substitute lets Sableye block statuses, scout attacks (Because of Prankster), ease predictions and priority Recover without being threatened, and it can give you a second chance to WoW if it misses. Foul Play does not halve its damage output if the target is burned (It will if SABLEYE is burned, though) and makes the target 'hit itself' with a 142,5 BP Dark-type move. Even pokémon with low Attack, such as Espeon and Gengar, are easily 2HKOed because of their frailness, yet Sableye must be careful, because of its uninvested Special Defense. Air Balloon Excadrill is also 2HKOed after a Swords Dance (It can be OHKOed with its Balloon popped and entry hazard support!), and 3HKOes Sableye at best if burned at +2, so it's easily stopped. Recover and WoW are musts, obviously

If paired with a special wall, it makes a very interesting duo, being far more annoying than effective. Sableye also blocks Rapid Spin

I'd say that Sableye's main problem is that it has nearly no way to damage (Let alone say stop) MixApe. Oh, and Taunt... but this Sableye is not going to stay against most taunt users, is it?

Looks like Sableye has to competete with Murkrow, who does a similar job another way.
Murkrow has slightly more HP and higher defence stats, missing the Leftover recovery. It also is much faster, so face to face Sableye would loose the run.
Sableye has the same typing as Spiritomb, can't be hit super effectively; the immunities against normal, fighting and psychic are nice, since it can't be hit by the common priorities - especially Extreme Speed. Murkrow can switch in ground moves but can't roost without getting hit. The SR damage are nasty.
Sableye's movepool's trump is Will-O-Wisp, seconded Trick and Knock off. Fake Out is also available, but the damage is usually too low to be worth a move slot. Besides those and Recovery Murkrow gets everything important it has: Taunt, Night Shade, Toxic, Calm Mind, Torment, Foul Play and Confuse Ray are basic, but there is more; Sableye has Mean Look, but not Perish Song? Murkrow got both; additionally Thunder Wave or Tail Wind for team support, it Hazes and with Feather Dance, a pseudo WoW, it can take hits from both physical and special side.

Both truly capable Pokemon. With which one would you go? Sableye rarely need to fear fire Pokemon in OU; they are rare and there are a lot of steel Pokemon, who prevent Murkrow from toxic stalling.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
It's my spinblocker on all of my DW sunny day teams. Outside of excadrill, it spinblocks just fine.

Do not forget Starmie who even has Nature Cure and doesn't fear WoW.
Starmie is 2HKOed by Sableye if it carries Foul Play, and it needs LO or hazards to get a safe 2HKO on PHYSICALLY Defensive Sableye, factoring on Leftovers (Non-Life Orb Surf fails to get a surefire 2HKO by a small margin)

If Sableye has Foul Play and Substitute, and it's behind one, Sableye will usually win (Hydro Pump has a good chance to OHKO with a Life Orb, but Sableye can use Substitute looking for a miss)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)