Rock Smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Pokemon that learn Rock Smash as the only fighting type move that they can physical attack with, could Rock Smash work? Or would a STAB'd attack of the same type as the Pokemon using it be better?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
EDIT: I forgot it was nerfed.

It's only used on Absol against Aggron and Probopass in UU, and only if it has Swords Dance to go with it. =/ It also reduces defense, but it really depends on the situation. That's the only use I can think of atm.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Rock Smash has 40 Base Power and 100% accuracy. It could work, it'd certainly be misleading and throw them off as a surprise.
Dug doesn't want to waste a moveslot for something useless. It's fine if you BP boosts to Dugtrio and trap the opponent (which in itself leads to a nice strategy), but it has poorer attack than a lot of other things (which brings us back to Absol) and it has nothing to use it effectively against.

Why would you use it on Dugtrio?

super effective Rock Smash: 80 damage
neutral Earthquake: 150 damage
not very effective Earthquake: 75 damage

So what does Rock Smash hit Super Effective that Earthquake does'nt hit neutral?

Absol uses it for Tyranitar and Aggron.

I thought Duggy learns Brick Break. There was one in the Factory in Emerald... and I was like "wut, it doesn't have hands :P"

EDIT: Apparently it doesn't. However, stabbed EQ does more anyway.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
They doubled the BP this gen, but it's still shaky. The only use I could see is if Jirachi gets it to lower Defense and force switches or something. Otherwise it's only a "last resort" or Weaville counter move.

It's not so awful on Dunsparce. With Serene Grace it has 100% chance of dropping defense, and is useful to hit the Rocks and Steels who otherwise completely wall him, not to mention making your Headbutts hurt more on other stuff.

I guess it's pretty decent on Hitmontop too, as it hits the very respectable 90 BP with STAB and Technician, and has that cool 50% chance of defense drop to force some switches, but Intimidate would probably force alot more switches overal

And I guess it's usuable on anything that doesn't have a real Fighting attack, but still needs one for tar / Rock / Steels depending on the tier

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Rock Smash is pretty awful. The only, only use I can see for it is so that Absol can do a little damage to Aggron. Absol should never use Rock Smash to defeat Tyranitar or Weavile, as they are inferior to Iron Tail on both counts. Yes, the mighty Iron Tail.

Adamant 252 Atk Absol Rock Smash vs 252/0 Tyranitar - 45-53 percent
Adamant 252 Atk Absol Iron Tail vs 252/0 Tryanitar - 55-65 percent

Iron Tail has 200BP against Tyranitar with a 30 percent chance of lowering his defence. Rock Smash has 160BP against Tyranitar with a 50 percent chance of lowering his defence. Sure, there's the accuracy issue, but if you're using Absol then you're gonna need a bit of luck anyway.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's not so awful on Dunsparce. With Serene Grace it has 100% chance of dropping defense, and is useful to hit the Rocks and Steels who otherwise completely wall him, not to mention making your Headbutts hurt more on other stuff.

I guess it's pretty decent on Hitmontop too, as it hits the very respectable 90 BP with STAB and Technician, and has that cool 50% chance of defense drop to force some switches.

And I guess it's usuable on anything that doesn't have a real Fighting attack, but still needs one for tar / Rock / Steels depending on the tier
I'd rather Mach Punch/Triple Kick than Rock Smash on Hitmontop personally.

Seriously, Rock Smash is almost never useful. It's a "last resort" move, and unless you understand that, don't think about using it.

i could see rock smash totally ruling on some thing like scizor that gets a technician boost, lower the opponents def, and then keeps on rock smashing.

The only time I've seen it is what Anti said, on Linoone, as a way to get past Aggron and hope to god against Golem, as it got it's HPFighting taken away from it. This is all in "UU" of course.

Phuquoph outlined in the Absol analysis that Rock Smash is kinda viable on it when using it in standard, because it can get rid of Tyranitar, Weavile and Houndoom pretty easily (forgot the KO rates). After all, against the first two, 160 effective BP is about as good as it gets, and 80 BP is still better than nothing against Houndoom. Not better than Return's 102, but then he really loses against Tyranitar.

I have rocksmash I use it to Smash Rocks. If anyone needs to teach there pokemon that move and dont have the thing pm me and ill teach it to it for u :naughty:

Rock Smash is a Fairly Good move
If you think about it, Mach Punch has the same Power, except, it attacks first.
Rock Smash is good if you need to TRAP your opponent, and Lower his/her defenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)