Reviving IRC: Why you should join #xyuu

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
IRC can be a gigantic circle jerk too fyi

If you guys are going to make a thread on reviving irc then why not make one trying to "clean up" our ps room? Or have we just accepted uu is basically a lost cause with regards to "high level" metagame chat? (Which I understand completely)

Most of the contributions for CC aren't going to be taking into account from IRC unless this is a UU forum exclusive thing, so that's just a flat out lie. I only use IRC for council discussion since it's easier to contact guys like Mcmeghan and M Dragon through that, as well as this Wcop since it was a necessity. Otherwise I'm using PS or if more personal Skype.
This is an UU thread in the UU subforum talking about UU's irc channel. Why would Sam, UU's leader, lie about UU's policy.

Or just, you know, shoot a PM, or actually engage in the craziness and represent the title you were given, a leader. Could've just said you wanted more IRC activity in UU rather than use PS as an example that has their own entire culture by itself and these random people don't become so random when you see them all the time which is how they make connections. Focused discussion is based on auth and role model participation anyways so if the auths aren't leading it that's another situation all together.
I lead the UU forum community and UU tiering, nothing else. I'm not going to force myself to use PS's terrible chat system to moderate a chat with 100+ users who don't talk about anything relevant or remotely interesting 95%+ of the time. Also, the tournament related spam is annoying as fuck. If I wanted to moderate a subpar chat, I would had never left PO.

The main reasons why I don't like using PS for anything other than playing tournament games:

- My laptop's screen is decently "big". It's absurd that the chat is so goddamn small, like 1/3 of my screen, and there's so much wasted space http://puu.sh/jsrMz/183063ef5e.png.
- The PM system is utter garbage. Everything about it is terrible.
- PS's main server is annoyingly laggy for me
- I have 10+ tabs open almost all the time. Checking PS's tab regularly is just painful
- It makes firefox laggy if I have too many other tabs open.
- Can you even autojoin channels in PS???

Some people might like using PS, but I don't. If PS's chat and PMs were half as good as PO's, which is worse than irc, I would probably use it. PS is extremely convenient for battling, but it's pretty subpar for everything else.

My irc client is chatzilla. The chat doesn't look like complete garbage (http://puu.sh/jssv5/9525f61cfb.png), infinitely more customizable than PS, it auto sign-ins and joins 12~ channels (and this took me 30 sec and 12~ right clicks to setup), much easier to deal with multiple pms, I don't have to jump through hoops to make a new channel, I can automatically save logs into my computer, doesn't mess with my tabs, and WCOP and SPL stuff happen on irc.

Even if I ignore the user specific issues, which aren't fixable in a chat as big as the UU room without overly strict moderation, irc is a much better option for me.

PS: Easiest and fastest way of contacting me is irc.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is an UU thread in the UU subforum talking about UU's irc channel. Why would Sam, UU's leader, lie about UU's policy.

I lead the UU forum community and UU tiering, nothing else. I'm not going to force myself to use PS's terrible chat system to moderate a chat with 100+ users who don't talk about anything relevant or remotely interesting 95%+ of the time. Also, the tournament related spam is annoying as fuck. If I wanted to moderate a subpar chat, I would had never left PO.

The main reasons why I don't like using PS for anything other than playing tournament games:

- My laptop's screen is decently "big". It's absurd that the chat is so goddamn small, like 1/3 of my screen, and there's so much wasted space http://puu.sh/jsrMz/183063ef5e.png.
- The PM system is utter garbage. Everything about it is terrible.
- PS's main server is annoyingly laggy for me
- I have 10+ tabs open almost all the time. Checking PS's tab regularly is just painful
- It makes firefox laggy if I have too many other tabs open.
- Can you even autojoin channels in PS???

Some people might like using PS, but I don't. If PS's chat and PMs were half as good as PO's, which is worse than irc, I would probably use it. PS is extremely convenient for battling, but it's pretty subpar for everything else.

My irc client is chatzilla. The chat doesn't look like complete garbage (http://puu.sh/jssv5/9525f61cfb.png), infinitely more customizable than PS, it auto sign-ins and joins 12~ channels (and this took me 30 sec and 12~ right clicks to setup), much easier to deal with multiple pms, I don't have to jump through hoops to make a new channel, I can automatically save logs into my computer, doesn't mess with my tabs, and WCOP and SPL stuff happen on irc.

Even if I ignore the user specific issues, which aren't fixable in a chat as big as the UU room without overly strict moderation, irc is a much better option for me.

PS: Easiest and fastest way of contacting me is irc.
tl;dr version: I'll fix PS, dw.

As someone who likes using IRC more than PS generally, I really resonate w/ this thread's general purpose and it's nice to see endeavors being made towards improving IRC activity :)
I'll probs set this to ajoin, hopefully there's some good discussion there n_n

EDIT- hopefully this is taken up for other tiers too, talking on IRC is always fun

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sam I think just posting this thread was a great enough idea lol

IRC is already a lot more alive now than it was before you posted this, hopefully this current activity can at least be sustained for a while since nowadays I've been jumping into PS while almost completely forgetting about it.

I'd be up to host some UU teambats in #xyuu if there's some interest in them. In my experience, they are pretty fun and they allow people to try and experiment new stuff (weather without rocks, BP-less Scollipede [which seems to be p relevant lately], etc) in a semi competitive environment.

Shoutouts to the people who came up with that idea and popularized it. And shoutouts to DTC for being legit terrible at playing Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)