Reuniclus

Rankurusu@Leftovers

Reflect
Light Screen
Recover
Future Sight

Saw this dual screen/ future sight support set, and it seemed pretty cool. Not sure on the EV's though.

breh

強いだね
I think people are really underestimating offensive TR... I ran it on my TR team with Psychic; it's really really good.

Oh and explosion needs to be removed; the nerf makes it useless.

Anyway, Rankurusu is cool mostly because it has significant bulk and enough attack to get OHKOes on lots of cool stuff - Shanderaa, Tyranitar, and Nattorei (needs spikes) are OHKOed with the respective coverage move, and Psychic is really quite strong. Magic Guard is a fantastic ability and pairs well with Scizor's U-turn.

I think people are really underestimating offensive TR... I ran it on my TR team with Psychic; it's really really good.

Oh and explosion needs to be removed; the nerf makes it useless.

Anyway, Rankurusu is cool mostly because it has significant bulk and enough attack to get OHKOes on lots of cool stuff - Shanderaa, Tyranitar, and Nattorei (needs spikes) are OHKOed with the respective coverage move, and Psychic is really quite strong. Magic Guard is a fantastic ability and pairs well with Scizor's U-turn.
Offensive TR Rankurusu is a beast. Even with only investing 252 Evs in HP, Rankurusu will still rarely be OHKOd by non-STAB SE attacks and will get Trick Room up. From there, it can use its Base 125 SpAtk and free Life Orb boost to OHKO most Pokemon that are hit SE by one of its attacks.

I posted this yesterday in the Rohbushin thread, but it got swallowed up by a flame war. So I'll post it in the actual Rankurusu thread.

How does Rankurusu do against Rohbushin? Seems like the Cell can come in on a resisted Mach/Drain Punch and take the hit fairly well with his bulk. Because Rankurusu is actually even slower than Roh, the Clown's Payback won't do as much damage, so he'll either switch out or Bulk Up and hope he doesn't get a Psychic/Psycho Shock to the face. Meanwhile, Rank can Recover off the damage he took from switching in. I guess this can lure in T-tar, and you can do whatever you want from there. The only truly terrible thing that I can imagine happening is that your opponent switches in a Shanderaa, but you might be able to Shadow Ball her or predict her arrival and switch in something of your own to counter back.

Then again, this is me going off of speculation and forum talk without any number crunching.

Pretty heavily dependent on exactly what sort of Rankurusu and Roobushin you're running.

Bulky Rankurusu completely grinds Roobushin into the dirt, offensive variants however can't really do anything if Roobushin is at +1 since it 2HKOs with Payback so unless it goes straight for the Mach Punch/HammerArm/Whatever you can't really do much unless it's already lost a fair chunk of its health.

I should've specified, but I was referring to a bulky Rankurusu build (though not any one in particular, just one with Psychic and Recover on it). Though, like I mentioned, I guess you could have Shadow Ball and Focus Blast on there as well to check switch-ins, or a possible HP Fire and one of the other two to take care of Scizor switch-ins. Not too sure about the EV's and all of that.

The Rohbushin I outlined was the standard Bulk Up/Drain Punch/Mach Punch/Payback bulky sweeper build.

I'm just glad to see that our Happy Cell does well against one of the biggest threats so far.

A bulky Rankurusu with no SpA EVs probably will not be able to switch into an already +1 Roopushin and KO the SpD bulky variety with a Psycho Shock. You need to run Psychic. But if it's a +2 Roopushin or a +1 with Guts activated, you're in danger from Stone Edge. Lots of variables and I can't crunch the numbers here at work.

All in all probably one of the safer bets. Really comes down to the EVs.

Offensive TR Rankurusu is absolute beast, it ohkos so many of its switch ins and seriously mains other that can be finished next, such as Sazandora and Tyranitar. With Psychic, Shadow Ball and Focus Blast he get SE damage on many of the 'mons that would like to switch into him, such as Shandera who is OHKOed. I have yet to try a bulkier set though despite nice HP, his defenses seem slightly to low to effectively utilise.

Roobushin doesn't like using Stone Edge, but Payback will not double against Rankurus. Even a +1 Burn Boosted Roobushin has trouble with Rankurus, due to Payback no longer doubling on the switch in, and Rankurus being slower. +2 Stone Edge does up to 88% to Max HP Rankurus, if it hits, but as I said, Roobushin seldom uses it. Unboosted Payback has the same power as Stone Edge against Rankurus, mind you.

Max SpAtk Quiet LO Psycho Shock does 254-300 damage to +1 Def Roobushin. That's 70-83% to 40 HP Roobushin. Without the boost it is OHKOed.

No EV spread allows Roobushin to survive a Max SpAtk LO Psychic from Rankurus. Careful/Sassy Max SpDef Roobushin cannot even guarantee surviving it, and loses a significant amount of power.

Rankurus is an excellent switch in, I'd say.

Try burning Roopo by Tricking a Flame Orb over :D then just Recover the damage before proceeding to whip out Psychic
That's not a good idea because Roopushin is often seen with Guts, which boosts its Attack rather than halving it. As a result, Rankurusu will have to eat boosted Paybacks/Stone Edges.

Here's a variant of the dual-screen set that was posted earlier that I came up with:
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Psychic/Psycho Shock
-Explosion
Nature: Quiet
Item: Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpA
Ability: Magic Guard

Basically, this Rankurusu sets up screens, then blows up in the opponent's face with Explosion to give sweepers a free switch-in to set up. Psychic or Psycho Shock is for offense so you're not Taunt bait.

Explosion is going to be pathetically weak on that Rankurusu and makes me wonder if it really is even worth sacrificing something this useful for just a few screen setups tons of other stuff could do too. Keep in mind Rankurusu only has 65 attack and Explosion damage was effectively cut in half.

Explosion is going to be pathetically weak on that Rankurusu and makes me wonder if it really is even worth sacrificing something this useful for just a few screen setups tons of other stuff could do too. Keep in mind Rankurusu only has 65 attack and Explosion damage was effectively cut in half.
Then, maybe Thunder Wave or another offensive move could go in place of Explosion?

Another endeavor user with Magic Guard!

Even better; this one has Trick Room.

Yuniran @ Focus Sash
Magic Guard: Quiet
LEVEL 1
Endeavor
Trick Room
Toxic(?)
Hail(?)

That's not a good idea because Roopushin is often seen with Guts, which boosts its Attack rather than halving it. As a result, Rankurusu will have to eat boosted Paybacks/Stone Edges.

Here's a variant of the dual-screen set that was posted earlier that I came up with:
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Psychic/Psycho Shock
-Explosion
Nature: Quiet
Item: Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpA
Ability: Magic Guard

Basically, this Rankurusu sets up screens, then blows up in the opponent's face with Explosion to give sweepers a free switch-in to set up. Psychic or Psycho Shock is for offense so you're not Taunt bait.
Thanks to Magic Guard why not Toxic stall with only one screen and recover? Being immune to Toxic, weather and Leech Seed etc it can easily outstall something with Leftovers and HP investment. Make it Careful and give it Reflect, Toxic, Recover and Psychic.

Trick Room is quite an effective Anti-Meta team. At least half the Meta is Heavy Offense and with many bulky trick roomers and effective slow sweepers that can still be threats without TrickRoom in play, this has proved to be a problem to my teams.

I posted this yesterday in the Rohbushin thread, but it got swallowed up by a flame war. So I'll post it in the actual Rankurusu thread.

How does Rankurusu do against Rohbushin? Seems like the Cell can come in on a resisted Mach/Drain Punch and take the hit fairly well with his bulk. Because Rankurusu is actually even slower than Roh, the Clown's Payback won't do as much damage, so he'll either switch out or Bulk Up and hope he doesn't get a Psychic/Psycho Shock to the face. Meanwhile, Rank can Recover off the damage he took from switching in. I guess this can lure in T-tar, and you can do whatever you want from there. The only truly terrible thing that I can imagine happening is that your opponent switches in a Shanderaa, but you might be able to Shadow Ball her or predict her arrival and switch in something of your own to counter back.

Then again, this is me going off of speculation and forum talk without any number crunching.
I ran 176 HP/80 Def/252 SpAtk with Quiet as an offensive Trick Room user and it could take on Rohpushin rather well. Since it's slower than Rohpushin, Payback only has 50 Base Power, so Rankurusu would never be 2HKOd by Leftovers variants (or atleast the ones I faced).

Most of the time, I was able to easily bring it in on a Fighting attack or Bulk Up, take the Payback and get Trick Room up, and then take the possible Mach Punch and KO with Psychic. Rankurusu would end up with just under half health, which isn't too bad considering it has Magic Guard to make it immune to entry hazards and Sandstorm damage.

Edit: Never use Explosion on Rankurusu. With 65 Base Atk, it wouldn't be doing a whole lot even if it still had the Def drop. Without the Def drop, you're just wasting your Rankurusu, since anything that's not completely frail can easily take the hit.

Then, maybe Thunder Wave or another offensive move could go in place of Explosion?
Thunder Wave would be a fine addition if you're running only one attack. I should note though Regeneration over Magic Guard would probably have more use to you.

That sets main purpose anyway is just to come in and set dual screens, hazard damage could be easily countered. He won't ever be staying for long so he can heal in between switches since you risk having a setup thrown on you.

I don't think dual attacks is necessarily good on Rankurusu if you're going to run Light Clay. Half the fun of Rankurusu I find is that thanks to Magic Guard and his already high offense you can throw on Life Orb to take advantage of his perfect coverage in Focus Blast/Shadowball.

How does Rankurusu do against Rohbushin? Seems like the Cell can come in on a resisted Mach/Drain Punch and take the hit fairly well with his bulk. Because Rankurusu is actually even slower than Roh, the Clown's Payback won't do as much damage, so he'll either switch out or Bulk Up and hope he doesn't get a Psychic/Psycho Shock to the face.
All in all Rohpushin's effectiveness against the little pillow highly depends on the set they run on both sides.

If you're facing a full offensive version with STAB you'll always lose 1v1 with Rankurusu. He is simply far too bulky and its naive to think you'll ever OHKO it without a powerful SE attack (eg. STAB Megahorn) even if you have Guts activated.

The only particular time Rohbushin tends to stand a chance is if its against the dual attack TR variety aka Shadowball/Focus Blast w/Recover and only if Rohbushin is Bulked Up or pre-statused with Guts. But be aware Rankurusu can still easily 2HKO with the non-STAB LO Shadowball and can easily use TR to nerf your payback while recovering off damage.

For the record I run a slightly bulkier one compared to DDRMaster's with 172 HP/152 Def/212 S.atk which only ever takes around 38% on average from faster Payback and 75%ish from full power and 10%ish from a non-Iron Fist Mach Punch.

Wonder Room

"Defense and Special Attack are switched for five turns

Acid Armor is an Egg move. Will it end up raising Special Attack once Wonder Room ends?

Also, how is it as a Gyro Ball user?

Wouldn't Regeneration be great on Dual Screens?
So it can set up screens more than once!
it would be great.
oh i also used rankurusu outside of TR as a dual screener but faced problems from Ttar. i sticked with cresselia for dual screener. oh and a set i want to test is an offensive thunder wave user.it goes like this:

leftovers/lifeorb
252 hp, 252 sp.atk
thunder wave
psycic
focus blast
recover/ tba

This thing is great! im using a CM recover psycho shock and focus blast set and i have swept entire teams (well just abt) with this thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)