ORAS OU Returning player...help my rain team out!

So the last time I played competitively was long before the Aegislash and M-Mawile bans, so I am a little rusty when it comes to team-building and understanding the new meta. After several failed attempts at making a solid team I think I've got something worth sharing. Having said that I am eager to see any and all suggestions for the team, as I'd like to try climbing the ladder when I get some spare time (especially now that M-Mence is out of the picture).

Now weather is something I've always wanted to build around but since Gen 5 I have never been able to make it work. I'm not sure if it's just beginners luck (or more likely I was facing some meh teams) but I found myself winning the majority of matches. So with that here goes:

The Squad

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Encore
- Rest
- Toxic

Can't have a rain team without a weather inducer, can ya? I went with a defensive Politoed so I can keep him around throughout the game to refresh the weather. Rest might not be super common but I've found that I can keep Politoed alive throughout the match with well-timed Rest. Scald is obvious STAB with chance for burn. Encore screws over set-up sweepers that try to use Politoed as set-up bait. Toxic is to wear down some annoying walls like Quagsire, (Mega) Slowbro, etc.

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Low Kick
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Swampert's mega evolution, typing and ability makes him perfect for this weather. Immunity to priority thunder wave (Thundurus, Klefki) is absolutely amazing. I went for an all out attacking set so Swampert can muscle through almost anything. Low Kick is for coverage versus Ferrothorn, Waterfall/Earthquake are obvious STAB moves and Ice Punch is for cleaning up against the assortment of dragons in OU. 156 speed EVs allows it to outspeed M-Sceptile in the rain and speed creep other Swamperts using 152 EVs.

Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Thunder

Ah, Goodra. One of my favorite XY additions. Unfortunately Goodra isn't super competitive in OU under normal circumstances, however with the benefit of Rain and Hydration Goodra can actually put a lot of pressure on opposing teams and also aids this team by easily absorbing any and all statuses. Between Politoed's Toxic+Rest and Goodra's Thunder+Rest I can adequately abate the problem of M-Slowbro. Ice Beam and Thunder (perfect accuracy in the rain) gives Goodra the much appreciated bolt-beam coverage in OU. Fire Blast is for Skarmory and Ferrothorn when out of the rain.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock

The other member of my defensive core. Skarmory and Goodra have basically perfect defensive synergy with one another. Skarmory (as everyone knows) is a defensive beast. The moveset and EVs shouldn't surprise anyone. Brave Bird for Taunt users (and some annoying grass types), Roost to heal damage, Whirlwind to phase out set-up sweepers like Clefable and the like and Stealth Rocks for entry hazard support. Shed Shell is the new go-to item for steels trying to escape Magnezone and also gives me the opportunity to switch into M-Swampert.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability : Levitate
EVs 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs : 0 Atk
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Hidden Power (Fighting) / Roost
-Defog

Originally I had a Scarf+Trick Latios in this spot, but I changed the set after a few suggestions to change him to a Life Orb and Defog variant. Draco Meteor+Psyshock are the obvious STAB moves. Defog to clear the field of hazards to bring in Politoed more safely. For the fourth move slot I am not sure if I want to go with Hidden Power Fighting or go with Roost. I'm tempted to go with Roost, as I'm not sure if the HP coverage will get Latios out of a tricky situation with the usual Pursuit trappers+Ferrothorn.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

And finally, Kabutops. I felt like I needed another rain abuser and this thing is such a monster in the rain. I'm not sure if having Low Kick over Swords Dance would be better (basically another shot at handling Ferrothorn). The set is pretty straightforward. Swords Dance if given the opportunity combined with Aqua Jet+Waterfall in the rain makes Kabutops a threat. I also chose Kabutops for his access to priority to better handle other priority users like Bisharp.

Some threats I have to dance around are: Azumarill, Greninja (but who doesn't?)

A few replays from just putzing around trying the team out:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-186984876
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-187170937

Last edited:

Pent

dumb broad
Welcome to Smogon! You say you're rather rusty, but this team is rather good. I really enjoy it even though I hate Rain teams. But there are always changes to be made.
The first change I would like to make is to Latios. Since you have no Spikes to set up, I would run the typical HP Fighting, Sweeper Latios. Your team is rather fast, and you don't need a scarfed Latios to go along with it. Here's a set you could use.
Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

This Latios fits to your team a lot better than a scarfed one would. Secondly, I would recommend Stone Edge/Rock Slide on Swampert instead of Low Kick. But that is based on your decision.

Hope it helps.

Nice rain abuse team you have there. A couple of things I would like to point out are there you need a defogger if you want to keep your politoed alive through the match. I would recommend changing latios to a LO sethe with defog. It still handles the annoying pink blob with Psyshock which has been boosted by LO.

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Hidden Power ( Fire) / Roost
-Defog

You could have roost if you are confident that swampert can take out the steel types. SD > low Kick imo cause + 2 Aqua Jet in the rain KOs lando-t and priority is always good for any team. Moreover you have Fire Blast on Goodra so it can take out Ferrothorns.

Welcome to Smogon! You say you're rather rusty, but this team is rather good. I really enjoy it even though I hate Rain teams. But there are always changes to be made.
The first change I would like to make is to Latios. Since you have no Spikes to set up, I would run the typical HP Fighting, Sweeper Latios. Your team is rather fast, and you don't need a scarfed Latios to go along with it. Here's a set you could use.
Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Defog

This Latios fits to your team a lot better than a scarfed one would. Secondly, I would recommend Stone Edge/Rock Slide on Swampert instead of Low Kick. But that is based on your decision.

Hope it helps.

Sparkl3y don't accuse me of usingredients your post this time. Cause your posthe came just as I posted mine and low Kick is pretty useful and rock slide/ SE doesn't hit anything that ice punch - waterfall - eq doesn't kill

Pent

dumb broad
Sparkl3y don't accuse me of usingredients your post this time. Cause your posthe came just as I posted mine and low Kick is pretty useful and rock slide/ SE doesn't hit anything that ice punch - waterfall - eq doesn't kill
As I said, it was their decision.
The only problem I had with the post last time was because it came about 20 minutes after mine. So, i won't accuse you this time. :D
It's surprising, but I have feelings too

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Defog

Hope it helps.
Thank you! Means a lot, especially when considering that you normally hate rain teams. I find that a lot of Rain teams bypass a defensive core which doesn't really mesh with my ideal balanced gameplay. I do maintain that I am a little out of practice though. I'm not sure when Aegislash and Mega Mawile were banned, but the last time I played PS was before that. And trust me, I've trashed like 8 or so teams already trying to figure out the current metagame before coming up with this.

I will give your suggestion for Latios a shot! I originally didn't Scarf him for offensive reasons, mostly just to screw over some annoying walls with Trick.

Low Kick on Swampert is mostly because I'm terrified of being walled by Ferrothorn. What Pokes did you have in mind for Stone Edge/Rock Slide? I'm a teensy bit rusty in OU, but I feel like Waterfall, EQ and Ice Punch covers just about everything unless there's something huge I've missed.

Pent

dumb broad
Thank you! Means a lot, especially when considering that you normally hate rain teams. I find that a lot of Rain teams bypass a defensive core which doesn't really mesh with my ideal balanced gameplay. I do maintain that I am a little out of practice though. I'm not sure when Aegislash and Mega Mawile were banned, but the last time I played PS was before that. And trust me, I've trashed like 8 or so teams already trying to figure out the current metagame before coming up with this.

I will give your suggestion for Latios a shot! I originally didn't Scarf him for offensive reasons, mostly just to screw over some annoying walls with Trick.

Low Kick on Swampert is mostly because I'm terrified of being walled by Ferrothorn. What Pokes did you have in mind for Stone Edge/Rock Slide? I'm a teensy bit rusty in OU, but I feel like Waterfall, EQ and Ice Punch covers just about everything unless there's something huge I've missed.
It's mostly for coverage reasons and better Damage. But as Disciple_1 said in the previous post, it's better to keep Low Kick. I'm rather tired right now, so the best of advice might not be given.

Good Luck with your team.

It's mostly for coverage reasons and better Damage. But as Disciple_1 said in the previous post, it's better to keep Low Kick. I'm rather tired right now, so the best of advice might not be given.

Good Luck with your team.
Thanks! And I agree with both of your suggestions for Latios ( Disciple_1 ). I'm not sure which set will work out better (HP Fire, Fighting or Roost) but I will try them all out.

Pent

dumb broad
Thanks! And I agree with both of your suggestions for Latios ( Disciple_1 ). I'm not sure which set will work out better (HP Fire, Fighting or Roost) but I will try them all out.
You're running rain. Fire is weakened by rain. Therefore run Fighting, it will do a lot to Ferro.

You're running rain. Fire is weakened by rain. Therefore run Fighting, it will do a lot to Ferro.
Yeah I've been running a few Calcs. I think it's between Roost and HP Fighting. HP Fighting nukes Bisharp (assuming they go for Pursuit and not Sucker Punch) and can do a bit to Tyranitar, Ferro and Heatran. HP Fire doesn't land a KO on either Scizor or Ferro in the rain. Though with Leech Seed+Protect+Lefties I think Ferro can outstall HP Fighting Latios...I will try them both out of course. :)

Yeah I've been running a few Calcs. I think it's between Roost and HP Fighting. HP Fighting nukes Bisharp (assuming they go for Pursuit and not Sucker Punch) and can do a bit to Tyranitar, Ferro and Heatran. HP Fire doesn't land a KO on either Scizor or Ferro in the rain. Though with Leech Seed+Protect+Lefties I think Ferro can outstall HP Fighting Latios...I will try them both out of course. :)
In rain teams they wont expect hp cause most latitwins run hp fire so it would mostly be a pursuit rather than a Sucker Punch.

And Sparkl3y I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. :D btw good rate

Remember in UU gen5 when they couldn't use any pokes that had Drizzle? But what they did to compensate was using two or more Pokemon in their team to set up weather, this is how I think your team should run. Put Rain Dance on Swampert over the Low Kick so you're not screwed if you lose Politoed, and put Scizor on the team over Kabutops with an offensive set running Superpower (which I will recommend below), you don't need the Swift Swim effect to "abuse" the rain, you can just use it to your advantage by dampening the blow on Scizor's x4 fire weakness.

Scizor @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- U-turn

With this set Scizor can take dragon/fairy type special attacks even better than your Skarmory can and he covers a lot of things as well, such as ferro/chansey/fairy/ghost/psychich.

Last edited:
1. I would suggest Ferrothorn over Skarmory because this is rain balance and Rain Balance usually just needs one type of hazards (SR usually) Also it has better typing synergy then skarmory and rain helps it take a hit from fire types better. (Thunder Resist still helps no matter

2.On Swampert I would suggest to put superpower or keep low kick on to hit Ferrothorn and the latter

3.I would suggest that the Latios you have can have recover/roost over Defog this increases latios' longevity, Defog I find to be less important because your rain team like most, usually don't care about hazards but it is up to preference. You can also run Rapid Spin on Kabutops over SD if you are worried or just keep defog and HP fighting on because hitting ferrothorn is important on rain but again it is up to preference

4. I think you should put Draco Meteor over Fire Blast on Goodra for STAB

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip/Gyro Ball

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Low Kick/Superpower
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Hidden Power (Fighting) / Roost
-Defog/Roost

or

Kabutops @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance/ Rapid Spin
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder[/SIZE]

PrinceNeos
Thank you for the suggestion! Scizor over Kabutops is something I was actually considering, as I kinda felt like Kabutops was a pretty frail addition to an otherwise bulky team. I think I'll give it a shot, as I was looking for a place to fit a steel move for some annoying Fairy types. I do think I am going to keep Low Kick/Superpower over Rain Dance on Swampert though. With Defog, Rest and a defensive spread Politoed usually doesn't have a problem making it through the match.

Shadow_Sneak
What do you think about the suggestion of Scizor over Kabutops from above? I know Ferrothorn is bulky and does well on Rain teams, but with the synergy between Skarmory and Goodra I find I'm pretty solid defensively. I'm not sure if Ferro really offers the team much from Skarmory, though Skarmory gives me a solid Flying type to switch into (Mold Breaker) Earthquakes and has the ability to phase out set-up sweepers.

I'm still figuring out the moves for Latios. But I'm not sure if Dragon STAB is necessary for Goodra. Fire Blast is kind of a last ditch effort vs Ferro.

PrinceNeos
Thank you for the suggestion! Scizor over Kabutops is something I was actually considering, as I kinda felt like Kabutops was a pretty frail addition to an otherwise bulky team. I think I'll give it a shot, as I was looking for a place to fit a steel move for some annoying Fairy types. I do think I am going to keep Low Kick/Superpower over Rain Dance on Swampert though. With Defog, Rest and a defensive spread Politoed usually doesn't have a problem making it through the match.

Shadow_Sneak
What do you think about the suggestion of Scizor over Kabutops from above? I know Ferrothorn is bulky and does well on Rain teams, but with the synergy between Skarmory and Goodra I find I'm pretty solid defensively. I'm not sure if Ferro really offers the team much from Skarmory, though Skarmory gives me a solid Flying type to switch into (Mold Breaker) Earthquakes and has the ability to phase out set-up sweepers.

I'm still figuring out the moves for Latios. But I'm not sure if Dragon STAB is necessary for Goodra. Fire Blast is kind of a last ditch effort vs Ferro.
I would use Kingdra as you lack many ways to beat Slowbro outside of goodra which can get taken out if hit by a physical dragon if skarm is gone.

Next at Skarm and Ferro Ferrothorn and Goodra provide basically the same synergy its sort of a 50/50 and up to you as Ferro provides bulk on both sides and leech seed with an extra electric while skarm is a defogger and has whirlwind it still has semi-worse type synergy.

Up to you as I was just giving suggestions and I still think F-blast on goodra is unreliable especially on a rain team.

and are you gonna put s-power or low kick on pert?

I would use Kingdra as you lack many ways to beat Slowbro outside of goodra which can get taken out if hit by a physical dragon if skarm is gone.

Next at Skarm and Ferro Ferrothorn and Goodra provide basically the same synergy its sort of a 50/50 and up to you as Ferro provides bulk on both sides and leech seed with an extra electric while skarm is a defogger and has whirlwind it still has semi-worse type synergy.

Up to you as I was just giving suggestions and I still think F-blast on goodra is unreliable especially on a rain team.

and are you gonna put s-power or low kick on pert?
Kingdra is an interesting option though I do lose any form of priority.

I might try out Ferrothorn over Skarmory. Like you said it's a bit of a 50/50 between the two since they're both so good at what they do.

I think I wanna keep Low Kick on Pert, as I don't want to have my stats drop since his goal is to KO as many things as possible before the rain wears out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)