Retro Team

The Retro Team

I have always wanted to create a team with only the first pokemons. But I didn't think it was possible to make a good team with only the first 151 pokemon available. I know some of you might say that I'm a noob that limit myself in this way, but i feel more like it's a challange. It's fun to try something different.

I have realised that only genaration 1 pokemon doesnt work for a competetive team, so i have decided to put a few pokemon from newer genarations on my team.

But without further discussion, lets get to the team:

At a glance:

In dept:

Changes= Bold

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Roar
---

I decided to use Swampert because he does very much for my team, he is a good lead that get out stealth rock reliably. Ice beam helps dragons and grass pokes switching in. Roar is very helpfull when a pokemon sets up and i cant counter it with encore from clefable. A ground pokemon is always nice to avoid electric attacks, which I use to the best of my power.

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP/44 Def/212 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Encore
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
---

I couldn't use Blissey as special wall so I tried this set out to great success. I have never used Clefable before and I must say it is excellent as both a special wall and stall breaker. It takes special attacks extremely well when they are not boosted and if someone tries to set up i can use either encore or toxic to keep them from sweeping.

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 188 HP/252 Def/68 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Surf
- Protect
- Toxic
---

Wish support is not a must for my team but it helps my overall survivability, and Vaporeon works great with Clefable. Protection helps scout moves and can be used for extra poison damage aswell. I am still not sure whether to use Ice beam or HP electric. Ice is helpfull against dragons and if i predict grass pokes coming in. But HP electric helps to kill those water types that want to stall me out.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP/228 Def/32 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave
---

Physically defensive Zapdos can stay in and take a beating from most of Clefables counters, it is also great against steel types. I was unsure wether to use HP grass or ice. I used grass first, but i realised i was struggeling with Dragonite so i changed it to ice. Zapdos works well with this team, almost all the pokes that can kill Zapdos easily i can either deal with by sending in either Clefable or Vaporeon.

Forretress (M) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/112 Atk/144 Def
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
---

I feel that I need a spiker on this team and Forretress is excellent at the job. He is also useful against dragonite which has caused a bit of problem for me before. I am still not sure if i should use toxic spikes instead of spikes, for now i went with spikes because many pokemon are immune to toxic spikes. I will probably not use explosion likely, but it's nice to have if i need to go out with a bang.

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
---

Tyranitar really works well with this team, providing extra residual damage with sandstorm. It is also a great revenge killer and helps kill off psychic and ghost pokemon with pursuit. Many people expect tyranitar to be scarfed nowdays so its not really a suprise to most people, but i can still get some kills with him.

My strategy ?

If you haven't guessed it yet, I mainly focus on getting as many pokemon as possible poisoned and then just stall them out. I like to use prediction as a weapon and it has worked very well so far. I misspredict a few times and loose a pokemon I wish I hadn't, but you cant win them all ;P. I have Tyranitar to kill off troublesome pokemon that i cant stall out. Toxic spikes is a pluss but not necesary because of toxic on Clefable and Vaporion

Aerodactyl is a suicide lead and Gengar is a hyper-offensive Pokemon, but Clefable, Vaporeon, Zapdos, and Nidoqueen are more suited for stall. I think a stall team could be quite effective here, especially when you consider the tanking ability of Pokemon like Venusaur.

When considering the original 151, I'm surprised you skipped over Gyarados, Machamp, and Dragonite. They're three extremely potent forces in OU and are nowhere to be found in your team. Consider testing one or more of those if you want a more offensive-oriented team.

Starmie could also be used as a sweeper. Snorlax can replace something like Clefable if you want to hit harder. Tentacruel should definitely replace Nidoqueen, being a more reliable T-spiker and Rapid Spinner.

Aerodactyl is a suicide lead and Gengar is a hyper-offensive Pokemon, but Clefable, Vaporeon, Zapdos, and Nidoqueen are more suited for stall. I think a stall team could be quite effective here, especially when you consider the tanking ability of Pokemon like Venusaur.

When considering the original 151, I'm surprised you skipped over Gyarados, Machamp, and Dragonite. They're three extremely potent forces in OU and are nowhere to be found in your team. Consider testing one or more of those if you want a more offensive-oriented team.
I think this is a really important point to note. Looking at your core, it seems like a good basis for a potent stall team but Aerodactyl seems unfit for that kind of play. Sure, you can almost always guarantee stealth rocks up, but the cost of one whole pokemon is pretty nasty for a team that may have to rely on switching about.

I have thought about what you say, i just dont know which pokemon to use as a lead instead of aero, any suggestions ? I want the team to be a stall team, so the pokes you mention like gyarados wouldnt fit in the team.

Rest Talk gyara is one of the best stall pokes in the game due to intimidate and roar forcing switches. For Aerodactyl, taunt can be dropped for roost to make it more bulky, but it really needs sandstorm to be effective with that set.

I would probably suggest something like a Trickspecs starmie for a lead, to take out as many threats as possible before it dies. I run a Trickspecs Azelf as my lead, and whilst it doesn't get Stealth Rock up, it always gets me one or even two kills due to the surprise factor. Starmie can outrun and destroy a massive portion of the metagame's leads with its elemental moves, so I really think it's worth a shot. It can take hits better than Azelf or Alakazam and has dual STAB to play with. Here's a stat chart, and how it goes against some other leads in OU...

252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (Timid/Modest)

- Hydro Pump/Surf
- Thunderbolt/Psychic
- Ice Beam/Psychic
- Trick

Azelf - It'll get stealth rock up, but it'll be OHKO'd straight after by Hydro Pump or even Surf with certainty.

Aerodactyl - You can't hurt it immediately if it has focus sash, but trick will utterly destroy it if it doesn't Taunt. It's always worth a try, because if it works, he'll be crippled, and you can get some hits in on a switch. Plus, Focus Sash has great utility for Starmie, giving it a free hit to try and dent its counters with. It'll help you take out Weavile, Heracross, and put a dent in Tyranitar, Magnezone and Scizor, which are all common switch ins. If Specs didn't net you so many surprise OHKO's, Focus Sash would have been a much better option.

Swampert - Surf and Psychic will both 2HKO, so it won't do much other than set up Rocks since it'll be outsped.

Metagross - 2HKO'd by Surf or Hydro Pump, so again, all it can do is set up rocks.

Machamp - Lol. If he stays in, he'll be OHKO'd by Psychic almost 100% of the time.

Infernape - Is destroyed by Surf and Psychic even when you don't have Specs. Expect him to switch or try and get suicide Rocks up. You can even try and trick for the Focus Sash if you're brave, but be wary if he switches and comes back with a +1 Fire Blast on anything but Vaporeon.

Ninjask - This is the only real casualty of removing Aerodactyl, and unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do about it, other than sending in Clefable and getting an Encore on it. Alternatively, you can pray to god that he swords dances and lets you trick specs onto him. The focus sash is nice, and Ninjask will essentially be worthless.

Jirachi - Surf and Hydro Pump will 2HKO, so he'll set up rocks and not much else.

Roserade - Psychic and Ice Beam will destroy this thing, but then again, since he has a sash and will probably use Leaf Storm, it's not the best matchup. Think of this as Aerodactyl that can OHKO you. Tricking might work, since you can lock him into Leaf Storm and use his own Focus Sash against him, and you can then OHKO him with Psychic, even without Specs.

Heatran - OHKO'd by Surf before it can do anything. Pray that you find a Heatran lead, and pray that it stays in. Since it almost certainly won't, you might as well trick, because you can still kill it with Hydro Pump straight after if it stays in, and you can trick a mostly useless shuca berry onto anything that switches.

Tyranitar - I have no idea whether Sand Stream activates before you can attack, but if it does, you're screwed, and if it doesn't, you can OHKO with Surf. Hmmmm.

Gliscor - Outsped and OHKO'd by Surf or Ice Beam.

Hippowdon - Outsped and OHKO'd by Surf, 2HKO'd by everything else.

Etc, etc. If anything tries to stay in on Starmie, it will almost certainly be 2HKO'd and likely OHKO'd, which automatically puts you at an advantage. If anything, he'll switch if he sees this, which also gives you an advantage since it gives you a free attack. It'll really help to make dents in the opponen't team. Plus, Gengar can support this to no end, OHKO Tyranitar with Focus Blast, and revenge killing anything you manage to dent earlier with ease. If there's a powerful electric user, you can switch into Nidoqueen with impunity and start spiking.

Also, feel free to run Rapid Spin or Recover over Ice Beam/Psychic if it's not getting any use.

Yeah, some issues just from the line up.
Suicide Lead
Special Wall
Physical Wall x3
Special Sweeper

Oh, and lets not forget you have 4 Physical moves, 2 when you don't include your suicide lead.

Ok, first up, as mentioned by others, Aerodactyl is not really suited to this team, and hey, what is Nidoqueen doing? Quite honestly Nidoqueen is subpar in OU, whereas the wonderful Swampert can fill both of these roles, just the standard 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def Relaxed Nature, with Roar/Ice Beam/Earthquake/Stealth Rock should be fine.

Then after doing this, you could chuck a ResTalk Machamp over where Nidoqueen was. Simply because you want a Status Absorber, and Machamp can check Tyranitar really well, as well as give you some Physical presence. The following set should do:
Machamp @ Leftovers
Adamant - No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Moves:
~ DynamicPunch
~ Payback / Stone Edge / Ice Punch
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk

I also recommend changing Gengar to Timid, because otherwise he loses to Scarfed or +1 base 100s.

I have decided to switch out aerodactyl with swampert and nidoqueen with forretress. It was fun to try to create a team from only the 151 first pokemon but i realised it didn't work without a few from newer generations.

I definitely recommend Offensive Snorlax over Clefable as your Special wall because Snorlax can take hits, and dish 'em out in return. >;) I love to run Offensive Snorlax with Pursuit because it isn't expected to OHKO retreating Gengars and put the hurt on Starmie, which can be quite detrimental towards your team.

Now the defensive core is much stronger. :D Snorlax, Vaporeon, and Zapdos are all the defense you'll need. Speaking of Zapdos, I definitely recommend Hidden Power Grass on it instead of Ice because it gets completely walled by Swampert otherwise. There isn't another direct counter to Swampert in this team either, so it would be the best of your interest to make the change. Don't worry about Dragonite because you now have Swampert to take care of it.

>_>; I didn't get to finish my whole post yesterday so the following quote may not apply anymore, but you can check it out anyway. It was a continuation of the above about a replacement for Nidoqueen.

The reason I didn't mention Nidoqueen in the defensive core is because she's frickin' weak and doesn't contribute much besides set up Toxic Spikes. Instead of Nidoqueen, use Nidoking. Your team doesn't have much power as is and is in need of a stall breaker. Nidoking does that all. He'll really help out Gengar's clean up by forcing switches and gettin' some decent damage on your enemies.

But since you've decided to break the Kanto restriction, I think you should try a Scarfed Tyranitar over your Scarfed Gengar to help Swampert deal with Azelf. Also doesn't leave you Pursuit-weak. :P

I have tried choice scarf t-tar for a bit and it have been working good mostly, i think im going to use him. Im not sure about snorlax yet though, clefable may not seam that good if you just look at stats, but she is a really good special wall that can stall for ages and encore works wonder if you can predict a few moves.

I have tried choice scarf t-tar for a bit and it have been working good mostly, i think im going to use him. Im not sure about snorlax yet though, clefable may not seam that good if you just look at stats, but she is a really good special wall that can stall for ages and encore works wonder if you can predict a few moves.
You should, but only one problem, other revenge killers like Jirachi with Iron head are a threat to scarftar.

If you're trying to get most of your opponent's pokemon toxic'd, then you probably want more pokemon that have toxic. I would therefore recommend toxic on vaporeon (a classic set that was more popular in the days of platinum wifi battling) or use Toxic spikes Tentacruel instead of forree. It also has the rapid spin, and shouldn't mess up your team's synergy too much.

Good, good. :) ScarfTar really does suit this team very well.

Although Clefable surely isn't horrible, Snorlax is much better than Clefable at what Clefable does. >_>; What's a Special wall that can't even touch any Gengar? Gengar should really be taken into consideration because nothing on your team can take more than two hits from Gengar, though Forretress may stand a chance if Gengar lacks HP Fire. Still, being able to force switches against over half of your team warrants some attention.

Good, good. :) ScarfTar really does suit this team very well.

Although Clefable surely isn't horrible, Snorlax is much better than Clefable at what Clefable does. >_>; What's a Special wall that can't even touch any Gengar? Gengar should really be taken into consideration because nothing on your team can take more than two hits from Gengar, though Forretress may stand a chance if Gengar lacks HP Fire. Still, being able to force switches against over half of your team warrants some attention.
You make a point about gengar, but i do have t-tar now to take care of him. what i usually did to take out gengar earlier was to use my own gengar which outsped his and that usually got me the kill, if it got a sub up i just encored him on focus blast and switched to gengar to kill him off and he couldn't do anything.

You make a point about gengar, but i do have t-tar now to take care of him. what i usually did to take out gengar earlier was to use my own gengar which outsped his and that usually got me the kill, if it got a sub up i just encored him on focus blast and switched to gengar to kill him off and he couldn't do anything.
If you're not using Gengar, you can't use the Encore => Scarfed Gengar combo. >_>; And if you do go back to Scarfed Gengar, you're open for enemy Scarfed Tyranitars. Plus, you'll lose your lead Azelf counter.

And this is why Offensive Snorlax is for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)