VGC Regulation G - Snow and a Snail

So, I made a previous Rate My Team thread and with a few hundred more games under my belt in Reg F I thought I'd give another crack at another slow team coming into Regulation G. I like slower, grinder teams and with some inspiration from the recent success of snow, I thought I'd make something with that.

Goodra-Hisui @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 228 HP / 236 Def / 44 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Heavy Slam
- Shelter
- Life Dew

My favorite mon of the last format makes a return in this one. This thing has the bulk to take on a Restricted format, I'm confident in it. This thing has two jobs and it does it quite well, it either is a body press monster with respectable damage after one Shelter or it's a very bulky Life Dew spammer who supports whatever is to the right of it very well. Leftovers is a great filler item but if you plan on including terrain, I've used Psychic Seed on it quite well to give it an Assault Vest bulk and to give it a better time against Flutter. Everyone in the previous thread is correct... Shell Armor is incredible. There are so many games that got locked down because it was impossible to crit fish this thing. Tera Fairy is just because it's a fantastic type. This thing hates Lando... which is why in Regulation G, I'm experimenting with...

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 84 HP / 132 Def / 84 SpA / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Blizzard
- Aurora Veil
- Protect

This is your screen setter. I haven't had much experience with this mon but Snow is, apparently, pretty gosh darn good. Aurora Veil is also good. Fairy is also good and Blizzard not missing thanks to Snow Warning is also quite good. This thing is the complete, well rounded package for a Pokemon and it's absolutely clean. It's stats leave a little to be desired but keep in mind it's defense is naturally higher off the bat because it sets Snow thanks to Snow Warning. Weather wars feel like they're going to be in full swing and having something like Ninetales at the ready feels like a smart play, especially when the genies set the weather a lot of the time. I feel like the Tera is incorrect, but I have little experience with this mon. I'm almost feeling Tera Flying might be smart because of Groudon and Landorus-T. EDIT: I changed the Tera to ghost. I didn't think about Iron Hand's popularity and it's very nice against Fake Out.

Kyurem-White @ Utility Umbrella/Assault Vest/Life Orb
Ability: Turboblaze
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 164 HP / 148 Def / 116 SpA / 4 SpD / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Fusion Flare
- Protect

And this is my restricted of choice, taking the place of what would be Articuno. Articuno's genius was the fact that it had multiple defensive layers, while Kyurem-White says no thanks and trades the inherent bulk and chance to evade for The Big Numbers. Is it worth it? 170 Base SPATK puts Kyurem-White 225 SPATK with this spread, while Articuno sits at 231 (154 base + +50% from specs) SPATK meaning it can run any number of defensive items to make up for the lack of Snow Cloak or offensive items and just really start blasting. Fusion Flare lets it actually deal with Steel types, Freeze dry is nice to have outside of weather (Rayquaza seems insane) and I'm sure we can find something on Kyurem instead of protect if you wanted to run Assault Vest, this thing is a beast. Tera Ice for bigger number + drop dragon liability because Flutter Mane will be played.

Slowking @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 92 HP / 184 Def / 180 SpA / 52 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Yawn (or any utility move you fancy, or psychic/expanding force/ect)
- Chilly Reception
- Protect

...huh? Hear me out. Regenerator + Chilly Reception lets Slowking pivot and disrupt weather in a way literally no other Pokemon can. This thing is bulky, 182 total HP, 135/137 total DEF/SPDEF with this spread lets it take some solid hits before the pivot. Chilly Reception -> Kyurem lets you (theoretically) safely swap it in under Groudon and Kyogre while disrupting their weathers. Covert Cloak to make it impossible to Fake Out. Yawn is good, Scald is your damage move of choice, you know the drill. I simply think it's uniquely positioned for this upcoming format.

Raging Bolt @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 188 HP / 140 Def / 100 SpA / 68 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderclap
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Snarl

I know what this is. You know what it does. It's a great partner for Hisuian Goodra, as it appreciates a healer. I feel like this doesn't need explaining but on the flip side, it feels a little off. Flying types are generally covered by the two ice types and water types are covered by Freeze Dry if I need it. Snarl is great, and overall this mon is just a solid generic attacker with a fantastic signature and good movepool.

Incineroar @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 140 Def / 76 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Parting Shot
- Knock Off

To wind things down, Incineroar is more of a generic 'eh it's got intimidate and fake out' pick. If intimidate feels unneeded, Rillaboom might be better to compete for field. I don't know, this is ol' reliable if you don't know what you need but you want something good. I don't need to explain this guy but I also feel like if I'm feeling like it's 'just included because incineroar' it's a potentially weak slot on the team.

With this team, I'm worried about low damage, as a lot of these Mons are utility first, damage second but overall I think this, to a degree, allows Kyurem to work.

Last edited:
So, I made a previous Rate My Team thread and with a few hundred more games under my belt in Reg F I thought I'd give another crack at another slow team coming into Regulation G. I like slower, grinder teams and with some inspiration from the recent success of snow, I thought I'd make something with that.

Goodra-Hisui @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 228 HP / 236 Def / 44 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Heavy Slam
- Shelter
- Life Dew

My favorite mon of the last format makes a return in this one. This thing has the bulk to take on a Restricted format, I'm confident in it. This thing has two jobs and it does it quite well, it either is a body press monster with respectable damage after one Shelter or it's a very bulky Life Dew spammer who supports whatever is to the right of it very well. Leftovers is a great filler item but if you plan on including terrain, I've used Psychic Seed on it quite well to give it an Assault Vest bulk and to give it a better time against Flutter. Everyone in the previous thread is correct... Shell Armor is incredible. There are so many games that got locked down because it was impossible to crit fish this thing. Tera Fairy is just because it's a fantastic type. This thing hates Lando... which is why in Regulation G, I'm experimenting with...

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 84 HP / 132 Def / 84 SpA / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Blizzard
- Aurora Veil
- Protect

This is your screen setter. I haven't had much experience with this mon but Snow is, apparently, pretty gosh darn good. Aurora Veil is also good. Fairy is also good and Blizzard not missing thanks to Snow Warning is also quite good. This thing is the complete, well rounded package for a Pokemon and it's absolutely clean. It's stats leave a little to be desired but keep in mind it's defense is naturally higher off the bat because it sets Snow thanks to Snow Warning. Weather wars feel like they're going to be in full swing and having something like Ninetales at the ready feels like a smart play, especially when the genies set the weather a lot of the time. I feel like the Tera is incorrect, but I have little experience with this mon. I'm almost feeling Tera Flying might be smart because of Groudon and Landorus-T. EDIT: I changed the Tera to ghost. I didn't think about Iron Hand's popularity and it's very nice against Fake Out.

Kyurem-White @ Utility Umbrella/Assault Vest/Life Orb
EVs: 164 HP / 148 Def / 116 SpA / 4 SpD / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Fusion Flare
- Protect

And this is my restricted of choice, taking the place of what would be Articuno. Articuno's genius was the fact that it had multiple defensive layers, while Kyurem-White says no thanks and trades the inherent bulk and chance to evade for The Big Numbers. Is it worth it? 170 Base SPATK puts Kyurem-White 225 SPATK with this spread, while Articuno sits at 231 (154 base + +50% from specs) SPATK meaning it can run any number of defensive items to make up for the lack of Snow Cloak or offensive items and just really start blasting. Fusion Flare lets it actually deal with Steel types, Freeze dry is nice to have outside of weather (Rayquaza seems insane) and I'm sure we can find something on Kyurem instead of protect if you wanted to run Assault Vest, this thing is a beast. Tera Ice for bigger number + drop dragon liability because Flutter Mane will be played.

Slowking @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 92 HP / 184 Def / 180 SpA / 52 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Yawn (or any utility move you fancy, or psychic/expanding force/ect)
- Chilly Reception
- Protect

...huh? Hear me out. Regenerator + Chilly Reception lets Slowking pivot and disrupt weather in a way literally no other Pokemon can. This thing is bulky, 182 total HP, 135/137 total DEF/SPDEF with this spread lets it take some solid hits before the pivot. Chilly Reception -> Kyurem lets you (theoretically) safely swap it in under Groudon and Kyogre while disrupting their weathers. Covert Cloak to make it impossible to Fake Out. Yawn is good, Scald is your damage move of choice, you know the drill. I simply think it's uniquely positioned for this upcoming format.

Raging Bolt @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 188 HP / 140 Def / 100 SpA / 68 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderclap
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Snarl

I know what this is. You know what it does. It's a great partner for Hisuian Goodra, as it appreciates a healer. I feel like this doesn't need explaining but on the flip side, it feels a little off. Flying types are generally covered by the two ice types and water types are covered by Freeze Dry if I need it. Snarl is great, and overall this mon is just a solid generic attacker with a fantastic signature and good movepool.

Incineroar @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 140 Def / 76 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Flare Blitz
- Parting Shot
- Knock Off

To wind things down, Incineroar is more of a generic 'eh it's got intimidate and fake out' pick. If intimidate feels unneeded, Rillaboom might be better to compete for field. I don't know, this is ol' reliable if you don't know what you need but you want something good. I don't need to explain this guy but I also feel like if I'm feeling like it's 'just included because incineroar' it's a potentially weak slot on the team.

With this team, I'm worried about low damage, as a lot of these Mons are utility first, damage second but overall I think this, to a degree, allows Kyurem to work.
I would personally just say kyurem-w is just bad, raging bolt would really want koraidon support and flutter mane would help this team as well, so maybe consider adding them in too.
Kyurem is kinda outclassed by miraidon, so yea I still suggest using the bikes.
Edit: I dunno how this team will play out, since korai and ogre is gonna be everywhere to mess up you weather, plus the mons I had mentioned above totally cooks this team.

What exactly is your goal with snow? It's not the "slap it on a team and call it a day" kind of good that really centralizing strategies are, and I don't think you're really taking advantage of what makes it work. Its main draws are bulk and speed control (no viable Slush Rush users this gen, but hail worked in gen 8 'cuz Arctozolt existed). Articuno really is what gave it such a notable win. "Strong mon with Blizzard" alone probably won't be enough in a format with stuff like Koraidon, which generally shreds this whole team, especially since you have no speed control at all.

I don't think this team is cohesive enough either defensively or offensively to really stand up to this format. If you're really dead set on Kyurem, I'd have to suggest giving it Tailwind support and/or Choice Scarf, otherwise it's not gonna get to do much. A spread like this is enough to outspeed and KO unboosted Koraidon/Miraidon (but also keep in mind that Scarf and AV are good items on these mons.)

Kyurem-White @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 196 HP / 124 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Fusion Flare
- Draco Meteor

Otherwise, I think that if Slowking is here, it probably needs to be setting Trick Room, and also that despite the Ground weakness Glowking might be a better choice with mons like Ogerpon and Miraidon running rampant. I'd also probably replace Raging Bolt with something like Flutter Mane or Rillaboom. Rilla covers Ground weakness, overwrites Mirai's terrain (don't forget Yawn won't work in Electric terrain) and gives you priority plus a little healing for your bulky mons.

Also don't really see a reason to ever run Shelter over Acid Armor?

Last edited:
What exactly is your goal with snow? It's not the "slap it on a team and call it a day" kind of good that really centralizing strategies are, and I don't think you're really taking advantage of what makes it work. Its main draws are bulk and speed control (no viable Slush Rush users this gen, but hail worked in gen 8 'cuz Arctozolt existed). Articuno really is what gave it such a notable win. "Strong mon with Blizzard" alone probably won't be enough in a format with stuff like Koraidon, which generally shreds this whole team, especially since you have no speed control at all.

I don't think this team is cohesive enough either defensively or offensively to really stand up to this format. If you're really dead set on Kyurem, I'd have to suggest giving it Tailwind support and/or Choice Scarf, otherwise it's not gonna get to do much. A spread like this is enough to outspeed and KO unboosted Koraidon/Miraidon (but also keep in mind that Scarf and AV are good items on these mons.)

Kyurem-White @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 196 HP / 124 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Fusion Flare
- Draco Meteor

Otherwise, I think that if Slowking is here, it probably needs to be setting Trick Room, and also that despite the Ground weakness Glowking might be a better choice with mons like Ogerpon and Miraidon running rampant. I'd also probably replace Raging Bolt with something like Flutter Mane or Rillaboom. Rilla covers Ground weakness, overwrites Mirai's terrain (don't forget Yawn won't work in Electric terrain) and gives you priority plus a little healing for your bulky mons.

Also don't really see a reason to ever run Shelter over Acid Armor?
Acid Armor is only learned by Sliggoo, after evo it's shelter or nothing. I forgto to teach it to mine pre evo as well, it's a bit of a non-issue. Um, this is doubles so that's all I can contribute:^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)