Rate My Team Please

Hello everyone. I normally play stall so this time around I made an offensive team. I'm still not too familiar with the Gen V metagame but I've given it a shot, and this team has had very varied results. I'm also not using any legendaries since I will be using the team in wifi-battles and legendaries with the right natures and good IVs are hard to come by. So here it goes:

Swampert @ Leftovers
Torrent
Impish
112 Hp / 112 Atk / 124 def / 160 Sp Def
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Avalanche
- Earthquake

Swampert is usually quite reliable to start off with, having only one weakness. Roar helps to spread around damage and prevents opposing pokes from setting up. Avalanche hits the grass and flying types for which Earthquake won't do much good. Swampert helps to soak up damage from mainly fire types, and usually survives attacks from dragons such as Lati@s. I tried Curse over Roar but that didn't work out too well I think.

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Multiscale/Inner Focus
Adamant
252 Hp / 252 Spe / 4 Def
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage

Dragonite has quite a number opportunities for a DD or maybe even two. After that is done, its attacks often OHKO opponents. I'm not sure if I should put a Lum Berry on it instead of Life Orb since the latter renders Multiscale useless, and status effects cut short or even prevent Dragonite from sweeping. The power loss might make me lose some OHKOs though, so it is a tough decision. My Dragonite really hates Skarmory since Fire Punch can barely kill it after a few boosts, and it gets whirlwinded out by then. However, ice shard is definitely my greatest annoyance.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Technician
Adamant
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Sp Def
- Swords Dance
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

Like Dragonite, Scizor can come in easily, and set up a Swords Dance, which allows it to OHKO a lot of pokemon with its boosted Bullet Punch. If I know the opposing team has a Magnezone or Heatran, I can lure it out and use Superpower as it switches in.

On a side note, there was once on Pokemon Online when I selected bullet punch, which would have KOed the opposing Darmanitan, but instead, Flare Blitz went first, and I don't believe it was Quick Claw since the relevant message did not appear. Perhaps it was a glitch... but I'm wondering if there's any other possible explanation.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Blaze
Hasty
252 Sp Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
- Nasty Plot
- Grass Knot
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast

Again, another poke which can force a switch and set up, then start sweeping. I love how so many people switch in a bulky water only to face a Grass Knot. After a Nasty Plot, Fire Blast OHKOs most of even those which resist it. The problem with this set is that Scarfed or faster foes can easily come in and kill Infernape due to its frailty. I especially detest speed ties with the likes of Terrakion.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Natural Cure
Timid
252 Sp Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Sp Def
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Rapid Spin

Standard Starmie with Rapid Spin over Recover, but switching them around might be a possibility since the only poke on my team which really needs rapid spin support is Dragonite, and I usually send it out just as my opponent is about to set up. My only qualm is that Starmie hardly ever survives more than 2 hits, hence recover could be an option here. Starmie generally finds it hard to stay In for long but the coverage it brings, plus its good speed and damage output can be valuable at times.

Metagross @ Life Orb
Clear Body
Jolly
252 Atk / 204 Spe / 52 Hp
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Here is your classic Agiligross. Like the Scizor, Infernape, and Dragonite, it can sweep an entire team if it comes across the right opponents, but that is not the case always. I'm just wondering if Metagross' coverage is redundant. In addition, a Will-O-Wisp makes Metagross quite useless, and most of my opponents force me to switch by doing so.

And that's it. As I mentioned before, this team does fantastic at times, and not so great during others. It could be down to my skill as a battler though, with some misprediction and the inability to anticipate hidden powers, which has always been my bane as a battler. Speaking of hidden powers, I try not to use them as breeding becomes more of a pain.
Main problems I have encountered with this team are sun teams, as chlorophyll can give speed boosts, and baton passing teams once they have taken out swampert. I can normally deal with these threats with my stall team fairly efficiently but I really wanted to try out a different battling style. You might have noticed that there are no pokemon from Gen V since I'm still not too familiar with them. I'm still open to using them though. I would appreciate any suggestions but please try to consider what I stated in the first paragraph. Thanks in advance.

p.s. I'll add pictures when I have time

Wow man I don't even know where to start??? First of all if you are going to have a team full of sweepers have you ever tryed hyper offense? I would probably recommend. This will fix some of your sun weakness and give you the ability to add entry hazards.

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

tran (M) @ Air Baloon/leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Protect
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock

There are two sets for heatran. One is specially defensive and the other is offensive. You should pick the one that fits you best in your opinion. I will rate more when I am not as tired lol.

Thanks. I'll use it over Metagross and see how it goes.
Since you mentioned hyper offense, I searched and found a couple of threads on it. There was a post which mentioned having all sweepers either physical or special, with similar checks, wearing them down so that the rest of the team can sweep. Would that really work better than having sweepers of both types?

I've really only tired hyper offense once and you are recommended to have a lead usualy Deoxys-S (now uber)so you should probably use something like Espeon I don't know what to use as a lead since Deoxys-S went to uber. Hyper offense just might work because it is so incredibly rare and people never prepare for it. Abouut the sweeper thing I recommend having all of them the same on the attacking side but have one wallbreaker. My personal favorite wallbreaker of all time is Mix-Ape.

Well, since I really love my Dragonite and Scizor, I'll tweak the team to be more of a physical HO over the weekend. I'm still a bit worried about my opponent setting up on me too, with screens of their own, other defensive boosts, or subs with shell smash and the sort, especially since having (p)hazers seems to be contrary to the idea of hyper offense. I could run brick break on Scizor, but superpower allows me to OHKO heatran and Magnezone. Well, I guess I can't win all can I? I'll hope it goes like you said and catch the opponent off guard.

On another note, how common are scarfed Heatrans? Infernape or lucario would probably scare it away otherwise, wouldn't it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)