Rainbow Dream Team (Mixed Tier)

I'm not a fan of OU. At least, not right now. Too offense-orientated, and too dominated by Scizor and Heatran and the dragons. I don't like either of them - they're both way too cheap. What I wanted when I started creating this team, was to have a strategy that was unusual, unpredictable and different. Read 'gimmicky' if you want. I don't mind.

The team is built mainly around my favourite Pokemon, Snorlax. Though the main aim is to set up Curselax as a late-game sweeper, each team member plays a specific, valuable role and can pull its weight adequately. 4 out of the 6 team members can set up and sweep on their own.

Team at a glance:

OK, then, let's get to it.

Sparkle (Clefable)
Careful Nature (Magic Guard)
Item: Toxic Orb
Stealth Rock
Trick
Wish
Facade
200 HP, 252 Sp, 58 Df.
Analysis: Clefable is, by far, the best bulky lead in existance. Magic Guard, one of the best abilities in the game, protects her from Poison, meaning it cannot be statused. It can survive anything neutral (Fighting moves slaughter it, though). Protect was ditched because most opposing leads also use SR first turn. If I do the same, it lays Rocks down and allows Toxic Orb to activate. Trick is useful because it deprives opponents of their item, which is a lot more useful than simply using Toxic. Plus, against things like Vaporeon (which I've seen a lot) it means I get Leftovers. Wish is obvious: I can heal a teammate or myself. Facade is there to avoid Taunt. After I'm poisoned, it does a decent amount of damage. Plus, against suicide leads like Aerodactyl, I can use it on the first turn and break its Sash.

Neptune (Poliwrath)
Impish Nature (Water Absorb)
Item: Leftovers
Focus Punch
Waterfall
Substitute
Bulk Up
252 Hp/Df, 6 SD
Analysis: An excellent physical tank, and a formidable sweeper after a few Bulk Ups. He can't do a thing against special threats, but that's not his job. He is a brilliant Gyarados and Scizor counter. Scizor can't break a Sub with Iron Head or Bullet Punch. After two Bulk Ups, Bullet Punch can't even manage a 5HKO. It's actually very easy to achieve 4 or even 5 boosts. If Zapdos comes in while I have a Sub up, I can do ~50% with Focus Punch as it breaks my Sub. With SR damage, this comes pretty close to a KO. If it Roosts as I Focus Punch, it's a definite KO.

Pebble (Shuckle)
Sassy Nature (Gluttony)
Item: Leftovers
Substitute
Power Trick
Earthquake
Rock Slide
252 Hp/SD, 6 D
Analysis: Here we are, the 'gimmick'. OK, don't abuse, I love Shuckle. I've wanted to use it since GS, but never did. Now, Power Trick has opened up a whole new fun option. I'm unsure of the leading move. Since Power Trick reduces Shuckle's defence to nothing, any physical move can kill it. Substitute therefore made sense. It's a guard against all physical moves, and since Shuckle's SD stays intact, it can still function as a decent Special wall. I try not to use this until the prominent Physical threats are dead, for obvious reasons. This actually works very well, and there is nothing like a Shuckle sweep.

Jewel (Typhlosion)
Timid Nature (Blaze)
Item: Choice Scarf
Overheat
Focus Blast
Will-O-Wisp
Swift
252 SA/Sp, 6 H
Analysis: I know ScarfTran is so much better than Phlosion. But I prefer it. This thing, while lacking Tran's coverage, is a beast. Focus Blast and Overheat are all I really need, Swift is a filler. I hate breeding for good HPs, so I didn't go with HP Grass. Usually, if the opponent switches out to a Swampert or something, I can still do about 40-50%. Anything neutral dies to Overheat, it's a much better option than Eruption as I don't have a Spinner and am switching a lot anyway. Entry hazards whittle him down, but I can usually switch him in two or three times, which is enough. SR support helps A LOT, as assisted damage is this thing's friend. If something has already taken a hit, been switched out, and is switched back in and takes some SR damage, it's a sure kill.

Destiny (Alakazam)
Timid Nature (Synchronize)
Item: Lum Berry
Psychic
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball
Calm Mind
252 SA/Sp, 6 H
Analysis: Calm Mind Zam works wonders, especially against Bulky Waters. CM on the switch, then again as Vaporeon tries to Toxic me, only to get it bounced back. A great status absorber. Then I attack and KO. This thing is fast enough to KO anything, and I've rarely come across Pursuit, except on Tyranitar, which I can KO anyway with Focus Blast. Even if I don't kill it or I miss, I'm going to die anyway so it doesn't matter. The three moves there have brilliant coverage. Most people suggest Gengar rather than Alakazam, but Zam is faster and can be surprisingly bulky after just 2 CMs.

Puzzle (Snorlax)
Sassy Nature (Thick Fat)
Item: Chesto Berry
Curse
Rest
Body Slam
Fire Punch
252 Df/SD, 6 H
Analysis: I've always found Snorlax a bit risky, but that makes it fun. After 2 or 3 Curses, nothing can stop it. Scizor manages about 30% after 3 Curses, while Gyaradis only manages about 40%. Lucario scrapes about 60%. Heatran only manages 50% at best thanks to Thick Fat, unless it Explodes, which can kill me. Body Slam has an awesome Paralysis chance.

So, that's my team. Hope you found it enjoyable. Please be honest when rating. In general this has worked very well for me, so I have some confidence. My main weaknesses:
Toxic Spikes. I have no spinner, and only Clefable is able to switch in safely.
Lucario: SD Luke with Extremespeed is broken, but effective. It rips through my team. I don't really have anything safe against it.
Breloom: hate that thing. I can't switch to Phlosion to fry it with Overheat because it'll Spore me. Clefable can work, but it'll just Sub and Focus Punch me. Once it's behind a Sub it takes a considerable amount of sacrifice to kill.
Tyranitar: Phlosion and Zam can kill it with Focus Blast, but if I miss, I'm screwed.
Salamence and Dragonite: the dragons! Hard to kill, but I can usually 2HKO with neutral attacks. But something of mine will probably die too.

Thanks for your time.

Clefable is outclassed by blissey. Higher stats in hp and speciel defense, and he can take physical hits oky thanks to huge HP outbalancing it's pathetic defense.
Machamp could replace poliwrath to take down tyranitar and other rock types who wall snorlax.
Shuckle could be turned into a standard wall or even a skarmory. Even if you can get something to switch out of shuckle, which will be very tough, the switchin will break your sub as you power trick and then KO your pathetic defense.
Flamethrower can be used on typhlosion as a final cleening move when the opponets fire resits are gone.
Alakazam won't be doing to good when scizor is the #1 used poke. While he can counter fighting types that stop snorlax, he is't bulky enough to last long enough stop them. Cressilia could work, while setting up screens or a healing wish for snorlax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)