SM OU Rain team - Need help against Zard-y (1300)

Hey, I'm new to Smogon tiers, and so far i'm liking it a lot.This is my first winning team, and it's not original at all. I took the ideia from various threads around the web. But still I got ass kicked by a lot of other archetype teams. So can u guys give me some advice?
My main nemesis so far is trick room. Along with sunny teams. I just can't get around them. Zard-y kick my ass everytime, and I've switched my stall 4 times just to try to counter him.Weavile it's a pain in the ass as well, I never could outspeed him, and 5 of my mons die fast facing him.

download.jpeg

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Defog
- Tailwind​
Main rain setter, and tailwind helps against other tailwind/scarf users. Hurricane is very handy some times, same as scald. He dies fast tho, but don't cripple the team a lot.

OAArt_Mega_Swampert.png

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Superpower​
The main physical sweeper. EQ and waterfall for high STAB, ice punch for grass (I've saw only amoongus survive ice punch so far, and I retreat when ferrothorn is on the field) Superpower it's a nice move, but idk what else to put here. I used to have stealth rocks, but seemed obsolete in a sweeper.

230.png

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Rain Dance
- Ice Beam​
Main special sweeper. Hydro and meteor for STAB ( thinking about switch meteor for pulse tho) rain dance for backup rain, and ice beam for coverage ( I used to have flash Cannon here, but wasn't very useful ).

785.png

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt​
Also a special sweeper, I use him because thunder+ dazzling gleam and electric field+ Hawlucha. Volt switch helps get out after damage and taunt was forced in by trick room teams.

706.png

Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic
- Dragon Tail​
This is by far the most "idk what to do here" Mon in the party. I used to have ferrothorn here, after char-y burned him to ashes a few times, I tried toxapex, then Chansey, and now goodra. I honestly don't know what to here. So far goodra has been doing a nice work. ( Mostly because hydration.)Drangon tail helps on toxic setting, Draco for STAB and sludge wave for coverage.

250px-701Hawlucha.png

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab
- U-turn​
A physical late game sweeper. Helps in a lot of stuff, poison Jab goes well against fairies and u turn helps gain momentum. He's very fast after tapu Koko sets the field, but HJK accuracy can let down in critical situations.

As you guys can see, I'm lacking entry hazards. But I just couldn't find anywhere to put them.
Sorry if I misspelled something, English is not my mother language. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I'd replace Hawlucha's U-turn with Swords Dance. U-turn has horrible synergy with Unburden, as once you switch out, you lose your speed boost. You want to stay in and try to sweep, and the defense boost from Electric Seed makes it easier to set up. I'd also replace Hurricane and Tailwind on Pelipper with Roost and U-turn, as the appeal of Pelipper is a rain setter with recovery and a pivot move.

I'd replace Hawlucha's U-turn with Swords Dance. U-turn has horrible synergy with Unburden, as once you switch out, you lose your speed boost. You want to stay in and try to sweep, and the defense boost from Electric Seed makes it easier to set up. I'd also replace Hurricane and Tailwind on Pelipper with Roost and U-turn, as the appeal of Pelipper is a rain setter with recovery and a pivot move.
Thanks. I used to run roost on him, but he died fast anyway. Gonna try again using U-turn this time. Good advice on Hawlucha, gonna fix that ASAP. Thanks again.

Last edited:

AAamen

☆Ojama: gg team italy
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The teams doesn't look extremely bad but surely there are changes that we can do, first of all, Hawlucha's set.
I think the SDRoost Set surely do a better job rather the one you choose
Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 36 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Roost

Pelipper should have a Physical defensive spread rather than Special since you already have Goodra and because with psd spread Pelipper can checks such things as other Swampert, and i also think that you should use roost over Tailwind(Hurricane is fine, because other Hawluchas are really annoying). And i think U-Turn>VSwitch is better on Koko is better because thanks to that you can have momentum against grounds.

About Goodra, even though it's such a gimmick and underused mon is not that bad it can benefit of the rain, thanks to its high special defense it can check several special attackers like Ibeamless Ninja, but i think you should use a different moveset for several reasons
Goodra @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb

Earthquake for Heatran because Goodra counters it and thanks to it you are not completely defenseless against Magearna, Ice Beam so you can shotkill Lando but you can still hit Zygarde.
Major Threats:For an USUM Team, your team doesn't seem extremely weak to something, but yeah such things as Trick Rooms are really annoying, but even Stall teams can be really troublesome against this team

An idea could be Manaphy over Kingdra since you have already Swampert and Lucha for lategame Sweeps
Manaphy @ Waterium Z
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Psychic
- Rest

Manaphy is more bulky than Kingdra and thanks to Rest+Hydration on Rain, it can be a very troublesome threat for defensive teams, and yeah it has Waterium Z, so i think you should put Leftovers on Koko.
Conclusion:Your team should be good for now, i believe that your team really has potential and thanks to these fixes it should be worth using, i really appreciate the idea of Goodra, it's original and i believe that you can do something with it.
Hope i was helpful:blobthumbsup:

The teams doesn't look extremely bad but surely there are changes that we can do, first of all, Hawlucha's set.
I think the SDRoost Set surely do a better job rather the one you choose
Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 36 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Roost

Pelipper should have a Physical defensive spread rather than Special since you already have Goodra and because with psd spread Pelipper can checks such things as other Swampert, and i also think that you should use roost over Tailwind(Hurricane is fine, because other Hawluchas are really annoying). And i think U-Turn>VSwitch is better on Koko is better because thanks to that you can have momentum against grounds.

About Goodra, even though it's such a gimmick and underused mon is not that bad it can benefit of the rain, thanks to its high special defense it can check several special attackers like Ibeamless Ninja, but i think you should use a different moveset for several reasons
Goodra @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb

Earthquake for Heatran because Goodra counters it and thanks to it you are not completely defenseless against Magearna, Ice Beam so you can shotkill Lando but you can still hit Zygarde.
Major Threats:For an USUM Team, your team doesn't seem extremely weak to something, but yeah such things as Trick Rooms are really annoying, but even Stall teams can be really troublesome against this team

An idea could be Manaphy over Kingdra since you have already Swampert and Lucha for lategame Sweeps
Manaphy @ Waterium Z
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Psychic
- Rest

Manaphy is more bulky than Kingdra and thanks to Rest+Hydration on Rain, it can be a very troublesome threat for defensive teams, and yeah it has Waterium Z, so i think you should put Leftovers on Koko.
Conclusion:Your team should be good for now, i believe that your team really has potential and thanks to these fixes it should be worth using, i really appreciate the idea of Goodra, it's original and i believe that you can do something with it.
Hope i was helpful:blobthumbsup:
Thanks for taking the time to rate the team. Now i got some ideia of how to run goodra. Loved the manaphy idea, gonna try that as well. Just switch surf for hydro to use in doubles i guess. Hawlucha is good now since drPumpkinz advice. Thanks again, i will add the results here after play around with the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)