Rain Team - Gen 6

This is actually my first RMT here. I know I signed up in '06 but I was 16 then and was not as interested (or just completely ignorant) back then in competitive battling. I started getting into it during BW1 and now with Gen 6 making breeding in game so ridiculously easy I'm practically loving it. Even so I am kind of intimidated to make one and put it in front of Smogon.

I went for Rain because with the nerf it makes it seem more of a challenge while still being a viable team IMO. Without further ado:

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

The common Rain Team Lead. I chose to go with the Special Attack set as I felt this one most suited me. The Defensive Set seemed to rely on prediction and I guess I don't have enough confidence in myself to pull that one of correctly. I chose Focus Blast in the 4th Slot because of that over Encore. I also don't like the 60% accuracy rate of Hypnosis and with my not using Magnezone or Ferrothorn I don't feel like Perish Song would be acceptable in the last slot though it does look possible with Gastrodon.

Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder
- Rest
- Focus Blast

Simply built to abuse the rain. Dragon Pulse STAB. Thunder with perfect accuracy in rain and Rest/Hydration Combo. Also allows to wake up off Spore/Sleep Powder and deal with Burns, Paralysis or other nonsense. Of course this all relies on rain. Focus Blast was for additional coverage rather than Fire Blast because of Rain. I also chose Focus Blast over Sleep Talk because of Hydration.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 187-222 (43.8 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Reason enough for me alongside being a Rotom-W counter. Earthquake over Earth Power so I can get Tyranitar for more damage should it come down to a 1v1 Situation. I might replace Ice Beam for Rain Dance though the Ice Beam helps for fighting Dragons. Scald allows it to spread burns and bolster its defensive capabilities and Recover can allow it to outlast those are burned or low on PP thanks to Pressure stalling of Moltres. It'll absorb Water/Rock attacks aimed at Moltres + Thunder Wave and Water attacks aimed at my team.

Moltres @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Substitute
- Roost

Truth be told I never really even thought about using a Moltres really. Then I saw this post by alexwolf in the Lucario thread and I started thinking about it and realized that it truly has potential especially considering Excadrill is now no longer Ubers, making Rapid Spinning easier. It's immune to Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Sticky Web, 100% Accuracy Hurricane in Rain, can absorb burns and scare out Ferrothorn, Volcarona, Scizor. And then there is this:

252+ Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Moltres: 120-142 (31.2 - 36.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Lets not forget hitting those annoying Gourgeists or Trevenants. Can also absorb any rare grass threats aimed at Gastrodon.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Reversal
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Revenge Killer and Trapper. Basically there for M-Lucario who will most likely become the next thing after M-Khan is (most likely) banned. If Moltres isn't up to the task, Dugtrio can revenge kill with Reversal. Also for getting rid of/finishing Tyranitar or Heatran and possibly Volcarona. Can also deal with the likes of Blissey really well. Really basic 'mon. I believe it'll be a help to reduce his HP and Defense IVs to 0.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide

192 Speed allows me to outspeed Jolly 80 Base Speeds and outspeed any Rotom-W or H's that aren't Timid and Scarf wearing. Much needed Rapid Spin Support for Moltres and keeping Focus Sash on Dugtrio as well as a be a needed Physical Attacker the team desperately needs so that it isn't walled by another Special Wall. I'm not sure if I'm feeling keeping the Swords Dance on him as I rather have Shadow Claw for any potential Ghost switch ins. I noticed some Rotom-Ws use Toxic. His Steel nature allows it to absorb Toxic particularly aimed at my defensive teammates (Moltres/Gastrodon).

Other Options:
I was definitely looking into the options of Ferrothorn and Magnezone. Ferrothorn simply put loves Rain Teams and Magnezone has the ability to kill opposing Ferrothorns by trapping them as well as getting enemy Skarmorys and Klefkis.

I was thinking Mega Blastoise as it has the ability to destroy potential spin blockers with STAB Dark Pulse and use Rapid Spin itself.

My Main concern is Special Walling Pokemon. I have potential ways to get around them but I'm not completely confident.

I was also wondering if I should switch out a move on Gastrodon for Rain Dance.

I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)