Question about Baton passing

I was just thinking of a idea to maybe use in a team and i thought wouldn't it be cool if I could baton pass a magnet rise to another poke, like bp a magnet rise to heatran, or to drapion so it has no weakness. Anyways if somebody could just tell me if it works or not that would be cool. if it does work that opens up some possibilties.

I highly doubt that. otherwise Vaporeon could baton pass her water absorb to a fire type to kill off its weakness.

Yeah, that make senses.

But anyway, even if it's passable, onli Smeargle learns both moves, so it's useless as Smeargle has better things to do.

ok
@cyl3x, that was a stupid post really really stupid, magnet rise is a move, while water absorb is a ability, and as everyone here with more than half a brain knows you cannot pass a ability.

@gabriel, sure he has better things to do but if the teams strategy gets greatly helped by this lets say making a really good drapion sweeper then its a good way to use it.

ok
@cyl3x, that was a stupid post really really stupid, magnet rise is a move, while water absorb is a ability, and as everyone here with more than half a brain knows you cannot pass a ability.

@gabriel, sure he has better things to do but if the teams strategy gets greatly helped by this lets say making a really good drapion sweeper then its a good way to use it.
Well isn't levitate an ability? Magnet rise changes its ability to Levitate.

EDIT: Oh sorry there, I didn't realize it just meant 5 turns immunity. I was confused by serebii's description.

Drapion's attack is a bit too low to sweep, and the whole point of magnet rise is to out-predict your opponent, i.e. magnet rise right when they send out duggy or garchomp, forcing them to switch out. Baton passing it defeats the purpose, because your opponent won't earthquake or anything anyway.

well both do the same thing, but if it does make your trait levitate then the answer to my question is most definitly no, and if it just gives u psuedo levitate then there is a chance
There's a huge difference. If it changes your trait, it means it cancels your previous trait, if it doesn't you'll keep your trait's effect + ground immunit.

In example:

Supposing a Magnezone Magnet Rises while facing an opponent Metagross. If Magnet Rise doesn't cancel Magnezone's trait (Magnet Pull), it'll be able to prevent Metagross from switching and kill it, but if it does, Metagross can just switch in.

So, does it change or not? Two reliable sources are telling us different things.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Magnet Rise can also be used against slower pokemon as well, obviously. ;[ And Drapion has Sniper, so it's definitely not weak if you can abuse Scope Lens and high-crit attacks.

Anyway, I don't see why you couldn't BP Magnet Rise. Ingrain and other weird attacks pass too. That said, Smeargle has better things to pass and Magnet Rise just doesn't last long enough to get much use out of BPing it.

And Magnet Rise doesn't change your trait, it just makes you flat-out immune to Ground skills for five turns.

There's a huge difference. If it changes your trait, it means it cancels your previous trait, if it doesn't you'll keep your trait's effect + ground immunit.

In example:

Supposing a Magnezone Magnet Rises while facing an opponent Metagross. If Magnet Rise doesn't cancel Magnezone's trait (Magnet Pull), it'll be able to prevent Metagross from switching and kill it, but if it does, Metagross can just switch in.

So, does it change or not? Two reliable sources are telling us different things.
I can confirm; I was facing a Magnezone and using my Steelix. I was about to use Earthquake when it suddenly used Magnet Rise, making my Steelix absolutley useless against Magnezone. I tried to switch out to my Electivire, but it would not let me due to Magnezone's Magnet Pull.

Serebii has lose translations of the Japanese versions. It is actually false that it changes the ability. The original ability is still kept, but you are granted an extra immunity to Ground for only five turns. It isn't Baton Passable either

When in doubt, check the research thread always

Magnet Rise: The user is simply made immune to Ground-type moves for 5 turns, barring the use of Gravity. It does not replace the user's current trait.

I can confirm; I was facing a Magnezone and using my Steelix. I was about to use Earthquake when it suddenly used Magnet Rise, making my Steelix absolutley useless against Magnezone. I tried to switch out to my Electivire, but it would not let me due to Magnezone's Magnet Pull.
That's good. Maybe, Magnet Rise is a good option for Magnezones and a few other pokemon.

However, it isn't worth the slot. You sacrifice a moveslot for a Ground immunity that only lasts a mere 5 turns, which they will switch out to a counter or they will EQ at the end of the immunity. So I wouldn't put Magnet Rise on him, though if you want to, go ahead

A 203 Spd Magnezone outspeed the fastest non-choice scarfer Metagross (that runs 202 Spd for Agility, There's no need of more Spd on Metagross unless it's a Scarfer set), so you can switch on the Meteor Mash, Electrolevitate and get rid of Metagross as Meteor Smash/Ice/Thunder Punch/Pursuit/Explosion don't even hurt.

well looks like i got my answer i knew it wasnt a effiecent strategy i just wanted to know if it could be done and it cant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)