[QC Ready 2/3] Granbull

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Retcon to Fairy-type gives it more offensive and defensive utility</li>
<li>Versatile movepool</li>
<li>One of the best Attack stats of a Fairy (outclassed by Azumarill)</li>
<li>Good physical bulk, thanks to Intimidate</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>SLOW</li>
<li>Outclassed as an Intimidate user</li>
<li>Bad special bulk</li>
<li>Without Intimidate factoring in, it has bad overall bulk</li>
<li>No priority</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Granbull @ Leftovers<br />
Ability: Intimidate<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk<br />
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)<br />
- Play Rough<br />
- EQ / Fire Fang<br />
- Thunder Wave<br />
- Roar / Heal Bell</p>

<p>This is more or less the best Granbull can do without being outclassed. Maximizing physical bulk in tandem with Intimidate allows it to avoid 2HKOs from Dragons and Lucario, while hitting back hard with Play Rough or Earthquake. Thunder Wave is to spread paralysis and bring Pokemon down to a speed where Granbull is faster. Roar is to phaze out boosting Pokemon, while Heal Bell has more utility for the team.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Anything with good Special Attack can take out Granbull easily, from Alakazam to Greninja. Metagross isn't affected by Intimidate, and can fire back with STAB Bullet Punch. Mixed attackers like Salamence can switch to the appropriate coverage move to break through Granbull. It's susceptible to all forms of hazards.</p>

Last edited:
Fire Punch is sadly a move tutor attack and unavailable until Pokemon Bank comes out. Fire Fang can be used in its place I guess if you really want a fire attack (though it seems like at that point you might as well use EQ).

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Forgive my ignorance, oh Father, for I have sinned against the Fairies by creating a move illegality on a competitive set. Amen.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know this got a retyping, but does that really even merit an OU set? This is arguably even worse than Carbink.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Outside of being slow, your other cons are either irrelevant (loses Normal STAB) or not true (outclassed by other Fairies). Granbull is not outclassed by other Fairies because it's the only one that has access to Intimidate and a decent support movepool. For other cons, mention its bad special bulk and its bad overall bulk when Intimidate is not factored in. Also, lack of any kind of recovery limits its role as a tank.

And yeah it's worth a preview.

Birkal

We have the technology.
I kept that it's outclassed as an Intimidate user, but other than that, I added your changes.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I believe Miltank still learns Heal Bell through level up in Gen VI. They are compatible.

Would a Choice Band set not be viable somewhat? Simple to force switches against Dragon-types and then return a powerful Play Rough or something? Or are there not enough offensive moves in his arsenal?

I believe Miltank still learns Heal Bell through level up in Gen VI. They are compatible.

Would a Choice Band set not be viable somewhat? Simple to force switches against Dragon-types and then return a powerful Play Rough or something? Or are there not enough offensive moves in his arsenal?
nope miltank is only female it is skitty at level 39

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Granbull has decently powered offensive moves. Quite a few nasty ones actually:

- EQ
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Elemental Fangs
- Play Rough
- Crunch
- Wild Charge

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My mistake, congratulations on solving your own conundrum, though.

Another option to go with bulky Granbull would be a set that invests more into Special Defense, and runs Bulk Up?

Is Close Combat worth a mention?

Birkal

We have the technology.
Still waiting for QC on this. I'm not opposed to adding something like a CB set, but I think Granbull is highly outclassed by Azumarill in that department.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

QC APPROVED 2/3

Yeah this thing is okay I GUESS

EDIT: Oh and remember to put your Pros and cons in full sentences

Last edited:
Say, now that it had its type changed, do you think there's any room for the Rattled ability? I mean, now Ghost attacks can hit it, in addition to now resisting Bug & Dark.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Say, now that it had its type changed, do you think there's any room for the Rattled ability? I mean, now Ghost attacks can hit it, in addition to now resisting Bug & Dark.
Theoretically it has more use now, practically Intimidate is much much better and the only reason to ever use Granbull at all.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just add some teammates and mention a couple of Pokemon that don't mind Granbull's attacks (and can either threaten it back or set up on it) in checks and counters and you should be fine.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Adapted from a decade old GSC moveset:

Granbull @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Heal Bell
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Cleric support, status absorption, and actual staying power. I don't consider any other moveset viable. Those 4 spare EVs should go into speed, because there's a surprising number of lower tiered Pokemon with 45 base speed.

With lots of powerhouse dragons likely to drop down tiers, Granbull offers a solid counter to physical variants. For example:

252 Atk Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 166-196 (43.2 - 51%) Never a 2HKO due to Leftovers.
0 Atk Granbull Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 248-294 (84.3 - 100%)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)