Tournament PUPL IV - Week 5

The temptation to post something salty because of how i lost but i'm more annoyed at the reaction I got from players in the in-game battle. It's not just been in this battle though, it's been in near enough every battle in the last 2 weeks that i've watched and it's the same people saying the same dumb shit. I know I was once one of these goons who did this a couple years back, but it's not the best look and honestly it just makes people not enjoy playing games or makes people want to hide their games or not tell people that they're playing.

to make this post not solely about some goons that got under my skin, i'm gonna say a few words for the dedennes and HJAD in particular who overpaid for me not once, but twice. 1-3 last year and 2-2 this year (despite both losses being hax) doesn't really justify my pricetag. I wasn't that much of a presence in the chat except for weekends and I am sorry i didn't help as much as i could. But on another note - it was a pleasure interacting with you guys when i was in the chat. One of the nicest teams in terms of people to interact with, and special mentions to shane and pearl for their godly records in oras that they did mostly on their own because i did near enough fuck all.

Rooting for Haund's team to win because they have been most humble and least cancerous team, despite having dundies.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok look. I cannot police people's immature behavior outside of continuing to tell everyone to stop as soon as it happens. Everyone on all sides of all of these arguments needs to chill out. There is no excuse for how people have acted as spectators, I'm not enthused by certain callouts especially by less than blameless users, and saying things like this pupl was straight up bad is just crazy. If you did something wrong, I probably already talked to you about it so please just shut up about the situation, accept that you were immature and in the wrong, and move on to not being an aids spectator. I'd hate for what in reality is about 3 minor incidents and maybe 6 or 7 users total on both sides to blow out of proportion, and the fact that it's happening incidentally to some well-justified salt only makes this way more awkward. So yeah, if you're a spectator, just think for a second before reacting, this shouldn't even remotely have to be an issue.

Also a lot of team tours recently have had a lot of luck but this was definitely insane, I'm legit sorry Dedennes didn't make it, Missies too, a fine team to go out like that is definitely hard to swallow. And the same applies to whichever of pikas or drampas miss out on qualifying, especially when illegality and host decisions get into things it's all just whack and I'm sorry that's affected how much people get to enjoy the last 2 weeks of this tour. This week's just been crazy and I can't believe it's not over yet.

Also, yes BW's inclusion will get looked at but people claiming there was this level of issues with it beforehand are just trying to create retroactive validation. If y'all could get off my back on that as if I'm gonna remove it from the tour for finals or somth, it'd be nice.
e:
MZ Today at 4:16 PM
the only way i would allow bw is if somehow a lot of work with suspects and balancing ended up being done in hte next year and the community said ok I'd give this another go

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I don't really care about any precedent and I do not wish to engage in a prolonged dialogue on the matter with others, so I will simply post my thoughts and then play later (assuming the decision stands).

Letting a player get a rematch after bringing an illegal anything (Pokemon, move, combination, etc.) sets terribly dangerous precedent of its own. It basically says that you can 100% be ignorant of the rules when teambuilding or picking your team with no consequence whatsoever. In fact, it can easily be spun to an advantage if you manipulate the rules on purpose as your opponent will then essentially be wasting the team he planned to use as they will need a new team for the second game. It is true that PS is either misprogrammed or glitched, but the burden of knowledge and legality should 100% be placed on the players shoulders. I have been playing in these tours for over 5 years now and never have I once went in to a game of relevance with any doubts on the legality of my team. If I brought an illegal team, I would take full responsbility and accept the loss because getting a rematch either leaves me with the same position despite being ignorant to the ruleset or leaves me in an advantageous position because my opponent has to pick a new team now. There should not be no punishment for not adhering to the rules and there definitely should not be a potential benefit that you can manipulate the rules to get.

If PU wishes to adhere by these rules that do not punish people for not following the ruleset of the tier and not giving any punishment to those that break the rules, then that is fine -- they are entitled to run their tournaments as they wish. However, knowing this, I will personally not be participating in any future PUPLs if rules of this nature are enforced as I have no interest playing in tournaments that I do not deem competitive. Nah, I'll probably sign-up next year, but just not for BW. Sorry for overreacting a bit, but I still feel as I do for the rules.

I am scheduled to play ggggd in around 3 hours, good luck bud.

Last edited:
carltons right, idk why someone gets a rematch for not following the rules of a tier when it should be a loss... like in every other pl. ALSO this literally happened earlier in the tour and no rematch was forced LOL cmon dudes

anyway, fun tour and thanks evi for drafting me. i was looking forward to playing more pu in playoffs since id just gotten into and enjoyed the tier. my team was a really cool combination of some old friends and some new dudes :heart:

(taskr is the goat)

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I don't really care about any precedent and I do not wish to engage in a prolonged dialogue on the matter with others, so I will simply post my thoughts and then play later (assuming the decision stands).

Letting a player get a rematch after bringing an illegal anything (Pokemon, move, combination, etc.) sets terribly dangerous precedent of its own. It basically says that you can 100% be ignorant of the rules when teambuilding or picking your team with no consequence whatsoever. In fact, it can easily be spun to an advantage if you manipulate the rules on purpose as your opponent will then essentially be wasting the team he planned to use as they will need a new team for the second game. It is true that PS is either misprogrammed or glitched, but the burden of knowledge and legality should 100% be placed on the players shoulders. I have been playing in these tours for over 5 years now and never have I once went in to a game of relevance with any doubts on the legality of my team. If I brought an illegal team, I would take full responsbility and accept the loss because getting a rematch either leaves me with the same position despite being ignorant to the ruleset or leaves me in an advantageous position because my opponent has to pick a new team now. There should not be no punishment for not adhering to the rules and there definitely should not be a potential benefit that you can manipulate the rules to get.

If PU wishes to adhere by these rules that do not punish people for not following the ruleset of the tier and not giving any punishment to those that break the rules, then that is fine -- they are entitled to run their tournaments as they wish. However, knowing this, I will personally not be participating in any future PUPLs if rules of this nature are enforced as I have no interest playing in tournaments that I do not deem competitive. Nah, I'll probably sign-up next year, but just not for BW. Sorry for overreacting a bit, but I still feel as I do for the rules.

I am scheduled to play ggggd in around 3 hours, good luck bud.
The decision does not stand. The main takeaway that i get is that older gens on smogon do not have as much care and respect as they warrant. But i digress

ggggd is disqualified for using an illegal moveset. Egg moves being incorrect on ps for older gens is a known problem that is a result of the sim basing validation on gen6 mechanics. Because the problem is known and is a structural problem, i do not consider it a glitch. While i do find it extremely unfortunate for both ggggd and the drampas as a whole, i believe that this mistake falls on the player even though they were most likely misled by the sim. This will not be changing.

On another note, this occurance is, imo, the final nail in the coffin for gen5 pu. I do not believe that the format in its current state is tournament ready. I personally will be attempting to fix it over the next year to get it in better shape for pupl5. At the very least, I'll be trying to make it more accessible. It will still be played in the playoffs however, so please talk to me if you have any anxiety over validation.

Tagging Megazard and Robert Alfons

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Just wanted to make a quick post thanking everyone on the Drampas for being such a great team to work with. I couldnt have asked for a better group of people to chat, battle, and cheer on. Big thanks to Megazard for drafting me, and for helping us through each week. Its unfortunate the way our run had to end, I'm just happy that I could be a part of this :heart:

Just wanted to say that this PUPL has been really fun and I've enjoyed teaming with everyone on the Missys, the discord has been a good laugh too so big s/o to EviGaro for drafting me for both this and RUPL. I think ppl expected a lot from me and the 30k pricetag but also a lot of ppl thought I would flop and i'm glad I proved them wrong by going 4-1 (5-0 without hax 4-1 without hax :psysly:). Gl to both teams in the final, should be a fun one. :meditites:

Last edited:

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well, I guess if people are doing shoutouts, I'd like to give it a go. Even though we weren't the best team, I'd like to think we'd put a solid effort into it. People did their best to play, like false who has a dodge af timezone compared to the rest of us, we had some pretty decent games going and overall did try and support each other. I feel like, especially for BW and DPP we didn't have as much support as we could've, though Quite Quiet, GeneralAnnoyance, and trash did a bang-up job trying to hold the fort each week. Not the best run but I think given a second chance we could've easily gotten top 3. In a bit lads!

This Pupl was far closer compared to last, where some teams completely dominated while others were left in the dust, so that was pretty neat!

Also lmao Charmflash going 4-0 or something crazy

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
For the record:

Arifeen vs Charmflash has been declared a deadgame. It does not impact any proceedings anyway, but they can still play if they want. See you all in the finals

Also ill keep this thread open so people can do more shoutouts if the mood strikes

Last edited:

EviGaro

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
RU Leader
Hi I'm drunk-ish so I'll do some as well:

Thank you to those who chose me to manage here, despite the fact that I still have to play a pupl game :psysly: There's always next year for that. Big thanks to everyone I bought who was super generous with their time and teams and tests, it's a shame we were so close but it doesn't diminish the journey in my eyes, and I hope it doesn't for you either. Special shoutouts for Taskr somehow being worth my craziness at the auction and to Feliburn who is literally the tie master at this point. Oh I guess to every other Misdreavus because you know you're awesome still.

thanks dibs!

obii draft me for snake

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)