Project PU Player of the Week - Specs

ishtar

lucky stars in your eyes ☆
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
PU Leader
Approved by Akir
Inspired partially by the previous iteration of Player of the Week as well as
Player Interview

jigglypuff.gif

Specs
Favorite Pokemon: Jigglypuff.
Most used Pokemon in DPP PU: Purugly :purugly:
Most known for: PU Mod, PS Global Driver, DPP PU enthusiast, Youtube guy.

togetic.png
Hola hola, mr. Specs! How are you doing on this fine day?

jigglypuff.png
Hola hola, Mr. Keppy! I'm doing quite well :) hope you're doing alright too

togetic.png
Glad to hear, doing pretty well myself :) Can you tell us a bit about yourself outside of Smogon?

jigglypuff.png
I am a 20 year old guy from Toronto, Canada! Right now I do not have a lot going on but once this situation slows down I will be going back to get my High School diploma. My other hobbies outside of mons include working out, giving baseball lessons here and there (not atm for obvious reasons), listening to music, and playing some other games (smash, clash royale, bloons td 6, ect.)

togetic.png
Ah yes, a fellow smasher. Who do you main in Ultimate?

jigglypuff.png
Currently my mains are Captain Falcon and Bowser Jr. However I like to play lots of characters to spice things up. Lucina, Mewtwo, Falco, Sheik, to name a few lol.

togetic.png
Amazing, you're prob extra spicy w that Capt buff, idt im ready to play you again yet kek. How about we move into the topic of our beautiful PU tier and let's actually run it back to a few years. As a contributor to PU for a good number of years now, you've seen people come and go and the community evolve continuously over the years. What's one thing that you're nostalgic about regarding the "old days" when you were getting started in the community? What's something you're glad has changed about PU since that period of time?

jigglypuff.png
Ah yes PU. Well I am sometimes nostalgic about some of the faces we used to see in the room. Growth is a gift and a curse, and for the people that do move on from the game/community I'm sure they're doing some incredible things (Smogon can be quite time consuming.) But yeah not seeing their faces around anymore can be quite hard. As for something I'm glad has changed. The direction we've taken as far as transparency from auth/council towards the room regulars and community as a whole is wonderful. We still have our hidden channels for obvious reasons, however I believe we should be just as active and up front as any other member of the community. This isn't to say we did not have any of this when I was new, I believe we've just improved this.

togetic.png
Mhm, communication and friendliness is definitely an aspect that I'm sure has kept many players around, including myself. This is a very vital topic now since the gen has just started and new players are deciding to join the tier. Interacting with some of the new users is always fun, but its not always easy knowing how to get involved in a new tier with a community you might not be familiar with. What do you think are the best steps that a new user should take in order to get involved with our community?

jigglypuff.png
The PU community is extremely inclusive. The PU room and discord are the best places imo to start off with. We're constantly discussing PU and other current events in the PU discord. The PU room on PS has lots of room tours (just ask for one if one isn't up!) and you can ask for battles directly there too. My best advice is just don't be afraid to barge in one day and start talking, everyone is a newbie at some point.

togetic.png
Indeed, this is a start that almost everyone who's been around PU for a while can relate to, and definitely a reason to stay! I think something that is also worth discussing for players who might be already familiar with the tier and might wanna expand their horizons are old gens. As a known DPP PUer, as well as with your knowledge of other old gens, you know that the process of getting to know an old gen can be quite different from the experience a new user might have when trying to hop on ladder and try to figure out SS PU. What advice would you give to players trying to expand their PU knowledge by exploring the old gens and how do you think that dynamic differs from getting into a current tier?

jigglypuff.png
Learning a current gen tier isn't easy per say, but there is always a lot more going on there. Resources are more up to date, there is a lot more discussion, you can reach out to more people more often for information, ect. With old gens you aren't on your own, but it's on you how much you want to reach out. Information is out there and can get you somewhat far with the meta knowledge gained from it, but you can't just hop on a ladder and try something out. You will have to reach out to other players of this gen for a battle, second opinion, more in depth knowledge, why something runs what it does (no full on written analyses for the most part), ect. So I say all this because the best way to learn an old gen is to ask questions or talk about it with other players (#oldgens_pu on discord is a magical place to find those) and to find battles with said players!

togetic.png
Seems like communication is a common theme of the interview so far! Definitely a lot to explore in the different old gens, and people should definitely give it a go. Talking about things people should try, which is a slept on DPP PU mon you think more people should be aware of? Is it Parasect????

jigglypuff.png
A couple months ago I would've said Magmar, but the people know about it now! And rightfully so lol. Right now I would probably say Monferno. The lead set is the most popular set, but man does it break a lot and have a lot of options too. Band, Scarf, Mixed with HP Grass, SD 3 attacks, SD 2 attack protect, Taunt Special or Physical. It's a bit tougher to fit than your average breaker but you get a lot of mileage out of it. And no sorry, Akir would be disappointed but I do NOT think Parasect is slept on. You know, despite it having 100% accuracy sleep and all.

togetic.png
Monkeys in PU been doin it right for so long now. Don't sleep on monferno, people! Honestly don't have a good transition into this next loaded question so here it goes: You were a member of PU council for a period of time this gen, and I'm sure that this experience gave you insight into tiering, how to view starting metas and the influence of certain mons on a tier. More often than not everyone will have a different opinion on certain metas and how they should change, what's something you've learned about the tiering through your experiences as a council member that you previously didn't consider?

jigglypuff.png
Ah yes, council! What I learned the most about was asking yourself "what are we working towards here?" After each ban, something will inevitably come up that is close to as scary and there is 0 you can do. Which is why we often don't inherently tier for future metas. However you can tier for obtaining aspects of a meta that should be there. What I was working towards with my work on council was making sure: there was diversity in building, the better player would win more often, and that the tier was in a fun spot. While I don't believe we've obtained everything there just yet, we're getting there.

togetic.png
Ah yes, progress! Let's talk about progress! We've finally reached playoffs after 7 weeks of continual PUPLing it up. Which has been some of the techs/mons that you've enjoyed the most from the DPP games? What do you think of the changes and progress that have been achieved in this meta in the previous year?

jigglypuff.png
I've been enjoying some of the techs my good friend GeneralAnnoyance has brought. Scarf Relicanth, Leaf Blade Bellossom to break past CMers, defensive Gabite, Life orb lead Monferno. Heysup also brought a lot of Custap berry, it's a very high skill sort of item and he sure knows how to use it well. Grovyle is also cool as shit. I love where DPP is at. We have more people learning, more cool techs, more people helping out (reach out to me if u need any DPP stuff), more discussion. If you like what you've seen in PUPL, now is the best time get into the action.

togetic.png
Definitely, some of my favorite matches continue being DPP PU games for that same reason, a very exciting tier for sure! This PUPL as a whole has been quite surprising and exciting in showcasing the viability and performance of some of the teams and players. Who are some of the up and coming users that you've taken notice of through their performances/building?

jigglypuff.png
Procopius can play man, s/o to him because I didn't know too much about him before this tour but very glad he joined. bugzinator while not an unknown player has been killing it in current gen and I hope he sticks around. The Claydol's builder as a whole have impressed me, current gen is a mess when it comes to building high level teams consistently and they've been on top of that. I'm not sure exactly who all of them are so just s/o to TJ for getting them all together. twitch.tv/Bag_of_Trixx (yes that's his actual smogon name people lol) I've heard has been a hard worker building for the Carkol's, so s/o to him for putting in the time.

togetic.png
Yea yea like and subscribe! Now onto more relevant news, The Magic Meowstic!!! have guaranteed a spot for playoffs by beating the Clairvoyant Claydols this previous week. What's the dynamic like in your team and how has it evolved in order to overcome obstacles and secure this spot?

jigglypuff.png
A key thing every successful team needs is communication, in order to understand each other. I think our team has that. We don't churn out the most builds, we probably don't test the most, ect. But what we do have are some pretty good friends (I've teamed/worked with a majority of the team before for example) that know each others play styles, what they like using, and what they don't like using. All of this has given us a spot in play offs, and after last weeks performance a serious shot at winning this whole thing. S/o to my team mates!

togetic.png
Yea yea, can't really wish you good luck since we play you this week kek but I'm glad that y'all were able to make it. Lets have some good matches! All of that progress your team and the others have been able to make flourishes as we approach playoffs. Which are some of the highlight matches you wouldn't wanna miss this week?

jigglypuff.png
Oh yeah, I have to hate you for a week lol. Every single SS game this week is a highlight in my eyes. LordST vs robjr in SM is cool, respect them both greatly as players. soulgazer vs yandaud again in SM is one I am also looking forward to, SG always brings great teams and yandaud has been doing solid in this tour. Teddeh vs lighthouses in ORAS is one to look out for as well. You should watch any Teddeh game anyways but I just love some high level ORAS and these guys can bring it.

togetic.png
Lots of PU, and also lots of new mons to play around in SS. Our little tier gets to be shaken up once again and revitalized for this final stretch of the tour. Which drop do you think will be the healthiest for the tier? Which do you expect to see the most?

jigglypuff.png
Probably the healthiest is Dugtrio Alola. Offensive rocker with good dual stab, priority, sub toxic stuff, great speed tier. Seems like a lot of fun to use. As far as which one will see the most use, Morpeko seems to add the most to builds in one slot. Parting shot support, semi-speed control, removal, and breaking potential. All of that combined sounds scary, even if its stupid cute.

togetic.png
Its a great time to play PU with these tiny scary creatures.

In this upcoming segment that Ill call "Spill the Sinistea" (s/o trixx for the name), well be discussing some of the HOT and most essential topics of discussion in PU. the debate over the name for Rapidash-Galar has created big controversy, heated arguments, but also solidarity amongst those who are like minded in their amazing and terrible opinions. As the creator of the Gorse movement, is there someone you'd find fit for the role of vicepresident of this revolution?

jigglypuff.png
As head of the Gorse movement tm, I have thought long and hard about this decision. I've gotta give it to Many though. Reason being, he was the first one in the PU discord to laugh at my Gorse suggestion. This along with his continued support has more than earned this position. And for all those reading, your support for Gorse will help me make great decisions such as these!

togetic.png
Ah, of gorse! What a great answer from our leader! Do you think people will one day wake up to a perfect world in which everyone refers to Rapidash Galar as Gorse, or is the search for this utopia futile due to the powers that be?

jigglypuff.png
Well, we are still quite a small movement. At the moment I can only hope that we continue to grow, day by day. Though, my gut feeling is that this Utopia might not as far as it may seem.

togetic.png
This the type of story you should write a book about. I have one final gorse question for you! If you were a Gorse, do you think you'd be running an SD set, a CM set or one of the other ones? This answer will say a lot about your personality and will definitely influence the reaction score of this post. Answer carefully.

jigglypuff.png
If I was more into match up fishing, some CM Morning Sun would be my go to. However, the consistency of SD with either Pads or Boots is what I gravitate more towards. (S/o to band with healing wish, scary good sometimes.)

togetic.png
Ah yes, CM set is the mark of a calm and methodical leader, one that waits for the right moment to strike and aims for the light of the morning sun to create a new day. But the SD set is the sign of a fearless leader, smashing head on into the opposition. Some people are just able to ignore this duality to become something more. I kinda assume that no one is reading at this point since I started the gorse questions, so maybe this is the right time to mention some of your favorite people on the site!

jigglypuff.png
Oh yeah, gotta get you some more likes on this post. They're quite important, or so I've heard. There are wayyyy too many people on this site that I've had the pleasure of meeting. TJ keppy Chloe vivalospride In The Hills EviGaro gum 2xTheTap Akir GeneralAnnoyance asa UberSkitty Plans royesk Brandon twitch.tv/Bag_of_Trixx HJAD Teddeh false dibs yogi tlenit1 Urusius Ktütverde I'm missing a million people and im so sorry but yeah

togetic.png
Beautiful people! Beautiful people! Now for one final question, the most controversial of all: do you wear glasses?

jigglypuff.png
Everyone might think differently of me because of this, but the answer is no! Sorry to disappoint.

togetic.png
Well there you have it! Specs, thank you so much for taking the time to be interviewed and I hope you enjoyed the whole thing. We got to know you a bit better, and thru this we're able to showcase the friendliness and evolution of this tier and community that we love so much. ^-^

jigglypuff.png
Thank you for having me, and hosting such a great project :)

:purugly: :golduck: :victreebel: :torkoal: :misdreavus: :electabuzz:
Mr. Specs was kind enough to show us one of his favorite DPP PU teams, for anyone willing to try out the tier, click on the sprites to go directly to it!
Here is a team I made awhile ago and has a lot of Pokemon I like piloting in the gen. While it wasn't made just last week, I believe it still holds up today in some ways. Purugly is the best Pokemon in DPP PU in my opinion. It's a necessary skill to be able to use Purugly throughout the game as well as possible. It's also arguably the best lead, and lets you play the game on your terms from the get go, 90% of teams appreciate what Purugly gives teams. Golduck is the next member, it's quite the scary water. Being able to hard into threats such as Rhydon with a bulky set like this and force them out gives Golduck the opportunities it needs in order to set up. Protect is there to guard against Fake out Purugly, while also being able to scout sets and gain free lefties at the same time! Victreebel finds it's way in during the game on Pokemon like Electabuzz, Tangela, Bellossom, Ampharos, ect. Once it is in it's one of the scariest breakers in the tier, while also threatening Sleep (which is broken). To finish the unintentional FWG core, we have Torkoal! Torkoal isn't seen as much as it used to but, it still does it's job very well. While being rock weak sucks, it still finds it's way in on Purugly, Muk, Pinsir, Bellossom, and others to be able to spin. I'm generally not too big on removal in DPP but some teams just want it and this is one of them. Misdreavus has come back hard as one of the best Pokemon in DPP PU.

It's ability to come in on so much, do so much while in, and be incredibly hard to kill make it something you really need to think about during building and playing. This team doesn't have a Rock so Missy is the go to Purugly switch in. Last but not least Electabuzz. I mentioned how important the way you play Purugly is, it's the same with Electabuzz. If you're able to get it in a lot through double switches or U-turns, and are able to make good midgrounds or hard predictions you will win more and more games even if your opponent has a Bellossom for example. I like these high skill mons because it challenges you as a player to do better and learn more and more about what to do in common situations, which translates into using other Pokemon in the tier better as well. If you would like to use this team, consider making Torkoal either a Relicanth or a Rhydon. I said earlier that removal is very good on the team and it is, however a more threatening rocker + an extra normal resist looks solid here. Misdreavus could be made a sub CM set, that is probably the most consistent set now and it gives the team some extra balance breaking power. Hope this wasn't too long keppy lol, and hope you all enjoy reading!

Thank you so much for reading this iteration of Player of the Week! As the weeks go on I hope to evolve the format progressively so its always a more enjoyable read. Hmu if you happen to have any suggestions, and thank you Specs once again for being a great sport!

ASK SPECS QUESTIONS IF YOU SO DESIRE! This is your time to show your hilarious Specs Jigglypuff and Gorse puns!

Last edited:

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
As of your latest SM PU and over all old gen performances you have been quite aggressive in your lines. How do you Canadians keep up the pressure and never ending momentum? Do you think you have found your inner Canadian Geese to make it happen?

1596498936701.png

And oh, yes, we want to definitely know whats ur favorite restaurant and dish there

Brandon

My flop era is lowkey serving
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hi mister specs! I have some questions for you!

1.) :appletun: or :pikasmirk:?
2.) If you could get rid of your apologetic Canadian accent for another, what one would you choose and why?
3.) What is your favorite twitch.tv/Bag_of_Trixx quote?
4.) If you could add one mon to SS PU right now (whether it be released or not), what would it be?
5.) This is probably the most controversial question I'll ask you: what game should barba stream next?

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
1) is there any mon you'd free from publ? if yes, which one, and why?
2) what do you think of the current sm meta?
3) could u rank all the oldgens from best to worst iyo?
4) what's your favourite lana song / album (obligatory question)
5) what your favourite song (and album) of all time?
6) why do u call galardash, g*rse?

Why is Jigglypuff your favorite?
Thought on each and every single of the canon Eeveelutions?
Why do you pronounce Galarian Rapidash as Gorse?
What is your favorite genre of music? Your least favorite?
Have you tried other metagames outside of PU? What was it like?

Bag of Trixx

I like to call it a passion
is a Pre-Contributor
SHPECTICLES!

I was gonna ask you these questions at some point BUTTT since keppy interviewed you I figured this would be the PERFECT opportunity to get a free post so I can change my damn name errr I mean to share some of the hilarious moments we have had together!

1) For real, how are you actually so good at SpyFall? It is kinda insane at the fact you manage to convince me almost every freakin time that you aren't the spy, even when you are clearly the spy.

2) In order, please state your top 5 favorite fruits. (If Green Grapes is not listed, your entire list is inaccurate).

3) Since nobody other than the people in our discord know, we are doing a Pokemon Emerald Challenge Nuzlocke! On your team, out of your remaining mons, who do you think will make it all the way to the very end of the game with you? Are there any mons you wish didn't die so early or is there some kind of strategy involved with who's left for you to pick up on the rest of your journey?

4) Will you let me have a conversation with your gas station friend next time you get a coffee?

5) Recommend me some more Kanye songs!

1. fav barba atun quote? (mine personally is
[19:57] rav3ndanfromjungle: There are som hungarian people in my house
[19:57] rav3ndanfromjungle: i think they talk bad of doduo )

2. when are you making your own podcast and beating untier talk in views

3. list ur top 10 kanye songs not named runaway (if u cant put it down to 10 just name a few that you especially like)

4. pineapple on pizza y/n?

5. lil baby or dababy

6. thoughts on 100 gecs?

7. thoughts on earl sweatshirt?

8. thoughts on poggaroo?

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
As of your latest SM PU and over all old gen performances you have been quite aggressive in your lines. How do you Canadians keep up the pressure and never ending momentum? Do you think you have found your inner Canadian Geese to make it happen?

View attachment 266572

And oh, yes, we want to definitely know whats ur favorite restaurant and dish there
LOL thank you for these never ending quality geese memes. As for keeping up the momentum and pressure, I think that's how I've always played the game. You can outlast your opponent to win a game but winning quickly lessens the amount of RNG that can happen (most of the time :psycry:.) This is especially the case in fast paced gens like ORAS and DPP where every turn matters. As for how I do it: I try to see sequences in my head before the battle even starts. eg. If I get in Leafeon via this method, they're forced out into Silvally-Poison every time, and that opens up CB Aggron who gets a kill every single time it gets in.

My favorite restaurant is probably Taco Bell or Wendy's. We also have this really nice Burger place called Apache Burger. As far as my favorite dish: Anything Sea food really, my family hates anything fish related so I rarely get to have it. That just makes it more of a treat though :) ty for the question friend!
Hi mister specs! I have some questions for you!

1.) :appletun: or :pikasmirk:?
2.) If you could get rid of your apologetic Canadian accent for another, what one would you choose and why?
3.) What is your favorite twitch.tv/Bag_of_Trixx quote?
4.) If you could add one mon to SS PU right now (whether it be released or not), what would it be?
5.) This is probably the most controversial question I'll ask you: what game should barba stream next?
Hi mister Brandon, happy to answer!

1.) Definitely :pikasmirk: EviGaro has made this a classic emote.
2.) Probably a British accent. I've always been fond of them and joining Smogon has only made me want one more! The pronunciations are cool, and they always sound so smart LOL.
3.) Well, I'm hoping you mean what quote is my favorite that is 100% Smogon friendly LOL.
trixx.jpg
(obviously it's a joke and out of context in case I needed to say this)
4.) I'll give you one for released and unreleased, if that's okay :)
For released probably Liepard man, I miss that thing. With sun nerfed to shit it wouldn't be put on a broken play style (could make rain better but still.) CB and NP copycat were 2 really cool sets and kinda miss it a lot.
Unreleased maybe Regice. I don't think it would be busted. Boots sounds really cool, but you would give up LO for example and there are no Z moves this gen. Seems like a nice tank, and ice resists are something I always welcome.
5.) Maybe some Pokemon in game stuff, Super Mario World also sounds funny. "gobo dino's trying to attack mr. Mario :v["

1) is there any mon you'd free from publ? if yes, which one, and why?
2) what do you think of the current sm meta?
3) could u rank all the oldgens from best to worst iyo?
4) what's your favourite lana song / album (obligatory question)
5) what your favourite song (and album) of all time?
6) why do u call galardash, g*rse?
Hello gum!
1) At some point if/when things slow down and we dont have to ban things ever 1 - 2 weeks I would like to look at some Silvally's. At the very least having a conversation. Maybe elec-vally as we have more bulky grounds and beam prolly does 0 to Stunfisk. Seems like we have more counter measures to them, but hey maybe not!
2) I greatly dislike building in it as it feels very centralized around Eel Muds Jelli ect. Playing is fine, it's arguably the most skill based gen we have. It's not my fav gen but not by least favorite. Would be nice to see some innovations made, but I understand it's hard to not just pull up with Eel Muds and fight it out from there.
3) Best to worst: 4/6/7/5/3
4) Born to die is the most interesting album to me, the sound was ahead of it's time and you can hear that albums influence even now. NFR is a close second. My favorite song is probably National Anthem or Born to Die!
5) Illmatic by Nas or My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West are 2 masterpieces (big hip hop guy for those who don't know). I don't have a favorite song of all time but from Illmatic check out The World is yours and NY State of Mind. And from MBDTF check out Runaway and Hell of a Life.
6) I'm a big saracasm guy so continuing to call it that is very funny to me because it's actually a really bad if we want the name to be practical. So yeah it's just been something I've enjoyed joking about lol.
ty for the q's! especially the music ones.

hello specs :)

fav wayne song?
fav wayne album?
fav wayne mixtape?
fav thing that the f in weezy f baby stands for?

no more questions
Hello Viv fancy seeing you around these parts :)

wayne song: either john, lollipop, or how to love!
wayne album: carter 3 (super basic ik but it's a classic)
wayne mixtape: dedication 2 has some of his best work. da drought 3 is a close second and arguably better.
I think it's "fornicate" but "for you to find out" is probably my fav lol

SHPECTICLES!

I was gonna ask you these questions at some point BUTTT since keppy interviewed you I figured this would be the PERFECT opportunity to get a free post so I can change my damn name errr I mean to share some of the hilarious moments we have had together!

1) For real, how are you actually so good at SpyFall? It is kinda insane at the fact you manage to convince me almost every freakin time that you aren't the spy, even when you are clearly the spy.

2) In order, please state your top 5 favorite fruits. (If Green Grapes is not listed, your entire list is inaccurate).

3) Since nobody other than the people in our discord know, we are doing a Pokemon Emerald Challenge Nuzlocke! On your team, out of your remaining mons, who do you think will make it all the way to the very end of the game with you? Are there any mons you wish didn't die so early or is there some kind of strategy involved with who's left for you to pick up on the rest of your journey?

4) Will you let me have a conversation with your gas station friend next time you get a coffee?

5) Recommend me some more Kanye songs!
BAG HI

1) I'm a decent liar and can put together some quick bullshit, that's the key to the game. And why they call me long game specs :pikasmirk:
2) in no order: Banana, Watermelon, Grapes of the green kind, Peach, Pineapple.
3) I have a feeling Hariyama will never die (probably because it's broken). My goal is to just wing it and see what I can do. There are tons of hidden gems out there in the wild so while Gyarados and Combusken were good, I trust my skills :3
4) One day!
5) I listed some above when responding to gum but: Through the Wire, Diamonds from Sierra Leone (there is a jay z version too, listen to both), Welcome to Heartbreak, Touch the Sky, Amazing, So appalled, Coldest winter.
ty for your questions sir

1. fav barba atun quote? (mine personally is
[19:57] rav3ndanfromjungle: There are som hungarian people in my house
[19:57] rav3ndanfromjungle: i think they talk bad of doduo )

2. when are you making your own podcast and beating untier talk in views

3. list ur top 10 kanye songs not named runaway (if u cant put it down to 10 just name a few that you especially like)

4. pineapple on pizza y/n?

5. lil baby or dababy

6. thoughts on 100 gecs?

7. thoughts on earl sweatshirt?

8. thoughts on poggaroo?
1) [22:58] golden alpaca: half of my decision moves are made by the beer inside my brain now
or
[07:53] +golden alpaca: a monkey with an iq of a banana can win at that level dwibber
2) hmmmmm once I want to record again. I'd want to do stuff about current gen but it's not good enough to where I want to play it ever day. SO I'll do it at some point.
3) Any of the songs above in my response to trixx!
4) Pineapple can go on pizza, but it needs to be half decent pizza
5) Lil baby, I dislike a lot of Dababy's work. Lil baby has improved a tonnnnnnn and is diverse now too.
6) I don't see the appeal but I listen to some weird shit too so I respect it. They just aren't for me LOL
7) He gets a lot of respect but super underrated and I see a lot of ppl clowning him for no reason
8) No
ty PH!

Hi Specs i have some questions for you n_n

1) What is your 2nd favorite generation of pu?

2) 2nd Favorite pokemon?

3) Favorite mega evolution?

4) do you like the soccer?
Hello Rahel! Glad to hear, let's get to answering em :)

1) ORAS for sure, building is more diverse and there are so many fun genuinely viable mons. Perfect blend of power creep too imo.
2) Either Mewtwo or Jirachi. I'll give the edge to Mewtwo because he's super bad ass and his movie was the best.
3) Mega Gengar is really cool, the shiny especially. Mega Pinsir and Mega Beedrill are tied at 2nd!
4) Not really unfortunately. I used to play FIFA a lot and watch some Arsenal and Man City but haven't since around 2016! Respect the sport though and my City has a team so go TFC :]

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
Hi Specaroonies!!

1. Male or Female Unfezant?

2.What is your most proudest achievement in life and on Pokémon Showdown

3. Favourite memory in Pokémon?

4. Vegemite on toast or fairy bread?

5. Who do you get along with the most?

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hi Specaroonies!!

1. Male or Female Unfezant?

2.What is your most proudest achievement in life and on Pokémon Showdown

3. Favourite memory in Pokémon?

4. Vegemite on toast or fairy bread?

5. Who do you get along with the most?
Hey ptf :)

1. Male looks better imo but I respect strong independent women!
2. In life I'm very proud on my progression as a person. I used to not be the best person in the world and one day I woke up and said I would be nicer to people and more empathetic and understanding. So yeah just proud of myself there :]
As far as Smogon/PS I'm proud of where I'm at in the PU community. Being able to be involved as much as I am is really cool and I'm happy with how I've affected the room and community! I work hard with my auth friends to keep things going smoothly and making sure we do what's best.
3) Playing through Pokemon Emerald and Fire red as a kid were wonderful memories. I used to go to a daycare as a kid and we would all bring our gameboys/Ds's and sit around, talk about the game, discuss where to go, show our favorite Pokemon, ect.
4) Considering I don't know what fairy bread is and I like toast, we'll go with toast!
5) I'd like to say I get a long with everyone in the community at least well enough. Everyone who is in a side server/private room with me has been more than welcome and I've became great friends with them because of it :) I've also worked well with the PU auth really well over the years, disagreements happen but as I said before our goals are the same so that always helps.
ty for the wonderful questions!

LOL thank you for these never ending quality geese memes. As for keeping up the momentum and pressure, I think that's how I've always played the game. You can outlast your opponent to win a game but winning quickly lessens the amount of RNG that can happen (most of the time :psycry:.) This is especially the case in fast paced gens like ORAS and DPP where every turn matters. As for how I do it: I try to see sequences in my head before the battle even starts. eg. If I get in Leafeon via this method, they're forced out into Silvally-Poison every time, and that opens up CB Aggron who gets a kill every single time it gets in.

My favorite restaurant is probably Taco Bell or Wendy's. We also have this really nice Burger place called Apache Burger. As far as my favorite dish: Anything Sea food really, my family hates anything fish related so I rarely get to have it. That just makes it more of a treat though :) ty for the question friend!

Hi mister Brandon, happy to answer!

1.) Definitely :pikasmirk: EviGaro has made this a classic emote.
2.) Probably a British accent. I've always been fond of them and joining Smogon has only made me want one more! The pronunciations are cool, and they always sound so smart LOL.
3.) Well, I'm hoping you mean what quote is my favorite that is 100% Smogon friendly LOL.
View attachment 266575 (obviously it's a joke and out of context in case I needed to say this)
4.) I'll give you one for released and unreleased, if that's okay :)
For released probably Liepard man, I miss that thing. With sun nerfed to shit it wouldn't be put on a broken play style (could make rain better but still.) CB and NP copycat were 2 really cool sets and kinda miss it a lot.
Unreleased maybe Regice. I don't think it would be busted. Boots sounds really cool, but you would give up LO for example and there are no Z moves this gen. Seems like a nice tank, and ice resists are something I always welcome.
5.) Maybe some Pokemon in game stuff, Super Mario World also sounds funny. "gobo dino's trying to attack mr. Mario :v["

Hello gum!
1) At some point if/when things slow down and we dont have to ban things ever 1 - 2 weeks I would like to look at some Silvally's. At the very least having a conversation. Maybe elec-vally as we have more bulky grounds and beam prolly does 0 to Stunfisk. Seems like we have more counter measures to them, but hey maybe not!
2) I greatly dislike building in it as it feels very centralized around Eel Muds Jelli ect. Playing is fine, it's arguably the most skill based gen we have. It's not my fav gen but not by least favorite. Would be nice to see some innovations made, but I understand it's hard to not just pull up with Eel Muds and fight it out from there.
3) Best to worst: 4/6/7/5/3
4) Born to die is the most interesting album to me, the sound was ahead of it's time and you can hear that albums influence even now. NFR is a close second. My favorite song is probably National Anthem or Born to Die!
5) Illmatic by Nas or My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West are 2 masterpieces (big hip hop guy for those who don't know). I don't have a favorite song of all time but from Illmatic check out The World is yours and NY State of Mind. And from MBDTF check out Runaway and Hell of a Life.
6) I'm a big saracasm guy so continuing to call it that is very funny to me because it's actually a really bad if we want the name to be practical. So yeah it's just been something I've enjoyed joking about lol.
ty for the q's! especially the music ones.

Hello Viv fancy seeing you around these parts :)

wayne song: either john, lollipop, or how to love!
wayne album: carter 3 (super basic ik but it's a classic)
wayne mixtape: dedication 2 has some of his best work. da drought 3 is a close second and arguably better.
I think it's "fornicate" but "for you to find out" is probably my fav lol

BAG HI

1) I'm a decent liar and can put together some quick bullshit, that's the key to the game. And why they call me long game specs :pikasmirk:
2) in no order: Banana, Watermelon, Grapes of the green kind, Peach, Pineapple.
3) I have a feeling Hariyama will never die (probably because it's broken). My goal is to just wing it and see what I can do. There are tons of hidden gems out there in the wild so while Gyarados and Combusken were good, I trust my skills :3
4) One day!
5) I listed some above when responding to gum but: Through the Wire, Diamonds from Sierra Leone (there is a jay z version too, listen to both), Welcome to Heartbreak, Touch the Sky, Amazing, So appalled, Coldest winter.
ty for your questions sir

1) [22:58] golden alpaca: half of my decision moves are made by the beer inside my brain now
or
[07:53] +golden alpaca: a monkey with an iq of a banana can win at that level dwibber
2) hmmmmm once I want to record again. I'd want to do stuff about current gen but it's not good enough to where I want to play it ever day. SO I'll do it at some point.
3) Any of the songs above in my response to trixx!
4) Pineapple can go on pizza, but it needs to be half decent pizza
5) Lil baby, I dislike a lot of Dababy's work. Lil baby has improved a tonnnnnnn and is diverse now too.
6) I don't see the appeal but I listen to some weird shit too so I respect it. They just aren't for me LOL
7) He gets a lot of respect but super underrated and I see a lot of ppl clowning him for no reason
8) No
ty PH!

Hello Rahel! Glad to hear, let's get to answering em :)

1) ORAS for sure, building is more diverse and there are so many fun genuinely viable mons. Perfect blend of power creep too imo.
2) Either Mewtwo or Jirachi. I'll give the edge to Mewtwo because he's super bad ass and his movie was the best.
3) Mega Gengar is really cool, the shiny especially. Mega Pinsir and Mega Beedrill are tied at 2nd!
4) Not really unfortunately. I used to play FIFA a lot and watch some Arsenal and Man City but haven't since around 2016! Respect the sport though and my City has a team so go TFC :]
you skipped my post

also hi btw

hi

opinion on flareon in gen8 pu?

funnest pokemon game you played?

what is a tier you have never tried but think would be cool?

what player strikes fear into your heart in battles when fighting against?

do you use a chair with ergonomic support?

how do you feel about everyone saying gl and then apologizing for hax?

Specs

Getting in your own way
you skipped my post
So sorry about that! I was doing it on phone while walking outside D:

Why is Jigglypuff your favorite?
Thought on each and every single of the canon Eeveelutions?
Why do you pronounce Galarian Rapidash as Gorse?
What is your favorite genre of music? Your least favorite?
Have you tried other metagames outside of PU? What was it like?
1) It was just a mon I saw in the anime and really liked. It had a funny personality and the singing thing was cute!
2) Umbreon is annoying and sucks, Leafeon is the best and the cutest and coolest looking, Glaceon is beautiful and has nice eyes, Vaporeon is really really cool and I like offensive sets in competitive like in ADV, Jolteon I wish was better nowadays but it was one of my more favorite eeveelutions as a kid, Flareon is underrated but has been cursed for so many generations people have forgotten about it alot, Espeon is solid I like psychic types and Espeon's magic bounce makes it very unique, Sylveon is annoying to kill but I like the hyper voice + pixilate thing and it's one of the more solid gen 6 mons.
3) I mentioned in my response to Gum but I have a really bad sense of humor so gorse is the funniest thing I could come up with when the conversation about Galarian Rapdiash names
4) Hip Hop is something I could listen to all day, the production and rawness of it is amazing. Country or Classical are tied for least favourite. They do not have what I look for in music generally!
5) I play a lot of old gen OU's like ADV and DPP but not enough to consider them a main meta game I play! I watch anything competitive Pokemon related though so that isn't to say I don't know each current meta generally

Specs

Getting in your own way
hi

opinion on flareon in gen8 pu?

funnest pokemon game you played?

what is a tier you have never tried but think would be cool?

what player strikes fear into your heart in battles when fighting against?

do you use a chair with ergonomic support?

how do you feel about everyone saying gl and then apologizing for hax?
hi zoowi!
1) It seems like a decent support option with boots + wish and flash fire. Breaker sets seem scary but killing itself with it's STAB while being outsped by a good amount of the offensive meta game makes me think it'll be a fine addition to the tier.
2) Any game where I win and my opponent loses! Nah but I once had a game in OU where Togekiss single handily 1v1'd a Heatran and Scizor because they never harded into Scizor with me showing Flamethrower earlier on. I had para flinched their Heatran 10 times in a row which allowed me to live their bulky Scizor's BP thanks to lefties. Some might call it stupid but I find it so funny that para flinch is allowed, so it was fun.
3) Probably UU. They have a great community and their tier always looks somewhat cool, but I've never fully gotten invested. Lc seems alright but building looks like a bitch.
4) Teddeh and Finch were both scary asf facing them in tour play, I kept my composure but you never feel exactly safe against them. HJAD is also wild and will just call his plays to you and you don't know if he's bluffing or not.
5) No my chair sucks but it's not worth going out and spending money on a new one!
6) I think it's a nice thing to do if the hax genuinely affected the outcome and you wanted a clean game (which is extremely rare), but yeah I'm one of those ppl who will apologize. But I respect people if they really aren't sorry just not saying it, better to keep it 100

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
What are some things you like about Toronto? What are some things you hate? Been anywhere else in Canada? Which place was your favorite? Would you live somewhere else if you had the chance, and where?

Specs

Getting in your own way
What are some things you like about Toronto? What are some things you hate? Been anywhere else in Canada? Which place was your favorite? Would you live somewhere else if you had the chance, and where?
Toronto is really multicultural, so you see lots of people with different beliefs ect. It's nice to not have one sort of mindset around you. I don't like that our beaches kinda suck, they're polluted and it is tough to see a potential nice body of water ruined D:. Downtown is my fav for sure, there is always something going on down there and I like big groups of people while at the same time not having to interact with anyone lol. I've always wanted to live in NYC, as I said downtown Toronto is really cool so I like highly populated areas. NYC just seems to have a cool vibe, at the very least I would love to visit there once.

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
Hello Specs, big :rotom-fan:

1) What's your favorite shiny Pokemon?
2) What's the first Pokemon game/generation you played?
3) If you could learn any other competitive video game other than ones you already know, what would you pick?
4) If you had to pick only one TV show to watch for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Specs

Getting in your own way
Favorite Kanye Album?

Have you ever been to the US? If so, what struck you the most about it and what was your favorite place? If not, where would you most like to visit?

Who is The Scientist of DPP PU?

Why didnt you shout me out? :puff:
Hey ls:b:!

1) fav kanye album is definitely My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, gorgeous album that will live on forever. Graduation and 808s are tied for 2nd
2) I've been to Washington and Baltimore only. The vibe is just kinda different from Canada. I think it was mostly the people. Just less please and thank you's, not many ppl holding doors for you ect. But I did love seeing new stores, land marks ive never seen in person (got a tour of the white house, it was sick).
3) I believe the scientist is Carkol
4) I MISSED SO MANY PEOPLE IM SORRY I LOVE YOU ALL AAAAA
ty for the questions :)

Hello Specs, big :rotom-fan:

1) What's your favorite shiny Pokemon?
2) What's the first Pokemon game/generation you played?
3) If you could learn any other competitive video game other than ones you already know, what would you pick?
4) If you had to pick only one TV show to watch for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Hello sergio big rotom of you too!

1) Probably Minior, the colors are sick asf
2) Generation was 3 and the game was technically Fire red but the first game in the series I owned was Ruby. Gen 3 best gen
3) Chess for sure. I'm half decent for someone who mainly watches tournaments but if I could just get good without putting in 10 years of my life I totally would. It's a wonderful game.
4) Either The Office or South Park. The Office because no matter how many times you watch it it'll always be funny. South Park cuz dark humour can be funny, you just have to watch it in small doses.

Hello Specs!

1) Which rotom do you like the most?
2) classic me moments
which one is funnier, this one? -
or this one? -

3) How good at mons am I on a scale of 1 to bad?
4) Have you been to Asia?
5) What is Canada like (in terms of weather, food, scenery, food, people, food and food)?; I haven't had the fortune (or misfortune idk) to go there.

Last edited:

Specs

Getting in your own way
Hello Specs!

1) Which rotom do you like the most?
2) classic me moments
which one is funnier, this one? -
or this one? -

3) How good at mons am I on a scale of 1 to bad?
4) Have you been to Asia?
5) What is Canada like (in terms of weather, food, scenery, food, people, food and food)?; I haven't had the fortune (or misfortune idk) to go there.
Hello bulba :)

1) I like the look of Rotom-Wash the most!
2) The fuck you meme was funny, so #1
3) In all honesty I haven't seen you play enough to rate but I remember battling you a couple times and you put up a fight, so 3!
4) I have not :( only been to the US and my home of Canada
5) The weather where I'm at in Toronto is hot summers, very cold winters. Extreme on both ends lol. The scenery is nice, especially in places like British Columbia. I have family over there and the mountains are beautiful. People are nice (not as nice as the stereotypes make it out to be, but nice)! The food is similar to the US, lots of fast food but you can get good food if you search for it. If you haven't had Poutine before, try to find it or make it at some point. Hope you can come over here at some point, Canada is cool.
Ty for the questions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)