Project PU CCAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are allowed to suggest the next teammate, I'm going to throw Gourgeist-Super out there.

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb
- Shadow Sneak

So what does this Scraggy set have issues with? Poliwrath and Throh can each come in and phaze it, while taking very little damage from Scraggy's moves. Flying-types like Articuno, Chatot, Pelipper, and Swanna can all beat Scraggy with Hurricane or Chatter. Bulky poison-types that carry Clear Smog give Scraggy plenty of trouble (without it, they tend to be setup fodder). Lastly, while there are few fairies in the tier, they can all easily waste Scraggy. Togetic may well be the biggest threat to Scraggy because while you can knock off its eviolite, you can't even come close to KOing it and you're destroyed by Dazzling Gleam. Mr. Mime and Wigglytuff may have more trouble switching in, but they can easily check Scraggy, as can basically anything with a Fairy-type move.

Now what does Scraggy deal with? It easily deals with Musharna and Psychics other than Mime, as well as ghosts such as Dusknoir and Haunter (probably also the Gourgeist forms despite Leech Seed), notably giving no fucks about Will-o-Wisp. Scraggy can also take care of Dark-types, although he strongly dislikes losing his eviolite to Knock Off.

So where does that leave us? Our best partner is Dedenne. Nah, just kidding, it seems to me that a fellow Fighting-type would make a great partner because of Scraggy's ability to beat Psychics and Ghosts. Unfortunately, we have very few of them, and they would likely share Scraggy's vulnerability to Flying- and Fairy-types.

Might I suggest Calm Mind Musharna? It's got the bulk to deal with practically everything on the list, and it appreciates Scraggy's ability to beat Darks, Psychics and Ghosts that it can, occasionally, have trouble with. But honestly, Musharna has so few flaws that there's very little reason not to use it on any team.

Hitmonlee

Ability: Reckless
Item: Wide Lens

Knock Off
Stone Edge
Hi-Jump Kick
Close Combat

252 Attack
252 Speed
4 Defense

Used as an all around bait for Dark and Bug attacks while having the speed and attack to eliminate threats such as Mandibuzz / Murkrow or stand up to U-Turn Scizor or Vespiquen. Knock Off ensures damage recovery cancel on walls

Good luck

Hitmonlee

Ability: Reckless
Item: Wide Lens

Knock Off
Stone Edge
Hi-Jump Kick
Close Combat

252 Attack
252 Speed
4 Defense

Used as an all around bait for Dark and Bug attacks while having the speed and attack to eliminate threats such as Mandibuzz / Murkrow or stand up to U-Turn Scizor or Vespiquen. Knock Off ensures damage recovery cancel on walls

Good luck
Err, wrong thread? Hitmonlee is not PU, nor is Mandibuzz, or Scizor...

One mon I think could support Scraggy well is offensive Garbodor.

Pros:
- Resists Fighting and Fairy
- Hits Fairies especially hard, Fighters don't like facing it much either
- Lures in Psychics for Scraggy to set up on
- Can set Spikes too

Cons:
- Mime breaks the core pretty badly
- Garbodor isn't weak to Flying but still doesn't like facing most of the specially offensive birds in the tier

While we'll definitely need a third team member to compensate for these weaknesses, having something that can reliably take on Fairies is huge for Scraggy, and Garbodor is just a solid mon all-around.

One mon I think could support Scraggy well is offensive Garbodor.

Pros:
- Resists Fighting and Fairy
- Hits Fairies especially hard, Fighters don't like facing it much either
- Lures in Psychics for Scraggy to set up on
- Can set Spikes too

Cons:
- Mime breaks the core pretty badly
- Garbodor isn't weak to Flying but still doesn't like facing most of the specially offensive birds in the tier

While we'll definitely need a third team member to compensate for these weaknesses, having something that can reliably take on Fairies is huge for Scraggy, and Garbodor is just a solid mon all-around.
I cannot disagree with Garbodor being a great option. Not only does it have great synergy as it can come in on mons that severely threaten Scraggy (scyther, fight-mons etc), but it can also rack up residual damage which can increase scraggy's effective damage output. scraggy can also set up on weaker hitting eq mons that beat garbodor, so this seems like a good pick.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's about time I posted in this thread. I feel like we should decide on the direction of our team before we go any further.

Is this a balanced, offensive, or defensive/stall team?
As our focus will mostly be to build around Scraggy, I believe balanced is the way to go. This Scraggy set takes a few turns to get going so it's a bit slow for pure offense teams, while it doesn't really provide much defensive synergy and utility for stall oriented teams. My favorite balanced team build generally consists of: a solid defensive and support core, a solid offensive core, and some general utility mons (revenge killers mostly). The hardest thing about balanced teams is trying to fit what both offensive and defensive teams require into as few team slots as possible.

Right now, I will suggest an possible offensive compliment to Scraggy. Scraggy generally has problems getting past these Pokemon before they get through it: Poliwrath, Throh, Togetic, Pelipper, Coil Arbok, BU Gogoat. This does not account for all the Pokemon that THREATEN Scraggy, just the higher ranking ones that Scraggy can't significantly damage back. I'm noting that in order to threaten all of them, a secondary setup sweeper looks necessary. I really like Fizz's suggestion of CM Musharna, as it can deal with all of these Pokemon pretty well while still acting as a utlity pivot/cleric. Fizz can you post the set you are recommending, as there are many variations for the last move specifically.

But in order to provide more options, here's another possible Pokemon:

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Roost

This is more of an offensive teammate, so don't expect to tank hits from too many of the aforementioned threats. On the plus side, Scyther's good Speed and power allows it to threaten a good portion of the metagame even without a boost. It threatens all of the Pokemon that Scraggy has trouble break through. Knock Off is just generally a crippling move that every team should consider using, and gives Scyther more utility, creating a nice Knock Off core with Scraggy.

Now this is just my thought process, but I would like to hear everyone else's, especially the PU Council's. One of the goals of CCAT is to allow newer players to see how more experienced players think during the teambuilding process. It's a great way for all PU players, new and old, to learn together. So let's remember to think about these questions when participating in this CCAT, and when starting a team in general:

1. What kind of playstyle will this team be?
2. What will be the main win condition or centerpiece of the team?
3. If it is an offensive Pokemon/team, what does it threaten, what threatens it, and what does it need to successfully sweep most of the time?
4. If it is a defensive Pokemon/team, what does it handle, what can it not handle,and what utility does it provide?

Last edited:
It's about time I posted in this thread. I feel like we should decide on the direction of our team before we go any further.

Is this a balanced, offensive, or defensive/stall team?
As our focus will mostly be to build around Scraggy, I believe balanced is the way to go. This Scraggy set takes a few turns to get going so it's a bit slow for pure offense teams, while it doesn't really provide much defensive synergy and utility for stall oriented teams. My favorite balanced team build generally consists of: a solid defensive and support core, a solid offensive core, and some general utility mons (revenge killers mostly). The hardest thing about balanced teams is trying to fit what both offensive and defensive teams require into as few team slots as possible.

Right now, I will suggest an possible offensive compliment to Scraggy. Scraggy generally has problems getting past these Pokemon before they get through it: Poliwrath, Throh, Togetic, Pelipper, Coil Arbok, BU Gogoat. This does not account for all the Pokemon that THREATEN Scraggy, just the higher ranking ones that Scraggy can't significantly damage back. I'm noting that in order to threaten all of them, a secondary setup sweeper looks necessary. I really like Fizz's suggestion of CM Musharna, as it can deal with all of these Pokemon pretty well while still acting as a utlity pivot/cleric. Fizz can you post the set you are recommending, as there are many variations for the last move specifically.

But in order to provide more options, here's another possible Pokemon:

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Roost

This is more of an offensive teammate, so don't expect to tank hits from too many of the aforementioned threats. On the plus side, Scyther's good Speed and power allows it to threaten a good portion of the metagame even without a boost. It threatens all of the Pokemon that Scraggy has trouble break through. Knock Off is just generally a crippling move that every team should consider using, and gives Scyther more utility, creating a nice Knock Off core with Scraggy.

Now this is just my thought process, but I would like to hear everyone else's, especially the PU Council's. One of the goals of CCAT is to allow newer players to see how more experienced players think during the teambuilding process. It's a great way for all PU players, new and old, to learn together. So let's remember to think about these questions when participating in this CCAT, and when starting a team in general:

1. What kind of playstyle will this team be?
2. What will be the main win condition or centerpiece of the team?
3. If it is an offensive Pokemon/team, what does it threaten, what threatens it, and what does it need to successfully sweep most of the time?
4. If it is a defensive Pokemon/team, what does it handle, what can it not handle,and what utility does it provide?
If Adrian Marin has any say in type of team, we all know it's going to be stall. Then again, scraggy =/= stall.

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell / Baton Pass

WhiteDMist, the set I was thinking of is something like this. I wouldn't use Signal Beam personally, because some of the best Psychics and Darks in the tier right now, such as Mr. Mime and Scraggy (who's one of the best Dark-types we've got), are hit neutrally by it, while using Mush as a mono-attacker allows us to leave the Psychics and Darks to Scraggy. Baton Pass would be great for pivoting (dry-passing) to Scraggy as Psychics and Darks switch in, but Heal Bell is just so useful to any balanced or defensive team, and it allows us to remove sleep when Shed Skin doesn't activate. It's also great in conjunction with Synchronize, allowing you to switch into a predicted Toxic or Thunder Wave, status the opponent, and heal off your status the next turn. So my vote goes to Heal Bell. As for the rest of the team, I agree that balanced is the way to go. I'm all in favor of Scyther as a teammate. He's such an underrated threat, and some of the few things he has trouble with, such as Avalugg, are dealt with perfectly by Musharna.

Klang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Klang is a really bulky pokemon with eviolite and sp def investment, and can switch in on resisted fairy and flying type moves and set up or force them out. Unfortunately, it shares scraggy's weakness to fighting and being phased out. I definitely agree with sd scyther as a good partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)