PU CCAT V2 (Round 6 Voting Stage)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Manofmany

some pokes mentioned you dont really build a team around, they just fit nicely in a team, and also dont use slashes for this

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Raiza. wins this round, so we will be building around Swords Dance Leafeon! Thank you all for submitting and voting. Nominations for our second team member are now open.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Piloswine seems alright in the second slot of the team, it can fit in different playstyles so it keeps doors open for next slots. First of all Piloswine provides Stealth Rock support to Leafeon, which is appreciated to gain precious KOs on the foes other than a great typing synergy, as it is able to tank Ice-type coverage and a few Fire-type moves too with ease, still being able to answer hard thanks to its high attack and STAB Earthquake / Icicle Spear. Piloswine, thanks to priority Ice Shard, can also finish off or weaken Pokemon which Leafeon struggles with, to help its job. Leafeon in exchange can deal with Water-types with ease and set up on some bulky Grass-types Pokemon such as Gourgeist-super, which trouble Piloswine. Piloswine also gives the team a electric immunity, useful against Pokemon such as scarf Rotom-F that can gain momentum coming in revengekill against Leafeon.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

Most of the Pokemon that stop Leafeon happen to be Fire- and Flying-types (Ninetales, Rapidash, Dodrio, etc), and Carracosta sets up all over them (or revenge kills Ninetales). Carracosta also weakens bulky Grass-types such as Tangela so Leafeon can OHKO instead of 2HKO them later, and adds a second wincondition. Most of the Pokemon that stop Carracosta from sweeping are bulky Water-types such as Poliwrath, Choice Scarf users, and Grass-types. Leafeon sets up on most bulky Water-types in PU, Choice Scarf users locked into an Electric or Grass move, and some Grass-types which can be weakened by Leafeon. Seems like a good offensive teammate. :0

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Volbeat_BW.gif

Volbeat (M) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sunny Day
- Thunder Wave
- Encore
- U-turn

Leafeon in the sun outspeeds all relevant pokemon, even when they have a scarf. Because of this, Volbeat should be considered to help out Leafeon by adding some nice Sunny Day action. Thunder Wave to slow down the opponent so Leafeon can outspeed them when the sun is down, and Encore to buy Leafeon a turn to switch in while also clogging up setup pokemon that could cause problems. The slow U-Turn is also handy for switch priority and possibly some chip damage. The main thing I'm suggesting here is to make this team a Sun team with Leafeon as the main sweeper and Volbeat here being primary support.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Kingler @ Life Orb
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Kingler is what I see as an underated and deadly Pokemon in the PU Metagame. As stated above by GrimoireGod Leafeon's main stops are Fire and Flying type Pokemon. Agility Kingler allows you to make a powerful Pokemon extremely fast and paired with a powerful STAB and movepool. If Kingler can get a boost up, it paired with leafeon, can form an efficient and powerful core of pure destruction. Kingler easily can fend for itself, but it and Leafeon do well to take on each other's checks.

Last edited:

TONE

is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Simipour @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Low Kick

Gonna throw my hat in this. As previously mentioned, Leafeon has trouble with Flying and Fire-types, so Simipour would make a solid partner as a wallbreaker would make it easier for Leafeon to come in and clean up later on.

TONE

Alright it's been over a week now, so imma move this to the voting stage. Voting ends on Sunday.

not really a fan of how we're locking ourselves into double setup w/ grimoire's choice

raiza.

edit- could've just made it defensive then and costa can be suggested later, just not fan of voting with the rationale that it could POTENTIALLY change to a different set; we are building the team around this and further changes may or may not be able to compensate that :(

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
not really a fan of how we're locking ourselves into double setup w/ grimoire's choice

raiza.
Unless the rules have changed since last CCAT, the sets aren't set in stone. I feel like double setup isn't awful as leaf+costa core is quite good, but we could change it to defensive at a later stage.

TONE

Alright, Raiza. wins again, so Piloswine is our second teammate. Nominations for Round 3 is now open.

Our team so far:

Leafeon @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Iron Tail

Piloswine @Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

GG
Vigoroth @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 248 HP / 176 SpD / 84 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Slack Off
- Facade / Return

Stealing this from Good Cores thread, but I just found this to could possibily work really well with the actual team members we have there. Specially Defensive Vigoroth makes for a good partner of Leafeon, as it can handle most of its checks and counters thanks to Eviolite and access to a reliable recovery in Slack Off, still not being a sitting duck thanks to Bulk Up. Taunt along with decent Speed allows Vigoroth to outspeed common walls, making easier the job for Leafeon, and entry hazard setters, so a spinner or defog user aren't necessarily needed. Vital Spirit instead makes the team evade ugly situations against Jumpluff, who seeing Vigoroth will prefer most of the time to go for Acrobatics, therefore creating more opportunities to Piloswine to switch in without risking a Sleep Powder. This also keeps doors open for a LOT of options regarding the last 3 spots.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So, between these two Pokemon we are very weak to Ninetales at the moment. While its not easy to fit a full counter to it on offensive teams as they tend to kill momentum (lickilicky, munchlax, probo, zweilous), its important to have an offensive check to it.

Simipour @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid / Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Taunt / Low Kick

Simipour acts as a soft offensive Ninetales check as it can switch in on any move bar Energy Ball and KO back. Obviously, it would be preferred to just be a revenge killer since you dont want offensive Pokemon taking tons of damage, but hey. Simipour also appreciates Piloswine's ability to check Electric-types, but stacking a Grass weakness is somewhat problematic albeit Piloswine's Ice STAB. From a general standpoint, wallbreaker + setup sweeper generally works pretty well, and wallbreaker Simipour fits that pretty well here. The set is pretty standard afaik, Taunt to help out with preventing hazards from the likes of whirlipede / venipede (heard this is viable too) and Low Kick is just for Lickilicky.

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
So I looked at this thread and I only saw 2 options, so I'm going to add a 3rd option for light consideration.
Flareon_BW.gif

Flareon @ Choice Band/Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Quick Attack
- Baton Pass

For our 3rd addition to the team I think we need something that can help make the Leafeon sweep happen more efficiently, and Flareon has some handy tools to make the dream come true.

In my opinion, the biggest thing that makes Flareon an attractive addition to this team is the dry and 'slow' Baton Pass. Flareon will draw in bulky Water, Rock, and Ground types that will more-often-than-not be physically-oriented, so we can use this fact to Baton Pass on the switch and bring Leafeon in on some setup fodder. Switch priority is also a generally handy thing to have, since we do not have a dedicated pivot that can heal itself.

Beyond the dry and slowish Baton Pass, Flareon still has some cool toys to play with. Flare Blitz HURTS off of this set (especially with the Flash Fire bonus) and will soften the opponent's bulky pivots or walls that could stop Leafeon nicely if not outright kill them, giving your opponent a much harder time stopping a Leafeon sweep later. Superpower gives great coverage and can be used if it isn't quite time to bring in Leafeon. Quick Attack is also handy on this team because we are still open to being revenge killed, especially if Piloswine goes down.

The Fire typing and Flash Fire gives us a nice immunity to Will-O-Wisp and adds another redundant layer to the defensive synergy that Piloswine already had going and the Fire STAB gives us great offensive synergy with the Grass, Ice, and Ground STAB we already have. As a final note, Flareon can also be used as a soft check to Ninetales - who is most definitely a problem at the moment - since it has moved away from using Psyshock in favor of Substitute or Dark Pulse.

Overall, I think Flareon is at least worth a thought or 2. This is a long post, but as we get further into teambuilding I feel the need to justify additions more.

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Floatzel @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Floatzel is a monster on it's own with it's speed only rivaled by Zebstrika and Scarf Pokemon. Floatzel can also dish out a very good hit against opposing Pokemon and works well with the two above pokemon. While Simipour may be unrivaled in the Metagame, I feel that Floatzel would be better to outspeed the likes of Raichu, Shell Smash Carracosta, Jumpluff, and Kadabra which can all be sizable threats against the team we have built so far. Floatzel also preforms the role of killing Ninetails as well as other fire types. Although Floatzel cannot handle Lickilicky or SpD mons as easily as Simipour can with Taunt/Low Kick, it still is worth it to get that extra speed to assist with the team.

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

Probo checks Tales and traps pawniard e_z both of which this team kinda struggle with?????
also twave provides support against some threats that might come in on, say, flash cannon (simipour etc.) we already have SR covered so

also TONE114 plz remove slashes from leafeon's set lol, iron tail shud be last slot imo

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Golduck @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA/ 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Golduck is a nice end-game sweeper that is virtually unspeedable after it has set up a rain dance. It also has very good coverage in this tier.

Golduck fits on this team because it takes advantage of the holes made by Leafeon and Piloswine to secure a sweep. Leafeon wears down pokemon such as Tangela, Roselia, and Togetic with knock off, putting them in the KO range of Golduck's ice beam. Piloswine wears down Poliwrath switch-ins with earthquake, putting it in the KO range of Golduck's psychic.

If we include Golduck it would be nice to include a pokemon that can switch-in and revenge kill Ninetales, because all of our pokemon are wrecked by a +2 Ninetales, as well as something to spread will-o-wisp to give Golduck opportunities to set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)