Sports Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread

One thing I do hope they do is let the winners breathe with the case. One of the main reasons MiTB doesn't feel as significant anymore is that it's cashed almost immediately. Edge, Ziggler and Seth's Cash-Ins we're memorable because they waited for their moment to strike as opposed to blowing it off quickly.
Counterpoint: Austin Theory - he held it for a while and had a terrible run w/ it and an even worse FAILED cash-in
But I do agree that I don't want an immediate cash-in for either MITB - especially the women's because they almost always do it!

Hello there once again! Got a little piece for you all today or one could even say a harmony! A brutal chop filled harmony! Earlier this week it was announced that Riddle would be facing off against Gunther for the Intercontinental Championship at Money in the Bank this Saturday in London. As a result I was inspired to do a piece covering the history of these two individuals regarding their singles matches against each other! I was highly considering doing the multiman matches that weren't tag team matches which would've included a triple threat involving Timothy Thatcher at PROGRESS Chapter 55 and a Fatal 4 Way from an EVOLVE show involving Tracy Williams and Keith Lee. These may be reviewed in due time but for this specific piece we're going to solely cover the singles matches! Cagematch notes 5 singles matches between the two on their matchguide so for this we're going to be reviewing those 5 (There is a match in wXw on a Shotgun show from March 4th 2017 my apologies we're not covering those not on the Cagematch guide for now) starting with the oldest and moving chronologically.

Starting with...
1688098096785.png

Matt Riddle vs WALTER wXw 16 Carat Gold 2017 Semi-Finals - ***¾
I would not be surprised if this is the lowest rated match on this list of matches (writing this after watching the final one that is not the case). That speaks volumes to these two guys in terms of their chemistry and how well they work together. My biggest nitpick however when it comes to this particular Riddle/WALTER match was the lack of selling on Riddle's right foot/leg. WALTER spent a good portion of this match working the right leg after a striking exchange with WALTER using his devastating chops and Riddle using his quite powerful kicks to the body. WALTER's work on the right leg was quite good and consistent throughout the match with every move done to that leg looking devastating. This portion of work culminated in an Ankle Lock spot towards the end of the match but was not the finish. Riddle did his best here with all his offense looking good but in the end WALTER nailed him with a Powerbomb to snuff out any chances of making the finals. This would then lead WALTER into the main event against Ilja Dragunov where he chopped his chest into oblivion but that's a whole different match and story for another time! Regardless this match was pretty good but the lack of selling from Riddle unfortunately prevents it from climbing into 4 star territory.

Up next is...
1688100108294.png

Matt Riddle (c) vs WALTER PROGRESS Chapter 46 - ****¼
At stake in this one is Matt Riddle's PROGRESS Atlas Championship. The PROGRESS Atlas Championship for those who never watched PROGRESS is also known as the big boys championship. Set for guys over the weight of 200 pounds this championship has a history for being big boys beef and quite frankly having some barnburners at that. Commentary also summarises this perfectly with the 3 words: "Big Lads Wrestling". Tends to be the strong style title for this promotion very similarly to the NEVER Openweight Championship in New Japan so just think of it like that in terms of the style of match. Regardless this is a rematch from 16 Carat but this time for Riddle's championship and on Riddle's hometurf compared to WALTER's. This matchup compared to their first matchup has quite the difference in how its worked. There are very similar if not some of the same elements of the first match (the leg work in this case included along with spots like the Powerbomb into Guillotine Choke reversal etc.) but this match is also executed better in my personal opinion. I didn't touch much upon this in the first contest but the intensity of the strikes here got upped. We started out with Riddle using his kicks vs WALTER's chops (very well established by the commentary team stating the way WALTER left Ilja Dragunov's chest at 16 Carat Gold finals was disgusting like raw meat) and then as the match went on proceeded into full chops vs chops which was much welcome because if you heard the chops in this match, each one felt like a loud reverberating cannon shot had gone off. The most "jeez" reaction of the match for me however came from a leg kick/leg sweep from WALTER which sounded like he actually decapitated Riddle's leg and it not only drew the reaction of the crowd but a reaction from me too! Quite frankly though, a very entertaining contest to watch. Small nitpicks of Riddle's selling again but actually he sold his leg more than the last match so its improvement! Unlike the last match however, WALTER hits the Powerbomb and Riddle manages to kick out! Match proceeds to end after WALTER swings and misses which allows Riddle to jump on his back, get him down to the ground with the Bromission applied and chopping his chest before WALTER taps!

And I'd be wrong to leave out my favourite commentary call of the match: "They're just slapping the piss out of each other". God I love British commentary and British wrestling in that regard. British crowds are unmatched and British commentary can just be even better at times.

Our third encounter between these two comes at...
1688168688734.png

Matt Riddle (c) vs WALTER PROGRESS Chapter 51 - *****
Like the Chapter 46 match that precedes this, this match was once again for Riddle's Atlas Championship. I won't give a long summary about the Atlas Championship itself as I gave that in the previous match review but this rematch came about after WALTER defeated Mike Bird in a No.1 Contender's Match on PROGRESS' card in Cologne, Germany just over a week prior to this rematch taking place. There's just something that hits different about WALTER's original theme of Dvorak's Symphony No.9 IV. It just fits the perfect final boss energy for him and I just love every second of it. I tend to find I never really throw out the 5 star rating too much but this in my personal opinion is actually better than when i first watched it at its original time. The best way I could describe this match is pure violence. They ditched the formula of the first two contests where WALTER would work Riddle's right leg and just jumped straight into the meat of the action. Chops and more chops and every single one of them had power and a loud noise that would echo throughout the arena. The crowd for this were hot from the get go with duelling "Let's go Riddle" "Let's go WALTER" chants and throughout this whole match were loud. There was a spot at the start that looked a bit weird cause it looked like WALTER was aiming for a Shotgun Dropkick or something but surprisingly managed to save it by turning it into a Bicycle Kick (incredible balance too for a guy that big). Regardless, the action never stopped or slowed down for a second with both Riddle and WALTER pulling out all the stops for this championship. WALTER manages to take home the win in this one after back to back Powerbombs followed up by the Gojira Clutch Sleeper with the body scissors forcing Riddle to tap out. The best way I can summarise this match for you is: if you cant handle loud chops that might make you wince and make matches hard to watch, this probably wont be the match for you but if you enjoy pure strong style and pure violence at its finest, this is a fantastic example of what you'll be looking for.

Following that absolute barnburner of a contest we have this next bout between the two...
1688174018665.png

Matt Riddle vs WALTER (c) PROGRESS New York City - ****½
This one was for WALTER's Atlas Championship. This one caps off the PROGRESS trilogy of singles matches between these two men and I must say: watching these two engage in spectacles of brutality and destruction has been quite nostalgic from when I first watched these 3 contests but also a treat right before Money in the Bank. This time however compared to the other contests being in Germany and England: WALTER and Riddle take their brutal contest to New York City as the main event of this PROGRESS show! These two constantly manage to evolve their offense in order to make these matches feel different than their other ones. This could be controversial but also possibly not at the same time I believe that WALTER brings out the best in Riddle when it comes to match quality. These two have incredible chemistry and it goes to show across these matches. The chops as per usual were as brutal as they get with each one having quite the impact. The New York crowd were all into this match and it sure added to it albeit I don't think this crowd was as good as the one in the Birmingham match. They decided to put the championship back on Riddle with this match which considering what the Atlas match for Chapter 55 was at the time made sense with Riddle going up against WALTER's Ringkampf team member Timothy Thatcher but WALTER would later be added into the match making for the triple threat that we will unfortunately not be reviewing. I think WALTER could've had longer with the championship with his only defense being against Fred Yehi on an EVOLVE show but he'd later get the run he deserved. I would say this was the second best match of the PROGRESS Atlas Championship Trilogy but they all were fantastic to watch from a brutality standpoint.

Finally in our last of the WALTER vs Riddle matches we have this one... (which unfortunately does not have a match graphic like the other 4 before it)
1688177482097.png

Matt Riddle vs WALTER EVOLVE 97 - ***½
The final encounter between the two before both men set off to WWE and NXT UK respectively. Before this match starts, Riddle suggests the idea of no rope breaks in this match. WALTER agrees and now we've got ourselves a unique stipulation in a match between these two with no rope breaks being allowed which is notable due to both men having beaten each other by submission in the past (Riddle with the Bromission and WALTER with the Gojira Clutch respectively). As a result of this rule, this one starts off with a much more technical approach compared to the other 4 matchups reviewed. Doesn't take long however to move into Riddle/WALTER's speciality of brutalising each other. Random thing to note in this one but EVOLVE's commentator Lenny Leonard who was also on commentary for the encounter these two had in New York where Riddle took the Atlas Championship back is very informed on this rivalry going back to PROGRESS Chapter 46. Just goes to show how notable these matches are and even were back then. These two do however work a very good match but unfortunately I would say in my personal opinion that this is the weakest contest between the two men. They play some classic hits with some brutal chops and all but what this one lacks for me is the desperation, the level of intensity and the magic that the PROGRESS trilogy had. Good match which ends after Riddle just beats WALTER down in the ropes and being unable to defend himself due to a lack of rope breaks forces the ref to stop the match and award Riddle the win.

I'd like to just sum up this review by stating all in all: this was a blast to do. Absolutely loved going through these and it reminded me of my passion for watching wrestling. Will I do one of these again? Possibly I would just have to figure out what to do it for and if I'm feeling it. For now however just know that this will not be the last review I do (yes I know certain individuals will ask me where's Royal Rumble 2006 I will think about it) and there will be more in the future. Hopefully you all enjoy Money in the Bank and here's to putting on some barnburners!

LA Knight didn't win but IYO SKY DID!!!

Other than the two ladder matches, the show felt kinda mid to me. Gunther/Riddle and Rollins/Balor were too short and didn't reach the heights that they could've with more time. Shayna betraying Ronda mid-match made zero sense at all. Cody/Dom was whatever - at least Cody won but I was a little surprised Brock didn't show up. Cena gassing up the crowd for a possible WrestleMania in London was cool and hopefully WWE actually does it because the atmosphere would be incredible. The main event was a bit too epic if that makes sense. Great moment for the Usos though and the Bloodline cinema gets even more intriguing.

tendokiddo

Banned deucer.
Reviving this because we have some new news.
Good news: We may get a new WWE superstar. I forgot his name, but I DO know that he's from AEW. We also have a chance of Roman losing his belt to the REAL Tribal Chief, Jey Uso.
Bad News: I hear that Seth Rollins needs surgery? And Cody Rhodes is now injured again. This feud with Lesnar and Rhodes will be going on for years.
Downright Ugly News: The dreaded X sign appeared in a match with Iyo Sky and Charlotte Flair, when Asuka came to interrupt the match by lock-holding Charlotte. I hope she's alright, but we might not be seeing her anymore for a bit. I don't have any images for you, sadly.

Last edited:
Good news: We may get a new WWE superstar. I forgot his name, but I DO know that he's from AEW.
Brian Pillman Jr. - probably will go through the Performance Center and NXT before we ever see him on Raw or SD. Never really lived up to the potential of his namesake and if he can't become good in this environment he's probably finished.

Bad News: I hear that Seth Rollins needs surgery? And Cody Rhodes is now injured again.
Seth said he's been working through back and knee injuries for months now (since around Mania) that he probably should've got surgery for but was able to work through with the help of stem cell treatments. I'd say he should take a break soon to get that all taken care of. Also, Cody's injury is just kayfabe if you're referring to his "broken arm".

Downright Ugly News: The dreaded X sign appeared in a match with Iyo Sky and Charlotte Flair, when Asuka came to interrupt the match by lock-holding Charlotte. I hope she's alright, but we might not be seeing her anymore for a bit. I don't have any images for you, sadly.
???????????????? The ref wasn't throwing up the X-sign. He was just waving his arms to get Asuka to get off of Charlotte. Unless you've conflated this with the recent injury scare Bayley had at a live event last week.

tendokiddo

Banned deucer.
Brian Pillman Jr. - probably will go through the Performance Center and NXT before we ever see him on Raw or SD. Never really lived up to the potential of his namesake and if he can't become good in this environment he's probably finished.

Seth said he's been working through back and knee injuries for months now (since around Mania) that he probably should've got surgery for but was able to work through with the help of stem cell treatments. I'd say he should take a break soon to get that all taken care of. Also, Cody's injury is just kayfabe if you're referring to his "broken arm".

???????????????? The ref wasn't throwing up the X-sign. He was just waving his arms to get Asuka to get off of Charlotte. Unless you've conflated this with the recent injury scare Bayley had at a live event last week.
I did conflate it. Also thanks for the name of the former AEW star. (Also I was talking about a more recent injury of Cody, which was when he got attacked with a chair by Lesnar. But you could be right about it being kayfabe)

HIKARU SHIDA IS THE NEW AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPION!!!!

She definitely deserves this since her entire first reign happened in front of little to no fans during the pandemic - plus she's one of the best wrestlers on the entire roster male or female.

Greetings ladies and gentlemen! I'm back at it again today with another review! This time given how we have SummerSlam on August 5th (most likely the day of this post) I figured it would only be appropriate if I did a SummerSlam review! The year we've chosen is...
1691196067944.png

SummerSlam 2013!

Now this show has a plethora of interesting matches with the most notable two on this show being the main event of Daniel Bryan vs John Cena for the WWE Championship along with I would argue this to be a dream match between Brock Lesnar and CM Punk. EVERY match on this show will rated and reviewed which includes our first match coming courtesy of the pre-show being...
Dean Ambrose (c) vs Rob Van Dam - RATING: **¾
Now this is quite the interesting match on paper. Just to note this match is for Ambrose's United States Championship. During this time period, RVD was in the middle of his return run in the WWE after I believe his first big match back being the 2013 RAW Money In The Bank Ladder match which was won by Randy Orton. Up to this point, he was just doing a bunch of matches before eventually earning this title shot in a 20 man Battle Royal on RAW apparently. Ambrose on the other hand was in the very important stable known as The Shield at this point in time with all 3 members holding championship gold. Ambrose held the United States championship whilst Reigns and Rollins held the Tag Team Championships which interestingly enough are NOT being defended on this show. This match was actually fairly fun all things considered. Crowd was hot for both RVD and Ambrose which helped with the atmosphere of this match. Some things to note early on would be how RVD actually missed a Superkick on Ambrose but Ambrose sold it anyway. This would shortly in term lead to the first false finish so to speak where RVD heads up for the Five Star Frog Splash but then The Shield's music hits and out comes Reigns and Rollins. To back up RVD, suddenly Big Show and Mark Henry come out which feels super random and makes me wonder if there was a Big Show & Mark Henry vs Roman Reigns & Seth Rollins tag title match in 2013 which after researching, apparently this was in fact a tag title match happening on the house shows at the time so there you go! We come back from commercial break to Ambrose having a sleeper applied which then eventually leads to RVD's comeback. Soon enough, we reach the end of this match where RVD after being distracted by Rollins in another attempt at the 5 Star, finally manages to hit Ambrose with it but then Reigns dives in and spears RVD leading to the DQ finish and a victory for RVD.

Before we get onto the actual matches, I was very shocked to realise that The Miz was the host of this SummerSlam?! I'm questioning if this was babyface Miz with that in mind. As Miz is announcing what's gonna open the show, out comes Fandango with Summer Rae as the crowd starts "Fandangoing". I feel like they missed the boat with Fandango given how over his song was getting. You know maybe he could've had an Intercontinental Championship reign or even a United States Championship reign (wink wink maybe he should've taken the belt off the non defending champion Dean Ambrose but I digress). And ironically the video package's song is Akira Tozawa's original theme song from the Cruiserweight Classic which by the way review coming soon to the forum! Enough with the random stuff though proceeding onwards with the wrestling on this card now we have kicking off the main show...
Bray Wyatt vs Kane Ring of Fire Match - RATING: DUD
Where do I even begin with this match? First of all, this match is opening SummerSlam and second of all this match is basically WWE's attempt at reviving a crap, PG version of their old Inferno matches that they first began in 1998 at Unforgiven with funnily enough Kane being in said match against his brother The Undertaker. Ironic that Kane is in this match as it basically gives off his type of match but essentially with a more modern take on it with a creepy/spooky character in Bray Wyatt. Speaking of Bray Wyatt, this was Bray Wyatt's first match on the main roster since being called up from NXT with fellow Wyatt Family members Luke Harper & Erick Rowan so this was basically testing the waters. To say the least, this match absolutely sucked. For an opening match of SummerSlam, I would expect better and this just wasn't it. This match was so bad that it was completely laughable. You'd get the flames increasing every time even the smallest move was hit and the heat of those flames was more heat than Bray Wyatt could even garner in this match which says a lot cause it felt like Bray's heel heat was at a vacuum level in this match. Kane laughably did several Chokeslams and signalled for the Tombstone Piledriver (loudest pop of the match by the way) which is when suddenly after several attempts of trying to enter the "Ring of Fire" or assist Bray Wyatt (such as by attempting to pass him a Kendo Stick which got set on fire slightly and then laughably put out by a firefighter at ringside with a fire extinguisher), Luke Harper & Erick Rowan who were at ringside for this match decided to throw a fire blanket onto the flames and got involved in the match DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY to keep them from interfering at all. This mercifully ended with Bray hit the Sister Abigail and put an end to this match where the best analogy of this match was how the flames were put out by the fire blanket describing how dull and boring this was to watch.

Having to follow the RING OF FIRE would be our second match...
Cody Rhodes vs Damien Sandow - RATING: **½
This match came about after Cody Rhodes was betrayed in the SmackDown Money In The Bank Ladder match when Sandow threw him off a Ladder which led to Sandow being the one to win the briefcase. Soon enough, Cody threw Sandow's case into the sea or a lake or something like that (Michael Cole thankfully stated that it was the Gulf of Mexico) which led to Sandow getting this really cool custom leather briefcase which fit his character perfectly as the "Intellectual Saviour of the Masses". Anyway Cody wanted revenge and most importantly of course as Cody Rhodes does even in modern day wrestling, wants to FINISH THE STORY! This match was pretty much better than I expected with nothing really bad from either guy. Notable highlight being Cody whipping out a Muscle Buster. Crowd was hot for it (even hotter than they were for the Ring of Fire!) and they didn't go too long either which certainly helped. Cody of course actually finished his story for this feud by hitting Sandow with Cross Rhodes to end the match.

Our third contest of the night then goes to...

Alberto Del Rio (c) vs Christian - RATING: ***½
This match is for Del Rio's World Heavyweight Championship. Christian at this point in his career was after that "One More Match" and the video package that plays here basically goes over Christian's career and how he was searching for that "ONE MORE MATCH" which he earned by beating Randy Orton and Rob Van Dam in a Triple Threat match. This match was also set not too long after Del Rio turned heel against Dolph Ziggler and took the belt from him. Del Rio also comes into this match with a black eye which was apparently caused by Christian's Killswitch on SmackDown. Also notably these two have faced off for the very same championship in a Ladder match back at Extreme Rules 2011 which Christian won. This match actually caught me off guard for how good it was. It told a story of Christian going out there and fighting, scratching and clawing to win the championship one more time and Del Rio played the ideal foil targeting the left arm of Christian for the Cross Armbreaker. Was a little bit hard watching Del Rio kick Christian in the head more due to what happens later on in their careers but this match was really solid and the crowd was most importantly alive for this match. Random note but there's this really cool looking spot where Christian attempts the Spear but Del Rio dropkicks him in the face which looked pretty brutal. However, the targeting of the left arm plays a very important factor into this match as Christian is not only selling it really well but after he hits a big Spear, he can't make the cover due to the fact he used his left arm. This allows Del Rio to pop up and apply the Cross Armbreaker before Christian can make the cover. After a valiant fight to try and escape, Christian eventually taps out. This was a shockingly good contest which I went into with lesser expectations. Not the biggest fan of Del Rio but he certainly did a good job in this one.

Before our next match, we get an interview between host The Miz and Maria Menounos. The interview then proceeds to be interrupted by Fandango's music again! Brilliant idk why this is happening but I'm all for just random Fandango moments on this show it's making me chuckle and yet this somehow gets funnier with Miz and Maria Menounos deciding to have a little dance to Fandango's music too sure why not lol. Following that however we then go into our next match which would be...

Brie Bella vs Natalya - RATING: DUD
Right this is where I make a deep dark confession to all of you reading this review: I watched Total Divas back when it first aired enough to know that this was in fact why this match was happening. Now do I remember why this match happened outside of that? Not in the slightest. The funniest thing I remember about Total Divas was John Cena being an absolute goofball in an episode where him and Nikki Bella were playing Beer Pong. Now Natalya is being accompanied by the Funkadactyls here aka Cameron and Naomi which reminds me of how Naomi used to be a valet for Brodus Clay and the Funkasaurus. Boy how times have changed past this show. Meanwhile Brie is being accompanied by Nikki and Eva Marie. They also mention JoJo who opened this show by singing the national anthem. You can tell this match is purely here for the sake of promoting Total Divas given commentary talks about it 50 billion times like we get it man. If you're reading this review, please just watch a single episode of Total Divas just to shut Michael Cole up. The crowd did not care for this match at all considering they were chanting more for the commentary team. This match had longer rest holds it felt like than an actual match which is probably the best way to describe a WWE Women's match on the main roster pre WrestleMania 32. The Ring of Fire match was bad in one way. This was bad in a completely different way. You also wouldn't think that the very next year that Brie Bella would once again be in a match on Summerslam Natalya mercifully ended this after making Brie tap to the Sharpshooter.

We now get a random Ryback segment with cold soup and just bullying this random guy. Moving on we now have one of our biggest matches of the night up next...
1691257378636.png

Brock Lesnar vs CM Punk No Disqualification Match - RATING: ****½
Now when I was first looking for a SummerSlam to review, this match stuck out to me as one of the biggest appeals to this show. Billed as "The Best vs. The Beast" this match was very promising and a dream match on paper. The story going into this was CM Punk was betrayed by Paul Heyman at Money In The Bank after getting a Ladder thrown into him. This led to Punk wanting revenge on Heyman and as a result had to go through his client Brock Lesnar who wasn't long since coming off a very lukewarm feud against Triple H at this period in time with his last contest defeating Triple H in a Steel Cage match at Extreme Rules. If not for the main event on this show being the WWE Championship match between Daniel Bryan and John Cena, I very much believe that this would be the main event of SummerSlam. This in my personal opinion was also probably the best built match on the show week to week. To go through this match spot by spot would take too long. This match in my eyes is probably one of the greatest matches in SummerSlam history. The type of match that would make a top 10 without question it just personified the violence and the brutality that you would hope to see in a Brock Lesnar match but also keeping someone like CM Punk looking strong and credible which is quite rare in modern Brock Lesnar matches due to how the very next year the structure of his matches began to change with the inception of Suplex City. This Brock Lesnar would just brutally throw around CM Punk during this match and not a single German Suplex used to do so. Every move Brock did was with purpose and to brutalise his opponent with some very notable inclusions being a very good running Powerbomb, constantly launching Punk with throws including across the Spanish Announce Table and a double stomp onto the Announce Table cover which was draped over Punk's back which actually looked very painful. Punk looked like a star in this match with him being able to hold his own against Lesnar and even got some really close near falls which if not for the interference of Paul Heyman, could potentially have defeated Brock Lesnar. Punk focused too much on Heyman in this one however and it ultimately led to his downfall as Brock ended up hitting Punk with a chair several times before nailing him with an F5 on said chair to pick up the victory. This match was just beautifully executed and neither man lost anything in victory nor in defeat. This is the type of match that elevates both men and just goes to show that Brock Lesnar could still go at a very high level in 2013. We need more matches like this on SummerSlam cards to make them shine but most importantly: this lived up to its billing.

Now I hear you ask, how do you follow "The Best vs The Beast"? Well you follow it with this!

AJ Lee & Big E Langston vs Dolph Ziggler & Kaitlyn - RATING: **
The buildup to this match happens to come from Dolph no longer needing AJ Lee I believe and this led to her turning on him along with her special enforcer Big E Langston. I believe Kaitlyn's involvement in this match comes from feuding with AJ Lee over the Divas Championship that AJ currently holds at this point in her career after beating Kaitlyn who was the former champion. I also want to say that Big E was Kaitlyn's secret admirer or something? This might've been at this point in the story or later on but I'm uncertain (which it turns out after researching that I was right to assume this had happened already as this was just before Kaitlyn lost the Divas Championship to AJ Lee). Hilariously enough this match is sponsored by Doritos Jacked Bold with a fan that's wearing one of their shirts sitting in the front of the commentary desk. Random but sure nice little cool thing for a group of fans just to get to sit directly in front of everybody for this match. Big E at this point by the way not too long since came up from NXT himself considering he has the theme "3 Ain't Enough I Need 5" which makes me wish they did the 5 count gimmick on the main roster but alas! The best thing I could say about this match is simply that it existed. There was nothing really too standout from it but there was nothing really bad about it either. It was just a match that happened that realistically could've been on an episode of RAW or SmackDown but instead was put here on PPV to follow on after the Lesnar/Punk match. Nothing really much to say other than that with this mixed tag ending after Kaitlyn speared AJ on the floor whilst Ziggler hit Big E with the Zig Zag in the ring to pick up the pinfall.

And of course it wouldn't be this show if we didn't have our host The Miz attempting to run down the show but of course ONCE AGAIN is interrupted by Fandango. This time however Miz decides to hit Fandango in the face and be done with this segment. In our eighth and final match of this show, our main event is!
Screenshot 2023-08-05 20.02.37.png

Daniel Bryan vs John Cena (c) (Special Guest Referee: Triple H) - RATING: ****¼
This match was for Cena's WWE Championship. Coming into this match, Cena had just won the championship about 4 months prior at WrestleMania 29 against The Rock in Twice in a Lifetime. In that time period, he had a two PPV long feud against Ryback which he won along with a championship defense against Mark Henry (with the iconic Salmon jacket and retirement speech). Daniel Bryan was coming off Team Hell No and being a former tag team champion with Kane before losing the tag championships at Extreme Rules against Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins of The Shield. Cena had the option to select his opponent for SummerSlam and made the choice of Bryan being his opponent. This led to segments between Bryan and Vince McMahon talking about his image and wanting to mold him more to a corporate standard. That of course didn't happen and just as Vince was about to name Brad Maddox the special referee for this match, his son in law Triple H decided to come out, Pedigree Maddox and make himself the referee for this match. The video package for this match was also really good and just highlighted how big this match actually was. The match itself was quite great actually with the build being a very big fight feel to it. Cena brought out the best he could considering he was coming into this match with an elbow injury so put on quite the hell of a performance despite that but Bryan was the real star of the show in this match. Everything he did looked really good and really added to the match especially with smooth counters at certain points in this match including a smooth transition from the STF to the Yes Lock and that's just one of many spots in this match that were really good. The crowd was fully into this match and bonus points for the fact that we had no special guest referee shenanigans like WWE tends to pull with fast counts and biases towards certain superstars etc. All in all, this was just a big fight feel main event that lived up to what you would hope that it could be and the result was even more satisfying with Bryan getting a clean victory over Cena with the Running Knee. Clean as a whistle and I would highly recommend you check this one out if you have the time.

Of course we can't just end the show on an amazing high of a Daniel Bryan WWE Title victory cause Randy Orton decides to come out and tease a cash-in of his Money In The Bank briefcase. Bryan's ready for the fight and Orton's ready to walk away until... Triple H that dastardly special guest ref turns Bryan around and hits him with the Pedigree! Orton then turns back around and goes into the ring, cashes in his briefcase, pins Bryan and Triple H counts the 3 leading to a new champion. This would of course be the start of The Authority era which would eventually lead to Daniel Bryan's moment at WrestleMania 30.

And that's all for this Summerslam 2013 review folks! This was a fun review despite some of the crap on this show. Next review should be more than likely the Cruiserweight Classic which will be coming in round instalments so keep your eyes peeled for that and until next time!

Last edited:
Jimmy betraying his brother felt like one of the most "meh, why?" moments in an overall for the most part great Bloodline story.
why not just have a miscue where Jimmy costs Jey and Roman/Paul tries to play with Jey's head saying it was all out of jealousy to try and cause a rift between them then eventually lead to (Even if you want Jimmy vs Jey at Payback) them showing Roman can't break that twin bond and fending off him and Solo?
This could also help lead to Solo seeing Roman for what he's been since they've shown more signs recently of Solo growing annoyed with Roman/Heyman/etc.

What I imagine is that Jey and Jimmy fight at Payback, then Roman comes out to return the favor (Even though Roman's reaction when he seen Jey get hurt by his brother) by Solo doing his dirty work, then, with Waller mentioning The Rock, the Rock comes out to help Jey, and then, Rock gets his final storyline trying to end The Bloodline, which he does at the end. Then The Rock goes after Grayson for a while.

Hopefully The Rock stays far away from the Bloodline stuff. All of this teasing with Waller feels like he's just going to do some one-off segment where he drops Waller for a pop and goes away again.

One of the better eps in a while. It was nice not having a main event of the Judgment Day vs babyface team for once. Also, that Seth/Nakamura promo got me instantly interested in their feud.

i remember jericho saying awhile back how he told MJF "you're such a great heel one day you're gunna be a top tier babyface" and commented how MJF was essentially like "EW NO!" and Jericho promised him.

seems how well received and tbh fun this whole run of him and Adam Cole has been is further proof of that.
i admit i may be a lil bias in my love of MJF being a fellow Long Islander but IMO it's been the best thing on Dynamite recent weeks.
Also that Cole/MJF promo to hype up the match was money.

I remember dreading the news of a MJF/Cole title feud when it first appeared in the dirtsheets but they've knocked it out of the park. Their first match against each other was fantastic and everything that has happened since saved what was becoming a pretty disappointing title reign for MJF. It's salvaged Adam's AEW run too. They really are Better Than You, BayBay!

pls don't break up after All In

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)