Popplio, Brionne, Primarina DIscussion

I think from a pure stats perspective they're comparable but Sylvies best sets imo are those Calm Mind Wish sets that Primarina obviously can't run.

Primarina don't have the tools to be a efficient support pokemon, so the only way to run it is as bulky attacker.

With the pixelate nerf (the bonus of pixelate was nerf to 20%), on a choice specs set, sylveon's hyper voice doesn't hit harder that primarina's moonblast anymore.

-252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 279-329 (93.9 - 110.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
-252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 288-339 (96.9 - 114.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO.

Primarina's physical bulk is around the same as sylveon's (actually a little better).

-252+ Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Primarina: 324-382 (89 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
-252+ Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 360-425 (91.3 - 107.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Also Primarina has more coverage than Sylveon and is not totally shut down by Scizor, it even has a chance of OHKO Ferrothorn on full health, so I guess it outclasses sylveon as a Choice Specs user,

I think a Life Orb set isn't that great of a choice, it works but Sylveon outclasses it thank to Calm Mind. Assault Vest is the other option, but I only see it working on UU, which will most likely be Primarina's tier.

Anyway I still see the a choice specs set making Primarina a UU with a niche on OU.
Assult vest or the Unique Z move are the way to go I think It's signature move is the only water type move that Bypasses Sub which is nice. plus a soft way to heal an Ally burn is not something to frown upon. Assault vest makes her very bulky, and the Z move just looks cool to me :p The set I said before is probably her best set. Moonblast, Sparkiling Aria, Psychic, Ice Beam. Great coverage, only Emploeon and Shedinja wall it. As was stated before Psychic is a great check to most poison types that try to counter her, and if you pair it with a Psychic terrain you will be doing massive damage to almost all her checks.

Don't like Sparkling Aria, it's Hyper Voice that heals burns...people say you can heal your teammate...yeah at the expense of striking them with a 90 base power stab move which for some more frail mons is a problem, I'd just run Hyper Voice which still bypasses sub and hit both opponents.

Don't like Sparkling Aria, it's Hyper Voice that heals burns...people say you can heal your teammate...yeah at the expense of striking them with a 90 base power stab move which for some more frail mons is a problem, I'd just run Hyper Voice which still bypasses sub and hit both opponents.
You lose coverage by running Hyper voice though. Plus it looks pretty. I probably shouldn't factor in that but here I am lol

Hyper Voice becomes water with the Liquid Voice ability so you're not losing any coverage at all by running that over Sparkling Aria

Hyper Voice becomes water with the Liquid Voice ability so you're not losing any coverage at all by running that over Sparkling Aria
But you are though, Hyper Voice hits those mons you cannot hit with STABs. So you do lose out on coverage. Really the only reason to use liquid voice is for Perish Song shenanigans and maybe in doubles. Though Sparkling Aria does have it's uses there as well since it can heal or boost storm drain/water absorb teammates.

I'm also factoring in we have NO idea when liquid voice is going to become avalible for use in the actual game. Could be months or years. For now, Sparkling Aria is better until we are allowed to get Liquid voice, and then I can see Hyper voice being better

But you are though, Hyper Voice hits those mons you cannot hit with STABs. So you do lose out on coverage. Really the only reason to use liquid voice is for Perish Song shenanigans and maybe in doubles. Though Sparkling Aria does have it's uses there as well since it can heal or boost storm drain/water absorb teammates.
Yeah it also has that benefit, which is nice. I do wish it had an effect that allies getting hit take reduced damage, or if enemies had a burn it does extra damage or lowers a stat. Still, I like the move

At least after XY even if I wasn't able to get it, legal HA starters we're floating around because they were actually obtainable , now I'm not sure if there will be any legal way of obtaining them which sucks for me because I wanna get straight to breeding.

I wonder if Liquid Voice would have been better if it just converted existing water-types into sound rather than what we got (lol, sound-based Hydro Pump). I don't know, it just irks me that Game Freak decided to give Primarina a superfluous amount of Water-Type moves when like only three at most would suffice. It's nice to see Game Freak trying to integrate their own lore into the actual gameplay (instead of constantly exaggerating speeds), even if it's at the cost of robbing a Pokemon's potential to become something better.

But considering Brionne is into dancing so much, I hope we get an event-exclusive Brionne with its HA and Quiver Dance.

It seems dumb cuz they literally made it an objectively worse -ate ability, might as well have made it like the ate abilities especially since they got nerfed anyway

Why are people worried about Sparkling Aria curing burns? I get it, it makes Scald pointless, but it's also just a Surf with the ability to use Primarina's signature Z-Move.

Regardless, I love Primarina. I could see it running something with Hyper Voice / Moonblast / Ice Beam or Energy Ball / Hidden Power or Encore or something.

Has it been confirmed if Liquid Voice gives a boost? (If said in this thread, sorry, I haven't read the entire thread.)

Why are people worried about Sparkling Aria curing burns? I get it, it makes Scald pointless, but it's also just a Surf with the ability to use Primarina's signature Z-Move.

Regardless, I love Primarina. I could see it running something with Hyper Voice / Moonblast / Ice Beam or Energy Ball / Hidden Power or Encore or something.

Has it been confirmed if Liquid Voice gives a boost? (If said in this thread, sorry, I haven't read the entire thread.)
It's does not give a boost

It doesn't seem there's any additional effects either to compensate. The only advantage between this has over a regular -ate ability is if you REALLY wanted to make Disarming Voice a fully dedicated water-type move. A converted Hyper Voice is only useful in Doubles since it only hits the enemy side - I think the healing effect of Sparkling Aria is negligent enough that nobody would really care about using it over Hyper Voice. Even then, I'm pretty sure Scald or even Hydro Miss are more appealing options in singles.

Giving Primarina its Z-move limits your team from using their Z-moves, since you're only allowed to use one per team (Z-moves are literally weaker versions of Megas, thanks Game Freak). Making assumptions here, but I'm pretty sure the most optimal Z-moves are the ones that boost stats since they aren't a one-time thing and provide consistent damage. I don't think Primarina has any major stat-boosting Z-move?

I wonder if Sparkling Aria has some merit in singles. Maybe fake out your foe to switch in a burned foe to take a Sparkling Aria, but you just spam other moves to deal additional damage. Course, I feel like this relies on both sides overplaying like a try-hard tween.

Since I cant get hidden abilities now anyway Ill probably just run Scald/Energy Ball/MoonBlast/Ice Beam with Torrent for the time being

I think for all-out attacking sets, it should maybe be something like: Sparkling Aria or Scald/Moonblast/Psychic/HP Fire or Ice Beam. Sparkling Aria/Scald and Moonblast for STAB damage. Psychic to deal with Poison types like M-Venusaur/Amoongus. HP Fire/Ice Beam to deal with Ferrothorn or Tangrowth respectively. Energy Ball is another option if bulky waters are really an issue but I don't see much use for it in since most are 2KO'd (some will need stealth rock damage) by life orb/choice specs-boosted Moonblast/Psychic.

I went into coverage calculator and you get more super effective hits by swapping psychic for energy ball (around 60 more sper effective hits). I probably need to actually look at what pokemon though to gauge if its running psychic for a few poison types over better super effective coverage. Chances are you are right though. At least I can have fun with torrent Prim for a while before I eventually want HA Prim and Lit for VGC

I went into coverage calculator and you get more super effective hits by swapping psychic for energy ball (around 60 more sper effective hits). I probably need to actually look at what pokemon though to gauge if its running psychic for a few poison types over better super effective coverage. Chances are you are right though. At least I can have fun with torrent Prim for a while before I eventually want HA Prim and Lit for VGC
You may hit more guys SE but Psychic is still a soild choice depending on certain checks, like Mega Venasaur.

Plus if you have a pokemon with Psychic Terrain Psychic is the better choice.

You may hit more guys SE but Psychic is still a soild choice depending on certain checks, like Mega Venasaur.

Plus if you have a pokemon with Psychic Terrain Psychic is the better choice.
Yeah psychic may be a better choice, luckily neither are egg moves so I can switch em out later if I find one more effective

check the battle mechanics thread, extensive research was done there...multiple youtubers did videos on it its all but confirmed.

What? Am I missing something? How does primarina lose coverage by running hyper voice over sparkling aria?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)