Pokemon Legends - Arceus - 28th Jan 2022 *Official Content Only*

In similar fashion to what I said to DP, carefully optimistic after the new trailer.

Graphics got improved for this too, and it appears to not run at 3 fps anymore.

I see that the lightning choice is actually intentional (gives a Botw-like feel?) and not sure what to judge on it.

The idea of "ancient forms" of pokemon is however quite intriguing.

It also definitely isnt only a regular pokemon game... there's a completely different battle system. Once more, carefully optimistic for this. Looks promising. Please dont ruin it :D

Super stoked they showed off some new Pokemon and forms. That is always what I look forward to most in new games. The announced Home compatibility and fact that VGC will remain in SwSh makes me hopeful that they will eventually be added to SwSh.

It sounds like Basculegion may finally add another water/ghost type! (If not, why all the talk of spirits?!)

PLA looking very exciting so far. Hopefully blacking out doesn't happen nearly as often as getting one-shot in Breath of the Wild.

Intentions were already clear, but now this is a confession. Legends Arceus looks so good, it's obvious that this is the game Game Freak worries the most about. I see ambition, and I see will to do great things.

Legends Arceus will be used to test the waters and check if the Pokémon main series can change from a traditional turn based combat system to something more similar too modern FF, like the ATB system used in FF VII and others (altho a better example would be FF X). Which is something I don't like, not gonna lie, but it's a small price to pay in order to see future games with the budget and creativity of Legends Arceus.

I also like the regional forms of Braviary and Growlithe (this one is a lulz).

Last edited:
Call me impressed, they made massive progress with this game.

The pokemon feel more like beings part of the world instead of NPCs that wait for you to catch them like in SwSh and the graphics look far more polished. Ironically the trailer feels even more like BotW than previously. Now I look forward for the game.

Also interesting that they put an evolution for Standler. Guess our boy does finally get relevancy outside of its own generation.
Some interesting lore but I am not much of a lore guy when it comes to Pokemon.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

Link to the Pokemon Presents.

Pokemon Legends Arceus info starts at: 15:00 minutes in.

New Pokemon confirmed:

Wyrdeer - Evolves from Stantler
Basculegion - Evolves from Basculin
Hisuian Braviary - No information on Rufflet
Hisuian Growlithe - No information on Arcanine

Graphics are hugely improved from the February Trailer. Looking good!

Changes to the Battle System, Pokemon have Strong or Agile moves which can change turn order (and depending on Speed stats, act twice in a row).

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
AYO This game is looking rad!

So Ancient Sinnoh is called Hisui? Didn't expect that.

Hisuian form of Braviary and Growlithe? Those look so cool! Hisuian Braviary reminds me of the BOTW Rito though, not gonna lie.

New Basculin and Stantler evolutions? Yo that's hella cool.

The game doesn't look ground breaking by any means, but it's the coolest and most refreshing experience Pokemon will have in a long, long time. I'm looking forward to this game for sure, plus the open world of Hisui looks so good and the game looks like it'll be so much fun to play!

Can't wait!!!

Am I weard for thinking the combat system reminds me so much of Pixelmon?

Not that's a bad thing, I love it, just feels it's very similar.

Legends Arceus will be used to test the waters and check if the Pokémon main series can change from a traditional turn based combat system to something more similar too modern FF, like the ATB system used in FF VII and others. Which is something I don't like, not gonna lie, but it's a small price to pay in order to see future games with the budget and creativity of Legends Arceus.
I'm not 100% sure they want to *change* the main series, pretty sure gen 9 games will still be with the same formula of SwSh, but if this is successful, it means they may commit to more secondary releases that arent straight JRPG.

When SwSh was announced, I was hyped but concerned about the whole Dynamax feature. When the game came out, I was disappointed but not surprised (no meme intended). After all, it was just another beat 8 gyms pokémon game. Just a ok game.

Now with Legends I'm more excited than I was with XY and the whole megaevolution 3D pokémon hype. A lot of fresh ideas coming out with this game.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
There's so much stuff I can comment on, so much stuff to analyze and yet above literally everything else shown I'm flabbergasted they SALVAGED STANTLER. I've been meming about this ever since the SWSH DLC rollout where I begged for Galarian Stantler to no avail, but this is a fat step-up.

Oh yeah, right, traditional cross-gen evos are back it seems! You love to see it

Ancient Sinnoh having a different name (and already established cities, it seems) is really interesting. I'm sure the overall plot involves the founding of modern Sinnoh as we know it.

The new Pokemon and forms are super intriguing! Good old Stantler getting an evolution is cool and it looks great; wish it was an Ice-type though. Another old forgotten favorite in Basculin getting an evolution is also cool, and it looks killer. I wonder what the explanation for these evolutions not being able in modern day will be; I know it has to do with the region itself, but it's still a little weird. New Braviary also is cool, and I can't wait to see the statuesque Arcanine that I'm sure we're getting.

Also, missed opportunity to call the new battle styles "Single Strike" and "Rapid Strike"?

Really pleased to see Stantler get an evolution. I always liked Stantler, and it’s notably the only Johto Pokémon not in any Regional Dex besides it Debut.

There’s also the new Braviary, which makes me wonder if Mandibuzz will get a regional form since the two are counterparts.

Pleasant surprised to see Legends Arceus looks significantly better because man does gamefreak not have a good track record with that.
  • Seems whatever issues they were having before with the roaming Pokemon has been resolved.
  • Looks significantly better across the board, in general. Better lighting, and getting to show various times of day and environments helps a lot. The town in particular stands out from what it looked like back in February.
  • The battle system is very interesting. The turn order system (like in FFX) and the "style" system will definitely make Arceus stand out, though I don't expect this to come to the main line series in the future.
  • Regional variants were a pelasant surprise. They all look pretty cool, and I enjoyed the variety...although I do again have reservations about "regoinal evolutions" considering how kind of limiting that is.
    • Also ngl i get its "the far past of sinnoh" and all but like....would've been nice....if these were in BDSP.....
    • Shame we'll have to wait until whenever Home compatbility is added to mess with these in SWSH
  • New characters are interesting. I assume Lavendon is from Galar specifically...having played Great Ace Attorney recently it was funny to see the regional mixing go in reverse.
  • That said all the stuff like crafting just had me go "ugh"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)