Pokemon Gold 1997 Prototype discovered: Many scrapped pokemon designs within

Does this mean we were gonna have the tiger blob line but then it got swapped to Teddiursa/Ursaring line? Shame.
Might've just replaced its spot internally. At the very least judging by the sprites it seems like the previous fire starter whose name I always forget was turned into Teddiursa.

Does this mean we were gonna have the tiger blob line but then it got swapped to Teddiursa/Ursaring line? Shame.
OK cool the website that was easily hosting all the sprites is back up and has the "scratchpad" sprites. https://gssource.neocities.org/scratchpad.html
So yeah this is just hotswapping whatever was in the slot previously. There's a number of those throughout such as....
or

Some others might have just been reference material.

This one is a scratchpad of ironing out Cyndaquil's design so it's referencing the old fire starter but it looks like they grabbed both front & back for rinrin possibly for color reference.

Or piloswine, which seems to be referencing Turban to imitate its shape.

Or Slugma which is referencing its beta self, turban and piloswine. This could also be a case of just reusing different "scratchpads".
------
These scratch pads are also showing some other ideas they were having during the design process which is cool

Before landing on the final design, it seems Noctowl had another revision after spaceworld to keep it more in line with Hoothoot than it already was. Makes the complete 180 into a Realistic Owl all the crazier, really

Another Politoed design, I like this one more than spaceworld but the final design was the way to go for sure

Gligar's always resembled a Facehugger but this really emphasizes it even more. The bottom right corner just looks like a dragon quest sprite

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
New stuffs unearthed now. Still new stuffs currently dug up.
https://gssource.neocities.org/sprites.html
Oh geez, another?! I thought we were done with the major leaks but this one is probably just below the Spaceworld Demo!

Silver:
  • Bayleef: Smelling the pleasant, spice-like aroma that emanates from around its neck causes one to feel hungry.
  • Wobbuffet: It hides away in dark places. It doesn't make attacks on its own, but when counterattacking, it returns damage threefold. // Still called Twinz. "Shadow Pokemon". Wow, Wobbuffet (body and tail) started out from a Girafarig prevo?
  • Shuckle: At some point, it works its way into a pot. What its true body is like is unknown. // lmao"potpot" is literally a pokemon in a pot
  • Dunsparce: It is very persistent. Once it decides on a target, it follows it to the ends of the earth. // fuckin badass
  • Scizor: Due to its fondness for shores, it is thought to be a species close to those like Krabby. // ??? lol
  • Corsola: In order to protect the carefully-raised tip of its head from being eaten by Staryu, it lives in groups.
  • Skarmory: Because its nest is located in a high-up area where violent wind rages, its skin has steadily become harder. // "Yoroidori"
  • Houndoom: Parts of its skin are hardened and almost appear as if its bones have been flipped out.
  • Kingdra: Because it surrounds its body with ink it emits from the water in order to conceal itself, its appearance is hard to determine.
  • Suicune: very slightly different wording (みせる vs. final あらわした) but otherwise same // "Sui"; "Milky Way Pokemon"
  • Tyranitar: Its forehead is said to be the hardest thing on land. Charging with its forehead, there is nothing it cannot break. // Did you know? Tyranitar = Rampardos. same point on "charge" as above
  • Ledian: specifically mentions that it has 7 stars and is called "7 Star Pokemon". seems it went through a lot of different star numbers - 3 in SW, 7 here, 5 in final, go figure. Ledian == Marshadow?????
  • Feraligatr: same // "It is hard for it to support its own weight out of water, so it gets down on all fours. But it moves fast. " then why the fuck is it standing on two legs in every appearance???

Gold:
  • Shuckle: Berries stored in its pot-like shell seem to eventually turn into alcohol. // so this is why they banned berry juice in lc
  • Dunsparce: When attacking prey, it hits it with its head, violently and very hard, in order to knock it unconscious. // how it feels to get paraflinched to death in gamefreak lore
  • Forretress: It has layered tree bark and made a sturdy shell, but the shell is heavy and it practically cannot move.
  • Sneasel: Its long, crescent-shaped claws are usually hidden in its fingers.
First off, thank you for translating! :blobthumbsup:

Bayleef: More like Bayweed. :pimp: Joking aside, final version says it makes people feel energized so its sort of the opposite effect.
Wobbuffet: So I guess that explains why Wobbuffet was missing from the SW97 demo! Now the tail having eyes makes so much sense, its essentially a leftover from when it was the prevo of Girafarig.
Shuckle: So Shuckle lived in a pot and made alcohol? Sounds like something someone would make drinking a whole pot of alcohol.
Dunsparce: Geez, Dunsparce was a killer! Wonder what made them do a 180 with a few of these descriptions.
Scizor: Wha? Such an odd dex. Has it been changed to Bug/Steel yet because SW97 Scizor was still Bug/Flying and green colored like Scyther. Maybe this dex entry is a holdover from that design which I could maybe see being a fisheater.
Corsola: Huh, so originally it was preyed upon by Staryu, so even as early as Gen II they were thinking of a sea star that preyed upon Corsola.
Skarmory: Final version its the thorns of the branches its nest are made off that turns it to a Steel-type which I feel is a better reason.
Houndoom: So they go out of their way to explain the bone is just hardened skin, none of Houndour or Houndoom's dex entry (after a quick search for "bone") even mention it having what looks to be external bones.
Kingdra: Somewhere along the line this turns to hiding using whirlpools creates from its yawns. Wonder what caused the change?
Suicune: Its species was the "Milky Way Pokemon"? Odd, I never thought about it but it's supposed to be an incarnation of the "northern" wind yet its Water-type and called the Aurora Pokemon, and now it was originally related to space. I wonder if the story they were reincarnated Pokemon who perished in the burning of the Brass Tower was a thing or the three are based on different origins.
Tyranitar: Use your head!
Ledian: Now I'm just imagining a petty office argument about the number of "stars" they want to give it. "It'll be the 7 star Pokemon and have 7 stars on its back, like the Big Dipper!" "Having to make sure it has seven stars on its back can get annoying, let's just make it like 3" "3 is boring, but 7 is a bit much, let's go in the middle and make it 5 like how there's 5 points" "About that, can we just make them circles in a vague star-shape? It would look more natural"
Feraligatr: Maybe same reason bears stand up on its hind legs even though it walks on four: to look intimidating.

Forretress: Was Forretress always a Steel-type? This description makes it sound like it was originally a Grass-type.
Sneasel: Yet it looks like it has claws, even in its SW97 demo sprite. I wonder if there's an even earlier design where it has finger stubs the claws came out of?

-Misdreavus was apparently the concept evolution of the japanese straw voodoo doll / kyonshii Pokemon Norowara
-Espeon had 4 ears
-Ledian is proto Marshadow (the twist nobody saw coming)
Misdreavus: Wait, I thought the concept evolution for the straw voodoo doll was the one based on the Chinese hopping zombie?
Espeon: And I guess the bottom hair tufts it has underneath its ears are what's left of that design choice, interesting.
Ledian: So does that mean we can make it Bug/Fighting now and change its stats to be a Physical Ribombee (60/95/70/55/60/124//464)?

I'll take a closer look at the sprites later cause that itself is a whole can of worms!

That's Animon, the Steel-type Ditto evolution from the original Space World demo leak that the internet blew up about because it looks like a screaming condom.
I said bottom right, not bottom left.

It's facing directly towards the "camera" and positioned just like a DQ sprite was

The one in the right is the face it has when all opposing physical attackers are KOed.

By the way...

View attachment 240566

It's interesting to see we were about to have some precedent for Oshawott's line on having a starter go from bipedal to quadrupedal.
Ehh Blastoise's sprite does the same thing (even in the final game) and the other sprite in the batch is Feraligatr on 2 legs as usual.

breh

強いだね
Suicune: Its species was the "Milky Way Pokemon"? Odd, I never thought about it but it's supposed to be an incarnation of the "northern" wind yet its Water-type and called the Aurora Pokemon, and now it was originally related to space. I wonder if the story they were reincarnated Pokemon who perished in the burning of the Brass Tower was a thing or the three are based on different origins.
Should note that "Milky Way" in Japanese is "Ama no gawa" - literally "river of the heavens" - which is maybe how the Water-type somehow got stuck with a space theme. How it went to auroras and the northern wind, frankly, I have literally no clue in hindsight, but maybe it's tied to the same thing as the concept evolved? idk

Last edited:
Should note that "Milky Way" in Japanese is "Ama no gawa" - literally "river of the heavens" - which is maybe how the Water-type somehow got stuck with a space theme. How it went to auroras and the northern wind, frankly, I have literally no clue in hindsight, but maybe it's tied to the same thing as the concept evolved? idk
Now that you've pointed it out I can see the associations.
You've got a space theme, Auroras are usually up against the night sky, that's close enough for msot people.
In terms of "the heavens" we also have the aurora/sky/heaven connection
The aurora are "northern lights" which would lead to "northern wind". I mean there's southern lights too but lets face it Northern Lights get all the attention.
And auroras are caused by solar winds, so that's another wind connection for the trip home.

Suicune's "cape" is also proabbly meant to evokve the milky way/aurora.

This is pretty neat. Mostly localization related, but the Japanese bug reports probably lend a lot of insight on what Gen 2 used to look like in development.

I took some screenshots of differences I noticed through a bit of gameplay in the earliest English Gold/Silver build. Most plot dialogue is untranslated, but there are still differences to be seen. A full text dump would be interesting.
Boxes are different
Different keyboard
A tamer lighthouse
mons2_slv_us04.png
Close enough
mons2_slv_us09.png
mons2_gld_us424_09.png
apricots
Slowpoketail
Spite
I think this is Gaven
Alphabetical order (unseen: Raikou, Blissey)
???????
mons2_gld_us424_35.png
Mewothree
???????
Minor text fixes
Minor text fixes
A comma,
mons2_slv_us11.png
Gen 1
Every number is written as a number
mons2_slv_us18.png
SKILL

In one of the Crystals, you OHKO everything and get boosted EXP.

EDIT: I don't have screenshots of it in action, but the clock change debug menu + HUD from Spaceworld still remains up to Crystal's debug menus with the same functionality.
Compare the final Crystal Debug notes with Spaceworld Debug menu.

Attachments

Last edited:
I mean the thing all these sprites & stuff come from is like 5 different builds that leaked out right?
Wasn't aware there was a crystal leak though, I thought i twas just 97~99 era stuff

wait, where did this come from?
From my understanding, the full leak contains the source code of the GS + C localizations, with a lot of leftovers within. Among these, there were a ton of day to day ROM builds, and those screenshots are from the earliest one there (April 24, 2000). This + English Blue/Yellow source (earlier this month) are actually where Spaceworld 1997 and the "Red/Green" assets originated from, all part of a bigger picture.

Well that website may be down (again) but tcrf is ever so slowly starting to ducment things, starting with slight map tweaks from the 99 Spaceworld build and the release build & some localization builds
https://tcrf.net/Proto:Pokémon_Gold_and_Silver
With the most completed being the 99 Spaceworld vs Final map https://tcrf.net/Proto:Pokémon_Gold_and_Silver/Spaceworld_1999_Demo/Map_Differences
Most of these are minor touch ups, with a few new tiles thrown in, the most shocking change is

The Viridian Gym wasn't legos, it had a slightly different layout and used columns. The decision to use "legos" was always a little weird, the fact there was a poitn in development mere months from completion where it was an entirely different tile set they chose to throw out for legos makes it even weirder!

The elite four rooms also have some subtantial differences.

e: Oh they do have a run down of all the 99 build Pokemon designs, at least, including all the backsprites in one place and comparisons to final. The scrapped (pre?)97 mons havent been added yet.

Last edited:
Well that website may be down (again) but tcrf is ever so slowly starting to ducment things, starting with slight map tweaks from the 99 Spaceworld build and the release build & some localization builds
https://tcrf.net/Proto:Pokémon_Gold_and_Silver
With the most completed being the 99 Spaceworld vs Final map https://tcrf.net/Proto:Pokémon_Gold_and_Silver/Spaceworld_1999_Demo/Map_Differences
Most of these are minor touch ups, with a few new tiles thrown in, the most shocking change is

The Viridian Gym wasn't legos, it had a slightly different layout and used columns. The decision to use "legos" was always a little weird, the fact there was a poitn in development mere months from completion where it was an entirely different tile set they chose to throw out for legos makes it even weirder!

The elite four rooms also have some subtantial differences.
Hmm, those tiles look kinda lego-y to me. What did the final version look like?

Oh. I see. Yeah, that's... that's legos all right.

Whoa...that Feraligatr sprite is awesome. It actually looks threatening instead of...kinda goofy.
And I think it explains why Feraligatr is so huge for a starter.

The only other two starters that are over 2 metres in height are Serperior (a snake, so it's justified) and Venusaur (who has a giant flower on its back).

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I mined the "GS_Korean" Source Code for stats and managed to form a spreadsheet for it. There's a lot of interesting stuff in there, including some prototype Pokemon I believe aren't too known about. Many of these stats are unique and show a lot of interesting balancing changes. At one point, Lugia wasn't The Great Wall, but a terrifying special attacker.

I found a sprite for one prototype Pokemon and restored: Sanibougo, a beta Mamoswine. I found it by chance, and after some discussion with the TCRF Discord it is most definitely the cut evolution. Its stats were 100/80/120/60/120/20, unparalleled bulk. It was also Ice/Ground and only got Powder Snow at the time.
PM2F_218.CBB​
Restored Sprite w/Piloswine palette (56x56)​

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I just wanna make sure everyone knows that Sanibougo is hecka chonker

some other notable things on the spreadsheet:

Scizor, Heracross, and Plux (Pinsir evo) all had ridiculously high stats, Scizor wasn't a Steel-type and Heracross wasn't a fighting-type

Norowara and Kyonpan had a Scyther/Scizor dynamic where they had the same base stat total but it was arranged differently, norowara was a slow frail mixed attacker while Kyonpan's stats were more balanced.

Teddiursa and Ursaring were entirely different pokemon, they're listed as Electric-types with an entirely different stat spread, It's possible that these are actually the stats for Kotora and Raitora?

Most Johto pokemon were buffed by release overall, several Kanto Pokemon were significantly nerfed by release, including Gyarados, Cloyster, Tauros, and Rhydon.

Tyrogue had actual stats instead of just having 35s across the board

Steelix had an entirely different stat spread that was more similar to Onix's

Shuckle was Rock/Ground and part of an evolutionary line with completely different stats.

Girafarig was a 3 stage normal/ghost line at this point with a very alien stat spread compared to what we actually got.

Bellsprout line's split evolution just seems like an objectively better version of Victreebel with higher offenses in exchange for defenses and only a small amount of speed.

Now, for a hypothesis

I personally think that the little ice-types from the spaceworld demo Wolfman and Warwolf were incorporated into Swinub and possibly Sneasel's designs later on. Swinub and Piloswine weren't in the 97 demo, and when they were added here Wolfman and Warwolf are nowhere to be found, i think it's very possible that gamefreak decided to just take the "pelt" the evolutionary line was wearing and make that the pokemon without the little creature wearing it. Sneasel was also a mono dark-type in the spaceworld demo iirc, with the Ice-type being added later on, i think the idea of a little mischief making Ice-type that the evo line had might've been incorporated into Sneasel's final design.

So, thoughts?

Last edited:
It's funny to see that Delibird had even WORSE stats during beta.

I wonder if the change in stat distribution for Lugia was to make it stand out from Mewtwo, because the only difference between their distributions is that their HP and Speed stats are swapped.

Mewtwo: 106/110/90/154/90/130
Beta Lugia: 130/110/90/154/90/106

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)