Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - Release 19th Nov 2021

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Ok just did the Buck and Marley sections and Marley retains her title as the most useless best partner. Her Arcanine's only attacking move is Burn Up, so it can literally only attack once. Did it really need both Howl and Leer?? Can it really not KO Shinies??
I'm not entirely sure if I fixed that for you or just said how afraid I am of Shiny Pokemon getting KOed.

Can u play the battle tower online coop with a friend?¿
I'm pretty sure the Tower doesn't have Tag Battles any more.

I can't get over how wild the Grand Underground is, but on the other hand...

Catching Shellos at the Valley Windworks is a fool's errand when you can just get a whole Gastrodon slightly later. Shellos' early game is rough anyway.

Similarly, getting a Murkrow in Eterna Forest is especially foolish when you can look for one with either Brave Bird or Drill Peck for much, much better STAB.
Matter of fact, in cases like these where an egg move is so pivotal for a mon, you straight up shouldn't catch a normal wild. There are several cases like this because the movepools are trash.

The combination of better options underground than in the overworld and guaranteed Egg Moves in a game where movepools are straight garbage makes the entire early game feel pointless.

Why exactly should I care about catching, say, an Onix in Oreburgh when I can just hold out a bit and get a Head Smash Rock Head Onix in the Under a couple of hours later?

It honestly feels like SwSh's raids. You really don't have a reason to catch random wild mons when the Raid ones got so many things to sweeten the deal.

Catching Shellos at the Valley Windworks is a fool's errand when you can just get a whole Gastrodon slightly later. Shellos' early game is rough anyway.

Similarly, getting a Murkrow in Eterna Forest is especially foolish when you can look for one with either Brave Bird or Drill Peck for much, much better STAB.
Matter of fact, in cases like these where an egg move is so pivotal for a mon, you straight up shouldn't catch a normal wild. There are several cases like this because the movepools are trash.

The combination of better options underground than in the overworld and guaranteed Egg Moves in a game where movepools are straight garbage makes the entire early game feel pointless.

Why exactly should I care about catching, say, an Onix in Oreburgh when I can just hold out a bit and get a Head Smash Rock Head Onix in the Under a couple of hours later?

It honestly feels like SwSh's raids. You really don't have a reason to catch random wild mons when the Raid ones got so many things to sweeten the deal.
Wait, I thought you were pushing for options to turn affection bonuses and exp share off. The entire grand underground is optional, maybe people dont want to use the feature to relive the "original" experience?

Wait, I thought you were pushing for options to turn affection bonuses and exp share off. The entire grand underground is optional, maybe people dont want to use the feature to relive the "original" experience?
& I basically just used it for swinub

and suffered for it because i waited until between gyms 2 & 3 so the level curve meant i couldn't catch anything until half way to maylene
& then suffered more looking for a specific egg move, which? Don't recommend.

:pikuh:

Yes, there's clearly a correlation between these points, and in no way, shape, or form this is a massive reach. :psysly:

:pikuh:

Yes, there's clearly a correlation between these points, and in no way, shape, or form this is a massive reach. :psysly:
The underground gives a notable step up due to the levels involved (provided you go there at the right time, after a while it evens out) and egg moves and so on.
It's not as overbearing as Exp All or Affection, but it's definitely a similar wheelhouse in terms of advantages, just one you have more control over in this game. I can see why someone would make that connection.

The underground gives a notable step up due to the levels involved (provided you go there at the right time, after a while it evens out) and egg moves and so on.
It's not as overbearing as Exp All or Affection, but it's definitely a similar wheelhouse in terms of advantages, just one you have more control over in this game. I can see why someone would make that connection.
But I did say the Grand Underground is busted af and makes the early game lackluster since you can pretty much catch straight upgrades as soon as you get to Eterna.

What exactly does that have to do with the consensus pretty much everywhere you discuss this game that Exp. Share and Affection should be optional?

But I did say the Grand Underground is busted af and makes the early game lackluster since you can pretty much catch straight upgrades as soon as you get to Eterna.

What exactly does that have to do with the consensus pretty much everywhere you discuss this game that Exp. Share and Affection should be optional?
Because it's easy to read as "why would anyone not use this?!", with the implication being you should just use it instead, which you could apply to exp share or affection or whatever, probably

Since HAs are only obtainable via poké radar, and poké radar is terrible, it isnt reliable and can randomly break, and also the probs of getting a HA mon with radar is 1/128, im assuming the only viable way of getting HAs on BDSP is through ability patches, right?

Apologies if this has been covered but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Do we know what the triggers are for E4 Round 3 and the postgame Dawn/Lucas battle? Serebii implies that the former just happens automatically after beating the Platinum rematch teams and straight-up falsely claims that Dawn/Lucas battles you as soon as you talk to them after entering the Hall of Fame and get through their other dialogue.

I'm kinda wondering if the D/L battle is a weekend-only thing like Barry, hence why the people who raced through the main game in a single day were able to trigger it.

Last edited:
I have not played the remakes but skimming through Serebii's articles resulted in me saying that Underground is a solution to everything. Need a TM? Better start digging. Want an item for Ramanas legendaries? Grab that pickaxe. Require an evolution item for Electabuzz? The shovel is right there, my boy. Would you like to acquire some egg moves? Welcome to Dwarf Simulator.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Apologies if this has been covered but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Do we know what the triggers are for E4 Round 3 and the postgame Dawn/Lucas battle? Serebii implies that the former just happens automatically after beating the Platinum rematch teams and straight-up falsely claims that Dawn/Lucas battles you as soon as you talk to them after entering the Hall of Fame and get through their other dialogue.

I'm kinda wondering if the D/L battle is a weekend-only thing like Barry, hence why the people who raced through the main game in a single day were able to trigger it.
Have you caught or defeated Heatran at Stark Mountain?

I don't have the game (yet) so I can't test it for myself but I remember Vs. Seeker rematches and the Platinum E4/Cynthia upgraded rematch levels in the original DPP were gated behind story checkpoints, and the final checkpoint for Vs. Seeker Trainers and E4/Cynthia to reach their ultimate levels/teams was completing the Stark Mountain quest, ie go and catch Heatran. I do not know if the second route E4 is gated behind this too, but there is a very good chance that Heatran is the checkpoint that triggers the ultimate E4 Round 3 and Dawn//Lucas post-game battles.

Have you caught or defeated Heatran at Stark Mountain?

I don't have the game (yet) so I can't test it for myself but I remember Vs. Seeker rematches and the Platinum E4/Cynthia upgraded rematch levels in the original DPP were gated behind story checkpoints, and the final checkpoint for Vs. Seeker Trainers and E4/Cynthia to reach their ultimate levels/teams was completing the Stark Mountain quest, ie go and catch Heatran. I do not know if the second route E4 is gated behind this too, but there is a very good chance that Heatran is the checkpoint that triggers the ultimate E4 Round 3 and Dawn//Lucas post-game battles.
I have now and I'm planning on checking if that changed anything soon, but in Platinum you don't have to catch Heatran to trigger the level increase (you just have to get Charon arrested) and I'd done literally every other part of the quest before checking the E4 last time, so I feel like gating it behind an otherwise optional catch would be weird.

EDIT: ok it seems like battling Heatran probably is the trigger!

Last edited:
As a followup on Spiritomb, if people were curious about how easy it is to get it:

Basically, the underground NPCs are random spawns; and any can spawn in any location underground. This means it is absolutely possible to talk to 32 of them before postgame. However! While they can spawn anywhere, there's certain areas they're a lot more likely to; their 'boosted' areas that they are unlikely to appear outside of. Of the 35 unique underground NPCs, 7 of them have their boosted location be the section of the underground accessed through the Battle Zone -- they can appear outside it, but again, it's not terribly likely -- and to get to Spiritomb's 32, you'd need 4 of them to spawn outside of it during the game. I don't know what the rates actually are, it could be pretty generous for all I know; but given all the reports pre-release it seems you'd have to be very lucky. Even with all that considered, this also means that there's NPCs you are unlikely to encounter until the late-game areas of the underground that they are boosted in; such as the Snowpoint area's 5 boosted NPCs.

The tldr of all this is that you are very unlikely to get Spiritomb before postgame, and even if you do it will likely take so long as to be late in the game. If you were planning to catch a Spiritomb during your playthrough, you will probably want to reconsider a different ghost or dark type for your team.

BDSP sold 1.4 million physical copies in Japan in 3 days.
DP sold 1.5 million in Japan in 4 days, and obviously didn't have a digital shop to have more sales with.
The record in japan otherwise is New Horizons with 1.8 million copies in 3 days.

I suspect this wont have super long legs (relative for this series), just because Legends Arceus is coming out in literally 2 months, but very impressive

I gotta say, I am thoroughly enjoying these games so far! The grand underground is awesome, the music is beautifully remastered, and the one-use but multiple TMs isn’t bugging me as much as I thought it would. I also appreciate the enhanced AI and optimized sets on important trainers (but RIP Barry lol). Believe it or not, the EXP share thing isn’t terrible either. Though I wish it could be toggled for extra challenge, the only way to really get overleveled is if you battle every single trainer you see in tandem with grinding on overleveled underground Pokémon.

The only things that I don’t like are the bike, which incredibly hard to keep in control unlike the original DP, and the friendship mechanics carried on from SwSh. The random crits/focus band mechanics especially comes off as more annoying/unfair than it is cute. I wish there was a way to stop the friendship at a certain point so this doesn’t occur (I.e not letting Pokémon follow you, idk). I also wish the follow mechanics were more tight like they were in HGSS. Pokémon always getting caught on walls or going much slower than you is visually annoying.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Out of interest, is the Manaphy Egg shiny-locked in BDSP? I know they fixed the glitch that lets you trade it to someone else and bypass the shiny check a couple of games back, just curious if it can hatch shiny here.

Out of interest, is the Manaphy Egg shiny-locked in BDSP? I know they fixed the glitch that lets you trade it to someone else and bypass the shiny check a couple of games back, just curious if it can hatch shiny here.
I believe this means it will never be shiny.

This has been happening pretty quickly but if you haven't been keeping up, the potential skips in this game could almost rival Gen 1 at this point with their ease. I wonder how much of this ILCA will get around to fixing in the next patch. Cloning I can see being a priority, but I don't know about the rest of these glitches that all stem off menu weirdness.

Top tip for anyone daunted by the sphere costs of underground items: just buy dozens of each pedestal for sale at the Veilstone Department Store (1000 each) and sell them to the Hiker merchants. You get 7 spheres each for the XS size and 12 for the Medium ones.

For maximum efficiency obviously only buy the XS size for the varieties that aren't available in Medium.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)