Pokémon GO

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Bad RNG, reports do coincide with the standard shiny rate of before.

Everything else was normal as far as I know; good news for the rest of the events. Europe in 3 hours!

It's the same. Only 2 shinies in the end, while last time I got 8, although admittedly I started 30 minutes late with a problem with phone earlier. At least, thankfully the catch rate is raised (only for the duration though, after the 3 hours, I see they have atrocious catch rate again), enabling me to catch things quickly. I got around 250k EXP with 5 Lucky Eggs, not a very good investment compared to evolving fodders, although not bad either....

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Finished today's community day with only one shiny that was probably in the 70-82% range and with a stardust of 4500 and evolved it so it now has CP of 1975. Good thing I saved some weather boosted ivysaurs to evolve for frenzy plant since we only had windy weather here this afternoon. My guess is Venusaur will see action again in regirock raids or any level 3 raids where grass moves are supreme against the likes of omastar and company.

OM! my best Mewtwo out of 5 is at 82% with CP of 2230, 15 in attack but either 11/11 or 10/12 in HP & defense. I'll probably power it up someday once things get so tight. I've maxed out my item storage at 1500 and recently cut down on the max revives I had since I don't seem to have an issue with running out of revives and potions at this time. My current lugia team is usually 4 tyranitars, a raikou & either a rayquaza or dragonite.

Edit: I went ahead and powered my Mewtwo up to level 32 for now which puts it at CP 3457 making it my 9th highest CP pokemon for now behind a groudon, 4 tyranitars & 3 dragonites. Awhile ago I purposely evolved a lower level Slaking so it wouldn't clutter up my highest CP pokemon so I'm glad I did that.

Last edited:
my Shiny I evolved turned out to be 80%. i got 4 in total, so similar to dratini, but got one on the 3rd bulba, then nothing until the last hour.

funny thing was I evolved a Bulbasaur early on during the event, looking through my collection found a max attack one to evolve for the move.. 87% level 12 15/13/11... and the last good IVed Bulba I caught? level 17 87% 15/13/11 lol, did stumble across a 100% level 30 swablu though :D

https://serebii.net

Serebii has confirmed mythical Pokemon will be coming to Pokemon Go. A new feature called stamps will be introduced. By completing tasks ( Raid battles, catching certain Pokemon, and visiting Pokestops etc. ) you can earn prizes, such as rare candy, dust XP, or most importantly mythical Pokemon like Mew.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
I'm assuming most of us have been made aware of this earlier this morning but let's compile more comprehensive info:

Pokémon Research aka Quests

1. The first big takeaway from this is the introduction of Mew. The specifics to when and how Mew will be accessible to the playerbase remain a mystery until the update rolls out, but it sets the precedent for what Mythicals might go through in Go. Celebi and Jirachi to follow is a reasonable assumption down the line. The Gen 1 Dex being finished is in sight.

2. There are two types of research:

- Field Research is the quest-based system based on completing certain objectives (Catch 2 Dragon-types, or Transfer 5 Pokémon as examples) and can be obtained through spinning stops; furthermore, it seems you can delete quests. You can simultaneously do three quests at any given time, and there is seemingly no limit to how many you can do in a day. You can rewards upon completion of the quests; naturally, the harder the quest, the bigger the win (Known rewards: Potions, Rare Candies, TMs).

The important part here stems from Stamps. You can earn one Stamp per day by completing at least one Field Research task and when you obtain seven stamps, you obtain a Research Breakthrough which gives you big rewards and a potential encounter with a Legendary Pokémon. Again, nothing clear so far but this could be big for more rural / solo players to obtain these otherwise inaccessible beasts. All in all, this is very similar to the 7-day streak we've been exposed to with Spins / Catches, only it appears to be non-cumulative (e.g. do a quest Monday, and then do one on Wednesday and it stacks as 2 stamps).

- Special Research is the second type of Research, which is given to you by Professor Willow himself. The specifics to this are mostly unknown but seem to take characteristics from the Field Research (quests). This is where Mew probably ties in.

You get some EXP for each quest you complete, as well.

3. The official Pokémon Twitter has stated the release of this quest system to take place on March 30. Just 4 days to go!

New outfits for you Gym Leaders, unlockable by Gym Leader medal of defending gym and little sum of PokeCoins.

Anyway, only the Valor ones are the well-designed outfit, since red and yellow matches quite nicely and with the pose the trainers show off makes it look like Houen's Ace Trainers. Other than that, Blue and Orange? Yellow and Green? Who designed these?

I think I'll stick with this 2 years old original outfit. It's good thing the originals look nice enough as a (customisable) Elite Trainer.

not spending coins on outfits... and anyway, I want a dragon tamer outfit given how the game likes to give me 100% IV dragons... 4x dragonite, 1 swablu and a Rayquaza lol

Expert Evan

Recently I was down to exactly 0 coins after spending 480 on the special box which contained incense, 3 incubators and 5 star pieces which so far I strategically used when I was hatching 3 10k eggs at once, which I believe my highest egg yielded just under 10000 in stardust though strangely 1 of them was barely under 5000 forgot which one. I know my hatches included 2 ralts and forgot the 3rd one already.

I'll be curious about this new Research thing, would like to get Mew at least or another chance at a legendary not seen in raid battles for quite some time, especially another Raikou since I only got one good one last fall.

Expert Evan

The mareep species is rare enough to merit its place on community day so it makes sense for those lacking it in their pokedex. I'll be more curious what charge move it will get, maybe Thunderbolt or something more reliable compared to Zap Cannon, Thunder or even Focus Blast which GamePress currently rates it a 2/5 which is quite poor for an otherwise great pokemon. I loved how Frenzy Plant made Venusaur a more reliable 2-bar grass attacker which can come handy in Omastar or similar raids others would like to solo at.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
It's cool but not breaking any prizes. Ampharos really doesn't learn anything special and most of the relevant Electric moves are coded in Go; Jolteon is also common and has a lower candy cost / accessibility than Ampharos even with a CD (without even mentioning Zapdos / Raikou) so I'm afraid it's just not gonna be meta-relevant short of something like Electro Ball being a signature move for it or something.

The shiny is really nice tho!

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
It's cool but not breaking any prizes. Ampharos really doesn't learn anything special and most of the relevant Electric moves are coded in Go; Jolteon is also common and has a lower candy cost / accessibility than Ampharos even with a CD (without even mentioning Zapdos / Raikou) so I'm afraid it's just not gonna be meta-relevant short of something like Electro Ball being a signature move for it or something.

The shiny is really nice tho!
Don’t forget... they may surprise us and give us a Quick Move, which could arguably be more important. I hope we get something cool.

Quoting the in-game news, "Put those Charged TMs away, Trainers!". Highly likely that we're going to get an exclusive charged move as per previous Community Days but nonetheless hoping for a nice surprise. Ampharos is one of my favorite Pokémon so it's unfortunate that it's not really meta-relevant.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Quoting the in-game news, "Put those Charged TMs away, Trainers!". Highly likely that we're going to get an exclusive charged move as per previous Community Days but nonetheless hoping for a nice surprise. Ampharos is one of my favorite Pokémon so it's unfortunate that it's not really meta-relevant.
I understand, but that’s because they wouldn’t spoil it, I meant both charged and quick moves.

Also, that’s not completely true... it was mentioned and may be a surprise down the line.
42F2A775-BAC6-497B-A1F0-0F4BE9421633.png

Is it Meta-relevant? I think once Megas are released it will be... competing with Zekrom, that is. Exact same Typing with no additional requirements.

Last edited:
Probably because you wont be able to teach the exclusive move with them, not because it would be a Fast move

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Probably because you wont be able to teach the exclusive move with them, not because it would be a Fast move
I think he agrees with you, he is saying the fact it’s a specific mention of just the Charged TM, so that must mean it won’t be a Fast Move, as they omitted Fast TM.
You actually agree, and must have thought he meant that it it would be a Fast Move because they only said a Charged TM won’t work.
TLDR- You are both in sync, and probably meant to quote me and say that because my image was from the Dragon Community Day, and so far no exclusive Quick Moves for Community Day have ever occurred, the likelihood of an exclusive Quick Move is low.

it is up... would be nice if they put decent rewards in.. i'm almost dead on potions because of removing spoofers (again.. reported these a year ago.. seriously..), only get one purple per gym.. not had a single quest for a single potion, had berries, revives, and balls... not potions

Expert Evan

these little challenges are getting a little addictive as it was a challenge for me to get a streak of up to 3 or 5 greats in a row, ended up tossing them at a nidorino. I noticed I could never get a nice/great/excellent on a castform so I had to avoid those certain pokemon. While I haven't had a bonus pokemon run on me, I had a few that broke out of pokeballs at least once so I'm wondering if there's any risk when eventually facing a legendary or even a Mew that it could run hopefully not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)