ORAS Ubers Pepper Steak- An HO Team ft. Mega Gengar

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
8-bit here with a brand new Hyper Offense team! I wanted to take a break from building balance, and I was sick and tired of using Mega Salamence or Diancie all of the time. Then ApplepieFTW mentioned how Protect Mega Gengar functions as an Ekiller check and I was inspired. Mega Gengar has been forgotten about in ORAS, but it still an S-Ranked Pokemon capable of tearing apart unprepared teams. I also wanted to try out Primal Kyogre, and this team let me do both. I find this team incredibly fun to use, and is quite easy to pick up. The team does lack Defog, so if SR comes up on your side, the only way you’re getting rid of it is by forcing your opponent to Defog for you. Nevertheless, the team performs quite well. I don’t have much patience for laddering so you’ll never see a great peak that I managed, but I have played with this team in room tours and on the ladder on various alts have been generally successful.

The team members are named after characters from the French indie RPG OFF, which is a fantastic game. Go play it. The title of the RMT is the same name as the main battle theme in OFF, as well.

I started off with Mega Gengar. He was one of my favorite Pokemon to use back in XY, and anyone who played it knows about the Gengarite and Shadow Tag suspects (admittedly, the latter was probably more about Gothitelle) and how divisive they were. Mega Gengar was one of the most powerful Pokemon in XY, but is often glossed over this time around, and considered by some to be "mediocre." I did not agree with that and set out to build at least a halfway decent team that illustrates the fact that Mega Gengar is still incredibly potent.

This is a popular XY core, with Shadow Tag + U-Turn always being extremely effective. Yveltal is also an underrated Pokemon with massive offensive capabilities. Basically, Yveltal takes advantage of the ability to U-Turn out of a threat and allow Mega Gengar to come in relatively safely. From there, Mega Gengar traps and eliminates said threat. Yveltal also is just a nuke on its own, punching holes in the team and allowing EKiller to clean late-game.

This was sort of a no-brainer. Primal Groudon is arguably the best Pokemon in the game right now, with its beneficial combination of types, stats, ability and movepool. I needed a Stealth Rocker as well as a powerful offensive presence and something that could absorb Paralysis and Burn. This made Primal Groudon the obvious choice. I opted for and Offensive Stealth Rock set over the Specially Defensive one, as this is an HO team and SDef PDon is sort of a momentum killer. I also use nearly the same moves on both sets, so I just decided to use the offensive version. Not much to say about that.

My team, while solid so far, lacked a way to actually sweep or clean up a match. I was also missing an Arceus form. The obvious choice was to use EKiller, the best friend of HO. Instead of Shadow Claw, I went for Stone Edge, as Mega Salamence was pretty threatening to me, and Stone Edge allowed me to hit it for far more than Extreme Speed. Not much to say about this either, other than the fact that it's a god, literally and figuratively. I guess it's also my win condition, if I had to assign that title to something on my team.

At this point I realized I had nothing to take Sleep with. Sleep Talk + 3 attacks Primal Kyogre was becoming really popular, and POgre was something I always wanted to try but never got around to. Plus, it looks freaking beautiful (like seriously, that's a great shade of blue oo). POgre wound up being an invaluable team member, and actually fuctions as a decent check to offensive PDon, as Ice Beam does enough damage to deter Primal Groudon switching in. use this thing more

By this time I had an answer to all of the major status conditions (except for our lord freeze, but Ice in Ubers lol) with a certain Pokemon (Mega Gengar=Poison, PDon=Burn/Paralysis, POgre=Sleep,) but nothing to heal my team of status as a whole. I was also missing a Fairy-type and a secondary cleaner. Geomancy + Aromatherapy Xerneas was also becoming popular (It was around in XY, but less so due to the fact that running three coverage moves was too good to pass up, and somewhat necessary,) so I put it on. I was extremely satisfied with how it fit onto my team.

This was my final product, and I felt that it was a solid HO team that could successfully pressure Defog and gain momentum very quickly.

Team Preview

In-Depth Analysis

The Judge (Gengar) (M) @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball / Icy Wind

This is the whole reason I built the team. Mega Gengar is still an incredibly threatening force, doing massive damage to most of the tier with its excellent dual STABs. Protect is the crux of the set, and allows me to safely mega evolve against EKiller Arceus. Then I can Destiny Bond on it and take it out, preventing it from denting my team any further. Destiny Bond can take a mon down with Mega Gengar, not much to say about that. Sludge Wave is your standard STAB, and hits Xerneas for super-effective damage, as well as hitting neutral targets for solid damage. Shadow ball bops the Lati twins (although I wouldn’t advise using it over Destiny Bond on them, as Psyshock OHKOes) and hits Primal Groudon for nice damage, as it resists Sludge Wave. Alternatively, Icy Wind could be used to limit Deoxys to one hazard, and has a 50% chance to OHKO 80 HP Mega Mence and an 81% chance to OHKO 0 HP Mega Mence. However, your only option against Primal Groudon becomes Destiny Bond or switching. Overall it’s a great mon and is way more fun to use than OP croissant Mega Salamence.
Other Options
-If you just want to creep EKiller and aren't concerned about other MGar or unevolved Mewtwo/Mega Mewtwo X, an EV spread of 80 HP/252 SpA/176 Spe with a Timid Nature could be used. I believe this lets you take a +2 Xerneas Moonblast without dying, which is nice.

big image for big threat

Japhet (Yveltal) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Mild Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch

Life Orb Yveltal is one of the best mons in the game right now, and is severely underrated. U-Turn is my pivoting move and lets me bring in Mega Gengar, which is the whole reason I use the move. Dark Pulse is your most powerful STAB, OHKOing Giratina-Origin and the like. Oblivion Wing restores HP and is good for healing off some of that Life Orb damage, as well as doing massive damage to any Xerneas that decide to switch in. Yveltal wields the strongest Sucker Punch in the game, and uses it to OHKO Mega Mewtwo Y, the Lati twins, and finish off weakened mons or deal some damage to a +2 Xerneas before dying. Very few things enjoy coming in on Yveltal, as its sheer power is incredible, and Yveltal often finds an opportunity to wreck some shop. However, it is SR weak and on a team with no Defog, and although Oblivion Wing can heal off some of that damage, it can’t come in if rocks are up if it’s below 25% health. The EVs let you outspeed fully invested Adamant Rayquaza.
Other Options
-Heat Wave over U-Turn or Dark Pulse is certainly an option, dealing Klefki, who otherwise likes to come in on Yveltal with relative impunity, big super-effective damage.
-Knock Off over either U-Turn or dark Pulse, as well as editing your spread to 252 Atk/32 SpA/224 Spe lets you hit Ho-Oh for solid damage, as well as giving you a far more powerful Sucker Punch. However, this does come at the cost of a significantly weaker Oblivion Wing Or Dark Pulse (If you replace U-Turn.)

upload_2015-3-8_13-28-2.png

Dedan (Groudon) @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Atk / 56 Def / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Punch

By now it should be apparent to everyone that Primal Groudon is arguably the best Pokemon in the game right now. Offensive Stealth Rock Primal Groudon is superb, with the best possible mixture of bulk, power, and moves. Stealth Rock is your hazard, dealing chip damage to Pokemon who try to switch in, and can make or break games. Earthquake was chosen over Precipice Blades because I prefer accuracy over power, and it still hits like a truck anyways. Dragon Tail is hilariously good, dealing quite a bit of damage to Giratina-O, Mega Salamence, and the Lati Twins who try to come in. It also phazes EKiller who think setting up on PDon is a smart idea. Fire Punch is my other STAB, blasting Mega Scizor, Genesect, and Ferrothorn, among others. It also allows me to hit Yveltal. I had previously considered Stone Edge, but I didn’t feel comfortable with it and find Fire Punch to be more enjoyable (Ho-Oh also gets phased by Dragon Tail, allowing me to switch into something better before it can come in again.) The EV spread is super funky, and lets PDon survive a +2 Earthquake from Jolly Life Orb EKiller from full health without rocks. It’s kind of niche, but it can save my ass in certain situations, such as when I don’t have Mega Gengar evolved yet. The Attack lets me 2HKO something (I forget what, I’ll have to calc it later) with EQ 100% of the time. 20 Speed is just for creep.
Other Options
-Stone Edge over Fire Punch is probably your best bet if you want to switch moves. Although i personallly prefer Fire Punch, Stone Edge does OHKO Ho-Oh and hits Mega Salamence for significantly more damage. However, there is a "20%" chance of missing Stone Edge, so be wary.
-Precipice Blades over Earthquake is just if you're a power-hungry monster who likes missing. In all seriousness, Precipice Blades is along the same lines as Stone Edge: More power in exchange for a "15%" miss chance.

upload_2015-3-8_13-27-45.png

The Batter (Arceus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed
- Stone Edge

EKiller is such a good mon. It acts as my cleaner, picking off weakened Pokemon late in the game, or it can SD mid-game and decimate teams before dying. Swords Dance it standard, doubling your attack and making you hit like a nuke. Arceus also finds many opportunities to SD in a match, which is good. Extreme Speed is standard STAB, with +2 priority. It can OHKO or 2HKO virtually all of the tier after an SD, and is the go-to move. Earthquake hits things like Klefki, Primal Groudon, and Dialga, who wither resist or don’t take enough damage from ESpeed. Stone Edge is a new metagame trend, OHKOing(?) Mega Salamence at +1.5. it also hits Ho-Oh and Yveltal for more damage than ESpeed, and hits Lugia for more than Shadow Claw would have. The EVs are standard, max Speed and Attack for maximum damage output and the ability to speed tie with other Jolly Ekiller, as well as always outspeeding 176+ Speed Mega Salamence. The 4 Defense gives Genesect a Special Attack boost instead of an Attack one. Not much else to say here, although it does miss out on hitting Giratina-O with Shadow Claw.

upload_2015-3-8_13-27-13.png

Enoch (Kyogre) @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Primal Kyogre was another thing I wanted to try out, but never found the opportunity to. This thing is ridiculously powerful, and people always seem to forget that having Primal Groudon on your team does not mean that you beat Primal Kyogre, and so make a team where 4 or 5 mons outright lose to the whale. Sleep Talk is another new metagame trend, giving you a sleep absorber and therefore a way to help with Darkrai, who threatens many a team. Origin Pulse is your STAB, and is a Hydro Pump with better accuracy. Origin Pulse also deals massive damage to most of the tier, OHKOing Ho-Oh, Pdon without sun, Mega Diancie, and genesect, among others. Ice Beam OHKOes Mega Salamence and Rayquaza and is generally good coverage. Ice Beam also hits Primal Groudon who try to switch in, and 3HKOes offensive PDon at worst, which is huge. Thunder exists almost solely for hitting other POgre, and also becomes your best bet against Yveltal if your rain disappears for some reason. The EVs were taken straight from the dex, with 84 Speed outspeeding uninvested base 100s(?) Primal Kyogre is another severely underrated and incredibly powerful threat that should be taken into consideration when building your team.

upload_2015-3-7_17-19-26.png

Special blue background for special blue mon
The Queen (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 184 HP / 28 Def / 248 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Focus Blast

Ah, GeoXern. You make many a user rage about how Xerneas is OP and deserves a ban. How I love you. Sentiment aside, Geomancy Xerneas remains one of the most ridiculously powerful sets in the history of Pokemon. With a Power Herb, you double your Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed in one turn. Not only that, but Xerneas’ Fairy Type makes it immune to Dragon tail, and with Circle Throw nonexistent and Roar/Whirlwind only very rarely appearing (the latter is usually only seen on Lugia and Defensive Ho-Oh,) Xerneas usually keeps those boosts until it gets KOed. Moonblast is your STAB, with an insane 190 BP after STAB and Fairy Aura, and is an excellent neutral coverage move. Most of the tier, bar Ho-Oh, Lugia and some fully invested specially defensive mons, are either OHKOed or 2HKOed by Moonblast (the latter Pokemon are usually 2HKOed.) Aromatherapy is yet another metagame trend, letting you rid your whole team of status, and getting rid of any paralysis or Toxic poisoning Xerneas may incur. Focus Blast is your best bet against Primal Groudon, who resists Moonblast, and hits Ferrothorn as well (this is why Focus Blast is usually preferred over HP Ground, which also hits PDon for 120 BP.) Unfortunately, this leaves Xerneas unable to do much against Ho-Oh. It is advised to make sure Ho-Oh is either KOed or severely weakened before you Geomancy, as Ho-Oh threatens Xerneas immensely. Nevertheless, Xerneas is still one of the best Pokemon in the game, sitting at S-Rank.

The Judge (Gengar) (M) @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball

Japhet (Yveltal) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Mild Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch

Dedan (Groudon) @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Atk / 56 Def / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Punch

The Batter (Arceus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed
- Stone Edge

Enoch (Kyogre) @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

The Queen (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 184 HP / 28 Def / 248 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Geomancy
- Focus Blast

Advice is appreciated!
(I'm also editing the layout of this thread, it's gonna look sexay af when I'm done. I just like getting everything up before I go on, I'd rather focus on the team more than the layout)​

Last edited:

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
reserved for threatlist gonna edit in later

: Shuca Berry Dialga can certainly be a problem to my team. it survives the EQ from PDon and proceeds to decimate it with a powerful Draco Meteor. It also finds a few opportunities to set up SR (if it has it, which it should,) and nothing on my team likes taking a DM to the face (except Xerneas.) If Dialga doesn't carry Flash Cannon, then Xerneas is quite comfortable coming in on it and firing off a Focus Blast (I rarely ever Geomancy against Dialga because there's a chance of it packing Roar.) After it's at -2, however, it has to switch out or else it risks getting picked off by anything on my team. There's also very few bad matchups my team has vs. Dialga, I'd say, with Mega Gengar and POgre being the worst things to be on the field when Dialga comes out.

big burd ho-oh is also kind of scary to my team, but that is kind of hard to avoid as so many teams are ho-oh weak. However, my team doesn't give ho-oh many opportunities to come in and I can usually deal massive damage to it (hopefully it just dies to bb recoil after that)

Last edited:
Hey,
You could try to run Heat Wave Yveltal to KO Klefki on the switch, Kyogre weakenes PDon, and then you can sweep with Xerneas.

It is a very simple strategy that works.
Hope I gave you a cool idea :]

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey 8-BIT Luster,

Nice team. Shadow Tag + U-Turn has always been an effective strategy, and it seems pretty effective in ORAS- I do have a similar build of my own. I guess Ho-Oh is a threat here, though your team can pressure Defog nicely and also limits Ho-Oh to really coming in on Yveltal when it isn't using U-Turn; maybe Groudon as I'm not sure how much you outdamage Regenerator by with Dragon Tail without Stealth Rocks. Yveltal also seems quite threatening, and while I don't suppose it flat out wins it puts in quite a lot of work.

Personally with this build I attempted to work with a Knock Off Yveltal, which can bop Ho-Oh really hard. You would just switch Attack and Special Attack investments, so you also get a stronger Sucker Punch but your Oblivion Wing is weaker so its a bit of a trade-off. I think it could be beneficial just to bypass Ho-Oh with a bit of prior damage. Besides that, I'd run Calm Mind or Thunder Wave on Kyogre over Sleep Talk because it allows you to hurt Latias and Latios more (which deters Defog, indirectly helping against Ho-Oh), and also punish Yveltal a bit harder (Kyogre can maybe switch in, Thunder Wave/Calm Mind at least bypasses Sucker Punch so you play mindgames at worst and can pressure the opposing team a lot or cripple Yveltal at best). You end up weaker to Darkrai, but Aromatherapy Xerneas at least helps a little bit against it.

Good luck!

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
Thanks both of you guys!
Klefki is still a dick to take down no matter what, and I have used Heat Wave Yveltal before. Ill experiment with Heat Wave and Knock off and see how my team fares.

Ive also been thinking about Shuca Berry Stone Edge Dialga over perhaps Yveltal. Dialga lures in Ho-Oh relatively nicely and can eliminate it with SE. It also soft checks a few things that I'm worried about, but im not sure if its worth it to replace Yveltal.
Ill research more when I can use the computer.

If Shuca Dialga is a problem, i'd suggest running Focus Blast over shadow ball on Gengar. this gets a good chunk of damage off (252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dialga: 260-308 (76.2 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO), to the point where a little bit of prior damage can let you knock it out, or atleast you always put it in range where something else can.

Next, I'd suggest running Roar > dragon tail on P-don. yeah, it's cool to get some chip damage on stuff, but this makes you weaker to a xern after it sets up. On the other hand, roar totally screws it over, making it a lot easier for something like Gengar to kill it when it comes back in.

cool team tho! off was a really cool game :toast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)