Other OU Type Analysis Project: Week 1 - Grass-type

Status
Not open for further replies.
APPROVED BY HAUNTER AND SUBJECT 18

Hey guys, this is OU's Type Analysis Project! The aim of this project is to discuss and evaluate information regarding metagame trends, categorised into 18 weeks for the corresponding 18 types. After 18 weeks are over, we'll look back at the previous week of the upcoming type and compare the Pokemon of that type in terms of how they play in the metagame, what new trends have arisen, and what new sets they're commonly seen running.

Things I'd like people to discuss (and I'd like to see at least one, preferably more of these ideas featured in each post) are:
  • What are the most popular Pokemon of this type seen in OU?
  • What other Pokemon of this type also claim some sort of viability in OU?
  • What Pokemon of this type fill a niche in OU which is sometimes worth considering in a team?
  • What sorts of Pokemon does this type collectively threaten?
  • What sorts of Pokemon threaten many of the members of this type?
  • What sorts of metagame trends have occurred to the many Pokemon in this type?
  • What Pokemon of this type are very potent offensive threats?
  • What Pokemon of this type are very sturdy defensive threats?
  • How do these Pokemon compare to each other in their respective roles?
  • How strong do you feel this type is as a whole?
Note that I prefer for emphasis to be put on comparisons, not only between Pokemon but also between the stages of a metagame in which a Pokemon was used. How is it used now? What changed?

Week 1's type is the Grass-type:

(Note that discussion isn't limited to the above).

Some good starting points if the questions above are too broad include the recent favouring of Offensive Mega Venusaur over Defensive Mega Venusaur, the rise in popularity of Sash Breloom, the very low usage of the once-mighty Celebi and why it has become so rare, the niches of Mega Abomasnow, the walling potential of Chesnaught, and the recent decline of BirdSpam. I hope to see some good discussion going on!

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
The only thing Im going to say is offencive mega venu is know seen almost more commonly. The fact that it does huge damage to anything that can hurt it and wants to switch in is real good, I love offencive mega venu.

In every team I've made, I've used grass types as defensive pivots and niche pokemons. Depending on their secondary type, they can make either great physical or special pivots and more likely than not force a switch by a passive way (i.e. the opposing pokeon not carrying a coverage move or fearing a status). Grass types usually carry a status inducer move along some sort of support such as clear smog, leech seed, wish or even knock off to capitalize the swithes they force, making a switch a tricky play.

Offensively most of them are not really threatening, as grass type has a rather poor coverage, but you should always carry at least 1 grass move to deal with the annoying water/ground pokemons as well as Rotom-W. IMO offensively grass types are only effective when they catch your opponent off guard, switching your Ferrothorn on Tangrowth expecting a spore but taking an specs focus blast instead really hurts; but after that it's rather easy to chose which of your pokemon best counters the offensive grass type. Even the abilities most grass type have shows that they are more inclined to a defensive roll (regenerator, thick fat, iron barbs, natural cure). Some exceptions I can think of are Clorophyl Venusaur (5th gen sun sweeper), technician breloom and UU/NU stuff such as Roserade or Sceptile.

About some of the points mentioned:
Offensive Mega Venusaur over Defensive Mega Venusaur: Since most people were using M-Venusaur as an almighty wall, it is only natural to change it for an offensive mon and destroy potential switch ins.

The rise in popularity of Sash Breloom: Well, Breloom can severly cripple most leads with its dual stab and spore. Sash Breloom has always been a nice lead by either putting to sleep offensive threats or heavily damaging defensive leads and switch-ins

The very low usage of the once-mighty Celebi: Aegislash, Greninja, Talonflame, Specially defensive fairies, Mega Ttar...

The recent decline of BirdSpam: perhaps people overpreparing for it? being busy IRL so I haven't really checked OU trends.

If you watch Fairy Tail, you should know how plant related my name is v.v

Anyways, as previously mentioned, Offensive Mega Venusaur is now a used more and Breloom is gaining usage as Mega Venusaur's overall usage declines. Most Grass types in OU are usually pivots, walls, and support. The only Grass types used offensively in OU are Breloom and a Mega Venusaur (obvi the offensive variant) and in a way lesser extent, Mega Abomasnow.

Stall's use of grass types have a few uses for us. The first is the reason Celebi is almost never seen: Countering Aegislash. Most noticably, the defensive trio (Amoongus/Chesnaught/MVenu) are all set to take Aegislash rather well with their movepool. Celebi, Tangrowth and abomasnow can't really do that.

The second major point has been azumarill. While Chesnaught needs help and amoongus is boarderline, ferrothorn, Venu and Amoongus all handle azumarill pretty well. Tangrowth isn't bad but it can't take the BD set.

Independently, Chesnaught can take the general SandRush squads with relative ease, as well as him and Venu covering bisharp (to varying levels).

Rain teams are another terribly important part. Kabutops, Kingdra, even Mega sciozor and Politoed all need a good absorber. Amoongus is really good vs the special attackers but Chesnaught nearly flawlessly takes Kabutops not using Aerial Ace. Amoongus's Spore and Venu's Sleep Powder is generally a free disable, and chesnaught has his protect move to stall free turns out. Without their help, Stall can basically be devestated as quagsire and chansey aren't enough.

One last note about grass is how mandatory it is on defense right now for breloom. Every grass bar ferro and aboma is a good grass for loom, which just adds roles to the main three (venu/amoong/chesnaught). The powder immunity is key for multiple teams especially during this sash loom phase.

Grass is a nice defensive type. It does open you up to psychics and landorus in almost all viable cases, but the molding to take Aegi and Azum is impossibly useful. It's a very specific type with very specific niches, but what it takes is really needed. The type as a whole is pretty important defensively. Offensively, the only reason I ever even consider grass attacks is for stab, and I generally even forgo Chesnaught's grass stab.

Grass may suffer a huge decline in usage due to the fact talonflame can literally destroy everyone of the above pokes (maybe not tangrowth) 1v1. Although birds spam is less common now, talonflame's usage is 15 percent in May. Additionally the weather nerf is probably one of the worst things that happened to grass types it makes chlorophyll sweepers way less common, also grass types can't rely on rain support to cover its fire type weakness.

Offensively all I can think of is chlorophyll venasaur, mega venasaur and breloom, also the latter suffers from the nerd of technician low sweep. Plus sap sipper hates all over offensive grass types moves.

Defensively grass types are really good resisting ground is really nice and immunity to spores is great. Giga Drain and Horn Leech are good for Assault Vest users since you can still heal and they can check common water type moves. It also has access to a lot of good utility moves such as leech seed, spore, sleep powder etc. they also have access to decent abilities such as thick fat, technician, chlorophyll, regenerator, bulletproof etc.

Does Whimsicott deserve a mention since Fairy helps it a lot and priority taunt leech seed and encore is nice.

Last edited:
I can say without a doubt that the grass type is a very nice defensive type, even if it is the type with most weaknesses. M-Venu, Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, Chesnaught, all of those Grass-type have huge assets.

The first one is surely the best mixed wall we've ever seen, but kind of have a 4MSS, not being able to run Synthesis+Leech seed+Sleep powder+Sludge wave+giga drain+HP fire+EQ. Its incredible typing allows it to handle Breloom, being immune to Spore and resisting its STAB. It also resists the new Fairy-types, being the best check to M-Venu, and resists to the common Electric-type (Thundurus) while taking few damage from Fire- and Ice- (hp ice) Type moves, and from Knock off.

Tangrowth can be a great user of AV, with some good offensive options (namely Knock off, focus blast, giga drain), and an incredible ability (Regenerator) which is great using with AV

Talking about Amoonguss, it has the incredible typing of M-Venu, good defensive stats, the acurate Spore, and also has access to the usefull Regenerator. Stall used to build around a Tran+Venu+Skarm+Chansey+Quag or something like that. But then, Bulky ZardX rose in popularity and Amoonguss started to replace M-Venu in stall. It proves the great potential of the mushroom.

Then, we have Ferrothorn. A really good user of Spikes and Leech Seed, it usually has a place in more balanced teams, giving an incredible support, crippling the opponent with paralysis, or hitting hard with gyro ball given the set. Rocky Helmet+iron barbs is a great combo to wear down physical threats, in conjunction with leech seed.

Finally, Chesnaught is one of the best defensive pokemon against HO, with its unique ability it is immune to the common shadow ball. Resisting EdgeQuake is great, it is not set up bait thanks to a strong Wooder arm, and also has some way to wear down opponents thanks to leech seed/spiky shield. It can also support the team with Spikes.

In a word, most commonly seen Grass-type are defensive threats, and good pivot.
We can also remember that, at the beginning of the 6G, Gourgeist and Trevenant were very popular. Having the same typing, but totally different ability and stats, they both act as defensive threats, and anti-spin support (the first beating Excadrill easily, the second resisting to MBlastoise or Starmie and even Excadrill with the good investment). Moreover, Harvest is an incredible ability, with chestorest (as a status absorber) or with WoW+Leech seed+Sub, it can be really annoying.

However, Grass-type is not restricted to defensive abilities. Indeed, some Grass-type have a niche as strong offensive threat, namely Breloom. With spore, and two viable but totally different abilities, it is really unpredictable. Sets with SubPunch are not the most popular, but are still good. Technician is really good, and with sash it can definitively put to sleep one pokemon and then start the match at a 5vs6.

Breloom is not the only one, because as it was already mentioned, offensive M-Venu can be quite surprising, and do some unexpected kills. But one pokemon I want to draw attention on is Ludicolo, because with the power of Rain offense, it can succesfully sweep teams thanks to Swift swim. It has a good bulk, so with giga-drain it can be hard to take him down, making him even more threatening. Definitively, Ludicolo is a pokemon that deserve a mention in the Grass-Type thread.

Grass may suffer a huge decline in usage due to the fact talonflame can literally destroy everyone of the above pokes (maybe not tangrowth) 1v1. Although birds spam is less common now, talonflame's usage is 15 percent in May. Additionally the weather nerd makes chlorophyll sweepers way less common.
I don't get this logic.

It's literally "there's a common pokemon that can OHKO you, so this a problem for [type]."

Well this applies to everything.

Greninja is common, which is a problem for Lando-T, Garchomp, Keldeo, Terrakion, uhhhh everything it can outspeed and OHKO. Which is a lot of things. But it's not a crippling problem for those pokemon, cause Greninja is not that hard to handle.

Difference is that most grass types can't do as much damage to Talonflame even on a switch in and have unreliable moves to get by it (sleep powder) while talonflame comes in and OHKOs all of them

Tangrowth has Rock Slide, Talonflame takes quite a lot from Venu's Sludge Bomb, Amoonguss has Sludge Bomb, Foul Play and Spore. Breloom has Spore and Rock Tomb. Mega Obama's Blizzard is nearly a guaranteed OHKO. I don't even know what Celebi does but it has Psychic I guess.

So just Ferrothorn. But even then it has Thunder Wave. Chesnaught is borderline case cause it could run a sub set with Sub/Seed/Hammer Arm/Rock Slide|Stone Edge, but most people don't.

And of course, most of these mons have Leech Seed, which lets more things switch in to Talonflame (e.g. Mandibuzz can't switch in to Adamant Banded Talonflame when rocks are up, but if it's seeded it can.) Leech Seed+Recoil Damage adds up fast.

I said 1v1, and Talonflame can OHKO nearly all of the grass types save for Tangrowth are OHKOed.

Damage Calcs
Abomasnow
252+ SpA Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 211-250 (70.8 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
252+ Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 796-940 (207.2 - 244.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Mega Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 271-319 (90.9 - 107%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Mega Abomasnow: 672-792 (175 - 206.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Venusaur
252+ SpA Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 183-216 (61.4 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Venusaur: 368-434 (101 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 392-464 (107.6 - 127.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 210-247 (70.4 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I could go on but every single one of them save for tangrowth are quickly dispatched, although Talonflame might die of recoil it just sows that grass types can't do much without Talonflame there.

You said that Greninja is a problem for Keldeo, Garchomp etc, but note that they are not the same type, plus Greninja can't just KO Keldeo that easily without extrasensory, and Greninja needs to swap movesets to take down different mon's like Keldeo and stuff like Ferrothorn with the same move set of Scald/Ice Beam/Extrasensory/Dark Pulse. Additionally Mega Pinsir could just take down every single one of those mons as well.

I don't get this logic.

It's literally "there's a common pokemon that can OHKO you, so this a problem for [type]."

Well this applies to everything.

Greninja is common, which is a problem for Lando-T, Garchomp, Keldeo, Terrakion, uhhhh everything it can outspeed and OHKO. Which is a lot of things. But it's not a crippling problem for those pokemon, cause Greninja is not that hard to handle.
I said 1v1, and Talonflame can OHKO nearly all of the grass types save for Tangrowth are OHKOed.

You said that Greninja is a problem for Keldeo, Garchomp etc, but note that they are not the same type, plus Greninja can't just KO Keldeo that easily without extrasensory, and Greninja needs to swap movesets to take down different mon's like Keldeo and stuff like Ferrothorn with the same move set of Scald/Ice Beam/Extrasensory/Dark Pulse. Additionally Mega Pinsir could just take down every single one of those mons as well.
Furthermore, Greninja loses against any Scarf Lando-T, Garchomp, Keldeo or Terrakion and as LOStramer stated Greninja does not possess a threat to basically every relevant pokemon of certain type as Talonflame does.

Now to keep on grass typing discussion, what niche does Mega Abomasnow has? Are Hail teams a thing again?

Amazing thread idea.

The most Common Grass pokemon currently are Mega venusaur, Breloom, and ferrothorn, while Amoonguss has taken over on stall, as Stall likes having a grass type, while still having zard x available.

Chesnaught and tangrowth faces major competition from one another, with chesnaught having rock and dark resists, while tangrowth sports both knock off, and sleep powder.

Mega abomasnow is a decent wall breaker, but being an ice type hurts him a lot.

Not quite sure what celebi does.

Mega sceptile will prolly get a lot of play, but without base stats, I dont think we need to bring him up.

There are also niece pokemon like ludicolo, and roserade, but they are both mainly outclassed by other grass types, while ludicolo faces compitition from other rain sweepers, like kabutops, and kingdra.

To me Grass types in gen 6 put a spin on the classical political saying: "The Friend of my type is also my enemy". How many times a player using SashBreloom, a complete monster at best and a key saboteur at worst, end playing like they have 5 pokemons instead of six whenever the opponent uses Venusaur? Likewise, any other grass type being in play by the opponent would most likely lead to the same results.

That being said, Grass types in OU excel in walling popular sweepers, providing the corner stone of successful stall teams and being an excellent lead and support in offensive teams as well.

Grass types probably had the slowest start in Gen 6, with Mega Venusaur the first in gaining momentum when she was being deployed in the nascent stall teams alongside Chansey and Quagsire. Thick Fat along with respectably bulk has given it a legendary bulk and even a catch phrase "it just doesn't die". It doesn't hurt that it learns Sleep Powder and has Synthesis for a recovery move.

Breloom then resurged as a sash lead with a set focusing more on immediate power rather than setting up with Sword Dance like in the old days, with Rock Tomb ensuring that anyone that is not named Aegislash cannot switch in without paying dearly, and sometimes with clever use of Spore not even the Cumbler would enjoy his stay.

Ferrothorn was chosen later on as a companion of Mega Gyarados as thorny wall to its counters and then a respectable answer to OU offensive threats such as Azumarill and Rain Sweepers.

In the future (are we gonna call Omega/Alpha as XY2?) I think Mega Sceptile would lead the way into Grass's first real presence as an offensive threat, with the potential to wipe off clean Rotom-W from top 10 and Quag from even being used while also being able to tear through Thundrus, Tyranitar and Mega Gyradous.

Last edited:
Let's analysis things one at a time:
Firstly Breloom
Sash Lead is an amazing idea, mostly since it's a great counter to other common leads, Talonflame is OHKOed by technician boosted rock tomb, smeargle can't sleep it and is dispatched by two Mach punches limiting it to only one layer of hazards and restricting it from SmashPassing. Spore is great since Breloom is a fairly offensive poke and the turns of sleep it grants is an amazing advantage. Unfortunately the new sleep mechanics means that people can just switch out.

IMO I think that swords dance Breloom has faded away mostly because of the new sleep mechanics and the flying priorities, people no longer stay in on it any more since the sleep counter doesn't reset when they switch out.

Secondly Ferrothorn
Ferrothorn mainly remains as a physical / mixed wall, rocky helmet and lefties are really good on ferrothorn, it also resurfaced as somewhat offensive threat with 94 Atk stat and good stabs in Gyro Ball and Power Whip. Protect+Lefties+Leech seed extends its longliveity by a lot. And Rocky Helmet and Iron Barbs hurts a lot. But HP fires lurking everywhere still makes it hard for it to do its job too effectively.

Thirdly Venusaur
Normal Venusaur went way downhill since BW2, it's still one of the best chlorophyll sweepers around so people still use him sometimes. Mega venasaur on the other hand could emerge to be an offensive threat, I imagine a more bulky sweeper set because of his measly 80 speed, maybe a substitute attacker, since setting up isn't really it's expertise since it gets OHKOed by flying priorities and mega pins's return.

Basically gen 6 hasn't really be kind to all three of them, except by granting saur a mega evo, maybe XY2 (are we calling omega ruby and alpha sapphire that now) will be more kinder to the grass types.

!LONG POST!
  • What are the most popular Pokemon of this type seen in OU?

Hmm, the most popular Grass-type I've seen so far is Mega Venusaur, and for a very good reason. I've used Mega Venusaur quite a bit, with a ton of variations of movesets, it's very versatile. My favorite set has been Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb / Knock Off / Earthquake with a specialized EV spread that I will go into more in-depth later on. Mega Venusaur is very versatile, with the greatest moves in its arsenal including Knock Off, Synthesis, Sludge Bomb, Giga Drain, Earthquake, Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, and the lesser seen Roar. A very fun, yet somewhat outclassed set, is Swords Dance Mega Venusaur, which many dismiss as a nooby set, but with Power Whip, Earthquake, Knock Off, and Petal Blizzard (if you're worried about accuracy), it's far from it. It is somewhat outclassed by Bisharp, Garchomp, and DD Char-X, it certainly has its uses such as its unique typing, bulk, and consistent recovery, along with a surprise factor.

Breloom is also very popular, rising in usage everyday! It's a very great Pokemon with access to the coveted move Spore. It makes a great lead, with its Focus Sash set being amongst the most popular. It has powerful moves like Bullet Seed, Mach Punch, and Rock Tomb. In case you don't know, these moves are powerful because they're boosted by Technician, Breloom's ability. Breloom can also pull off a Poison Heal set, giving it constant recovery to set up Swords Dance or Bulk Up. My favorite set that isn't quite that popular is the Spore / Substitute / Focus Punch / Bullet Seed set, as this gives it a super powerful STAB move and the safety net of Substitute. Breloom is quite versatile and is an excellent choice for a team.

Ferrothorn was one of the most popular Pokemon last generation, as it was very good against Rain teams thanks to its unique resistances, and although Rain has died down a bit, Ferrothorn remains one of the greatest Pokemon in OU! It has a very useful typing, with resistances to Rock-, Water-, Grass-, Electric-, Psychic-, Normal-, Steel-, Dragon-, and Fairy-type resistances, that's eight resistances total! It also only has two weaknesses, Fire- and Fighting-type weaknesses, which are common, although Ferrothorn shouldn't attempt to stay in on these Pokemon. Ferrothorn brings very much support to its team in the form of Stealth Rock and Spikes, and can spread Leech Seed and Thunder Wave, which can also benefit your team. Ferrothorn packs a ton of synergy with it, and also has a great ability to ward away Physical attackers.

• What other Pokemon of this type also claim some sort of viability in OU?

Amoonguss is a Pokemon who also has access to the rare move Spore. Amoonguss can utilize this move to great effect, and is the bulkiest user of this move as well! Amoonguss also has access to an amazing ability in Regenerator, allowing it to be a great defensive pivot. Amoonguss has the same typing as Mega Venusaur, but don't let this fool you, Amoonguss is viable as well. Although I've never been particularly impressed by Amoonguss, it certainly has many positive traits, from Spore, to Regenerator, to its great bulk.

Chesnaught is a very great Pokemon, thanks to its high Defenses, and access to Spiky Shield, a move that can chip away at physical attackers in the same fashion as Iron Barbs. Chesnaught also has access to Spikes, which it can utilize to a great effect. Chesnaught is good on Stall teams, as Fighting-types on Stall are almost unheard of! But, Chesnaught has many great tools in its moveset such as Spikes, Leech Seed, Spiky Shield, and Synthesis. Chesnaught's ability also allows it to counter Aegislash, as it makes Chesnaught immune to Shadow Ball, only Flash Cannon can inflict serious damage. It also allows it to completely wall any Gengar lacking Sludge Wave, which can come in handy!

Tangrowth is a very versatile and useful Pokemon, with high Physical bulk and a wide array of moves like Knock Off, Power Whip, Giga Drain, Earthquake, and Focus Blast, which it can utilize very well. It also has Regenerator, like Amoonguss. Tangrowth can also use Rock Slide to catch incoming Talonflame's, something that not many other Grass-types can boast. Tangrowth has a lacking Special Defense, although this can be fixed by Assault Vest, a very common Tangrowth set. Tangrowth is also a pure Grass-type Pokemon, which is actually somewhat unique as far as viable Grass-types go! Tangrowth is very versatile and bulky!

Rotom-C is often outclassed by its appliance brothers, but Rotom-C does have a very powerful signature move in Leaf Storm, and a unique set of resistances. It has a very useful resistance in Water- and Electric-type attacks, which no other Rotom forme can boast. Rotom-C has a very usable Scarf set, which it can use to effectively cripple walls with Trick. Rotom-C is also the only Grass-type Pokemon to also have an Electric-typing. Although Rotom-C lacks the wide array of moves and support as other Grass-types, it is still a very unique and usable Grass-type in the OU Metagame!

Celebi has really fallen out of grace, finding its new home in UU this generation. Celebi is still of use in OU, as it can counter the ever popular Choice Specs Keldeo, which not many other Pokemon can say. Mega Venusaur does give it a lot of competition in this role, but Specially Defensive Celebi can claim to only be 3HKOed by Specs HP Flying, which Mega Venusaur can not. Celebi is still very versatile, with a ton of different sets and roles, such roles include Choice Scarf, Stealth Rock, Nasty Plot, Baton Pass, and Specially Defensive, amongst other sets I haven't listed! It has unique resistances in Fighting-, Grass-, Water-, Ground-, Electric-, and Psychic-type resistances, allowing it to have many opportune switch-ins. Although Celebi is not what it once was, it is still very usable.

Gourgeist has five forms (or four?), but it only has two usable forms, -XL and -Small, with -Small being the most popular form. The Small form has a high Speed stat, and thus a speedy Will-O-Wisp, which it is notorious for. It is also a fantastic Spinblocker, and is one of the two Grass / Ghost type Pokemon, and thus, gives it another great niche. It has immense physical bulk in -XL form, meaning it can handle most Physical attackers thanks to its great typing. It has a high Attack stat as well, with moves such as Shadow Sneak and Seed Bomb. It also can successfully utilize Destiny Bond, and not many Pokemon can really pull this off. Gourgeist is one of the best Leech Seed users as well.

• What Pokemon of this type fill a niche in OU which is sometimes worth considering in a team?

Whimsicott is a very unique Pokemon, and many often consider it a shitty gimmick. It is far from this, however, it has the ability Prankster, which is very great and uncommon. Whimsicott is very annoying with Leech Seed, which it can stall even the best of the best at times. It also gained a Fairy-typing this gen, and can use Moonblast to an extent to get off chip damage. It also is very fast, so it is not outspeed by other priority users, and it has access to many moves to abuse this with. This includes, but is not limited to, Memento, Leech Seed, Stun Spore, and Sunny Day. Whimsicott can also keep up momentum with U-turn, a particularly good move on Whimsicott. Despite its poor reputation and downfall, it is still a very usable Pokemon.

Shaymin is a Pokemon that is not seen often in the OU metagame, and it isn't hard to see why. It isn't particularly bulky, nor powerful, nor fast. It is put near the bottom of this list because it simply isn't amazing. However, it does have a niche in Seed Flare, which can inflict massive damage thanks to its high power and high chance to lower the opponent's Special Defense. It's access to moves such as Leech Seed, Air Slash, and Earth Power, also give it a usable niche to exploit, as it can muscle through Heatran, which threatens a lot of Grass-type Pokemon. Shaymin also has a niche in Rest + Natural Cure, which can provide it constant recovery and an immunity to status, if it switches. Shaymin may not be particularly great, but it definitely has reasons to be used.

Abomasnow-Mega is listed because it is used somewhat in OU, thanks to its extremely powerful Blizzard. Abomasnow has access to many moves, including Leech Seed, Focus Blast, Earthquake, Blizzard, Ice Shard, Giga Drain, and Rock Slide, which it can take advantage of. Abomasnow is just not very great, as it has a weakness to Stealth Rock and a super low Speed, meaning it will always be taking some hits before moving. It also takes a mega slot for offensively inclined Megas, which could be used instead for Mega Charizard or Mega Gyarados, just to name a few. Its bulk, while ///ok///, isn't great by any means. Although Abomasnow-Mega has flaws, it can be used with support in the OU metagame.

Roserade is very outclassed offensively by Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, and Breloom, while it is outclassed defensively by Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, and Amoonguss. Despite this, Roserade has uses in Technician Hidden Power, allowing it to choose from any type and make it 90 power, such as 90 base power Hidden Power Fire, Ground, and Ice, which can all be of use. It also has a unique combination of Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Sleep Powder, which it can use. Roserade has a high base Speed as well, as far as Defensive Grass-types go, so this can be taken advantage of. It also has a high Special Defense, which can be of use. Roserade is often outclassed, however, but still has reasons to be used.

Trevenant had a brief stint in OU during the beginning of this generation, as many people thought it was very good, which I did as well. However, Trevenant fell out of grace. As the metagame adapted, Trevenant was left in the dust. It still has many positive traits, such as Leech Seed, Trick Room, and Harvest. Trick Room in particular is cool, as it has a decent niche in this role. Trevenant is also one of two Grass / Ghost type Pokemon (bar Phantump and Pumkaboo), while also having a high Attack stat and Horn Leech to take advantage of. Trevenant has Will-O-Wisp as well, and not many Grass-types do. It has many niches, but it is exactly that, a niche.

Ludicolo is put at the bottom of this list because it isn't spectacular by any means. It requires Rain support to be of use, as its abilities (Rain Dish and Swift Swim) are only activated under Rain. It is outclassed often in the Swift Swim by Kabutops and Kingdra, but it does have a Grass-typing, and access to a variety of coverage options such as Focus Blast and Ice Beam. Its Grass-type STAB is also a reason of use. Rain Dish variants can play a Defensive role, but one has to wonder why you would use it over Mega Venusaur. It has reasons to be used, but just isn't the best of all to use in OU, and thus, it is put at the bottom of this list.
  • What sorts of Pokemon does this type collectively threaten?
Grass-type Pokemon threaten Water- and Ground-types mainly, as they resist these types and can threaten in return with their STAB moves. Rock-types can also be threatened, but they do not resist Rock-types in return, so they have to be wary. Many Grass-type Pokemon have a unique set of resistances thanks to their secondary typings (or primary typings, if Grass-type is their secondary), so they also can be based off of this. Many Pokemon of the Grass-type also carry the Poison-typing, or also have Poison-type moves, thus, Fairy-types are collectively threatened as well. A lot of Pokemon also have to be wary of Leech Seed, as killing Pokemon with Leech Seed can be a hassle at times! Many Fire-types can be stalled if played correctly, but this is very risky and is not recommended.
  • What sorts of Pokemon threaten many of the members of this type?
Flying-type Pokemon are Grass-types #1 enemy, as the Pokemon of this type resist Grass-type and have STAB moves to dispose of them in return quickly, such Pokemon include Talonflame, Pinsir-Mega, Staraptor, and Aerodactyl-Mega, amongst many other Flying-types. Fire-types, such as Charziard, Talonflame, and Heatran are also nightmares for Grass-types, as they often lack moves to effectively threaten these in return. Bug-types can be handled, but powerful ones such as Volcarona, Scizor, and Pinsir-Mega must be avoided, as they often carry moves that can effectively beat Grass-types. Scizor's U-turn in particular is extremely harsh, and can bring in even more counters. Finally, Ice-types must be avoided, such Ice-types include Kyurem-B, Mamoswine, and Greninja (Ice Beam + Protean) can all threaten with their STAB moves and must be played around carefully.
  • What sorts of metagame trends have occurred to the many Pokemon in this type?
I'm actually a tad unsure by what this is meaning, is it saying against or with these Pokemon? Either way, I'll discuss them. BirdSpam teams absolutely spell doom in huge letters and bold for Grass-types, as they cannot handle these sorts of teams well whatsoever. Another trend against them is the rise of Charizard and the prevalence of Ice-type coverage rising, with Charizard absolutely mauling Grass-types and Ice-type coverage users like Deoxys-S, Greninja, and Landorus all giving Grass-types a hard time. In return, though, Mega Venusaur has risen and fallen, but is currently rising. It has gone from S, to A+, to A, and finally back to A+ where it rightfully deserves. Amoonguss has also been becoming more popular, from what I've seen. Finally, Breloom saw a surge in usage and became much more popular and viable as the metagame adapted.
  • What Pokemon of this type are very potent offensive threats?

Mega Venusaur is a very potent offensive threat because it has a high SpA and workable Atk, while having a lot of bulk to allow it to pull on onslaughts. It has seen a very large rise since the beginning of the generation, which is always great! It has many coverage options such as Knock Off, Earthquake, and Hidden Power, which it can use to handle certain threats. It is great on balanced teams to be a sort of surprise. I've been running a spread of 40 Atk / 252 SAtk / 176 Spd / 40 HP with a Rash nature and the moves Knock Off / Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb / Earthquake to a great effect. Now, the EVs. 40 Atk allows Mega Venusaur to KO Latias after Stealth Rock with Knock Off (Knock Off with Item ----> Knock Off without Item for the KO after SR.), while the Speed EVs allow Mega Venusaur to outspeed Adamant 252 Bisharp. The SpA EVs are to maximize Giga Drain recovery and power. The rest of the EVs are allocated to HP for a tad of bulk, and luckily, they give it an odd number so it takes minimal Stealth Rock damage.

Breloom is very potent offensively, as I've already covered. However, I'll cover it once more! It has access to Spore, Technician, and many options. It can pull off a lure set with Hidden Power Ice, that is really only used by me haha, but it has taken out many of Gliscors when all else failed. Its Mach Punch is very powerful as well, and Breloom has the same Speed as Bisharp, allowing it to Speed tie with it if Bisharp does not run Jolly. Breloom is very powerful with Life Orb and Bullet Seed, with Technician boosting Bullet Seed's power to 37, meaning at all five hits, it hits for an astounding 185 damage, before STAB. And at the average, three, it hits for 111 damage. This also breaks sashes and substitutes. Breloom is very potent offensively and is one of the best offensive Grass-types!
  • What Pokemon of this type are very sturdy defensive threats?

Ferrothorn has exceptional bulk in 74 / 131 / 116, allowing it to take on a plethora of moves. It has a ton of excellent resistances as well, and a great ability to bring on some passive damage to physical attackers. It's a great user of Leech Seed and Thunder Wave. It also has very powerful STAB moves in Gyro Ball and Power Whip, so it isn't a total slouch, and backed by 94 Atk, they hit reasonably hard. Ferrothorn also has access to Stealth Rock and Spikes, allowing it to immensely support its teammates. Ferrothorn should be one of the first thoughts in your head if you want to use an extremely sturdy defensive Grass-type on your OU team!

Mega Venusaur is one of the greatest Defensive Grass-types as well, and was considered an unbreakable wall at the beginning of the generation. It has access to a powerful Giga Drain and Synthesis and Leech Seed to help it regain health, as it lacks Leftovers. Its greatest virtue is its ability, Thick Fat, which negates its weaknesses to Fire- and Ice-type moves, which is invaluable. Mega Venusaur is really the standard for Grass-types and is quite possible one of the best of all Grass-types, and thus makes an exceptional Grass-type to use on any team, really!
  • How do these Pokemon compare to each other in their respective roles?
All these Pokemon fulfill different roles, but they all have one common thing: Grass-type. And yes, its the title for hell's sake, but it is the thing that connects them all. All the offensive threats have access to one rare move, be it Spore, or Power Whip, or even Synthesis, they all have a unique niche. The better defensive Grass-types bring with them a lot of support, from hazards, to Leech Seed, to status, you name it! The lesser threats all share one thing, the outclassment, but small niches, which they all share. The ones at the top of my list are the ones that perform exceptionally better to the ones lower down in the list of their roles. Honestly, though, the Grass-type is so versatile and exceptional at a plethora of things!
  • How strong do you feel this type is as a whole?
I feel like Grass-types in general are actually extremely good, however, their STABs are resisted by many common types, and they are weak to many common types. However, they also have a set of very useful resistances, and actually have much more good Pokemon than they are often given credit for. I feel like they'd be so much better if they lacked a weakness to Fire-type moves, but this won't happen, so we'll have to make do. But, I still feel Grass-types are very good, but they have to be given credit for what they are, as many have more pros then cons.

Thus, this concludes my Grass-type analysis.

I am gonna do some history for Mega Venusaur :-D.
At the start of the generation 6, people had mixed feelings about MegaSaur. It had good mixed defenses and only 2 weaknesses. But, with Mega Kanga and Mega Gengar around, stall was difficult to use. However, the Venu-Tran core had been found and was popping up here and there. But, it really took over after Gengarite and Kangaskhanite were banned. MegaSaur walled many threats at that time, including Thundurus, Keldeo, Manaphy, Azumarill, Landorus Rotom-W etc. After the Lucarionite ban, stall teams became even more viable and MegaSaur moved to S rank in the viability rankings. But, then came the age of Bird HO. Moreover, the metagame adapted. Keldeo and Thundurus started running HP Flying. Manaphy and Landorus started running Psychic. Landorus popularity also made stall less viable. Kyurem-B became popular. All this led to drop in MegaSaur's usage. It fell to A rank. These days the offensive set is seeing popularity. It is a very good tank for bulky offense. This set has made MegaSaur again an A+ rank threat.

Gonna rip off s_aman, and do a little story time about breloom.

Breloom is often called the luckiest pokemon in the game, because of it being buffed everry generation.

In generation 3, it was often labeled a "one trick pony", because of it's low speed, and terrible defenses.

Then generaton 4 came around, and Breloom got an awesome gift in toxic heal, which protected it from status, while allowing it to more easily set up it's sub-punch set.

In generation 5, Breloom finally became the god we all know and love(hate), as the dream world gave it the ability that made Scizor 10 times better in gen 4, Technician.

This ability gave breloom the strongest priority in the game, mach punch, and the strongest attack overall, if bullet seed hits 5 times.

The rise of talonflame in gen 6 was called "the death of breloom",(they said the same about keldeo to tell you something) but when the hype finally died down, people saw that breloom was still awesome, and now had an awesome rock attack in rock tomb, which lowered speed in much the same way low sweep did in gen 5.

Despite an ever-changing metagame, breloom remains the golden standard of OU offense.

Grass may suffer a huge decline in usage due to the fact talonflame can literally destroy everyone of the above pokes (maybe not tangrowth) 1v1.
This train of logic is so prevalent on this site it should be a crime.

For starters, Talonflame, while dangerous, should always be prepared for. You don't do that by simply not using an entire poke. For that matter, there shouldn't be any reason why Talonflame is going against those mons 1v1. Grass types, especially the ones listed, are (usually) defensive mons. It's not meant to wall everything, it's meant to take on what it takes on. Furthermore, out of all the types, Grass types are some of the most dangerous mons to switch into, and the only thing that's a safe switch to a defensive Grass type...is another Grass type.

Bottom line, one Pokemon does not make an entire type decline.

Ice types are in a huge decline because they have a plethora of weaknesses, including one to Stealth Rock, and have no resistances to make up for it (hear that, Gamefreak?) Psychic types are hurting because many mons hold at least one of their weaknesses. Grass types aren't everyone's #1 choice because of their many weaknesses as well. Unlike the former two, Grass has many key resistances to common moves, enough support and disruptive moves to @#$% opponents over, and while their offensive typing isn't the best (at all), they are able to hurt a few key pokemon with their attacks. Enough to make holding on to at least one offensive Grass type attack beneficial.

It's great to start this project with Grass typing, since it's defensive niche is becoming more relevant.

Resists:
Water and Ground are popular typings, so a Grass poke comes in easily on a lot of top tier pokemon.
Offensive pokes should consider coverage moves against Grass pokes that would otherwise wall them. A Fire-type coverage move is still probably the most common choice, because Fire also hits super-effectively another highly defensive typing: Steel. I think this is the reason behind the great success of MegaVenusaur, that has also benefited Grass typing defensively: Offensive pokes are forced to diversify their coverage moves to get through a Grass-Steel defensive core.

So...could we summarize Grass type analysis with the next bullet points?
  • Mostly used as a defensive pivot because of their resistance to common types.
  • Although generally not offensive threatening, they force switches and are hard to switch in as they usually carry status moves that few pokemon appreciate.
  • Key players in stall teams due to a combination of resistances, move pool and abilities. Making them hard to kill while dealing passive damage to their opponents.
  • There are few but potent offensive grass types in OU (namely M-Venusaur, Breloom) which may not be able to pull a sweep this gen but do accomplish important tasks for their teams.
  • The best way to counter a grass type is with carry a grass type with fire coverage (unless you are dealing with M-Venusaur which needs psychic or flying coverage).
Is there going to be a second type analysis? I feel this thread is a bit quite now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)