OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

I'm running a relaxed Nature because I don't care much for out speeding Pokemon.
Something else to consider is a Relaxed nature used to be popular since you get the "slow U-turn" on enemy Landorus-T, which is a fairly common scenario. Now nearly every one runs HP Ice though, so you won't be able to duel with opposing ones as often. That's always my first thought when deciding on speed for one - will I need Lando to beat other Landos? If not, go for that slow U-turn because it can get you some nice momentum.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The Naive variant is the one better suited to the current state of the metagame, while the Adamant version is the original version.

Is a fully Defensive Starmie viable in this meta? Something like:

Starmie@ Lefties
Evs: 248 HP/?
Rapid Spin
Recover
Scald
Reflect type/Reflect/Toxic/IDK

It's the only spinner with reliable recovery (besides Cyrogonal), and has workable bulk (like Excadrill in Ubers). Also, what EVs would be good on it?

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Is a fully Defensive Starmie viable in this meta? Something like:

Starmie@ Lefties
Evs: 248 HP/?
Rapid Spin
Recover
Scald
Reflect type/Reflect/Toxic/IDK

It's the only spinner with reliable recovery (besides Cyrogonal), and has workable bulk (like Excadrill in Ubers). Also, what EVs would be good on it?
Yea, Defensive Starmie actually is quite good on the right team (it does really nicely in Sun) so it is definitely viable. For the EVs I think you would still want to outspeed base 110s so max HP Timid and enough speed to outspeed 110s with the rest into Def of Spd

Theres a bulky spinner set on-site which is rather good against stuff like keldeo and terakion. Good if you want a defensive spinner that can switch into status and take water attacks.

when x and y comes out i heard from some one that all the pokemon banned to ubers (ex landours i, genesect,excadrill) will be moved back down to OU is that true

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What are some good counters/lures for Ferrothron?
Counters include Fire types such as Heatran, Ninetales, Infernape, and Volcarona. Pokemon that carry Fire type moves for coverage, like HP Fire Celebi, Heat Wave Zapdos, and Fire Blast Garchomp are also pretty good choices. Xatu and Espeon can bounce back status and entry hazards, making them very nice switch ins, but Espeon has to be careful, as it gets 2HKOd by Gyro Ball and has very un-reliable recovery. Since Ferrothorn is often going to be switching into Water type attacks, getting a lucky burn with Scald can also really help to deal with Ferrothorn.

Hope this helped.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
when x and y comes out i heard from some one that all the pokemon banned to ubers (ex landours i, genesect,excadrill) will be moved back down to OU is that true
For the most part, yes. In generation 4, Mew, Salamence, Latios, Latias, and Garchomp were all previously Uber, but now are OU (Mew is even UU). With a new generation comes a completely different metagame, and we need to test every single Pokemon to see if they are still broken.

Okay thanks guys! Actually have another question that I forgot to include with my other one and that is what are some good Kingdra partners?

I personally like using Ice Punch Lucario with it, as it sets up on Kingdra's main counter (ferrothorn), as well as dispatching things like Amoonguss or Celebi. The obvious teammate is a Magnezone, as it can trap and eliminate Ferrothorn with ease. Basically, good partners include pokemon that can deal with bulky Grass and Water pokemon.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Lucario doesn't exactly "set up" on Ferrothorn - it absolutely hates taking a Thunder Wave, and Power Whip is going to hurt.

I disagree with the whole Ferrothorn-Lucario situation. It's just like Landorus-I VS almost anything, the penalties of them staying in is too great to outweigh the benefits of using thunder wave, as if they mispredict, they lose a counter to Kingdra, whereas if they predict right, Lucario still gets to hit something with a +2 CC. It isn't 50-50 is what I'm getting at.

Edit: Also, Power Whip and Gyro ball both do under 45% to Lucario, and it can easily wreck stuff at +2, as, hopefully, it won't take more damage, and it still has 6 turns of LO recoil left.

0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 102-121 (36.17 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 82-97 (29.07 - 34.39%) -- 5.37% chance to 3HKO

Last edited:
Thats still a hell of a lot of recoil damage. Iron Barbs+LO+ even maybe Rocky Helmet+Gyro ball damage. And with the drop, something like scizor or d nite can revenge with bp or e speed reapectivelu.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
When they get released, we will accept them into the competitive scene. But all those that are not out now will probably not be out for some time, maybe some time during Gen 6.

I haven't played much at all since the end of Gen 4 - completely skipped Black. I realize the metagame has changed completely, but with the release of XY, should I bother moving any Pokemon over from my old games? Or are all the old standards pretty useless at this point?

Really this is an overly general question, but I'm not sure if DW abilities, new egg moves, etc. have affected literally every pokemon, or if some still work without them.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
I haven't played much at all since the end of Gen 4 - completely skipped Black. I realize the metagame has changed completely, but with the release of XY, should I bother moving any Pokemon over from my old games? Or are all the old standards pretty useless at this point?

Really this is an overly general question, but I'm not sure if DW abilities, new egg moves, etc. have affected literally every pokemon, or if some still work without them.
Erm, I guess a few Pokemon have stayed the same, like Choice Banded Scizor, Choice Scarf Tyranitar, Swords Dance Lucario, Cleric Blissey etc, but generally the whole metagame has changed. There are a few select Pokemon I guess, but most of the old standards have changed.

What are some good counters/lures for Ferrothron?
Forretress with pain split is also one of the best counters to ferrothorn. Using him as hazard bait and spinning his hazards. Pain split will help with the gradual damage caused by iron barbs and sr and will help him switch into ferro countless times. But if you want something to just eliminate ferro, substitute magnezone is your best bet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)