OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

could someone give me an ev spread for the DPP Chain Chomp
Garchomp @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 SAtk / 240 Spd / 16 Atk
Naughty Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Very basic: Lots of SAtk and enough speed to outpace neutral base 100. If you do not aim for the base 100, you will outpace Heatrans with 160 EVs in speed. If more speed is needed, you will use a Naive nature.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Is there a good physical wall that resists fighting?
Yes. Gliscor, Landorus-T, Jellicent, Cresselia, Zapdos, Slowbro, Celebi, and Tentacruel are all support / psychical walls that resist Fighting type attacks. Skarmory, Hippowdon, and Forretress are also extremely sturdy walls tat are generally very good at taking on Fighting types (even though they don't resist Fighting type attacks).

Is there a good physical wall that resists fighting?
Landorus-T is a popular one, which gets Stealth Rock to support your team and U-turn to get you momentum off Pokemon locked in to their fighting moves. Not only does it resist fighting, but it has Intimidate to lower their attack incase they try to sneak a coverage move in there. This helps it even take attacks it doesn't resist, like Outrages from Dragon-types. Unfortunately, it's 4x weak to ice, so things like Toxicroak or Lucario could catch you with an Ice Punch on the switch. Gliscor, his less loved brother, shares the same typing but serves a more specific role for your team you'd have to look into.

Slowbro also has great physical bulk and resists fighting, but is very stall orient with status + self healing being the most it can do with a defensive set. Cresselia also works for a very defensive role, getting Reflect to increase its physical bulk and Lunar Dance to support its teammates. You could also go the route of using bulky attackers ilke Reuniclus or that defensive Toxicroak spread who can then set up on fighting type attacks.

EDIT: Boo Starmie why did you edit your post to include all of my things :<

Last edited:

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
I'm looking at building a team around Heracross: any suggestions for good partners in an offensive core?
Also, some advice on which set is more viable in OU: Sub+ 3 attacks or the All-Out attacker set?
Thanks in advance!
I made a team that had an offensive core or Cb Guts sleep talk Heracross+SubSD Terrakion. Not only does Heracross bring in things that terrakion doesnt like (Skarm, LandoT, Hippo, etc) and then weakens them with it's own cc it makes a nice offensive check to Breloom which is used to check terrakion. Heracross can take spore and boost its attack via guts then use sleep talk to attack while sleeping, it also resists loom's stabs. Sleep talk picking the wrong move isn't veen all that bad because guts CB adamant will hurt regardless.

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Guts Heracross Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 172 Def Landorus-T: 143-168 (37.53 - 44.09%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Terrakion appreciates its counters+checks being worn down so it can sweep later on.

The only set I would ever run on cross in ou is cb, although i havent tried sub+3 attacks or all out attacking (which i am assuming is LO or something).

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Landorus-T is a popular one, which gets Stealth Rock to support your team and U-turn to get you momentum off Pokemon locked in to their fighting moves. Not only does it resist fighting, but it has Intimidate to lower their attack incase they try to sneak a coverage move in there. This helps it even take attacks it doesn't resist, like Outrages from Dragon-types. Unfortunately, it's 4x weak to ice, so things like Toxicroak or Lucario could catch you with an Ice Punch on the switch. Gliscor, his less loved brother, shares the same typing but serves a more specific role for your team you'd have to look into.

Slowbro also has great physical bulk and resists fighting, but is very stall orient with status + self healing being the most it can do with a defensive set. Cresselia also works for a very defensive role, getting Reflect to increase its physical bulk and Lunar Dance to support its teammates. You could also go the route of using bulky attackers ilke Reuniclus or that defensive Toxicroak spread who can then set up on fighting type attacks.

EDIT: Boo Starmie why did you edit your post to include all of my things :<
Because I felt like my post was really lazy and you made some great suggestions 9.9

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think he means how are the first tiers that are used before any tier changes come to be. I take it that it'd just begin with a pool of bans and then everything else not in Ubers are all in one category and then slowly the tiers make themselves.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The lower tiers simply won't exist for the first month (or they may simply continue using the gen V tier list), and then each tier will be updated after that first month is over. I believe that's how it worked this gen and it it presumably what will happen next gen as well.

What is the optimal bulky gyardos spread? I know that there is an on-site one but i have heard that there is a bettter one

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if this is the best place for these questions but...

I always been interested on tournament play, but I never join/participate because I'm not really all that good and I think I'll like to join up for some gen 6 tours when I get better. Anyways my questions are, is there a reason why the Smogon Tour plays on PO/Groudon's Grotto instead of PS? Also for next gen, will the tour use the last 4 gens or will gen 3 be removed from the tour?

Edit: Thanks for the answer PDC

Last edited:

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Many bugs are in Gen 3 on PS, and I believe some are in Gen 4. Overall it is just more organized and trusted for serious tournaments like these than PS is. You can also Disallow Specs, which is pretty big. Next year I believe we are doing 6/5/4, but with a separate tournament for 3/2/1.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Not anywhere near as good as in Gen 5. Moltres would lack Hurricane and weather support, making it much less reliable. A Fire Blast + Air Slash + HP Ground combination would be cool, but it would be nowhere near as powerful as a FBlast + Hurricane + HP Ground Combination is in Gen 5. Moltres wouldn't be bad, but it would definitely suffer some drawbacks.

What's a good EV spread for a tanky Stealth Rock setter Landorus-T?

The one I was using was the one suggested on http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/landorus-t
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spd
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

But someone told me to try this one instead:
EVs: 204 HP / 64 Atk / 240 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Would it be better to move some Def EVs to HP so that I have 248 or 252 in HP, and the remainder in Def, or run it exactly as he suggested?

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
What's a good EV spread for a tanky Stealth Rock setter Landorus-T?

The one I was using was the one suggested on http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/landorus-t
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spd
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

But someone told me to try this one instead:
EVs: 204 HP / 64 Atk / 240 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Would it be better to move some Def EVs to HP so that I have 248 or 252 in HP, and the remainder in Def, or run it exactly as he suggested?
Well I personally run this kind of Landorus-T

EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This set is mainly used to just take hits very well from Terrakion, Scizor, and Tyranitar. Stone Edge is only really hitting Volcarona and Kyurem-B, and has pretty shaly accuracy. I'm running a relaxed Nature because I don't care much for out speeding Pokemon. 88 Speed EVs with a Naive nature allows Landorus-T to outrun a number of notable threats, including Adamant Dragonite, Modest Heatran, Jolly Breloom, and standard Tentacruel, just in case your were wondering.

The set your friend mentioned run 64 attack to OHKO Dragonite after Stealth Rock, while the rest is bumped into Def and HP. HP Ice is generally a much safer option, which is why I prefer the first set.

Hope this helped, good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)