OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Generally the Brave Bird recoil doesn't matter as Skarmory can Roost off the recoil and heal it back with leftovers. It also helps chip in extra damage which might make the difference between a threat living with 10% HP or dying. Furthermore, CustapSkarm likes Brave Bird as a way to self spin block when at 1% HP.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Like I said before, Hyper Offense and DragMag get the job done. They are fast and end a game quickly, and are very efficient at what they do. They are my go-to styles when a suspect test comes up almost always. This suspect test I used: Custap Skarm / Breloom / Gengar / Alakazam / AcroSciz / ScarfChomp.

Thanks you. I have tried Hyper offense and it never seemed to work for me (Things died to fast). I will give Dragmag a try, however.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I generally ladder offence first for about 15 games, and this switch to stall. The whole point in laddering with offence is that most opponents you face in the first 15 games run pretty unorthodox sets, meaning stall can sometimes lose to them, offence however generally doesn't lose to these kinda teams. Another benefit of using an offence team is that it speeds up the laddering process, which makes it a lot less stressful and irritating. I switch to stall after the first 15 games mainly because I think it's more consistent in winning, but that's just me. If you believe offence is the best style for laddering, then carry on running offence.

I have always used Brave Bird on Skarmory. I can't tell you exactly when I got a kill with Brave Bird that I wouldn't have had with Drill Peck, but Skarmory doesn't do much attacking in the first place and the recoil has never been a problem for me. The times that it has, I ended up getting the kill on a major threat and have been able to Roost all of the damage back.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Landorus (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

EV's live two Stone Edges from Scarf Terrakion and outspeed base 70's before a boost. The rest is dumped into attack.

The list of counters for Dragonite says a few scarfers can OHKO through Multiscale but doesn't name them specifically. Any idea what they are? Or, for that matter, any other really stellar counters to Dragonite that preferably can kill it and not just wall it?

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
The list of counters for Dragonite says a few scarfers can OHKO through Multiscale but doesn't name them specifically. Any idea what they are? Or, for that matter, any other really stellar counters to Dragonite that preferably can kill it and not just wall it?
Well, it's pretty impossible to counter Dragonite because it can run so many sets. However, some solid switch in's include Landorus-T (with HP ice), Hippowdon, Skarmory, and Heatran (with HP ice). It's nearly impossible to OHKO Dragonite at full health, but once Multiscale is broken (which is pretty easy when you factor in Sand damage, and SR), plenty of Pokemon can revenge kill it. Pokemon such as Mamoswine, Latios, Terrakion, Scizor, and Keldeo come to mind.

Hope this helped.

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Kyurem-B comes to mind since his Teravolt ability negates Multiscale, Haxorus' ability does the same thing. Also, there are a lot of things that are faster than Dragonite naturally so they don't need a Scarf to outspeed, providing it isn't DD or hasnt set up yet. These pokes, such as Latios and Terrakion can OHKO through Multiscale with an attack boosting item like Specs, Band or Life Orb iirc. Also, if you need to run any calcs you can use this easy to use Damage Calculator. Hope I helped!

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oususpecttest-46911754

someone tell me a legit way to not get stomped by a leipard in this replay without CBNite/Mbounce/Mcoat.Priority Roar is impossible to battle against.
Late to the party, but whatever. The important thing to note about Assist teams such as this one is that they cannot run hazards (or they risk using SR instead of Roar / Whirlwind). They often rely on Mimic or Imposter to get that job done. The key there is to simply never let your hazard setter stay in battle for a setting move to be Mimicked or used through Imposter.

A Prankster Taunt from anything faster than Liepard will also completely shut down most Assist teams (unless they're running something like Choice Band Dragon Tail Kyurem-B). Try Tornadus or Whimsicott.

Bryce

Lun
Yea I learned how those teams work later.But Liepard can just shuffle your hazard setter out and switch to ditto.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Well you aren't taking entry hazard damage on your own, so you can just switch to something else as Ditto comes in - preferably something that can outspeed a Choice Scarfed version of your hazard setter that can also do some good damage to it. You can also use Terrakion as a hazard setter, since there's no way in hell Ditto's going to switch in on that.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I battled the same guy and the only reason I was able to win is because I stalled out his Assist PP with Protect on Tentacruel and Politoed (also, he couldn't have beaten Tenta just by shuffling because I only had SR and could heal with Rain Dish). So stalling out their PP works too, but they have something like 34, so it takes a while...

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm currently in the progress of making a Sun team (atm it's Tales / Tran / Venus / Cress / Hitmontop / Dnite) and I'm having difficulty selecting an appropriate Hitmontop set. I needed a Rock resist and I didn't want to stack Psychic types so I didn't choose Xatu / Espeon. Because Cresselia is already an amazing physical wall I was hoping there could be a more offensive or alternate Hitmontop set I could use - particularly one that makes use of Technician & Priority moves (as Dnite is the only other priority user). So my question is can Hitmontop utilize any more offensive sets in OU or alternates to the one onsite? Thanks in advance.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hitmontop itself is a pretty cool Pokemon, but to be honest it can only serve as a selective few roles. Considering you DO need a spinner on Sun that limits us in choosing something like Landorus-T > Hitmontop which can consistently beat Terrakion. But if you want to use Hitmontop in that spot, you could try an offensive Technician set with Mach Punch / Sucker Punch / CC / Rapid Spin which could work rather well. To be honest I would personally switch up DNite to a spinner and use Landorus-T > Hitmontop but thats just me.

Well, the only other rock-resisting spinner would be Sandslash. It is not that much stronger than Hitmontop, but has SD and EdgeQuake as well as Sand Rush for good measure. Unfortunately it gets screwed by Rain as much as Cresselia.

That said, we think your team need a bit more focus. Cresselia is, honestly a bit underwhelming in OU with Scizor and Tyranitar having that much usage. Latias is much better because of its speed, the consistent recovery and the typing synergy with Heatran, it allows you to take on rain more reliably.

just saying wouldn't donphan be better than sandslash?
Donphan @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
IVs: 24 Spd
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Ice Shard / Head Smash
This is the standard donphan for sun teams made famous by suns out guns out, while the set may be the standard you can add head smash to destroy gengar on the switch in, while ice shard is better at checking dragon dance dragonite and choice scarf salamence. while you can still maintain the rapid spin and stealth rocks. The speed ivs allow donphan to outslow hippowdown and rapid spin the stealth rocks away.

Now onto my question I am looking for a bulky froslass spread I remember seeing around the overused forums somewhere could someone give me the ev spread?

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
What pokemon work well with SD Life orb Lucario?

Gengar / Latios
Lucario is an excellent stall breaker, and it shares excellent synergy with Gengar and Latios. Lucario can easily beat Tyranitar and Blissey, which are considered the best checks / counters to Latios and Gengar, while Gengar and Latios can easily beat common physical walls that beat Lucario. Examples include Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Jellicent.

Custup Berry Skarmory / Forretress
Lucario is generally on offensive based teams, so a fast Pokemon that can stake hazards is a really great partner for Lucario, as the extra damage on Keldeo and Garchomp really helps Lucario sweeping late game, and puts a lot of pressure on your opponent.

Gothitelle
Gothitelle easily eliminates Lucario's common counters with it's ability Shadow Tag. With it, Tentacruel, Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Jellicent will no longer be able to wall Lucario, as they are easily trapped by Gothi. The great thing is that Gothitelle is Pursuit bait once it's trapped something, allowing Lucario to come in after Tyranitar or Scizor has trapped it, and easily set up. I recommend the Specs set.

Hope that gives you a few ideas, good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)