Tournament OU Player of the Week #33: dice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Banner by Skarm™

Welcome to the OU Player of the Week Project: Rebooted! For those of you that don't know, this is a project where I interview a tournament player and have you, the readers, leave any questions you may have down below for them to answer. The ultimate goal is to gain insight as to how they play this skillful and strategic video game. If any of you have a suggestion for who I should interview, feel free to VM/PM me, and I will take your suggestion into consideration. Now, enough of this boring intro. Let's get to it!

dice

Most Known For:

besides being reyscarface's boyfriend, i'm just your everyday tour player. if you don't know me, my favorite aspect of the game is analysis. i really enjoy understanding the nuances of both playing and teambuilding and adapting it to my own style. conversely, i enjoy trying new techs and ideas to add to a meta. i've always had a knack for understanding and spotting quality teams/players, and thusly became pretty competent at teambuilding / meta analysis. b/c of it, i'm pretty good at picking up new tiers and gauging meta potential of certain sets or mons. altho i've fallen out of favor in Contributing, i was/am a pretty competent tutor and team rater esp. for these reasons.

i think i'm known for my ubers and bw ou play mostly. i've been a pretty avid uberer since gen5 and have loved the way an essentially untouched tier inherently becomes balanced with smart teambuilding. i've always enjoyed the metagame theory and have kept up with it ever since. i started out playing in bw ou, so it's kinda like my 'baby'; i definitely have a sense of stewardship in regards to it.

i've done some other shit here and there, winning some shit like an ru open, making tour playoffs a couple of times, etc. i'm the us west captain for wcop this year, and i managed the cryonicles with reyscarface last spl.

Favorite Pokemon:

lugia and snorlax

Most used Pokemon:

my teambuilding vice in oras is probably latios. i always seem to use it as a crutch mon just because it has such fantastic resistances (keldeo, zard-y coverage) coupled with strong stabs. in a similar vein, starmie is definitely a mon i use a lil too often in dpp just b.c. it's so good at what it does. i always err in using balance too often, so i use these mons plenty. bw garchomp is my most used mon and i have 0 shame in that.

Can you tell us a little about yourself?

i'm a 20 y.o dude from good ol indiana. i'm going into my junior year at university and majoring in bio. i attend johns hopkins university and am a pre-med student. outside of my pokemoning, i'm into a quite a few media. i'm a voracious reader and movie/tv/anime watcher. i also play hella league of legends. i spend a lot of time on irc if i'm online, and the social aspect of it has kept me active on smogon.

Where did you get your name from?

when i was like 14 it always seemed like the best players in the mmos and shit i played had short yet Impactful usernames... so i sought out a word that sounded kinda cool and was relatively short. it's not deep or meaningful if u had ur hopes up.

How and when did you get into competitive battling?

i always enjoyed the cartridges as a kid but lacked wifi compatibility to play dpp online. i was on the hunt for a way to do so and eventually came across pokemon online. i joined the prestigious PokeBattleCenter community with ppl like lavos/donkey/blim and have played ever since.

How do you feel about how ORAS plays compared to XY?

i enjoy many of the new additions and vastly prefer some of the teambuilding restraints there are now as opposed to in xy (land-i, gard were ridic..). i enjoy the new shit oras provided, so i'd say i like it better in general. battles tend to be faster paced as well which i enjoy. i don't have any real reasoning tho.

To add onto the above, thoughts on the team matchup issue?

team matchup is an overromanticized concept. ppl chalk up losses too quickly to a Detrimental Matchup, but in all honesty a good squad can overcome pretty much every matchup. yea, sometimes u gotta outplay ur opponent to have a shot, but that's just the nature of the game. because u aren't given the same resources as ur opponent to start off a pokemon game, u have to make the best of what u have. some interesting concepts arise from this.

counterstyling exists purely to take advantage of ur opponents tendencies in tour play (see: panamaxis r1 wcop [3-0]). this leaves ur squad way more susceptible to threats, but it can maximize ur odds of winning if u predict a certain playstyle / pokemon. it's something i don't buy into as i prefer to take the safer route and make a more solid squad with a couple of neat techs for my opponent; less chance of a Big Reward (nigh on impossible to lose game) but it eliminates the possibility of ur oppo switchin it up big time. altho even counterstyle squads can be built to have a semblance of consistency, to have a true Counterstyle u gotta go all or nothing. havin a cm reuni by itself in oras aint gonna win a game singlehandedly vs a known balanced player. u gotta add some more shit to Ensure victory [or just go w. the safer method and not be as sound as u want vs the playstyle]. it's like a scale of safety/consistency and risk/ease of winning.

tangentially related, but this is why u gotta have a few key qualities to be a Good player. versatility is a major factor in both teambuilding and playing. to maintain an edge, u can't consistently have the same playstyle; u can never predict bloo's next move For Sure. u also can never predict heist's next team. it's just the intangible quality of uncertainty some players possess that make them Good.

Do you feel that there is anything that is suspect worthy at the moment?

naaaa, some pokes are super constricting, but nothing is over the top imo. the meta would probably improve with some dudes gone tho.

What's your favorite playstyle and why?

i think i said it above, but my favorite playstyle is balance. i enjoy having a Safe defensive core to back up my squad while having enough Oomp to not be ridiculously passive. i rly rly rly dislike passive squads and always make an effort to not have (what i label) "shitmons" on my teams.

What's your favorite generation of OU and why?

bw fosho. i mentioned this earlier too. i just started in this generation and spent the most time metagaming in it and playing in it. it's where i made my name. i also enjoy the bw meta a lot minus reuniclus and volc.

How do you go about preparing for tournament matches? Does the process differ depending on the tournament?

my process in tours is almost always the same. i always scout out some logs of my opponents if i'm unfamiliar with them just to get a general feel for their overall playstyle. i'll then build a team accordingly. if they're a more versatile player, i typically just make a squad i feel is good and just play to outplay. i don't spend a lot of time reviewin tape as opposed to some of my peers. i find it mostly to be a waste of time and would rather force my opponents adapt to my style than vice versa.

Who do you think will win WCoP?

well i hope west does!

Thoughts on the newly introduced Smogon Classic? Favorite to win?

it's an interesting dynamic to have an old gens tour fosho. i wish i hadn't fizzled out early due to my persistent pokeboredom kickin in (i dgaf about the game in several month periods if i get bored). i'm rootin for one of bab/rey/bkc to take it all.

If you could change one thing about OU, what would it be and why?

ideally, it'd be nice to eliminate some of the most restraining mons in the teambuilder. manaphy, while it isn't suspect worthy, is a total bitch to build against if you're using something other than ho. a few other mons have that issue as well.

Do you have any advice for newer players for playing, and for Smogon in general?

just join hella tours. you'll get good eventually. :^)

If you could change one thing about Smogon as a whole to make it better, what would it be and why?

i kinda wish there wasn't such a stigma around smogon / tournaments. there's always an air of Elitism tossed around from ppl who don't understand the culture here. there are standout examples of poor users in the community, but they don't speak for the genuine people i've met and continually interact with everyday on this website.

What players do you look up to / are good friends with?

my first ever smogon friends were bkc and bloo, (funny stories behind meeting both of them; u can probably ask) so i'm unfortunately stuck talking with them the most out of all the smogdudes i know. also, heist, honus, tdk, and badabing are some of my closer pals as well. shoutouts #dodriobrate: eo ut mortus, BLEUWIND (my true bf), rewer, jibaku, earthworm, reyscarface, nails (i just put him here so he wouldn't complain i don't really like him), pttp, rodan, silentverse, folgorio, yohoe, nayrz, and a few others!!! and of course all my west pals and almost all my cryonicles members!

friends aside, if i had to make a top 5 of players i look up to the most for various reasons (mainly consistency, game sense, and versatility) they'd be: mop, reyscarface, bloo, bkc, and ojama

for ubers: melee mewtwo, syrim, poppy, donkey, and jibaku

Finally, can you provide us a team that's a good fit for this metagame and reflects your playstyle, with a brief explanation of how it works?

immortal (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

pure (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Earthquake

principal (Scizor) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 60 Def / 120 SpD / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

11th moon (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 240 HP / 96 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Rest
- Rain Dance

inner sect (Serperior) @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare
- Dragon Pulse

epoch (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

i used this squad against pokebasket in r1 of wcop. the idea was using serperior + mega scizor as an offensive core; serperior can lure in several checks and counters of scizor with glare (heatran, zard-y, zard-x) so sciz is faster and can eventually overpower them once they're weakened lategame by teammates or hazards. sciz is a fantastic mon on balance since it checks some pesky mons like altaria, weavile, and azumarill which are huge thorns in most team's side. heatran provides a necessary talon check / hp fire lati and flamethrower clef check among many other duties while settin sr. i'm always a sucker for hazard removal, and latios fit the bill with its resistances and ability to lure in heatran for serperior. land-t provided the zard-x check and secondary thund check and is a general fastmon to revenge kill annoying threats like manectric and tyranitar if need be. manaphy rounded off the squad by being a water type (thus, heatran answer) and stallbreaker which i desperately needed. serperior is one of my favorite mons to use just b.c. it's so offensively threatening and checks manaphy which is HUGE for any balanced squad. the sets on this were made for my opponent, so they prob aren't as good now that i've posted it (e.g. eq latios) but it's still a pretty nifty squad imo.

---

Feel free to leave any questions you have for dice below. See yall next week!

Are you gay?
Does your mom know you're gay?
Who do you think the best oras players are currently (other than me ofc) ?
Why do you believe stall is the best playstyle in oras rn?
Why is resttalk helm chomp THE best mon in ou?
How do you feel about Hillary Clinton running for president?

I don't particularly care about Infernape, but you seem to particularly despise the usage of it in OU. Can you explain why?

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
An underrated mon on OU in your opinion?
Given your favorite aspect of the game is the analysis, do you play other strategic games (chess, etc)?
Hoopa is already in the boat, thoughts?
In your opinion, is rocky helmet chomp a neccesity in offense? Or just a neat addition cause it handles a good amount of pokes threatening to the style?
Given you watch quite a lot of TV, any favorite tv series of yours? Doesnt have to be recent.

Do you believe in Magic?
Will you add me on League? ign: JustJeff I'm Platinum...
How come whenever I throw money at my monitor, nothing happens?
Can you tell my why avocados have more potassium than bananas?
and can you firmly describe the feeling of when a dog sniffs another dogs ass.

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey dice, lick my weiner

What's your beef with Rotom-H? It's a devastating force in the ORAS OU metagame and truly deserves the respect of an esteemed user such as yourself.

Why won't you test teams with me? Bad captain alert imo

You, Ary, rey and I should go catch a movie sometime, I heard that new Fantastic 4 flick's supposed to be good. Lavos can come too if he's not banned from the theater.

Are you gay?
Does your mom know you're gay?
Who do you think the best oras players are currently (other than me ofc) ?
Why do you believe stall is the best playstyle in oras rn?
Why is resttalk helm chomp THE best mon in ou?
How do you feel about Hillary Clinton running for president?
only on tuesdays
only on tuesdays
the german duo of cosine180 and xray have been pretty impressive to me as of late, so those are two to look out for. destiny device, tesung, ben gay, and tdk are some of the players that standout to me as well.
"An Aggressively Played Stall Is The Best Playstyle" -Borat
is it?
she hot

hi dice!!! I FREAKIN LOVE YOU!!! lmao.

top 5 ubers players

fmk bernardo worms rey

fmk jibbers eo sv

do u luv me

pls
top 5 active players in no particular order are probably jibaku / hack / steel / me / x.... wow u kno a tier is desolate when i say steel...

m bleuewind f rey k worms

m eo f silentverse k jibaku

no

no

I don't particularly care about Infernape, but you seem to particularly despise the usage of it in OU. Can you explain why?
i don't Despise it but it's just not a good pokemon. it invites way too many threats in, is an inferior wallbreaker to other pkmn of a similar niche (see: keldeo) and the bulky set just never does anything when i see it.

lol hey

how's the midwest
lots of corn.

Just this please. love your ubers teams :]
well after getting banned on the po main server, i eventually headed to the 2nd highest populated server which was smogon at the time. much to my dismay, the ladder was much tougher than it was on po and i could't even break 1300 elo at the time when 1500 on po was a piece of cake. so i was like ayy lmao let me pm the dude who was #1 at the time and woo him into pming me his squad. the dude, with the user art of ruin, was actually online as i checked the ladder to see who it was. i pm'd him and he helped me out and then he told me he was bkc. like, at the time bkc was really a random in the scheme of things but i liked rmts and he was one of those 'ladder hero' types at the time who made like Peaked At 1500 [#7] type rmts. he was pretty fuckin bad looking bad and his team wasn't that great. but we've been good friends ever since.

for bloo it's kinda more embarrassing LOL. i was a troller and posing as a grill at the time so she hit me up and wanted to strike a convo for some reason. she was like a super moderator at the time and it was the biggest smogon authority figure i had talked to, so it was a lil weird. but we just started talking and shit daily. one hilarious moment looking back we both thing is hilarious is when i asked for a pic and we 'traded' with both of us sending pics of the opposite gender............... gender benders ftw. idk how i was fooled so easily. it was like a gay spanish looking dude. he had a fuckin pinky ring. wtf.

An underrated mon on OU in your opinion?
Given your favorite aspect of the game is the analysis, do you play other strategic games (chess, etc)?
Hoopa is already in the boat, thoughts?
In your opinion, is rocky helmet chomp a neccesity in offense? Or just a neat addition cause it handles a good amount of pokes threatening to the style?
Given you watch quite a lot of TV, any favorite tv series of yours? Doesnt have to be recent.
it's been seeing more use lately, but serperior is realllllllly fucking good and should be a lot more common. i actually have been keen on jirachi recently as well. not sure how popular it is on the ladder, but breloom is actually pretty dece too.
league of legends is da only other game i play.
plz ban
na. practically every team needs a ground type tho due to synergistic reasons and garchomp is the easiest to fit on offense. it's not a necessity, however. since it soft checks a lot of mons like bisharp, zard-y, sciz, etc. it's pretty hard to not use chomper at times.
sherlock is my favorite series my far

To what extent does ladder performance translate to tour performance?
the ladder nowadays is pretty weak, but it's a great tool to learn. you basically get a grasp of how to play well and it hones ur risk vs reward skill. you also need a halfway decently built team to climb. but there are lots of 'ladder heroes' who inevitably fail so idk. it's always a decent starting measure at the very least.

Will you add me on League? ign: JustJeff I'm Platinum...
ok i'm analyzation

im at jhu right now for a summer program. wheres your favorite hu spot? ive used those study rooms really far in the back because nobody seems to go there but they are also a bit creepy and musty.

also if ur still around campus lets meetup

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Why are you allergic to capital letters?
What was the motive behind starting as a girl online?

What are some Pokemons worth retesting in ORAS OU iyo?

I liked your BW1 squads a lot. I pulled a shakeitup and just remade that Shaymin/Zone team from your ladder games back then.

favorite team(s) in adv/dpp/end bw1

best battles you've ever had/seen, I won't discriminate between ladder and tours because we both know about the occasional "hot bat" that pops up on the former. describe why they stand out to you, even if vaguely and if possible give the log/replay

best breaking bad character/episode/scene/quote

remember the hp fire sharpedo team we made a few months after the initial encounter? I think it had azelf lead and am pretty sure we had scarfmence as well. you championed the pedo set as the "ultimate scizor lure" (didn't even mention ferro smh) and it did just that against lacerta in the first ladder game I tested it in

your diatribe on matchup was a good read.

kill yourself for using "tech" seriously ("u dont share techs with frens?" - bab)

I still have vivid memories of you pming me on irc as "scarlet" asking me to translate something into spanish... oh lejla, you stole my 15 y/o heart.

amg!

:heart:

Why are you allergic to capital letters?
What was the motive behind starting as a girl online?

What are some Pokemons worth retesting in ORAS OU iyo?

I liked your BW1 squads a lot. I pulled a shakeitup and just remade that Shaymin/Zone team from your ladder games back then.
because i don't see a reason to use them

b.c. bkc's hot

none; pokes should be removed more so than retested to ~improve~ the meta i reckon

Why did you shatter my heart into pieces for a Mexican?
have you seen bleuwind he's a 10/10 jesus

im at jhu right now for a summer program. wheres your favorite hu spot? ive used those study rooms really far in the back because nobody seems to go there but they are also a bit creepy and musty.

also if ur still around campus lets meetup
i'm not at campus and i don't really go out much so i can't provide much input.

Hello :o
Do you still play ladder games to test your teams or do you only practice with friends ?
i don't test teams

ever

i legit use my teams first in my games

What advice would you give to a fairly average to mildly competent teambuilder who wants to improve?
look @ the top dude's squads and try to justify how they were built and incorporate ideas into your own squads

favorite team(s) in adv/dpp/end bw1

best battles you've ever had/seen, I won't discriminate between ladder and tours because we both know about the occasional "hot bat" that pops up on the former. describe why they stand out to you, even if vaguely and if possible give the log/replay

best breaking bad character/episode/scene/quote

remember the hp fire sharpedo team we made a few months after the initial encounter? I think it had azelf lead and am pretty sure we had scarfmence as well. you championed the pedo set as the "ultimate scizor lure" (didn't even mention ferro smh) and it did just that against lacerta in the first ladder game I tested it in

your diatribe on matchup was a good read.

kill yourself for using "tech" seriously ("u dont share techs with frens?" - bab)

I still have vivid memories of you pming me on irc as "scarlet" asking me to translate something into spanish... oh lejla, you stole my 15 y/o heart.

amg!

:heart:

adv favorite team atm is probably your jolt / cune / gar / dug / tar / meta squad
dpp favorite team is probably heist's nidoqueen / bliss / clef / skarm / rotom-a / glis squad
bw1 favorite team is probably hugod's politoed / latias / gyara / loom / donphan / jira squad

LOL yes god bless sharpedo

stfu

of course

amg!

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
1) Do you have a specific process for learning a new tier? Like, let's say you wanted to pick up ORAS UU, where would you start? And how long would you theoretically work on learning said tier until you feel satisfied?

2) You've been on Smogon on for a while now, but I seem to remember you seriously getting involved with the community after your name. What was the impetus behind that change? What caused you to change your online persona and how you approached this site in general?

3) What separates a mediocre teambuilder from a good teambuilder? It's definitely an important skill to have, but it doesn't feel like something that every good player necessarily has. Is it a willingness to experiment backed by experience, or something more?

It's been a while man! I appreciate how you always took the time to explain the finer intricacies of competitive OU whenever I asked. You did a lot for OU QC back when I was on it, and I ain't never gonna forget it!

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
How do you Decide which words to Randomly capitalize in Your posts?
Would you rather only use words with less than six letters or only use words with more than 5 letters?
Did you teach BKC the word "diatribe?"
Does feeding with Riven give you masochistic pleasure, or do you suffer from your favorite coach LastShadow's Dunning Kreuger effect?
What do you consider to be your one true hamartia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)