OU: Heartache (My First RMT)

Straight and to the point. No fancy fonts or any stylings. Just font and pictures, because it did happen.

The Team at a glance:

OVERVIEW:

This team is VERY offensive. It's got some surprises, believe it or not. Strategies for this team rely HEAVILY on outpredicting the opponent. As you can see just from the team at a glance, it has the powerhouses of combat. Let's get into the team now, shall we?

Zeta
Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Modest - Adaptability
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Tri Attack
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
HP Water

---

Now, before you yell at me for the HP Water woes...Infernape leads seem to be taken aback by this. I was thinking of even exchanging it for HP Ground, seeing as Moltres is, like, nowhere in OU. Scarfing it gives it some High Speed, and stuff.

What will cause trouble here is the imminent Bronzong lead. T-Bolt and HP Water are only normal effective. Occasionally, I can see a Gengar switched in after the usual killing. This causes trouble assuming I used Tri Attack as my Normal Effective move if it was my option. I'm forced to switch to Gengar, then over to Chomp or Gyara as a result. Generally, those two Pokémon screw me over. Big time.

Garchomp with a Yache Berry can cause some pain, depending on the variation of YacheChomp.

Otherwise, I like him as my lead as it leads to unpredictability, and in most cases, a switch.

InfernRAPE
Infernape @ Life Orb
Timid - Blaze
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Nasty Plot
Grass Knot
HP Ice
Flamethrower

---

Wow. I have never seen this run once, and it just seems to work so well for me. It's one of my 3 Special Attackers, which is pretty nice. However, being as fragile as it already is, and having, like, nothing to back it up is pretty darn dangerous.

Kingdra, Starmie, Garchomps...the list goes on.

The reason this thing has no Close Combat is...well...surprise. While I admit it annoys me to heck whenever it's down to 1on1 Blissey vs. Infernrape, you WILL expect most Blissey to switch. Generally, Blissey is uncomfortable with an Infernape in play, and it switches out, allowing for a Nasty Plot or something.

RAGE
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Jolly - Intimidate
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Earthquake
Taunt

---

I have to admit, this very simple Gyara set works wonders for me. Waterfall + Earthquake is the best combination I can think of for attacks right now. I don't want to take that chance of Stone Edge leaving me to Get Rocked. Taunt works WONDERS on Gyarados. Skarmory and Swampert, in most cases an obstacle, get blasted away with stunning results.

Voltrage
Electivire @ Life Orb
Adamant - Motor Drive
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Thunderpunch
Ice Punch
Brick Break
Earthquake

---

You can prepare for a brutal beating if this gets a Motor Drive Boost.

Unfortunately, Tourney-wise, people are smart enough to actually *NOT* use Thunderbolt on gyarados.

Which is why there is some trouble.

Really, I haven't played in a Smogon Tour yet...so I wouldn't be able to test this until then. But for now...People actually continue to fall for GyaraVire. So...I can't test much without Motor Drive.

FEAR
Gengar @ Life Orb
Hasty - Levitate
136 Atk / 122 Spe / 252 SpA

Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Explosion
Mean Look

---

Actually, I think Focus Sash would be OK on this set. Explosion is supposed to OHKO a Mean Looked Blissey. Besides that, it can T-Bolt and Shadow Ball, pretty standard Gengar attacks. Mean Look also does well, which is why I was debating Sash. After all, it helps me figure out what to put in.

Anything that outspeeds him will kill him. I really don't need a list of counters here.

Tribulation
Garchomp @ Life Orb
Jolly - Sand Veil
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Swords Dance
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Fang

---

What? An OU Team with Garchomp? NO WAY!

Deoxys-S rapes this. Fire Fang owns Bronzong. Outrage...is...well...yeah. EQ is standard. And Swords Dance when I get the chance. This is as fast as possible for a Life Orb - Swords Dance Garchomp, so look out!

---
---
---
---

COUNTERS:

Deoxys-Speed:

Ugh. I don't know how many times I play him, but as long as I'm predicted correctly:

Porygonz: Superpower
Infernape: Psychic
Gyarados: Thunderbolt (Psychic is probably best here though)
Electivire: Fortunately, usually takes a hit and kills. Sometimes, a boosted (Psychic)
Gengar: Psychic
Garchomp: Ice Beam

A standard Deoxys set sweeps the team. Help.

Spiritomb:

Porygonz: Mean Look / Sucker Punch
Infernape: Hypnosis / Pursuit
Gyarados: Hypnosis / Pursuit / Taunt / Sucker Punch
Electivire: Mean Look / Sucker Punch
Gengar: Pursuit or even Mean Look / Sucker Punch for the KO. Possibly a Will-O-Wisp.
Garchomp: Hypnosis.

While it's not physically possible to have ALL these attacks, they all appear on Spiritombs.

So, yeah, I did my best to make this the best RMT I could. And, as you notice, First Post. So, no Flaming about n00biness.

HP Water isn't very helpful. Most infernape leads are either scarfed (outspeeding you) or have a focus sash so they can still set up their rocks. On top of that, Tri Attack is an OHKO already. Dark Pulse should probably go in place.

I agree, focus Sash on Gengar just about garuntees a KO as long as there's no sandstorm. Yeah, I like that Gengar.

Yache Berry on Garchomp works wonders, and helps it from getting raped by Deoxy-S. It's so cheap...

The rest of your pokes are pretty standard, and rightfully so. Solid offensive team.

Mind rating my team? :heart:

HP Water isn't very helpful. Most infernape leads are either scarfed (outspeeding you) or have a focus sash so they can still set up their rocks. On top of that, Tri Attack is an OHKO already. Dark Pulse should probably go in place.

I agree, focus Sash on Gengar just about garuntees a KO as long as there's no sandstorm. Yeah, I like that Gengar.

Yache Berry on Garchomp works wonders, and helps it from getting raped by Deoxy-S. It's so cheap...

The rest of your pokes are pretty standard, and rightfully so. Solid offensive team.

Mind rating my team? :heart:
Porygon-Z: Good point.
Gengar: Cool, thanks. But...then Explosion wouldn't OHKO Blissey, would it?
Garchomp: It would have to be coming in off a death, but it can make do.

Any other suggestions? Anyone?

1. Why do you have brick break on electivire over cross chop? Just curious.

2. I don't see the point of Mean Look on Blissey to get an explosion, since if it switches in on Gengar, it's probably not gonna switch out, so you can still explode on it. And if Gengar switches in on Blissey, Blissey might not stay in, and if it does, why use mean look when you could just explode? You don't have a sleep inducer on your team though, so you could replace mean look with hypnosis.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Straight and to the point. No fancy fonts or any stylings. Just font and pictures, because it did happen.

The Team at a glance:

OVERVIEW:

This team is VERY offensive. It's got some surprises, believe it or not. Strategies for this team rely HEAVILY on outpredicting the opponent. As you can see just from the team at a glance, it has the powerhouses of combat. Let's get into the team now, shall we?

Zeta
Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Modest - Adaptability
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Tri Attack
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
HP Water

---

Now, before you yell at me for the HP Water woes...Infernape leads seem to be taken aback by this. I was thinking of even exchanging it for HP Ground, seeing as Moltres is, like, nowhere in OU. Scarfing it gives it some High Speed, and stuff.

What will cause trouble here is the imminent Bronzong lead. T-Bolt and HP Water are only normal effective. Occasionally, I can see a Gengar switched in after the usual killing. This causes trouble assuming I used Tri Attack as my Normal Effective move if it was my option. I'm forced to switch to Gengar, then over to Chomp or Gyara as a result. Generally, those two Pokémon screw me over. Big time.

Garchomp with a Yache Berry can cause some pain, depending on the variation of YacheChomp.

Otherwise, I like him as my lead as it leads to unpredictability, and in most cases, a switch.
It seems very straight forward, though I know of no Garchomp that would stay in on a Scarf-Z Maybe it would occasionly, but not too often. Props on the original lead.

InfernRAPE
Infernape @ Life Orb
Naughty - Blaze
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Nasty Plot
Grass Knot
Close Combat
Flamethrower/Fire Blast

---

Wow. I have never seen this run once, and it just seems to work so well for me. It's one of my 3 Special Attackers, which is pretty nice. However, being as fragile as it already is, and having, like, nothing to back it up is pretty darn dangerous.

Kingdra, Starmie, Garchomps...the list goes on.

The reason this thing has no Close Combat is...well...surprise. While I admit it annoys me to heck whenever it's down to 1on1 Blissey vs. Infernrape, you WILL expect most Blissey to switch. Generally, Blissey is uncomfortable with an Infernape in play, and it switches out, allowing for a Nasty Plot or something.

Mix Ape is a better choice at wall breaking then that ape there, and with it you won't get walled by a blissy ever, or by the likes of Heatran.

RAGE
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant - Intimidate
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Earthquake
Ice Fang/Bite/Stone Edge

---

I have to admit, this very simple Gyara set works wonders for me. Waterfall + Earthquake is the best combination I can think of for attacks right now. I don't want to take that chance of Stone Edge leaving me to Get Rocked. Taunt works WONDERS on Gyarados. Skarmory and Swampert, in most cases an obstacle, get blasted away with stunning results.

I know taunt might seem good, but really Waterfall + Earthquake gets walled the hell out of by Celebi, might I suggest One of the above. Ice Fang for Dragons/Celebi. Bite for psychics and ghosts. Stone Edge for other Gyar. Adamant is better than Jolly because after one DD Gyar can already out speed non-Scarf gengar, and Deoxys along with Lorb it's deadly.

Voltrage
Electivire @ Life Orb
Adamant - Motor Drive
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Thunderpunch
Ice Punch
Brick Break
Earthquake

---

You can prepare for a brutal beating if this gets a Motor Drive Boost.

Unfortunately, Tourney-wise, people are smart enough to actually *NOT* use Thunderbolt on gyarados.

Which is why there is some trouble.

Really, I haven't played in a Smogon Tour yet...so I wouldn't be able to test this until then. But for now...People actually continue to fall for GyaraVire. So...I can't test much without Motor Drive.

I'm sorry to say this, but vire isn't all it's cracked up too be. He cannot take down that many NON fragile sweepers, instead of vire may I suggest a Donphan OR a Forretress? With those you can spin away stealth rock for your gyar and lay down your own.

Donphan Set:
Donphan @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Def

Sturdy
-Ice Shard
-Rapid Spin
-Stealth Rock
-Rest/Earthquake

He is also a fairly good Yache-Chomp Counter which would cause some trouble on your team.

I'll give you forretress just in case
Forretress @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
252 HP / 162 Atk / 96 Def

Sturdy
Stealth Rock
Rapid Spin
Earthquake
Explosion/Gyro Ball

FEAR
Gengar @ Life Orb
Hasty - Levitate
12 Atk / 244 Spe / 252 SpA

Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Explosion
Mean Look/Hypnosis

---

Actually, I think Focus Sash would be OK on this set. Explosion is supposed to OHKO a Mean Looked Blissey. Besides that, it can T-Bolt and Shadow Ball, pretty standard Gengar attacks. Mean Look also does well, which is why I was debating Sash. After all, it helps me figure out what to put in.

Anything that outspeeds him will kill him. I really don't need a list of counters here.

You want to be AS FAST as you can get with Gengar, don't dilly dally by not maxing it's special attack and speed, if the Explosion doesn't OHKO blissy then it will leave it with almost not HP left. Hypnosis is a quality move that every team should have as sleep is a terrible condition to have one of your pokes stuck with.

Tribulation
Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Jolly - Sand Veil
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Swords Dance
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Fire Fang

---

What? An OU Team with Garchomp? NO WAY!

Deoxys-S rapes this. Fire Fang owns Bronzong. Outrage...is...well...yeah. EQ is standard. And Swords Dance when I get the chance. This is as fast as possible for a Life Orb - Swords Dance Garchomp, so look out!

With yache You can stay in on ONE ice attack before dying and kill that damned Deoxys-S before it kills you. It only lacks Slightly less power than Life Orb, everything is still getting 2HKO'd
---
---
---
---

COUNTERS:

Deoxys-Speed:

Ugh. I don't know how many times I play him, but as long as I'm predicted correctly:

Porygonz: Superpower
Infernape: Psychic
Gyarados: Thunderbolt (Psychic is probably best here though)
Electivire: Fortunately, usually takes a hit and kills. Sometimes, a boosted (Psychic)
Gengar: Psychic
Garchomp: Ice Beam

A standard Deoxys set sweeps the team. Help.

Spiritomb:

Porygonz: Mean Look / Sucker Punch
Infernape: Hypnosis / Pursuit
Gyarados: Hypnosis / Pursuit / Taunt / Sucker Punch
Electivire: Mean Look / Sucker Punch
Gengar: Pursuit or even Mean Look / Sucker Punch for the KO. Possibly a Will-O-Wisp.
Garchomp: Hypnosis.

While it's not physically possible to have ALL these attacks, they all appear on Spiritombs.

So, yeah, I did my best to make this the best RMT I could. And, as you notice, First Post. So, no Flaming about n00biness.

'Bout time I replied on my best team to date.

To swordmaster:

1) For accuracy. Electivire happens to be pretty fragile, so Brick Break is my better bet. It's a 3-4HKO on a Softboiling Blissey. As for a WishProtecting Blissey, it takes a Critical. Naturally, I haven't seen one yet o_O

2) Mean Look stays. It leads to some of my set-up Pokémon (Gyarados, Infernape, Garchomp) depending on the Pokémon I can get it on.

To GE:

1) I sense a hint of sarcasm on my "original lead", XD.

2) Flamethrower > Fire Blast. It needs accuracy, as fragile as it is. And, fine, but what exactly am I to do against Flying types?

3) I plan to go with Bite over the others, actually. Jolly stays. It needs to be fast, and it's already powerful.

4) Yache berry it is.

If you're really that afraid of Garchomp, you could go with Download on Porygon-Z, as with a boost from Download (which will go to SpA due to Chomp's naturally higher Defense stat), you can even OHKO Yache-Chomp with Ice Beam. You could also make P-Z Timid so it outruns ScarfChomp, as even then you'll have enough SpA to OHKO Yache-Chomp (with a Download-boost of course).

Are Water pokemon that uncommon so people make teams with only one water resist that is x4 weak to a move that nearly every single one of them carries?

You really need a water resist unless you want to sacrifice a pokemon every single time a water attack is coming.

But I like the team, very similar to my first d/p team :cloud:

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1) I sense a hint of sarcasm on my "original lead", XD.

I actually really like the lead man :D

2) Flamethrower > Fire Blast. It needs accuracy, as fragile as it is. And, fine, but what exactly am I to do against Flying types?

Flying types will DIE to NP STAB Flamethrower, don't worry about it that much.

3) I plan to go with Bite over the others, actually. Jolly stays. It needs to be fast, and it's already powerful.

Jolly does prevent those speed ties with other DD-Dos's

4) Yache berry it is.

Excellent.

The Team at a glance:

OVERVIEW:

Zeta
Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Modest - Adaptability
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Tri Attack
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
---

InfernRAPE
Infernape @ Life Orb
Naughty - Blaze
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Nasty Plot
Grass Knot
Close Combat
Flamethrower

---

RAGE
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Jolly - Intimidate
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Earthquake
Bite

---

Voltrage
Electivire @ Life Orb
Adamant - Motor Drive
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Thunderpunch
Ice Punch
Brick Break
Earthquake

---

FEAR
Gengar @ Focus Sash
Hasty - Levitate
136 Atk / 122 Spe / 252 SpA

Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Explosion
Mean Look

---

Tribulation
Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Jolly - Sand Veil
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Swords Dance
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Fang

---
Version 0.2 in Bold.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)